PDA

View Full Version : Incarnation

Dilettante
06-26-2007, 12:25 AM
When I first heard this track I thought of a human fetus floating in the womb. The music is so peacful and tranquil. In contrast, the sound of Parabola is energetic and vibrant. The words of both tracks seem to be pointing out that we are non physical spirits (eternal) that temporarily inhabit a phyisical body.

I am wondering, are these two tracks telling the story (from a spirits or souls perspective) of the process of incarnation and re-incarnation? Parabol - The soul becoming aware that they are inhabiting a human body whilst still in the womb. Parabola - After birth, and becoming more aware. Eventually realizing who they truly are again.

Parabol:
"This one, this form I hold now". Now! Has this one been another form previously?
"Wided eyed and hopeful. Wide eyed and hopefully wild". About to be born into the world, hopefully able to bring with them their true nature.

Parabola:
"Twirling round with this familiar parable". The story of life, being alive. A familiar experience to the human soul. Most of us have a sence that we have been here before.
"Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing". Can't find the words to express how extremly privalaged we are to be alive. Note how breathing is not mentioned in Parabol. Don't need to breathe in the womb.

There is so much more detail I could go into but the above is the general idea that I have about these two tracks (Parabol and Parabola)

Would welcome any comments.

MORNING_GLORY
06-26-2007, 10:28 AM
I like this interpretation, it makes sense. The womb would be familiar, and most definitely warm. The baby is embracing the mother through the umbilical cord.
Neat opinion.

ahhnevermind
06-26-2007, 12:02 PM
anytime you speak of temporal experience of the eternal you will necessarily be speaking of re-incarnation. it is also certainly about the womb, whether maynard intended that metaphor in particular or not - the fetus is potential. it is becoming housed within being. these lyrics could be spoken by either the fetus or the mother, the meaning is shared, and the interaction between the two is another symbol for eternity.

the fetus is us becoming - we are housed in a reality that to all senses is alive and complete, and yet there is a mystery as to what the source of that life is. in fact there are mechanisms controlling the very existence of the fetus which it could never understand in this reality - protein, chewing, lust, love, guilt, stomach trauma, organ failure - and yet it physically experiences via the umbilical cord in a different form. from experiencing this mystery we start getting a sense that there is a reality behind the one that we know, that supports the one that we know. (this is the third eye beginning to open).

the mother is us being - we are housed in an identity that to all awareness is alive and complete - I, me, alone. And yet there is this other potential growing inside. Experience of this potential yeilds an understanding that the supporting reality, the eternity behind this precious moment, must be inside us if it IS at all.

my favorite line in the context of reincarnation is "we barely remember who or what came before this precious moment". it captures this sensing of recurring existence (barely remember) and also notes the irrelevance and/or inadequacy of temporary organs like a brain and its memory system.

um... balls.

MORNING_GLORY
06-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Wow, nice elaboration... you guys put this song in terms I probably never would've thought of... and the best part is, it makes sense! There aren't really any holes to this interpretation.

Call it a coincidence, but I remember a thread (or threads) on this forum relating this song to Salvia Divinorum... which is interesting to me, because the effects of Salvia always reminded me of being born again for the first time, kind of like starting with a fresh palette.

parables in the world
07-05-2007, 03:48 PM
I had the same thoughts.

I hear lateralus as an album about human life, the spiritual and physical points. I also think that the re-order, if you believe it or not, is 6,7,5,8,4,9,2/3(since eon flows into the patient),10/11/12(D.R.T all flow into another),1,13. I like the way it flows and to me it tells a story from Birth to Death. plus some of the riffs,notes,beats,rhytmns end and start the same...I.E Parabola to schism.