PDA

View Full Version : The best tool release

stalkingbutler
07-27-2003, 02:06 PM
I think Salival, despite it being a stop-gap disc before the release of lateralus, is perhaps the finest thing that tool has produced, let me explain.........

It contains.....

The best, most awe inspiring, tool song ever in pushit(live version).This is the song to play to anyone who doubts tools power and mastery of their art, the sheer scale of it, the way it slowly builds up to its climax and when it does............... holy shit.Anyone who cant be impressed with this song, well I dont know what to say.

The best cover version ever in no quater.That tool would be able to take such a classic song in its own right and improve it so dramatically just beggars belief, Ive heard many cover versions in which good songs are butchered, so to hear one like this comes as a blessed relief.

The greatest novelty song ever in Maynards Dick

Perhaps the best vocal performance by anyone EVER by Maynard in You lied, the wonderful etheral, haunting quality in his voice really reinforces the point that he is one of the greatest singrs ever.

The tool song with the best drumming, Merkaba.That song is just a showcase of Dannys impecable skills, his drumming is the main focus for 9 minutes, the shit hes playing....oh well, on more than one occassion I nearly laughed and cried because it was just too damn good to be performed by a mere mortal.

Thats why I think that this is the greatest tool release, does anyone agree?

i live in the toolshed
07-30-2003, 10:16 AM
Nice review. My copy is in the mail, hope its as good as you made it sound.

You Lied
10-20-2003, 02:19 AM
I completely agree!

La_te_ra_lus
10-27-2003, 03:23 AM
Can someone correct me here- do all copies of Salival have the DVD and CD or is it just the CD on some? i ask this because you didnt mention the videos, so im wondering... then again i live in England, and as hardly anyones heard of Tool that might be why they still have Ltd. Edition Salivals in shops....

Mehhico
10-27-2003, 10:35 PM
The Salival Box set is a DVD with the clips and a CD. There is also the video set for the people (like me) who have yet to purchase a DVD player.

Merkaba kicks my arse every time I listen to it. My friend and I were coming home from a night out, full of piss, acid and pot and I just had to put Salival on. Because his stereo wasn't working, we went into my car and listened to the whole thing in stunned silence (this was the first time I REALLY listened to the CD.). And as stalkingbutler was saying, we could not stop laughing and crying. The only words we could manage were "this is bullshit, its too good" in between spots of laughter.

I don't know if I agree with this CD being the best release, but I have to say it is a complete Tool CD and the fact that most of it is live gives it more of a tweak, more energy, more wonderment. I mean, when I play Merkaba to people it blows their mind, until they hear the clapping at the end.............................then they go into cardiac arrest.

"Jebus Christ!!!! CLEAR!!.....................CLEAR!!!!! We're losing him, put it back onto pushit god dammit!!! CLEAR!!!!!!!!"

-sorry, I got carried away. I'll leave-

Regards,
Andy

jpmanson
10-27-2003, 10:51 PM
i would listen to salival a lot more if LAMC wasnt on there.. i think they put that track on the album just so that the fans wouldnt listen to the album as much as the other albums. that way, salival keeps its "new" feel..

i listen to the album maybe once a month, if that, and every time i hear it, its like listening to it for the first time..

dodes
10-29-2003, 08:05 PM
hey there,
I do agree Merkaba has incredible drumming, however even me - one of the world's biggest and staunch(est?) Danny Carey fans can't claim that this is his finest work.

It's basically a song of solo (it's a generalisation i know but for the purposes of this post, i'm leaving it at that heh). I personally prefer to listen to Lateralus, 3rd Eye, Ticks n Leeches and Pushit for pure drumming prowess. These songs show the impeccable technique Danny has and his ability to be unique with each song he plays, as well as show his undeniable skill. That's what got me listening to Tool in the first place - I remember hearing Aenema (the song) and thinking - wow, i've definately NEVER heard a song like that before. I bought the album thinking that this album is only going to get heavier and thrashier. To my surprise it was pure craft, incredible technique and FINALLY, some originality in modern music.

Merkaba is certainly unique and sounds fantastic. However, if you want pure drumming solo to impress you, go listen to Slipknot hehe... I don't doubt that Danny can drum as well if not better than Joey Jordison. heh Joey just loves to (and gets to) show off - and if i had his skill, i think i would too!!

I'd love to see those 2 trading 4's... that'd be a sight!!

Swim On
02-07-2004, 04:39 PM
If Slipknot were an instrumental band, they'd be much better off.

Sic Aenima
03-02-2004, 05:16 AM
I agree that Salival is probably the best

eulogy508
03-02-2004, 03:19 PM
I have listened to Salival many times in the past few months. It is a good album, but not my favorite. That titles goes to Lateralus.

High points:
pushit live
no quarter
maynards dick
you lied live
third eye live
part of me live
merakba (kind of)

low points:
lamc
message to harry manback 2

I would enjoy it more if Lamc wasn't on it and a full-length song replaced message to harry manback 2....

Metamorphosis
03-12-2004, 05:09 AM
stalkingbutler, you didnt, at any time, mention the epic song Third Eye, yeah, i know Pushit and the other songs are great... pushit = fucking great, but third eye is fucking amazing too, which you must give salival credit for...

i think Third Eye (live or from Ænima) has the best guitar playing/solos i have ever heard adam play, am i right?... [parabola and lateralus are also rivetting]

CyberSlave
03-20-2004, 08:50 PM
Wow, the way you put it I might have to agree. But I really don't because it doesn't contain any real original material.

Omniscient
05-16-2004, 09:46 PM
I would have to agree too. There is nothing better in this world than Tool live. Plus that cover of "No Quarter" kicks ass in my opinion.

