PDA

View Full Version : In a literal sense, This song is VERY different than what you might think.

Systolic
12-02-2002, 06:28 AM
What a song... So many people think that Maynard is condemning others who sell out, but I beg to differ. I think that Maynard is actually condemning HIMSELF. He is saying that HE is the sellout, that HE is the one who gave himself away to make money. Perhaps he has some demons in his closet that we know not of... Probably so... But anyway, Here's some evidence pointing towards my theory:

"All you know about me is what I sold ya/Dumb fuck/ I sold out long before you had ever even heard my name/ I sold my soul to make a record/ and then you bought one."

I think that Maynard is kind of condemning everyone in that line. He's saying that he gave himself away to make it where he is.. He made tons of sacrifices, and sold himself to the record label.. just to make his record for fans who are going to buy into everything that he says... Kind of like his little "repeat after me" speeches in concert... he knows that everyone is going to fall for it, unless you have an open mind.. and that is what Maynard wants.. Honestly, I think that Maynard is suffering from his status in society right now. I don't think that he likes being where he is.. Kind of like Kurt Cobain... Lets just hope that Maynard doesn't go down that path.
I kind of started rambling just then... sorry...
But yeah, the song is about himself. I think that the "boy" he talks about in the beginning is probably the person who made him actually start thinking that he is the sellout, and he got pissed off about it. I mean, its kind of in the human nature to get upset when someone proves you wrong.. (And YES, Maynard is human, despite popular belief)
I think that this song has never gotten the credit that it deserves, and fans just see it as fun, fast, and heavy.. not demeaning, cold, and cruel like how I feel it was designed.
Open your mind, people... I'm only 15 years old.. and some of you older people astound me with your absolute blindness and stupidity..
I'm sure lots of you are pissed now... But.. if you can find anything to prove me wrong here, let me know. (I'm a guy, by the way)

-Zach

b0dah
12-04-2002, 02:37 PM
As true as your post may be, the last paragraph certainly shows that you're only 15 years old.....

GregoryWohlwend
12-05-2002, 01:02 AM
Yea he is 15, but who cares, everyone is a valid human being from the moment they record their first memory, who knows what children see or experience without being able to remember things. The young should be encouraged, not thrown to the side simply because of a number that society says is young, dumb and full of cum.
Anyways... i can see both sides of the song. Maynard didn't sell out in the sense that everyone else has, but the your self is your own worst critic. In order to put art out their to the masses one must interact with society and "sell-out" It is an inevitable consequence to extending ideas and art for a living. I can relate, as an artist, to his situation of selling out even though i havn't done it to his degree, that feeling of "selling out" hits you at some degree. It's an issue that he most likely thought was contradicting whatever he said, but addressed in an appropriate emotional and ruthless self exploration of his position. In my opinion though, Maynard has always stayed as true as he could to the expressive way of life. In a perfect world, all this art and expression media would be free and get to everyone that was willing to try it, because there would be no money, and then selling out wouldn't exist. That's all, if you wanna check out my art (::clench teeth in thoughts of selling out::) :-) goto

http://wu.sw0bes.com

Elite
12-05-2002, 02:13 PM
In an interview, Maynard says this about Hooker With a Penis....

"This is a song about unity, not cutting myself down."

Unless im interpreting this wrong, it obviously says that hes not cutting himself down. The whole interview can be viewed here http://toolshed.down.net/articles/text/strobe.dec.96.html

Divine_left
12-06-2002, 11:33 AM
Wait, so does this mean nobody picked up on that before? Man do I feel smart.

And another thing, I don't really think Maynard is putting himself down. He is more pointing out the fact that in order to be successful at all, you need to sacrifice something.

Every band you have ever heard of has sold out in one way or another, so stop using it as such a negative term.

Not that it matters, but I'm 16....looks like the youger ones have the advantage on this one.

jbeatty
12-07-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Divine_left

And another thing, I don't really think Maynard is putting himself down. He is more pointing out the fact that in order to be successful at all, you need to sacrifice something.

Every band you have ever heard of has sold out in one way or another, so stop using it as such a negative term.

