PDA

View Full Version : would YOU die for ME?

iAMtheMA!
05-25-2007, 10:03 PM
why do i always come back to this one?

some of you may not enjoy my attempt to explain "eulogy" via citing various lyrics from the entire tool discography, but whatever... i'll try to make sure that it's as obviously relevant as possible.

alright, well, "he" ...we might as well be talking about science here (*wait, just give it a chance). straight lines, measurements, provable, gotta-see-it-to-believe-it ...it's my belief that perhaps tool's trying to tell us that our current level of consciousness (again, 44&2, disharmonic, non-unity, polarity, etc) and the reality we've formed has been created through mankind's dominant use of left-hemisphere functions. furthermore, we know religion (more specifically the western domination of - Father, He, etc) has been an opiate of the masses. throughout this "apathetic existence", religion has had us up on the cross (so to speak) with our "head down" and "eyes closed" (remember: "repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift and eye to heaven") ...yet our throats are wide open ["he had a lot of nothing to say"]. never fear, though ("there's no love in fear") ...after all, "Mom's coming 'round to put it back the way it outta be". and because of "his fleeting time here", something's gonna happen soon [and "we'll miss him"]. 2012 sounds about right. but i don't know... heh, won't know.

but who is "you"? well, let's back up for a second.

are we not yet aware that tool is trying to suggest that we are all one? that we should strive to "breathe in union"? unity consciousness? 46&2? if there's still a doubt, please check over some of the album liners, especially what has been created by alex grey. tool needs us there, they need us to feel as one ("i need you to feel this, i need this to make me whole"). therefore, every time tool ...or a perfect circle ...or puscifer ...or whatever (caduceus even?)! every time the first-person narrative ("i/me/my") is mentioned, tool is speaking from unity consciousness. so, yeah, i tend to believe that we're all over-thinking a bit; we could have been missing out on something rather simple this entire time (hey, i may be wrong - but try it out). so, again, who is "you"? well, conversely, "you" would refer to everyone on THIS level of consciousness ...us ...44&2. if you look over to your friends or family as individuals seperate from your being, then tool is talking to "you". it is my belief that tool and their "tedious path" is a tool/instrument for us to "fathom the power" of unity consciousness, 46&2 - (in fact, this idea now fuels my every step, and everything i am). perhaps others may be able to relate on some level to this idea?

the rest of the song, within this perspective, is rather easy to figure out i think. a few (random) notes, though...

not that it needed to be said, but the "heart" refers to the metaphysical. curves, feelings difficult-to-measure/prove, intuition, and the abstract (believe-it-to-see)... basically, the right-hemisphere of our brains. but a balance needs to exist. so, what's the balance between science and metaphysics? is it alchemy? (see "schism" - and keep in mind that danny carey, an alchemist, claims "schism" as his favorite track). all-knowing, all-powerful, and one with all ("omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent") ...without judgement. mer de noms ...this ONE sea (of names), the collective, our entire species ...it's not going to "care at all" or become aware of the words you speak if there is no balance, if we remain disharmonic, damaged, broken, lost, numb, severed, sleeping...

i think the biggest problem we've created for ourselves within this cold world of ours concerns death. tool (bill hicks) tells us that "there's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, (and we're the imaginations of ourselves)". yet, the common idea suggests that death ends it all. nothing is on the other side (except maybe a heaven or hell). some will even live their lives as best (or as worst) they can and are then judged accordingly ...but only after death. basically, "to ascend you must die". but, considering my pronoun theory, it's mention within this track hardly refers to the absence of life. it has much more to do with the concept/perception of "you" (left vs right) ..."you" will need to die in order to become aware of "me" (the balance, unity). "would YOU die for ME? ...don't YOU fuckin' lie." but then what's the "lie"? this reality. the beginning of salival says it all (and quite nicely). refer to "you lied", "vicarious", "the pot", "right in two", etc ...it goes on and on... and i'm fairly certain most water references (especially within undertow) represents the lie as well. "i hope it sucks you down", "you're saturating me", "no one even invited you in", etc. 1st-person vs 2nd. simple.

and now doesn't this make a lot more sense?...
"I never lived a lie, never took a life, but surely saved one.
Hallelujah, it's time for you to bring me home."

anyone wanna play?

TOOL / Aenima / 02 / Eulogy

He had alot to say.
He had alot of nothing to say.
We'll miss him.

So long.
We wish you well.
You told us how you weren't afraid to die.
Well then, so long.
Don't cry.
Or feel too down.
Not all martyrs see divinity.
But at least you tried.

