PDA

View Full Version : Tool Has Changed My Life

Mantra
12-02-2002, 12:44 AM
Ever since I heard my first tool song on the radio I have loved this band. The more I heard of them the more I loved them. They quickly climbed the ranks of the best bands of all time in my mind until they were at the top, usurping such greats as Pink Floyd and Yes. But I had no idea how good they were until I saw them in concert.

I recently went to one of my first concerts, and it was the Lateralus tour with Tool and Meshuggah. I was incredibly pumped because I was about to see my favorite band of all time and Meshuggah was going to be there too.

The swedish rockers came out and blew me away as I heard New Milleneum Cyanide Christ live with the sounds swirling around me. It was one of the best experiences of my life, but still nothing compared to what I was about ot see.

After buying a Meshuggah sweater and having a breif discussion with someone who strangely resembled Adam Jones (i wonder if it was really him!) about the band I headed back to my seats where a now huge crowd awaited Tool. People started to gather around the baracades blocking the mosh pit as some pulsating music slowly go louder and louder. The lights went out and everyone stood there in the dark screaming. The suspense rose with the volume of the music and everyone became more and more psyched.

Finally the lights on stage went on as the band began to play one of my favorite songs by Tool, Sober. At this very instant they released the barricades and this huge swarm of people flooded into the mosh pit from all directions.

As the concert continued I was blown away. I totally released all emotion and inhabitons. I was one with the music as the lights and pot smoke swirled around me. I was filled like I had never before been filled, the experience was truly a spiritual one as much as it was a concert.

When they finally came to the last song, Maynard gave a speech about art, that touched me deep within my now bare soul. Then they started to play Lateralus, and I was lifted from myself into another world. The combination of the lights and the visuals with the most amazing music ever created was overwhelming.

After this concert I am truly a different person. I think diferently now, and I have a new apretiation for the music I have loved for so long.

I can't wait untill the next time they come to Arizona.

Microsoul
12-02-2002, 11:16 AM
Damnit! I was gonna post maybe something about TOOL changed my life and then seeing them in concert, but you just did. You posted just what I would of probably posted, except the Meshugga buying stuff part, and even the "I can't wait untill the next time they come to Arizona." fits because I live in Phoenix and saw them here......

stagger lee
12-03-2002, 05:31 AM
that is the beauty of tool - as an experience it can genuine challenge and change people. most fans of the band are real individuals although i find we often have a lot in common too. as i see it, tool is a great starting point for real life.

RNS
12-03-2002, 05:59 AM
I saw Tool for the first tim eearlier this year at UK Ozzfest, it didn't change my life in the literal sense, but as a musician Tool's live performance moved the goalposts for me- in terms of sound, visuals and intensity i learnt a humbling yet enjoyable lesson in live performance that day....and my band is better for it.