PDA

View Full Version : Sounds Clips

a_divine_martyr
07-28-2003, 12:12 AM
Anyone got any clips of themselves playing anything?

Here's like, the first 30 seconds to Cold and Ugly, brought to you by me, and the number 4.

http://www.think-evolution.com/uploads/cold-and-ugly.mp3

And the rest of that I hadn't memorized when I recorded it. So yeah.

holy reality
07-28-2003, 08:24 PM
Were you playing the bass part or something? The beginning sounded weird..... heres the first 5 or so seconds of cold and ugly, brought to you by me

www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/hankhill/me-coldandugly.mp3

damn I've come to realize that clip sucks, I can make it sound way better....
me doing an intro to schism i made up

www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/hankhill/schismfinal.mp3

my king of the hill "masterpiece" (i mixed it and everything)

www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/hankhill/kothmedley2.mp3

me screwing around getting my dogs to sing:

www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/hankhill/dog2.mp3 (shorter)

www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/hankhill/dogs2.mp3 (they day I got my first wah pedal, kind of sucky but kind of funny)

not sure if I want to post the song I'm working on in fear of being ripped off....

a_divine_martyr
07-28-2003, 11:06 PM
Listen to the beginning of Cold and Ugly. That's what I played, kinda.

I realised I left out about 5-10 secondw but fuck it I don't are.

psilomind
07-29-2003, 06:11 AM
Y'all sound like youre pretty new at guitar. Anyway, heres the bassline, with an OBVIOUS fuck-up towards the end. Also, the bad recording makes the solo part a bit incoherent, but I'm done bitching now, so here it is:

http://www.angelfire.com/bug/poon/cold_and_ugly.mp3

a_divine_martyr
07-29-2003, 09:23 PM
Dude, that fucking rocked. Holy shit.

You can't help but bob your head and tap your foot along to it.

Anywho, I'm not new at the guitar, but the recording is shitty. It was at like 4 am when I did it and I didn't care too much when I did it.

holy reality
07-30-2003, 09:16 AM
fucking hell thanks a lot tooltabs.net for leaving out another damn note like you seem to do so much....

yeah i just realized all this time i've been playing this song i've been leaving out a note it's like 6p05p0 instead of 6p0 5.....

anyway i'm not nearly as bad as that old clip would have me sound, that was me 5 minutes after first learning that riff.

i have now made an actual website soley for the purpose of my putting songs up on it.

http://www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/holyreality

it gives links to all the songs i have up, as well as my attempt at doing a bit of lateralus, i know all up the 2nd solo but didn't really feel like doing it.... there are 2 mistakes in it, at least that's all i noted.... actually looking back it kind of sucks i didn't really keep a good tempo going and i could have made the distortion louder and the mutes more dynamic and noticeable, and i don't know why the hell i was doing the weird loud then soft stuff in the intro.

Digital Dreamer
07-30-2003, 04:46 PM
Y'all sound like youre pretty new at guitar. Anyway, heres the bassline, with an OBVIOUS fuck-up towards the end. Also, the bad recording makes the solo part a bit incoherent, but I'm done bitching now, so here it is:

http://www.angelfire.com/bug/poon/cold_and_ugly.mp3

You my friend are an awesome bassist... you can join my band any time you want... ahha

psilomind
07-31-2003, 03:46 PM
You my friend are an awesome bassist... you can join my band any time you want... ahha

Bleh... I honestly thought that recording sounded terrible, but I'm not gonna say "oh I can do sooo much better, I just fucked up", because if I really was that good, I'd play it hella good EVERY time... But hey, me likes me my compliments.

Now you join MY band foo!!! hehe... j/k... lol... rofl... kamar (kill a midget and run)...

Elgyn
07-31-2003, 04:32 PM
Sorry psilomind, but I couldn't really make out anything on that recording... perhaps I need a better soundcard or something. I had to crank it and even then it was a challenge to hear what you were playing.

I've got an acoustic recording of 46+2 which I'll post up when I can trim all the crap off the end.

Elgyn
07-31-2003, 07:55 PM
...46 & 2... (http://home.iprimus.com.au/sylent/46+2_02.mp3)

I just trimmed this down to get rid of the shyte..
I mostly recorded this just to replicate the bass and guitar sections. I've since realised I played one or two bits the wrong way, but its hard to be consistant for a whole minute without a few minor cock-ups.

Played on a Classical guitar with a reverb and chorus filter on both tracks, using Cool Edit Pro.

a_divine_martyr
08-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Damn, nice work, Elgyn.

I thought ti would have sounded different than it did, being a classic guitar and all, but still, nice stuff.

reign3
08-03-2003, 12:11 AM
Holy man. I love your shit. You and me should make a long distance band. I play bass and am decent. I also sing too and I'm improving a lot. I just need to find a damn way to record myself and get it on the computer.