I think Maynard is confronting everyone (real or fictional) who has ever accused him of selling out, changing, et.al. and telling them to fuck off. I really don't think it's any deeper than that.
Imagine you're a musician, and you run into a fan on the street that thinks he knows more about your music than you do. If I were in that position, I'd be pissed that this nobody presumes to know more about my decisions than I do.

Besides, you can't sell out if your actions are true to your intentions. (You can't sell out to yourself)
"Befor you point your finger, you should know that I'm the man"

Hogpile
12-08-2002, 06:07 AM
This song is the most cut and dry of any Tool song I''ve ever heard, and is also one of my favorites. I agree with everyone who posted on here except the guy who thinks Maynard is talking about himself. How the hell did you get that interpertation? I think Maynard met some moron at one of their shows, or on the street who told him he thought the band was selling out. Obviously, Maynard did'nt take too kindly to some numbnuts telling about his integrity. Maynard is going off in this song about how we are all consumers in a capitalist country, we all pay taxes, we all see products we want and buy them, we all have jobs to aquire the greenstuff, and therefore, we are all our own working part of The Man. We are all sellouts, in a way. This dumbass kid, who looks like he just got done shopping at the downtown mall, with some tattoos thrown in for the "look how dark, unique, and individual I am" effect is questioning him about his intentions with the music that he wrote. Unless you grow your own food, make your own clothes, and live in some bum-fuck egypt middle of no-where cabin that you built yourself with no electricity, and you are somehow able to dodge Uncle Sam and the IRS to avoid paying taxes, your are the man, and there is no avoiding that while living in a society. If you've ever been to a Tool show, then you pissed more than enough money away to Ticketmaster for your tickets, and what is a better example of "sucking off and laying down" than that?
As the saying goes.....the end justifies the means.

alzimmoralius
12-08-2002, 08:34 AM
I agree with that last comment...and also think it's a statement on modern art itself...

Everybody who signs a record deal could be seen as a sell-out, because if you don't wnat to sell any records, then why go through all the troubles of getting a deal? Especially nowadays, it's very easy to make your own cd's, and just ask the people in your neighbourhood to pay the ammount of money it cost you to make that cd, without any personal profits...

But is this selling out? In my (and I think Maynard's opinion as well), you're not really a sell-out just because you earn a living via music (or any other art), but you are when you adapt your art for the sole reason to tap into the commercial vein.

I think the lyrics to this song are hilariously funny and witty, describing that so-called fan perfectly...

fallout
12-08-2002, 06:07 PM
Well, there's not too much else to the song other than the fact that he's saying the the term "sell out" is a useless one. Every single artist does it. They sell their soul to make a record.

Kind of reminds me of an SP shirt a good buddy of mine showed me.

This is a Smashing Pumpkins t-shirt.
Rather than ask me why I'm wearing this ask yourself why am I reading this? The message is there is no message. One million souls tossing down their hard earned lettuce for a piece of hot rock indie alternative pie. I've sould out. How about you? Everybody's doing it even if they say they're not. Don't ask me cause I don't know. Rock saves. It's the next big thing. Have you heard the next big thing? I'm part of the revolution. It's all coming down soon.

In essence, trying to insult Maynard, or anyone else for that matter, by calling them a sell out, would be like trying to insult a mouse by calling it a rodent. There's no point to it.

ry.
12-08-2002, 06:40 PM
i agree with the more recent posts, i think that this song is just an expression of frustration, in a witty kind of way. in my opinion, this "boy" he met really caught him offguard and pissed him off. i believe this song is a straight-forward reply to an event simiar (if not exact) to the "meet and greet" described in the song. maynard then wrote extremely sarcastic (but true) lyrics to reply to this "boy".

Elite
12-08-2002, 06:44 PM
I agree with hogpile. This song is cut and dry. There doesn't always have to be a message behind every word. The song means exactly what Maynard is saying. I think you guys are turning it into something its not. All you have to do is listen to it and say, " Oh he's talking about some dumbass kid that walked up to him and called him a sell out. " It's that simple.

volcano lance
12-10-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by b0dah
As true as your post may be, the last paragraph certainly shows that you're only 15 years old.....
Fucking hilarious.