Standing above the crowd,
He had a voice that was strong and loud.
We'll miss him.
Ranting and pointing his finger
At everything but his heart.
We'll miss him.

No way to recall
What it was that you had said to me,
Like I care at all.

So loud.
You sure could yell.
You took a stand on every little thing
And so loud.

He had a voice so strong and loud and I
Swallowed his facade cuz I'm so
Eager to identify with
Someone above the ground,
Someone who seemed to feel the same,
Someone prepared to lead the way, with
Someone who would die for me.

Will you? Will you now?
Would you die for me?
Don't you fuckin lie.

Don't you step out of line.
Don't you fuckin lie.

You've claimed all this time that you would die for me.
Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy?

You had alot to say.
You had alot of nothing to say.

Come down.
Get off your fuckin cross.
We need the fuckin space to nail the next fool martyr.

To ascend you must die.
You must be crucified
For your sins and your lies. [sic]
Goodbye...

DON IOTAE
05-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Would you die for me?

no.

Eulogy33
05-31-2007, 10:14 AM
excellent interpretation. Either way..still a kickass song, and a great screen name. =)

iAMtheMA!
06-18-2007, 07:44 AM
I will find a center in YOU.
I will chew it up and leave,
I will work to elevate YOU
just enough to bring YOU down.

trust ME

iAMtheMA!
06-28-2007, 06:55 AM
everyone will have HIS day to die

The Holy Gift
07-02-2007, 10:53 AM
i dont wanna be the one to bring u down and all....but please come down off ur cross ;). ur way over interpretting this song. i think u need to read the lyrics in a literal fashion. maynard is not hiding the meaning, hes not trying to bury it, or decieve you-its about jesus. you guys remember ther april fools joke? then maynard saying ha ha jesus is a punk. well in this song, jesus is a punk. he tells people what they want to hear, so theyll follow him (hitler anyone?), but its all empty lies. then when it comes time for him to die, die for your sins, he hears his own eulogy and might want to change his mind (You've claimed all this time that you would die for me. Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy?). essentially this is maynards view of christianity. we all know how he despises organized religion, he feels jesus is a fraud, and thats what the song is about.

iAMtheMA!
07-04-2007, 12:19 PM
^ the holy glib: "please step back from your interpretation 'cause this is what i think"

that's alright; respectfully, i think that you're way under interpretting this song - perhaps you're too caught up on the literal? i mean, there are christian metaphors and allusions everywhere, but this track isn't about jesus. it's not about how he lived, or how he kept giving, or how he died.

want another example? consider the lyrics...
"he had a lot to say, he had a lot of nothing to say"

now apply:

(female)
10 to 2 AM, X, Yogi DMT, and a box of Krispy Kremes,
in my "need to know" pose, just outside of Area 51
Contemplating the whole "chosen people" thingy
when a flaming stealth banana split the sky
like one would hope but never really expect
to see in a place like this.
Cutting right angle donuts on a dime
and stopping right at my Birkenstocks,
and me yelping...

(male)
"Holy fucking shit!"

(female)
Then the X-Files being,
Looking like some kind of blue-green Jackie Chan
with Isabella Rossellini lips, and breath that reeked of
vanilla Chig Champa
Did a slow-mo Matrix descent
Outta the butt end of the banana vessel
And hovered above my bug-eyes, my gaping jaw,
and my sweaty L. Ron Hubbard upper lip,
and all I could think was:

(male)
"I hope Uncle Martin here doesn't notice
that I pissed my fuckin' pants."

(female)
So light in his way,
Like an apparition, [that]
He had me crying out,

(male)
"Fuck me
It's gotta be
the Deadhead Chemistry
The blotter got [right] on top of me
Got me seein' E-motherfuckin'-T!"

the midas touch
07-04-2007, 12:37 PM
I was with you 'til the Rosetta Stoned references.

I'm not quite following the whole male/female thing.

