PDA

View Full Version : My initial and current take on the song...

blackgandhi
07-30-2003, 09:27 AM
The way that I have always viewed this track was as, yes, kind of a Hooker with a Penis part II, but also with an additional attribute. Look to the chorus and the post chorus line:

"Hope this is what you wanted.
Hope this is what you had in mind.
Cuz this is what you're getting.
I hope you're choking. I hope you choke on this."

If you remember the immense anticipation in the release of this album, being that we all waited six years since Aenima for a new Tool record. Just as any group would have in their career, there are millions of people who don't really care to understand the true art form and vision that is embodied by an artist, Tool especially. When I've seen Tool live, there is the common chant for Maynard, and then the common eruption when they begin to play Sober. As far as it goes for the mass population, they just want more Sober, Prison Sex, Aenema, Stinkfist and 46&2, because those are the singles. Obviously, with Lateralus, the album isn't really comprised of any true singles, as they went more the direction of say Third Eye and Pushit: branching into furthering their ability to create phenomenal, ever-changing climactic songs. Generally, the public doesn't immerse themselves into these types of songs, as they would with a Sober-like song.

All this being said, I believe that Ticks and Leeches, aside from the statement of these people taking so much out of him, is a way for Maynard to point a finger and laugh, so to speak, at the general music listener, who just wants a song that's heavy and more radio-friendly. I think this falls into a similar idea to the Timothy Leary ideal to think for yourself and question authority. Because, as I've learned myself, the masses are asses, and this song is the answer to that. Ticks and Leeches, I think is the heaviest song on Lateralus, and for the first half of the song returns more to an Opiate-type style. So, when people go and buy Lateralus, expecting it to be like Undertow, it ends up being quite a shock to an average listener.

In my view, the song caters more to the album as a whole, rather than as an individual unit; serving to ask the listener if the album is what they had in mind and if not shove off, because it is what it is. Ironically, but I don't think coincidentally, the song is at the heaviest level on the album, therefore encouraging the average listener who would rather hear a song like Sober.

This is just my take, and I may be rambling at this point.

BigCheese
08-05-2003, 12:15 PM
Yeah dude, I think you got it exactally. Possible, it could be for the Radio-Tool fans. Now, don't get me wrong, Tool songs are the radio are good, but it's those who's favorite songs include "I Know the Pieces Fit" and "Learn to Swim". It could be designed for the people who like that radio-friendly stuff to get this album, like that song, and then they'll be the ones who the song is talking about, but they don't know it. Which is what I REALLY love about this song. It's a great song, but I think it'll be for those radio fans to like, so they'll be attracted to it more than the others, and be completely oblivious to the fact that it's talking about them.

Or it's possible to be about people like us who just analyze to much that it's annoying. Either way, it's a great song.

(I wonder if that first paragraph made any sense)

Cylith
11-03-2003, 04:54 PM
Very good point. I like it quite a bit. (I'm not being sarcastic or whatever.)

I would like to add something of my own ideas. First off, we shouldn't assume anything...the songs could be about anything knowing Maynard (which we don't, but that only helps my point). In addition, even if we did know what Maynard means by a certain songs, you could interpret it differently--it can mean something else to you personally. For this particular song, I think that maybe Maynard made it a bit ambiguous on purpose so that anyone can relate to it.

Luna Galapogos
11-04-2003, 02:45 PM
I think is the heaviest song on Lateralus, and for the first half of the song returns more to an Opiate-type style.

Adam made mention of this song in an interview, and he said that it is hashed up from something that they came up with during the Opiate days. So really it is an Opiate song that got nudged up to Lateralus I suppose you could say.

corps d'allumen
11-22-2003, 12:47 PM
the order of f*ck you:

#5 jerk-off
#6 swamp song
#7 hooker with a penis
#8 ticks and leeches
#9 ...
#10 ...

i can only imagine where they're going with this.

mrman
12-09-2003, 03:56 AM
I really dont get what the big problem everyone has with song. I think it is an amazing song, the ending of it is soo powerful and emotional to me, its just awesome. As for what it means i think that it is kinda like a message to the "fans" of tool that worship maynard. It is just showing that shouldnt follow or idolize people in this world. I also think, through my interpretation of the whole albulm which i think is mostly just about different aspects of life, in context it is just showing how people in this society just latch on to something and gradually destroy it. Anyway it doesnt really matter, awesome cd.

AllforUnity
12-09-2003, 01:01 PM
Interesting "order of fuck you." l'd like to know the answer as well...

l guess we will only see with time.

Swim On
02-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Yeah dude, I think you got it exactally. Possible, it could be for the Radio-Tool fans. Now, don't get me wrong, Tool songs are the radio are good, but it's those who's favorite songs include "I Know the Pieces Fit" and "Learn to Swim".