Another
05-18-2004, 08:51 PM
The cd definatally means something too me. But I dont usually compare it with the other cd's... Its one of the fineset examples of their art though. The live music lets you hear the raw passion and emotion... Pushit live just tops it all of. And along with my other favourites 3rd eye, no quarter, and you lied makes this cd one of their best releases... Maynard's dicks is kinda catchy to.

EonBlue-Simon
06-17-2004, 10:02 AM
I wanted to buy salival today, but the local cd shop said that it was taken out of production or something, does someone know anything about that?? i need to have it

g-bay-be
06-18-2004, 07:43 PM
I need to get the cd

AestheticAnomaly
07-06-2004, 06:19 AM
Salival<~~Only one I have not been able to find because it's always sold out at like 4 different stores.

IC
07-12-2004, 04:25 PM
I think Salival, despite it being a stop-gap disc before the release of lateralus, is perhaps the finest thing that tool has produced, let me explain.........

It contains.....

The best, most awe inspiring, tool song ever in pushit(live version).This is the song to play to anyone who doubts tools power and mastery of their art, the sheer scale of it, the way it slowly builds up to its climax and when it does............... holy shit.Anyone who cant be impressed with this song, well I dont know what to say.

The best cover version ever in no quater.That tool would be able to take such a classic song in its own right and improve it so dramatically just beggars belief, Ive heard many cover versions in which good songs are butchered, so to hear one like this comes as a blessed relief.

The greatest novelty song ever in Maynards Dick

Perhaps the best vocal performance by anyone EVER by Maynard in You lied, the wonderful etheral, haunting quality in his voice really reinforces the point that he is one of the greatest singrs ever.

The tool song with the best drumming, Merkaba.That song is just a showcase of Dannys impecable skills, his drumming is the main focus for 9 minutes, the shit hes playing....oh well, on more than one occassion I nearly laughed and cried because it was just too damn good to be performed by a mere mortal.

Thats why I think that this is the greatest tool release, does anyone agree?

I have to agree with the No Quarter thing. That song is just too beautiful...

ufopancakes
04-25-2005, 06:58 PM
Whenever someone askes me to choose favorites with tool, I never can. I love every album equally... however, I tend to enjoy Justin Chancellors bass playing moreso than Paul Demour... I think Paul does have a nice bass tone though, just not as intriquate of a player as Justin.

ufopancakes
04-25-2005, 07:00 PM
I think Tool should do more covers. Each one they touch turnes into an absolute masterpiece... that SOMEWHAT resembles the original, but what they have forced a magnificent metemorphasis upon.

ufopancakes
04-25-2005, 07:22 PM
Whenever someone askes me to choose favorites with tool, I never can. I love every album equally... however, I tend to enjoy Justin Chancellors bass playing moreso than Paul Demour... I think Paul does have a nice bass tone though, just not as intriquate of a player as Justin.

guitarpete987
04-30-2006, 07:39 PM
hey there,
I do agree Merkaba has incredible drumming, however even me - one of the world's biggest and staunch(est?) Danny Carey fans can't claim that this is his finest work.

It's basically a song of solo (it's a generalisation i know but for the purposes of this post, i'm leaving it at that heh). I personally prefer to listen to Lateralus, 3rd Eye, Ticks n Leeches and Pushit for pure drumming prowess. These songs show the impeccable technique Danny has and his ability to be unique with each song he plays, as well as show his undeniable skill. That's what got me listening to Tool in the first place - I remember hearing Aenema (the song) and thinking - wow, i've definately NEVER heard a song like that before. I bought the album thinking that this album is only going to get heavier and thrashier. To my surprise it was pure craft, incredible technique and FINALLY, some originality in modern music.

Merkaba is certainly unique and sounds fantastic. However, if you want pure drumming solo to impress you, go listen to Slipknot hehe... I don't doubt that Danny can drum as well if not better than Joey Jordison. heh Joey just loves to (and gets to) show off - and if i had his skill, i think i would too!!

I'd love to see those 2 trading 4's... that'd be a sight!!

I'm not slamming your post or anything; agreeing with you, actually. But just to clarify, Joey is flashy and sure can play a lot of notes, but he doesn't have a snippet of the rock solid timekeeping that Danny has. And yes, that makes Danny the better drummer, because he can play flashy and tons of notes PERFECTLY STABLE.

P.S. I've seen both bands live and Slipknot gave me a headache while Tool put me in a perfect state of mind :)

toocooltool
05-01-2006, 03:34 AM
Its pretty good.. but the best.... maybe not.

Agenda
05-01-2006, 04:30 PM
It's amazing. I love it, No quarter is the best cover ever done by anyone of anything. It wins hands down. I bought it the day it came out and it never gets old.

preveeshat
05-02-2006, 10:57 AM
i think its the best tool album to play while you've got a 9 X 9 foot piece of paper taped to your walls and you need to create something magnificant...

ozthegweatandtewwible
05-16-2006, 08:46 PM
stalkingbutler, you didnt, at any time, mention the epic song Third Eye, yeah, i know Pushit and the other songs are great... pushit = fucking great, but third eye is fucking amazing too, which you must give salival credit for...

i think Third Eye (live or from Ænima) has the best guitar playing/solos i have ever heard adam play, am i right?... [parabola and lateralus are also rivetting]

agreed, sir. This song (the live version in particular) is one of the greatest things Tool has ever accomplished. Mesmerizing.

Besides the fact that 10,000 Days is my current favorite release, I'd rank Salival as a close tie for second with Aenima.