PDA

View Full Version : Singing

reign3
07-26-2003, 11:56 AM
Is anybody in here a decent singer? My friend and I are about to start a band, and I'm probably going to sing. I practice a lot by singing to Tool songs and some others. Sometimes it sounds pretty decent, sometimes it sounds terrible.

I would really appreciate some advice, thanks.

psilomind
07-26-2003, 12:24 PM
I'm sure you've heard this plenty of times, but I'll mention it anyway. Sing from the chest, not the throat. It tends to give more power to your voice, as well as get rid of that whiney aesthetic common to a lot of bad music. Hope that helps a little bit.

Irony
07-27-2003, 02:53 PM
ummmm i sing and im using my friends account to reply. Sing from your diaphragm. NOT through your nose. try not to move your head so that it strains your throat because then it makes the sound go course unless thats what you want. Try to project almost think of tensing your stomach muscles when you sing. Once you know how to sing from your diaphragm its easy.
rachel (using ironys account)
good luck

holy reality
07-27-2003, 02:58 PM
I can do death metal sounding shit but it destroys my throat, despite sounding pretty good... that's it.

And really sucky whiney grungy type singing I can do.

Martin
07-27-2003, 03:39 PM
You should use your own voice, and not try to copy the voice of whatever song you are covering. I always sing along when I listen to music, and I try to use my own voice as far as possible. I really haven't heard myself on the stereo or something. When I hear myself on video-recording from our camera, I always think I sound really weird. It's amazing how different I think I sound when I speak, and when I listen to my recorded voice.

This is hardly advice...

Erebus
07-28-2003, 02:41 AM
Breath Control (http://www.vocalist.org.uk/breath_control.html)
Breathing Techinques (http://www.vocalist.org.uk/breathing_techniques.html)

cornerstones in learning how to sing well

stalkingbutler
07-30-2003, 02:06 PM
I can sing, but I cant scream with any intensity, which I wuold love to be able to do, everytime I try to scream at a fairly high volume my voice comes out as a bairly audible

"ggggggggggggggaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccckkkkkkkkkk!"

Does anyone know how to improve this.

holy reality
07-30-2003, 02:11 PM
I can sing, but I cant scream with any intensity, which I wuold love to be able to do, everytime I try to scream at a fairly high volume my voice comes out as a bairly audible

Umm.... ride roller coasters?
Shove a rabid weasel down your pants?
Stare at Fink's avatar?

Just scream.... scream naturally... if you can do that.... then just work from there... that's what I'd do.

stalkingbutler
08-01-2003, 07:12 AM
Umm.... ride roller coasters?
Shove a rabid weasel down your pants?
Stare at Fink's avatar?

Just scream.... scream naturally... if you can do that.... then just work from there... that's what I'd do.

Yes and when I do it comes out as
"gggggggggggggggggggggggaaaaaaaaaaccckkkkkk",
there has to be some vocal technique that could help.

holy reality
08-01-2003, 12:19 PM
Yes and when I do it comes out as
"gggggggggggggggggggggggaaaaaaaaaaccckkkkkk",
there has to be some vocal technique that could help.
maybe you should gargle milk before you do so so you don't strain your vocal chords as much

stalkingbutler
08-19-2003, 05:56 AM
bump, just a bump

•Hąrbinger•
08-19-2003, 11:27 AM

I suggest you buy Mark Baxter's (aka the vocal guru) book--The Rock-N-Roll Singer's Surival Manual. (http://www.voicelesson.com/html/store/index.htm)

Also, check out his free lesons. (http://www.voicelesson.com/html/lessons/free_lessons.htm)