The Holy Gift
07-05-2007, 10:15 AM
ya, the "he had a lot to say, he has alot of nothing to say" just means that while he was talking, it was all just blowing smoke, he really wasnt the son of god, blah blah blah.
now if the song were called "super pink butterfly" and i said the song was more along the lines of the literal lyrics, i could see u telling me i was wrong. but its called eulogy, and the song is about how jesus is a punk.

and besides, u cant tell me there is a deeping meaning to rosetta stoned. its kinda like bill hicks' story about being abdcuted by aliens while he was tripping. the song even uses some quotes from him. and dood, i get the deeper meanings, when they are there, check the lateralus threads. but only when they are there, because when i see the letter B, its the letter B, not 2 upper case D's stacked on top of each other because the D's symbolize the Devil, and what he meant is that some Devils are on top of other Devils because they are more important and you should always pick the more important devil because they will lead u down the path to enlightenment, and we all know that enlightenment is the true path. :p

iAMtheMA!
07-05-2007, 04:03 PM
it's not really male and female. it's more of that duality (triad), 2 causes and the effect, the father/mother/child or left/right/center thing... applied to our perceptions. for instance, "order, rules, regulations" ...that would be the left-hemishpere (straight lines, measurable, limited) - male/he.

anyways, i feel that the whole rosetta stoned reference draws back into "eulogy" very well. you know, like, there's all this shit happening all at once, the narrator's able to FEEL it all, but all that he's able to communicate was insufficient, little nothings ("he had a lot of nothing to say"), like: "holy fuckin' shit". after the ufo splits the sky, etc, etc ...that's all HE could say. jesus, i feel, had the right ideas, and he lived to communicate the golden rule, love, and all of those sacred concepts that we (probably?) should've grasped. the problem was not with jesus. i don't think that it was his fault (at all) that we fell into hypocrasy. in the apc dvd's commentary, maynard cites how constantine's decision to adopt christianity (or something?) took love "out of the equation". and ...now, we are "broken", "severed", etc.

The Holy Gift
07-06-2007, 09:24 PM
yes these things i know/understand. but the song is the jesus parable, plain and simple.
its about false martyrs and false heads of states and false prohpets like jim jones. i just feel ur trying to read too much into it, trying to take blood from a stone. its just not in there. i mean i could quote lyrics in this post all day...but i dont feel i need to. im sorry i just cant agree with u here. no hard feelings or anything. in all seriousness i find most of ur other interpretations pretty good, and i find myself agreeing with a lot of your posts. i just feel on this one that your trying too hard.

iAMtheMA!
07-09-2007, 09:00 AM
:)

YOU could be the ONE
to save ME from MY own existence...

'ME', 'the chosen ONE', they chose 'ME'
(...and I didn't even graduate from fuckin' high school)

i've attempted this once before, but i came at it from outside the music. i'm not sure why i chose "eulogy" to express this theory of mine, but i could've gone with most any other tool (or tool-related) track you could come up with*. respectfully (of course), if it's as simple as identifying pronouns (as if tool were speaking out towards 'ALL of us', this 'SEA of names'), and you're throwing labels haphazardly atop of metaphors, how am i "trying too hard"?

well, i'm not denying the jesus idea (...it's more like 'i'm bringing it along'), but i really do feel as if it were more of a metaphor towards christ and his fucking stick. perhaps i'll get into the rest of "eulogy" since my explanation failed to fall into place. live and learn...

* seriously, any requests? heh.

iAMtheMA!
07-09-2007, 09:17 AM
after the ufo splits the sky, etc, etc ...that's all HE could say.

i didn't mean HE the narrator, by the way. it's more like HE the "part of me" (the narrator's left-hemisphere, analytical side). if there was any confusion...

The Holy Gift
07-11-2007, 07:50 PM
dood i just dont see that every song maynard ever wrote has some 3rd person pronoun point of view to it. sometimes an apple is just an apple.

uummm..nocoolnames
07-11-2007, 10:25 PM
your theory that tool has an overbearing message of ascension to a higher level of being throughout their cds is.... inovative.
but i find myself agreeing with the holy gift on this one, as he says "an apple is just an apple", its not the key to the universe (unless your on lsd)
besides, i think this song is to angry to be an instruction manual to the universe.

iAMtheMA!
07-12-2007, 10:19 AM
yes, i feel that they are a "tool for ascension" ("i must climb to a new place now"). and it's the 1st-person point of view that i'm trying to cystalize here (and now i wonder if anyone is actually considering this perspective).

i'll bring it out a little bit. if you really want to know how i've come to this pronoun theory, you must understand that it took me a great deal of faith, research, and intention (still, i feel i've only scratched the surface). in my opinion, tool is as pure as it gets 'round here; they seem to be truth-seekers and messengers trying to educate all of mankind (of our tragic fall from grace, what it has done to our perceptions/consciousness, and what we're able to do now to move beyond - "heading back home" - towards our path back into the light). i figured that since these are all common themes in and around tool's music, then perhaps they're creating within a specific means of expression ...a more-audio-than-visual form of egyptian hierogylphs ("holy/sacred carvings"). i'll admit that i sort of rushed into this theory, and i tested how it could work (instead of testing how it couldn't) ...and it felt solid for a while. half a year now, and i can't seem to shake it...

