PDA

View Full Version : Fret for your pilot??

Cheesegreater
06-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Sorry, just curious what the hell this means.

Fret for the guy commandeering your plane, or fretting to see if you get to have your pilot show air on TV. This song is about California, so I think the latter could be it as well. Don't know. Any thoughts?

toolloot
06-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Rich people who have like pilots to fly planes?

martyr_02
06-06-2007, 05:07 PM
I would say it means the latter of the two descriptions. If you think about the context of the song (surrounding the bullshit of L.A.) it just makes more sense

Cheesegreater
06-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Yeah.. I think it could be about airing a show, given the location.

TomcatSwrs
06-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Yeah, I always thought it was about airing a TV show. It just flows with the context of the song.

Kangaroo_hung_me2
06-08-2007, 01:12 PM
and he talks about actresses

fuxking
06-14-2007, 05:53 AM
maybe he is hinting at pilate, as in pontius pilate

Cheesegreater
06-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Doubt it. How could you fret for a guy that already bit the dust?

fuxking
06-17-2007, 12:30 PM
People fret over jesus all of the time, he's dead right?

And maybe he doesn't mean the actuall fella, but more about what he and the bible stand for as a whole... it's a lot more fun to say pilot and mean pilate than to say bible.

InsideTheOutside20
06-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Wow, he is really serious...

fuxking
06-18-2007, 02:42 PM
who me? i'm only as serious as I could be posting about a song someone else wrote... it's just my take

Ghostwriter
06-22-2007, 07:19 AM
Most likely just referring to an airline pilot... Wouldnt alter the song if it was different anyways...

Ghostwriter
06-22-2007, 07:19 AM
maybe he is hinting at pilate, as in pontius pilate

No.

Inner_Eulogy
06-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Most likely just referring to an airline pilot... Wouldnt alter the song if it was different anyways...

I agree it's most likely pilot as in airplane pilot, hoever, I also think pilot as in pilot episode could make sense given the circumstances.

Cheesegreater
06-22-2007, 11:10 AM
I agree it's most likely pilot as in airplane pilot, hoever, I also think pilot as in pilot episode could make sense given the circumstances.

I really think he's referring to a pilot episode. Think about the context.

fatlittleparasite
06-22-2007, 02:31 PM
I really think he's referring to a pilot episode. Think about the context.

yes - i always assumed this. hollywood types don't worry about whos flying the plane. they worry about how they look on the plane.

Cheesegreater
06-22-2007, 02:52 PM
yes - i always assumed this. hollywood types don't worry about whos flying the plane. they worry about how they look on the plane.

Haha!! Totally. Also, this may be disputed and I should start another thread, but he says "Mactresses" instead of actresses. A "mactress," spoken like "matress" is a woman who is striving to be a model or actress, whichever gets her foot in the door. People have used this term before, and it's kinda used in a condescending tone. As in, these women are dying for acceptance and fame, and they'll do anything for it. Also, because of which line of work they're in, they're usually pretty dysfunctional and insecure. Think about a beautiful model yelling in the mirror, "You're so fucking ugly! You don't deserve to eat you fat whore!!" So I think he's calling out those types in this song as well. It just makes sense with the whole Hollywood theme this song presents.

dice5199
06-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Pontius Pilate...lol

It is funny to read an explanation that is quite a stretch to say the least. However, I'll give credit for creativity. I'll admit, I also have been guilty of overanalyzing lyrics and coming up with some far out song meanings. Tool has a way of bringing this out in us.

Here's my take. This song rails against the elitist culture in LA. Prominent amongst this group are people in show business (i.e. producers, directors, actors). If the pilot episode of a show is received poorly, then the show gets canned and the people involved in the show become unemployed.

All this talk about pilots reminds of that conversation in Pulp Fiction.

PShepherd11
06-22-2007, 06:03 PM
I've always just thought he meant an airplane pilot, I never really thought about the pilot episode meaning, but that makes a lot of sense.

jpoling13
06-28-2007, 02:58 PM
I always assumed it was an airline pilot, but the next line of the song is "fret for your contract", which leads me to believe the tv pilot theory.

J Stebbins
07-05-2007, 02:33 AM
I always thought he was taking about those Palm Pilot's, the little PDA things.

Cheesegreater
07-05-2007, 10:10 AM
I always thought he was taking about those Palm Pilot's, the little PDA things.

They've been performing this song since '96. I don't believe those things we're around back then. Back in '96 most people didn't have cell-phones or internet at home. We've come a long way I guess, but I'm really almost positive that he's referring to a pilot episode.

MORNING_GLORY
07-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Actually, they did have palm pilots back then, and lots of people had cell phones, and even more were on the internet, at least in America. I always assumed he was talking about palm pilots too.

uummm..nocoolnames
07-10-2007, 02:26 PM
in tv a "pilot" is the premiere episode of a tv show, whether the show goes on air or not is based on reviews and viewer response to the pilot. therefore, you could see how some one in hollywood would fret over a pilot instead of relaxing and lettin shit flow

sylph
07-10-2007, 02:51 PM
I always see it as pilot tv show not person who fly's a plane, or PDA

MORNING_GLORY
07-11-2007, 08:20 AM
The section of lyrics where he refers to a "pilot" goes like this:

Fret for your figure and
Fret for your latte and
Fret for your hairpiece and
Fret for your lawsuit and
Fret for your prozac and
Fret for your pilot and
Fret for your contract and
Fret for your car.

All the things on this list are very common things that common people have, whereas a tv show pilot is only fretted over by very few people. Therefore, a PDA or a airplane pilot are things that common people deal with on a regular basis. Personally, I think it means a PDA, because you can imagine all the people walking around LA yelling into their phones for many different reasons. Maybe their hairpiece fell in their latte while driving their car on prozac, which cost him the big contract, and now they have a lawsuit to worry about. Makes sense to me.

Fuck worrying about your figure, Americans are huge and proud of it. (jerkasses)

Ghostwriter
07-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Does it matter which pilot it is?

Cheesegreater
07-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Does it matter which pilot it is?

That's kinda why I started the thread. Anyway, Morning Glory, you said that it's a list that common people have. Well, what about contracts? Even more, what about prozac?

Cheesegreater
07-11-2007, 11:45 AM
So far we've been through Pontius Pilate, the palm pilot, plane pilot, and the TV pilot. I'm sticking with the TV pilot.

MORNING_GLORY
07-12-2007, 01:24 PM
That's kinda why I started the thread. Anyway, Morning Glory, you said that it's a list that common people have. Well, what about contracts? Even more, what about prozac?

Well, prozac is just an anti-depressant, and I think it was an example of the different perscriptions that people think they "need" and therefore "fret" over. (And lots of people are on them)

A contract is defined as many different things, not neccessarily a big business-tycoon contract that we typcially think of. A contract could be defined as any agreement between people for a specific service, it could be defined as a marriage, entering a friendship, a bid at an auction, and so on. Pretty much anything you do at a job could be considered a form of contract.

I'm not saying that everything on this list is something each and every one of us deals with, but a good majority of people deal with this things regularly.

ejf89
09-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Palm Pilot (personal organizer) they were popular for young business men back in 96-97. Like the iPhone or Blackberry today.

So it's the Palm Pilot. If you understand the song you would of made that connection.

ejf89
09-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Up and coming business men have contracts. People that are willing to lick a little boot to climb corporate latter. And it's the Palm Pilot. Today it would be

Fret for your iPhone

Rolo
09-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Right said fret