PDA

View Full Version : I was never a big fan of Paul's playing

Technicolor
12-01-2002, 09:01 PM
But I must say the opening bassline is kind of delightfully funky.

Stinkarm
12-03-2002, 08:37 AM
i didnt really like pauls playing much either, he uses a pick =(

metal detector
12-03-2002, 02:27 PM
so does justin.

cantfindawayout
12-03-2002, 06:59 PM
but anyway...the use of a pick doesnt guage talent. a pick isnt any better or worse than pluck or slap, just different. Different sound is achieved etc. I think both paul and justin are extraordinary musicians and their styles both suit tool's very well.

flipmojo
12-03-2002, 10:39 PM
You must not like, the all-time classic, sober.

hateandvaseline
12-04-2002, 05:50 AM
I'm not being oppositional when I say that I enjoy hearing Paul play the bass rather than Justin.

paraflux
12-06-2002, 07:33 AM
Yes Justin uses a pick too. I have tried to justify the need for a bass pick in tool, and I have decided that if I played bass with them I would use one too. They are very precise, and the bass tone that I think fits is the sharp picked sound. I have always bashed bassists who pick, but that's mainly because I watched P-Nut when I was in college and he is just amazing. I wanted that funky energy-filled groovy style, and that's best played with fingers. But, to each his own, I will probably never be in tool so I will probably never play with a pick. :-)

Paul is not a bad bassist. He puts good bass in a song which is what a good bassist does. He just doesnt have the all-aroundness Justin brings to the table. Justin can be very melodic, and can move with Danny a little more freely, which gives danny a chance to open up even more.

xSaveXmondaYx
12-10-2002, 03:33 PM
i think that justin is a bit better because his basslines seem a bit more complex and wasn't paul a guitarist before ?.. and doesn't he still play guitar?....well anywho, i think the song is just really awesome because of that funky bassline

crazypsycho6666
03-24-2004, 07:04 PM
I like both but, i have a hard time actually hearing justins, and paul's lines are easier to hear

AllforUnity
03-25-2004, 07:42 AM
l think it's TOOL and it's all great.

Luna Galapogos
03-25-2004, 02:37 PM
I always saw Paul's bass lines as more "funky" than Justin's. That is a good thing depending on what you are going after. I think that Justin's style fits TOOL better because he has a sound behind him when he plays that has an aura of power. I can personally feel a more "intimate" power coming from Justin than Paul. I do think that Paul is an excellent bassist however, just not the better fit for TOOL.

Mr Omnipotent
06-21-2004, 01:29 PM
its hard to hear justin, paul you can hear and it sounds more volger and disgusting... if that makes more sence

brilliantname
06-24-2004, 05:58 PM
Yes it does. On Opiate and Undertow, Tool had kind of a more disgusting sound than on Aenima and Lateralus thanks mostly to Paul's style. You can even notice the difference on the songs on Aenima that Paul wrote the bass parts for.

Mr Omnipotent
06-24-2004, 07:20 PM
which songs were they?

swaps
06-24-2004, 08:05 PM
Pushit, Stinkfist, Eulogy, and Ænema.

Et in Arcadia Ego
06-25-2004, 08:58 PM
I wanted that funky energy-filled groovy style, and that's best played with fingers. But, to each his own, I will probably never be in tool so I will probably never play with a pick.
Yes, there is a big difference of one person's playing style and anothers... You can also bring in Iron Maiden here and talk about their bass player... I'd suggest his bass lines might be easier to play with a pick, but he uses his fingers (one or two at most), which seems impossible... At least it makes mine go numb within about 10min so I don't know how he does it, but the way he plays is the way Iron Maiden sounds... If he changed then Iron Maiden wouldn't be Iron Maiden anymore, it just wouldn't work...

It's funny like that... I'm not bothered by either Paul or Justin... IMHO, I think Paul would have made songs from Ænima sound very different... But that's just the way things work... You can't replace someone and expect the replacement to emulate them...

Pushit, Stinkfist, Eulogy, and Ænema.
Interesting that Justin gets so much respect from his playing on Ænima... Would it have been the same if Paul played?

Mr Omnipotent
06-25-2004, 11:25 PM
yeah have you noticed after paul left, maynard dropped the deeper and throaty voice and got a softer and more melodic voice... relation? mayhaps? <_< >_>

Mr Omnipotent
08-04-2004, 01:02 PM
les claypool is the best bassist ever... EVER

forth eye
08-06-2004, 02:41 PM
i prefer justins style but it could just be because i think the songwritting as a whole progressed as the released more albums and so as justin came in as they were improving it isnt realy a surprise to me that i prefer his playing so i find it kinda hard to distinguish between whether it is his playing, his music writing style or the songs as a whole that i like more.

metalwarriorx
08-07-2004, 12:47 PM
i think that it was paul that gave tool that darker and moody tones in opiate and undertow cuz he doesn't really use the high frequencies on bass. Justin really uses a lot of high frequencies and comes up with some cool melodic tunes.

i play bass and i think both are very good bass players that come up with awesome basslines its just that paul has a heavyness to his playing. Oh and yeah, that bassline on hush is pretty damn sweet.