But really man. I love your style. When I try to make shit up on the guitar, I kinda strive toward that trippy/melodic/thick style that you kinda got. Me likey.

holy reality
08-03-2003, 09:08 AM
Holy man. I love your shit. You and me should make a long distance band. I play bass and am decent. I also sing too and I'm improving a lot. I just need to find a damn way to record myself and get it on the computer.

But really man. I love your style. When I try to make shit up on the guitar, I kinda strive toward that trippy/melodic/thick style that you kinda got. Me likey.
Cool... thanks man. I could have done the Lateralus clip quite better though, but you probably weren't referring to that.

Just get a semi decent microphone and cool edit pro 2.0 and you can make your recordings sound as decent as I sound. (well at least i think mine sound decent)

Paladin
08-03-2003, 11:33 AM
even better, get one of those 1/8th inch male to male phono plugs..basicaly looks like a patch cord but with smaller pluggy things on each end, than on one end get a 1/4 inch adapter and stick than end in your guitar...the other end in your computers mic input
and that should do for reall good sound, without the background hiss of mics.

psilomind
08-03-2003, 11:52 AM
even better, get one of those 1/8th inch male to male phono plugs..basicaly looks like a patch cord but with smaller pluggy things on each end, than on one end get a 1/4 inch adapter and stick than end in your guitar...the other end in your computers mic input
and that should do for reall good sound, without the background hiss of mics.

You can also find a 1/4" to 1/8" cord in most music stores. Thats what I usually use.

holy reality
08-03-2003, 11:57 AM
You can also find a 1/4" to 1/8" cord in most music stores. Thats what I usually use.

yeah but you'll fry your sound card if you don't have an emulated line out....

and even then, in order to use the emulated.... i *think* i have to turn all the master volumes and shit down becuase that's what you have to do for headphones and then it doesn't sound good and overdriven like it does with full volume.

besides cool edits noise reduction feature does a great job at removing a little hiss.

Elgyn
08-03-2003, 03:12 PM
Yep, I love Cool Edit's Noise reduction feature, it works a treat with my shithouse mic.
I'm wondering just how much difference a soundcard makes in terms of recording and sound editing quality, does anyone have any serious clues about it?
I've just got an onboard soundcard, but I can do some decent things with it, and having Cool Edit definately helps. Its a huge step up from the 60 second recordings I was doing in Windows Wav recorder!

Is it worth upgrading my soundcard and mic...?

48&2
08-06-2003, 01:01 AM
Elgyn: It is definitely not worth upgrading your mic and sound card, to get a decent mic and souncard would cost you a bit and with the same price you could get a minidisc recorder which are a lot better quality (that is what people use to bootleg concerts), ask brightwell about that if your interested...

anyhow i recorded me playing schism on bass, the riffs are all over the place and its not all that technical but give it a listen and tell me what you think http://www.aevolution.org/tracks/schismriffs.mp3

Elgyn
08-06-2003, 02:21 PM
Not a bad effort on schism there. I learned a thing or two.
Thanks for the tip about sound too. I'm really not sure where I stand, since people have told me to get a new mic. I'm pretty happy with how I can record at the moment, although sometimes if the sound is too high or low pitched it won't work at all. I'll sit tight on my low-budget setup for the moment.

I'm not sure if I've got you mistaken or not, but did you list a JBT song in your favourites in a thread a while back? If so have you seen the Trio as they tour Aus?

48&2
08-06-2003, 03:19 PM
ah yes you are right, but unfortunately i missed out on tickets for this friday night (sold out fast) then they announced another date for last tuesday and i couldnt go to that because of exams for the godam hsc, have you seen jbt?, or are you going to? jbt is amazing, im so dissapointed in not going, anyhow im sure he will tour oz plenty more in the future so its not the end of the world.

so instead of seeing jbt this friday im going up to sydney to catch afi, not my favorite band but it should be entertaining...

if your willing to spend a bit of money you can go all the way and get a mini recording studio http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/models/mrs1044/pdmodel.html
that is top of the range, though if you look around you will find similar things that do the job well for a fraction of the cost...

Elgyn
08-06-2003, 03:36 PM
I sure did catch JBT (in melb)!
They were totally awesome. They've got a new bass player and drummer, but they were both really smooth. They had a huge amount of energy onstage, and they played a two song encore, the last of which was Take... it went for about fifteen minutes, with a really mellow five minute intro. Just about had me in raptures waiting for the thumping drums to kick in. Its not a concert I'll forget.
If do get the opportunity to see them in the future, I'd highly recommend it. Its a bummer you couldn't get to see them, but like you said, its unlikely to be the last time they tour. AFI sounds like they're pretty damn kick arse live, and I like a fair bit of their stuff. Enjoy.