IF you feel as if the band understands that we are all ONE (and there's plenty of evidence to suggest this ...within lyrics, vineyard journals, album liner artwork, music videos, etc.), then the 1st-person pov is rather significant . so, then, what's with all of these 2nd-person pronouns? IF we're all one, then how could there be another? who is tool refering to? well, couldn't they be refering to the "collective judas", those who "lie, cheat, and steal" ...those who have chosen to deny oneness, and divinity, for this cold world of "order, rules, and regulations". also consider that the band advocates a denial of death (and there are plenty of instances of this stance as well) ...'cause that's an important theme as well.

anyways, "apples" and all, it's disappointing to see so many people selling this track* short because of its references within christianity. that's what they're doing to "the pot" and the government, "rosetta stoned" with aliens, and "aenema" to the apocalypse - even though they're all on the surface, there's much more beneath ...so, why settle, why get comfortable? if anyone needs anything to help solidify my claims, just let me know and i'll try to accommodate whatever requests.

* and reality, if you think about it ...i mean, perhaps the general fanbase concepts of "no, it's about jesus, they mention a cross!" was a calculated attempt to create an immediate example of irony or hypocrasy. these are the sort of things i don't think i could put it past this band...

iAMtheMA!
07-12-2007, 10:31 AM
this may be leading off into another direction ...but to those who think that it really is about jesus, why doesn't the line "come down, get off your fuckin' cross!" shake that very theory? seriously, you hear "cross" and instantly think "jesus" - even when it says "come down" AND "get off" from that idea - and after more than 11 years since its release - gee, it certainly sounds to me like it's fuckin you.

so, bill hicks fans... where fuck are you? there's a neat little theme within this track that strikes upon hicks' routine concerning "jesus is back, and he's pissed off!" and "it's kinda like going up to jackie onassis with a rifle pendant".

anyways, back to the pronouns!

To ascend YOU must die.
YOU must be crucified
For YOUR sins and YOUR lies. [sic]
Goodbye...

so, again, would YOU die for ME?

and doesn't it make sense for mjk to be a complete asshole to those fans who see him backstage ...a "fuck you" (a la "hush") might actually mean "destroy the limited perceptions of duality and embrace the sacred triad of unity". it's a compliment. :)

uummm..nocoolnames
07-12-2007, 09:26 PM
i dont personally think its about christianity, but i still think you might be reading a little to much into this

but hey, maybe im wrong, tools a universe given messanger to lead us on the right path, and maybe i dont have enough faith, but we all die sometime, so sooner or latter ill find out.

The Holy Gift
07-12-2007, 10:26 PM
this may be leading off into another direction ...but to those who think that it really is about jesus, why doesn't the line "come down, get off your fuckin' cross!" shake that very theory? seriously, you hear "cross" and instantly think "jesus"

dood all i said is that its the jesus parable, except that its about false martyrs, false prophets, false heads of state. they spew on and on about how they are here for you, telling you what you want to hear, but when it finally comes down, down to taking one for the team....theyre all like....."naaaah". "i swollowed his facade cause im so eager to identify" "took a stand on every little thing" "not all martyrs see divinity, but atleast you tried" "come down, get off your fucking cross, we need the fucking space to nail martyr" "to ascend you must die, you must be crucified, for you sins and your lies" these lines are all dead giveaways. yes, its written as the jesus parable....but its about all the others.

iAMtheMA!
07-13-2007, 07:35 AM
i think the whole "swallowed" idea is predominant theme within their music/message: "devour to survive", "i will choke until i swallow" "saturn comes back around ...spits you out like a child", etc, etc, etc...

so, when "he looked right through me (with somniferous almond eyes*)", this is the exact same moment as "i swallowed his fascade..." (a theory i have going on, check it out)...

anyways, i'm late for slavery.

pax et amor.