Red Eye Jedi
08-07-2004, 01:41 PM
hmmm as a bass player I would have to say that it is not neccisarily easier to play with a pick, so I wouldnt judge either of them by their style of bass playing, rather how it sounds with the whole band. The most intense and technically challanging bassline may also take away from the sound of the song as a whole. In which case I believe both bass players are do a great job in the band... but there does seem to be a change in maynards vocal styles with the different bassists. Which shows some of maynards dexterity as an artist.

forth eye
08-08-2004, 02:56 AM
i play guitar but for a while i played bass in a band and i always played with a pick. i found it so much easier but thats probably because i was used to it on the guitar.

majorhugebigtimetoolfan
08-08-2004, 06:06 AM
l think it's TOOL and it's all great.

Totally Agree

Red Eye Jedi
08-08-2004, 01:37 PM
they both play with a pick. and i used to play bass, and maybe just because guitar is my primary instrument, but i'd say playing with a pick is simple. you can play notes really fast with a pick very easily, without one it's hard to do, especially for a long time. i would even go as far as saying playing without a pick sounds better. you have several options as to how to play: slapping, popping, plucking, tapping, etc.

just a side note: if you know how to tap on bass or guitar, it's really fun :D

Maybe its because i played classical bass for almost 8 years before starting electric, but i find it much easier to play with my fingers... except the pinky... i had to teach myself to use a pick because i was so used to playing the upright bass where all you use is your fingers and a bow. so that would be the basis of my last comment. There are actually excersizes you can do with your fingers to make it easier to play for a long time. They work for bass and guitar and will strengthen your fingers like nothing else.

radmanics
08-14-2004, 06:38 PM
Personally I prefer Justin; his bass lines are more of a second melody - I have often mistook bass lines for guitar parts until I noticed the tabs (Grudge being a good example). Paul's bass lines are more of a "normal" bassist - they're a harmony, or supplimentary part of the music. Justin is more a second guitarist I think.

I find it a hell of a lot easier to play cords with a pick... how you can play 4 string cords with your fingers is a bit beyond me (but that might be because I have small hands).

And in reference to the Iorn Madien bassist, if you ever watch how he plays, he just taps the string.. this sugguests he uses a lot of gain on his amp/effects, so a small vibration still creats a loud noise.

AllforUnity
09-03-2004, 09:07 AM
Thank you kind sir. lf you're a sir.

scummonk
10-13-2004, 03:12 AM
I play Bass and Guitar and i alternate using and not using a pick, all really depends what your doing, it doesn't make u less a player.

AllforUnity
10-13-2004, 11:00 AM
Matt Freeman uses picks and his fingers. He's still the best.

Petary791
07-31-2005, 11:05 AM
I love him. I used to be like, "PICKS ARE SATAN" and stuff, but after hearing him and JC, I appreciate picks. Notice I said APPRECIATE. I don't play with them, but they do have their place.

Paul's tone is one of the best Rickenbacker tones i've ever heard.

bluefire
07-31-2005, 01:08 PM
Paul was much more funky and fun, whereas Justin is much more cleaner and matter of fact. Justin is the better bass player for the direction tool has gone as of late. Paul was better for their early stuff, though.

triad636
07-31-2005, 02:23 PM
Justin can be very melodic, and can move with Danny a little more freely, which gives danny a chance to open up even more.

its funny that you said that because i have noticed while watching bootlegs that justin 90% of the time will turn and face danny they both seem to feed off of each other's energy

bluefire
07-31-2005, 06:07 PM
or maybe he faces the drummer to aid in his timing

killershears
09-05-2005, 01:17 PM
You must not like, the all-time classic, sober.

Tool is my favorite band ever, but that song just totally sucks.

philipg
09-03-2006, 11:43 AM
i think that justin is a bit better because his basslines seem a bit more complex and wasn't paul a guitarist before ?.. and doesn't he still play guitar?....well anywho, i think the song is just really awesome because of that funky bassline

justin was a guitarist before as well
check out peach

Chronicle0
09-04-2006, 06:54 PM

Um Jaco > Les claypoop.

Wait... stop derailing the thread!

I like thumb/slapping this song. I thumb the first two notes and the 5th and 6th. then i pluck the 2nd and 3rd then the 7th and 8th.

mr. nikki jensen
01-12-2007, 10:10 AM
paul did a good job on both opiate and undertow.

still one of my favourite bass players

orcaloverbri9
01-18-2007, 09:39 AM
I agree with redmanics. Until I learned to distinguish between bass and guitar, Tool's songs confused the hell out of me because I swore I was hearing two guitarists. Justin is like a rhythm guitarist who plays bass. Listen to Lateralus or Rosetta Stoned, and you'll clearly hear Justin's bass line at various points, with Adam layered over it (this sounds really really good in Rosetta Stoned). And you can't forget Schism.... Also, I much prefer their post-switch sound.