That link you posted would make a great home recording studio, but as always its not a matter of whether or not I want it, its a matter of $$. I'm going to have to survive as a hack recorder using Cool Edit and other software programs on my puty for the moment. However, I know what I eventually would like to get, so as long as I keep that in mind...

48&2
08-06-2003, 05:41 PM
dam im jealous...ive just been listening to the 'living' live cds and its so bad knowing that im not going, even though im a huge fan, whilst there are about 100 other people i know going to that gig, who are just tagging along because everyone else is going. take is awesome, i also like songs such as 'dont understand (live)' 'media' 'life aint what it seems' 'believe' etc, ok im going to stop or i will get depressed...

im in the same situation as you with the recording deal, no $$ and poor computer recording tools....i use soundforge to edit tracks, is cooledit good?

Elgyn
08-07-2003, 12:13 AM
I like Cool Edit a lot.
I suppose the thing I like most about it is that it isn't all jazzed up. I haven't used Fruity Loops much, but the interface puts me off, because its so different to anything I've known. If you've seen it, you'll know what I mean. I suppose its just a matter of getting used to it though.

Cool Edit took a while to get the hang of, but its a lot like most other Windows-based programs. Its got a lot of neat filters which allow for more diverse recordings, and once figured out, the looping of drum samples isn't too difficult. Its got an inbuilt metronome, so I can have that going in my phones and keep in time with my playing. This helps a lot if I want to Loop in drums, which lately, I have been.

I've never used sound forge before, so I don't what its capable of, but I'd say the best thing about Cool Edit is that it allows me to easily record things. If you want to make electronic music, its not really the go though, since it has very few in-built samples (unlike Fruity Studio).

Sorry if the response is a little long, but hey - you asked!

elevate
08-07-2003, 08:55 AM
I haven't used Fruity Loops much, but the interface puts me off, because its so different to anything I've known.
Fruity is more of a sequencer type of app, though, it has over time accumulated more and more features, and I believe it is now almost like a full blown studio environment. I mainly use it for creating beats and loops. You can load up any audio file and use it as a sample. You can load up any Direct-X or VST effect/plugin. You can use any DXi or VSTi, which is pretty damn cool as well. It's a fabulous tool for creating/tweaking loops and for rough drafting songs or ideas. I've always said that Fruity Loops, despite having a stupid name, is the best value in audio software.

psilomind
08-11-2003, 10:43 AM
Well, I figured this is an appropriate place to post my attempt at the intro to Weak and Powerless:

http://www.morphedmedia.com/tdn/archive/013207PM.mp3

close, no?

Elgyn
08-11-2003, 04:44 PM
Whether thats right or not, its not bad!
I just listened to the song then and I still only have the botched version off the radio so its hard to tell, but I think you've near enough nailed it.
I really like bass in this song, its got some good melodic combinations.
It reminds me slightly of some of RHCP's music. Especially the bass section just after the first chorus has run through. Just a random thought I had then.

Edit: btw, good shit if you worked that out yourself.

48&2
08-12-2003, 12:51 AM
Well, I figured this is an appropriate place to post my attempt at the intro to Weak and Powerless:

http://www.morphedmedia.com/tdn/archive/013207PM.mp3

close, no?

wow thats pretty dam good, i dont suppose you could post the tab so i could have a bit of a play around with it?

psilomind
08-12-2003, 09:17 AM
wow thats pretty dam good, i dont suppose you could post the tab so i could have a bit of a play around with it?
It just so happens that I was in a good enough mood to write a tab for you all. You should also note that I was too lazy to play all the chords shown in the tab when recording the clip... but you get the idea...

http://www.angelfire.com/bug/poon/wap.txt

holy reality
08-12-2003, 12:51 PM
okay everyone i had a breakthrough today... i discovered the perfect delay settings for the schism solo

here it is

www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/holyreality/schismsolo.mp3

by the time i hauled my amp downstairs and set up to record i got a bit out of my groove, but i had it going flawless.... there are a few mistakes in the recording though...

and it sounds a bit "screechy" but to my ear when actually playing it sounds fine... the mic might be a little sensative to screeches i guess

please comment... i feel very accomplished having gotten that sound down almost exact... the only part that doesn't feel quite right is the 10 h 12 part at the end when it starts to go back up..... but...

well.. comment please

edit: i just noticed i was playing it WAY too fast... just like I did with lateralus... oh well..

Marius
08-12-2003, 02:07 PM
Yeah, you should get a speeding ticket for that :P

Listening to all these clips made me wanna record a version of me playing "Schism" on my guitar. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow, and post it here.

holy reality
08-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Yeah, you should get a speeding ticket for that :P

Listening to all these clips made me wanna record a version of me playing "Schism" on my guitar. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow, and post it here.

did it sound good though, what with the delay and all? i think it's damn near as accurate as I can get it with my equipment... and the scratching isn't very obvious to the human ear.