* the vesica piscis

iAMtheMA!
07-14-2007, 06:43 AM
need a perfect circle references, too?
let's run through thirteenth step quickly...

he/she ...again, it's the difference between knowing and feeling. controlling, defining, etc ...we've built a world of knowing everything ("everything but his heart")...

your halo slipping down to choke you now
("i will choke until i swallow, choke this infant here before me")

i wanna say that the halo is the activation of the pineal gland, the spark "becomes a flame" ..."difficult to see you in this light" ...the light within "jimmy": "glow child, glow. i'm heading back home!" ....the halo (third eye) will choke our YOU-perception ...and it will lift "me up and turn ME around" ...so, is the mentioned "cloud" lachrymal? hmmmmmm...

call an optimist, she's turning blue
such a lovely color for you
while I just sit and stare at you
I don't want to know

("don't know, won't know"
"I am surrendering to the gravity and the unknown")
and i'm not sure if the color blue is to be connected to "the pot"s "cozened indigo", but i can see it work there. "third eye": "Black as holes within a memory
And blue as our new second sun." ??? idk...

i might as well just post all of the lyrics to "A Stranger"; try it out:

Cast the calming apple
Up and over satellites
To draw out the timid wild one*
To convince you it's alright
And I listen for the whisper
Of your sweet insanity while I formulate
Denials of your affect on me
You're a stranger
So what do I care
You vanish today
Not the first time I hear
All the lies
What am I to do with all this silence
Shy away, shy away phantom
Run away terrified child
Won't you move away you fucking tornado
I'm better off without you
Tearing my will down

* uhhhhh, dead give away right there.
(= "wide eyed hopeful, wide eyed and hopefully wild")

and "the outsider" video is quiiiiiiite clever within this scheme/theory of pronouns... check it out again ... "wanna see something funny?" the FEMALE shows the MALE something that stirs emotion. it's random. it's unexpected. and the boy cries. his fear takes over within the situation... okay, try this as well. from the beginning, when you tap into your mind ...meditation, drugs, etc... you're more apt to understand abstract themes, feelings, and emotions. you're releasing the FEMALE from your prison of limitations (MALE). "i'll be watching you" says the left hemisphere to the right. ..."don't you see?" (a la bill hicks, motioning awareness via the third eye) - again "hey, boy!" ...disorder, destruction, the FEMALE breaks all the rules ...all while the MALE (mjk) repeats "no, no, no!" >>> "Desperate to control all and everything".

and then, of course, you've got the lyrics: "everyone will have HISday to die" ...all of us? every single one of us? why is it HIS???

crimes ...i think it has something to do with our base-ten system (...dollars, cents, money?) instead of focusing on 9. (http://www.rense.com/RodinAerodynamics.htm) ...that's my initial guess, though.

"nurse" is an awesomely overlooked track.
she's falling hard for me i can see it in her eyes
she acts just like a nurse with all the other guys

the right/female "part of me" (our abstract/intuition) wants to get out, explode, and explore the random ...just like the bikini bandits in the outsider vid. but in this track, she LOVES ...and it seems unconditional, without substance use ('cause then she'd be a nurse to the first-person)

i love this one. in "pet" ...

I'll be the one to protect you from
Your enemies and all your demons
A will to survive and a voice of reason ***
Your enemies and your choices, son

They're one in the same
I must isolate you
Isolate and save you from yourself
(huge!^)

"find a center in YOU" = "isolate YOU"

"Our body is light, we are immortal.
Our body is love, we are eternal.
Eternal..
Omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, without judgment."

a will to survive = right
voice of reason = left

Part vampire = left
Part warrior = right
Carnivore = left
and voyeur = right

TO ASCEND, YOU MUST DIE
YOU must be crucified

For YOUR sins = right

and YOUR lies. = left

...you (left/right) = the parts of me...
(now refer back to "part of me" by tool)

...i >>>KNOW<<< the pieces fit!
(yeah, schism's an important track)

and then "gravity"...
catch me heal me lift me back up to the sun
help me survive the bottom
(see: "bottom" by tool)

i could go on forever, friends.
it's all interconnected, it's all one.

aaaaaaaaagain, anyone wanna play?

The Holy Gift
07-15-2007, 09:01 AM
"difficult to see you in this light" hes refering to his mother.

your so off base...way off

Inner_Eulogy
07-17-2007, 09:31 AM
:)

YOU could be the ONE
to save ME from MY own existence...

'ME', 'the chosen ONE', they chose 'ME'
(...and I didn't even graduate from fuckin' high school)

i've attempted this once before, but i came at it from outside the music. i'm not sure why i chose "eulogy" to express this theory of mine, but i could've gone with most any other tool (or tool-related) track you could come up with*. respectfully (of course), if it's as simple as identifying pronouns (as if tool were speaking out towards 'ALL of us', this 'SEA of names'), and you're throwing labels haphazardly atop of metaphors, how am i "trying too hard"?

well, i'm not denying the jesus idea (...it's more like 'i'm bringing it along'), but i really do feel as if it were more of a metaphor towards christ and his fucking stick. perhaps i'll get into the rest of "eulogy" since my explanation failed to fall into place. live and learn...

