PDA

View Full Version : crucify the ego? ressurect the identity?

talibad
06-27-2007, 08:10 AM
i feel the ego is half of a whole, to crucify it/ego death is an essential part of spiritual growth but what about ressurecting it in such a way that it is tamed to the will of the higher self, i feel it's nessicary because without an ego/identity one cannot function in the physical world of nature. its just that more often than not the ego is the one in control wich in turn causes habitual bias's rooted in ignorance and self satisfaction and or ritousness, i think the whole point of the metaphore of turning lead into gold is the equivilent of tameing the ego and not completely throwing it away, its a part of us all and without it wed be catatonic to a degree. think, if the entirety of the world had tamed their egos but not lost there identities then technicly could we not all be selfish as we want as long as ignorance is ereased and we all work twards a common good for the world and ourselves while still retaining our identities and individuality, or is bias and ignorance what makes us individuals to begin with? discuss?

talibad
06-27-2007, 08:54 AM
I'm pretty sure this is one of those questions where anyone who knows how to answer it isn't allowed to.

whats holding them back?

ahhnevermind
06-27-2007, 09:12 AM
the ego is the part of the psyche that figures out how to manipulate the environment in order to achieve the goals/desires of the Id - your animal nature. To do this, it sets up the idea of "I", and it assigns truth values to things relating to "I" - I am a man. I am hungry. I cannot fly. I can't get this job, etc. - and these values dictate how "I" act.

While necessary to make changes to the environment in order to achieve goals, the positing of individuality (I, me) has adverse side effects spiritually - it is fundamentally opposed to the idea of ultimate unity, that we are all one mind, that the "light" (life) does not belong to the individual but INCLUDES the individual, obviated by the fact that life is no less present in the universe before my body or the moon was created or after either dies.

This is basic spiritual awakening, the same realization every religion's story is a symbol and myth for, including the crucification of christ (he was a human, crucified, then eternal). Thus, crucify the ego.

The song is about almost having forgotten that the individual isn't all there is, but rather just another vehicle (lifeless satelite) and manifestation of all there is - the source of light, whatever that is.

talibad
06-27-2007, 10:42 AM
the ego is the part of the psyche that figures out how to manipulate the environment in order to achieve the goals/desires of the Id - your animal nature. To do this, it sets up the idea of "I", and it assigns truth values to things relating to "I" - I am a man. I am hungry. I cannot fly. I can't get this job, etc. - and these values dictate how "I" act.

While necessary to make changes to the environment in order to achieve goals, the positing of individuality (I, me) has adverse side effects spiritually - it is fundamentally opposed to the idea of ultimate unity, that we are all one mind, that the "light" (life) does not belong to the individual but INCLUDES the individual, obviated by the fact that life is no less present in the universe before my body or the moon was created or after either dies.

This is basic spiritual awakening, the same realization every religion's story is a symbol and myth for, including the crucification of christ (he was a human, crucified, then eternal). Thus, crucify the ego.

The song is about almost having forgotten that the individual isn't all there is, but rather just another vehicle (lifeless satelite) and manifestation of all there is - the source of light, whatever that is.

another way of saying when one is to the point where they have one strand of light left to hang onto and begin to pull less they loose it completely. the light being life outside of identity and can one choose to bring an identity close to the light or even as so far as to go into the light?

as well can it use its closeness to or within the light to bring others closer