Marius
08-12-2003, 05:39 PM
did it sound good though, what with the delay and all? i think it's damn near as accurate as I can get it with my equipment... and the scratching isn't very obvious to the human ear.

The delay on that clip is good if you play it as fast as you do, I guess. What kind of delay-pedal do you have? You might wanna turn down the volume (level) on the delay, 'cause to me, the delay sounds to "obvious". The delay on Schism is more subtle.

holy reality
08-12-2003, 05:48 PM
The delay on that clip is good if you play it as fast as you do, I guess. What kind of delay-pedal do you have? You might wanna turn down the volume (level) on the delay, 'cause to me, the delay sounds to "obvious". The delay on Schism is more subtle.

well i was going more for the live sound

because i had just listened to the tulsa show last night... and had it in my head

and it sounds much like that... even when he slides back up and the slide delays.... you know like how i did it

in comparison to the studio version it sticks out too much though

but to answer your question i'm using the build in delay with my MG100dfx... it's a bitch to dial it in just right.

Marius
08-13-2003, 07:33 AM
http://home.no.net/mariur/lyd/marius_schism.mp3 (6.15 mb)

The sound is pretty bad, 'cause I don't have a real mic, just some build-in-thing on my computer. (Don't have a good amp, either.)

And the song; I fucked up a couple of places, but i'm happy with the bridge, and how the delay sounded.

Tell me what you think.

holy reality
08-13-2003, 09:14 AM
http://home.no.net/mariur/lyd/marius_schism.mp3 (6.15 mb)

The sound is pretty bad, 'cause I don't have a real mic, just some build-in-thing on my computer. (Don't have a good amp, either.)

And the song; I fucked up a couple of places, but i'm happy with the bridge, and how the delay sounded.

Tell me what you think.
it's mighty nice.... what kind of gear do you have?

A Message to Harry Manback
www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/holyreality

I also put a better version of the schism solo on there (just the beginning part of it though).

Marius
08-13-2003, 04:19 PM
it's mighty nice.... what kind of gear do you have?

A Message to Harry Manback
www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/holyreality

I also put a better version of the schism solo on there (just the beginning part of it though).

Thanks!

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, with Seymour Duncan pickups, and a small Marshall 30w combo-amp. The delay comes from a beautiful Boss DD-6 (God, I love that thing).

Message To Harry Manback sounds great. Got tabs for it? (I wanna play! :))

And, your Schism solo sounds better now.

holy reality
08-13-2003, 04:28 PM
Thanks!

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, with Seymour Duncan pickups, and a small Marshall 30w combo-amp. The delay comes from a beautiful Boss DD-6 (God, I love that thing).

Message To Harry Manback sounds great. Got tabs for it? (I wanna play! :))

And, your Schism solo sounds better now.
www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/holyreality/manback.html

schism solo sounds better... does it sound "right" though? looking back on the older one it does sound pretty crappy, i must have been really biased having just discovered the delay setting and being happy about that yesterday. if the screeches were quieter i'd like it better though.

Marius
08-13-2003, 04:37 PM
www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/holyreality/manback.html

schism solo sounds better... does it sound "right" though? looking back on the older one it does sound pretty crappy, i must have been really biased having just discovered the delay setting and being happy about that yesterday. if the screeches were quieter i'd like it better though.

It's still a bit too fast. Listen to mine for the right tempo, it's correct (I had the real thing in my left ear, when recording)
And it sounds like you have a bit too much reverb on your amp.

EDIT: Do you slide those 14-17-14-19-notes? I guess that's why you get that screeching sound. I don't slide when I play that part.

holy reality
08-13-2003, 04:48 PM
It's still a bit too fast. Listen to mine for the right tempo, it's correct (I had the real thing in my left ear, when recording)
And it sounds like you have a bit too much reverb on your amp.

EDIT: Do you slide those 14-17-14-19-notes? I guess that's why you get that screeching sound. I don't slide when I play that part.

i slide 14-12 then 12-14.... because it's easier than lifting off your finger while making sure you don't get the open string to ring while moving your finger down to 12, and back up to 14, etc....

i usually do an actual audible slide from 12 back up to 14 and let that be the first 14 note though... it sounds pretty cool and he does it like that live sometimes

i only have the reverb at 1/4 though.

oh and also my PICK is picking up (sometimes) while picking..... that contributes to the screeching... i don't know what to do about that... maybe I just need new strings? it's not that big of a pick... i forget what gauge but it's a lime green dunlop tortex .44 i'm guessing... not sure