The moral: I like Justin better.

polly wants a cracker
02-09-2007, 03:58 AM
I'm listening to Undertow now and I got to say that Paul was a one motherfucking great bassist. Especially his sound was awesome.

thezeusanator
03-17-2007, 09:10 PM

Roger Waters used a pick

Mattywasaracecardriver
03-19-2007, 06:53 AM
this song does have some proper funk to it, it just sums up the stage they were at with their career as musicians. many of the songs seem to hold their own style, each exploring the new way forward. listening to 10000 day, youwould never guess that this was what the band first started out like. still i like it both.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
04-04-2007, 08:29 PM
^ Aggreed.

HelenA
04-27-2007, 01:10 AM
I think Paul RULES on this song! Awesome bass. Nicely mixed as well.

EternalEnergi
05-31-2007, 05:09 PM

so does justin.

So does my bass player. I like it.

EternalEnergi
05-31-2007, 05:14 PM

What about Victor Wooten, or Geddy Lee.

The Red Yehti
07-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Paul and Justin are both great bassists in my opinion. I dont have musical talent and i dont analyze music, so I will take Justin over Paul on the basis of stage presence. Justin fits perfectly with the rest of the band on stage. Lots of times hes the only guy in plain view, near center stage. Danny behind his drums, Maynard,just a shadow,or, mixing in with the screens behind him, and Adam wayy off in the dark corner, barley moving. Paul looked like a drunk skater dude, wearing shorts and ratty old t-shirts, while weaving and jumping around the stage.

dxs
06-28-2008, 04:17 PM

And what's wrong with that...?

Rolo
06-28-2008, 04:22 PM
^
DXS = Thread re-animator

dxs
06-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Really?
I thought I killed them, most of the time.

Rolo
06-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Really?
I thought I killed them, most of the time.

Only the newer threads...

Maybe you're reanimating the old ones just to kill them again?

dxs
06-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Well, everything dies sooner or later.
Someday, even you, Rolo, will die.

By that time, whoever kills you is insignificant :P

Rolo
06-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Well, everything dies sooner or later.
Someday, even you, Rolo, will die.

Outch, that news came like a ten ton hammer...

dxs
06-28-2008, 04:45 PM
What, you never knew?

Who raised you without telling you that?

Rolo
06-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Just some men with white coats who like to take samples and tests, like everybody else...

...now i'm confused :(

dxs
06-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Just some men with white coats like everybody else...

...now i'm confused :(

You are an amazing one, my friend.
Living a normal life in spite of your wacko childhood.

Rolo
06-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Don't you have a padded room?

dxs
06-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Not fair...!
I got a garage.

Rolo
06-28-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm no big fan of Paul's playing either.

dxs
06-28-2008, 04:58 PM
is that why you got a padded room?

Rolo
06-28-2008, 05:00 PM
No, i had to get out of there because they needed it for someone else. Later i saw the nametag had been changed to "P. D'Amour".

dxs
06-28-2008, 05:02 PM
No wonder you don't like his playing...

The men in white suits chose P. D'Amour over you...
>.<
So it wasn't just a weird childhood, it was a neglecting one.

Rolo
06-28-2008, 05:04 PM
The men in white suits chose P. D'Amour over you...

Being a genious or a nutcase; where's the boundary inbetween?

dxs
06-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Being a genious or a nutcase; where's the boundary inbetween?

I think it depends on how you appeal to the men in white that determines your fate.

Rolo
06-28-2008, 05:09 PM
^
True. I came up with the "men in white" stuff because i'm reading Dean Koontz's "Frankenstein" part II.

dxs
06-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Right now?

Rolo
06-28-2008, 05:29 PM
No, too busy responding.

dxs
06-28-2008, 07:12 PM
For a minute, I thought you were an amazing multitasker.

Rolo
06-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Sorry.

Rolo
07-12-2008, 03:19 PM
DXS, what are you reading lately?

dxs
07-12-2008, 07:58 PM
The other day, I read the following:

Edith Hamilton's Mythology.

In order to finish the piles of summer homework bestowed upon me.

Rolo
07-16-2008, 02:36 PM
The other day, I read the following:

Edith Hamilton's Mythology.

In order to finish the piles of summer homework bestowed upon me.

I've always liked the classic mythology's alot. A few years ago my girlfriend and I used to make trips to places like the mainland of Greece, Egypt and Italy. Now, with the kids and all, we'll have to wait a few years before we'd do so again.

Inner_Eulogy
07-17-2008, 04:50 AM
I've always liked the classic mythology's alot. A few years ago my girlfriend and I used to make trips to places like the mainland of Greece, Egypt and Italy. Now, with the kids and all, we'll have to wait a few years before we'd do so again.

That would be awesome

dxs
07-18-2008, 12:50 PM

That sounded great, dude.

What Greek god do you relate the most with?