Which makes me wonder if that's the reason it's the simplest title on the track list. I always felt humbled by the unique-ness of titles like Parabola and Faaip De Oiad, but it felt like Ticks and Leeches sounded very, very...normal, shall we say?

corps d'allumen
03-06-2004, 09:27 AM
Interesting "order of fuck you." l'd like to know the answer as well...

l guess we will only see with time.
Also, i said that in another forum and someone said they thought that tool had 2 albums left in their contract. track ten on the last album will say 'We're Rich, Bitch!"

ÆnimaticEnigma
03-25-2004, 06:53 PM
In my view, the song caters more to the album as a whole, rather than as an individual unit; serving to ask the listener if the album is what they had in mind and if not shove off, because it is what it is. Ironically, but I don't think coincidentally, the song is at the heaviest level on the album, therefore encouraging the average listener who would rather hear a song like Sober.

Uh.. I'd agree, but think about the album as a whole. I know the mood of the song doesn't quite fit the album very well... unless you consider The Grudge(even though i think that one's about letting go and starting over...): The Album Is POSITIVE.

Lateralus is about a few things: finding a deeper consciousness(like expanding your mind, and the varied meanings of songs help define it), falling out/reconciliating, and some other interpretations exist. I find the first one to be pretty accurate.

In Lateralus(the song), he uses the Fibonacci Sequence to help enforce his meaning(look it up to find what I mean: Fibonacci Sequence songs or somehting). In the Grudge, he talks about Saturn Ascending (check astrology saturn ascend). I'm not sure about Parabol or anything else, but I'm pretty sure its a POSITIVE album.

Ticks & Leeches being about saying literally Suck It wouldn't fit. I don't think Tool intended that at all...

Good point nonetheless, and if i just heard the song I'd agree

TheHolyGift
10-13-2004, 02:30 PM
I also have never understood everyone's problem with this song. I find it amazing... The drums throughout, Maynard's tense, angry vocals and that part right after the quiet interlude.... whatever. It's an interesting interpretation you've got, but it doesn't wotrk for me.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-13-2004, 03:15 PM
It's fucking brilliant. It's a good addition to the album; and well placed too.

I WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH YOUR MOUTH, GIFT. REGARDLESS OF YOUR GENDER.

TheHolyGift
10-14-2004, 07:57 AM
If you have sex with my mouth I'll choke and you'll say "Suckin up all you can, suckin up all you can suck."

I don't blame you either, everyone wants to fuck my mouth.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-17-2004, 07:49 AM
But you still havent told me if you're a dude or a chick. I dont care which one you are; I still want oral sex from you. Look how smooth his lips are.

TheHolyGift
10-17-2004, 10:30 AM
I'm a guy. And check this month's issue of Playgirl, in which my mouth is the centerfold.

Triangular_Vision
10-18-2004, 04:42 AM
it kinda looks like you have a load in your mouth gift.

TheHolyGift
10-18-2004, 11:44 AM
I've been wondering what that is lately...

Cyanide ChrYst
10-19-2004, 04:20 PM
*buttons pants discretely*

TheHolyGift
10-26-2004, 07:56 AM
Why don't you unbutton them pants, man meat

Kapoo
01-23-2005, 08:10 AM
The way that I have always viewed this track was as, yes, kind of a Hooker with a Penis part II, but also with an additional attribute. Look to the chorus and the post chorus line:

"Hope this is what you wanted.
Hope this is what you had in mind.
Cuz this is what you're getting.
I hope you're choking. I hope you choke on this."

If you remember the immense anticipation in the release of this album, being that we all waited six years since Aenima for a new Tool record. Just as any group would have in their career, there are millions of people who don't really care to understand the true art form and vision that is embodied by an artist, Tool especially. When I've seen Tool live, there is the common chant for Maynard, and then the common eruption when they begin to play Sober. As far as it goes for the mass population, they just want more Sober, Prison Sex, Aenema, Stinkfist and 46&2, because those are the singles. Obviously, with Lateralus, the album isn't really comprised of any true singles, as they went more the direction of say Third Eye and Pushit: branching into furthering their ability to create phenomenal, ever-changing climactic songs. Generally, the public doesn't immerse themselves into these types of songs, as they would with a Sober-like song.

All this being said, I believe that Ticks and Leeches, aside from the statement of these people taking so much out of him, is a way for Maynard to point a finger and laugh, so to speak, at the general music listener, who just wants a song that's heavy and more radio-friendly. I think this falls into a similar idea to the Timothy Leary ideal to think for yourself and question authority. Because, as I've learned myself, the masses are asses, and this song is the answer to that. Ticks and Leeches, I think is the heaviest song on Lateralus, and for the first half of the song returns more to an Opiate-type style. So, when people go and buy Lateralus, expecting it to be like Undertow, it ends up being quite a shock to an average listener.

word fool