* seriously, any requests? heh.

Did either of you ever stop to think that maybe it's not christ who condemned any and everything but rather the organized religion, or perhaps even the ones that wrote the books on him. Unless it was written by Jesus himself, it very well could have been re-worded or misinterpreted by the listener. I don't know if any of that makes sense but, what the hell.

The Holy Gift
07-17-2007, 09:51 AM
that makes sense...but i didnt say it was jesus, i said its the jesus parable...and that its about false prophets, false church heads, false heads of state, etc.

iAMtheMA!
07-17-2007, 10:01 AM
good luck reading this...

yeah, agents. jesus was righteous. there was nothing that he did without seeing through love. so, the guy was good. our "fisherman". vesica piscis. "almond eyes" ;) ;) "when HE speaks, HE speaks through ME" (and if you've been paying attention...)*. but, yeah, i did stop to think about that one, thank you. infact, maynard states within his woodstock '99 set: "ever heard of jesus or buddha or krishna or muhammad or any of those guys? they had some pretty good ideas ...then their agents started trying to make a little money on them & fucked everything up. never trust an agent. this song is about those agents. ...choices always were a problem for you. what you need is someone strong to guide you. deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow, what you need is someone strong to use you... like me... like me. if you want to get your soul to heaven, trust in me. don't judge or question. you are broken now, but faith can heal you. just do everything i tell you to do. deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow. let me lay my holy hand upon you. my god's will becomes me. when he speaks out, he speaks through me. he has needs, like i do. we both want to rape you. jesus christ, why don't you come save my life. open my eyes and blind me with your light and your lies." :)

is the surface of this seemingly sound theory made of teflon?

* take another look at alex grey's "painting", 1998. perhaps this is akin to what we see in the "stinkfist" vid t'wards the end. the right side of the male's being had evolved to form a new mouth over his LEFT shoulder, telling HIM (through ME) what to say ("mention this to me, mention something, mention anything ...and watch the weather change" heh, the weather: "and i FEEL it coming over like a storm again" and lustmord's contributions within the 10,000 days album). also, the "hush" vid, with all of these lyrics and instruments playing, but you don't see the musicians move much (physically) or use their mouths. which easily leads me into the "sober" video with that guy found behind the dusting window/door ...a ripped out LEFT-hemisphere, and no jaw. oh, and ...of course: "remember i'll always love you even as i tear your [b]fucking[/u] throat away". awesome.

pax et amor.

iAMtheMA!
07-17-2007, 10:24 AM
"let me lay my holy hand upon you"
"stinkfist" had multiple use of hands in the music and video, wow!

poke!

iAMtheMA!
07-19-2007, 11:39 AM
mentioning of "doctor" = reference to the third eye?
(http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p=2066887)

iAMtheMA!
07-20-2007, 06:46 AM
let's talk about lachrymology... (a little more)

this is frustrating...
i keep trying to hook you all.
when's it gonna happen???

-------

lachrymology

okay, so ...the study of crying?
(hmmmmm, i doubt tool's refering to the study of crying from our -two- eyes)
anywhoo...

-------

mentioning of "storm" or "weather" = reference to the activation of the third eye?

lustmord's weather contributions (10,000 days: wings part 2), track 12 on lateralus (triad), "mention this to me ...and watch the weather change" (disposition), the storm (- ions)*, "without the skin, beneath the storm, under these tears the walls came down" (h.), "and i feel this coming over like a storm again" (h.)

* which leads into "third eye" quite nicely, mind you.

-------

and the "rain" or "crying" that results = the endogenous release of dimethyltryptamine?
the guitar solo (10,000 days: wings part 2), "blood like rain come down, drum on graven ground(?)" (vicarious), "to weep like a widow" (lateralus), "if it keeps on raining, the levee's going to break" (a led zeppelin cover of "when the levee breaks"), "'cause i'm praying for rain, i'm praying for tidal waves" (aenema), a baby cries (cesaro summability), "i choose to ...cry" (forty-six & 2), "i could have cried then. i should have cried then" (h.), "don't cry or feel too down" (eulogy), "it brings us closer than dying and cancer and crying" (4°)

[btw, tmv makes mention of a "lachrymal cloud", and i have my theories that "purple onion" by les claypool has something to do with all of this as well - ummmmmm, so start digging over there now, as well]

purple onion = third eye? (i thought it was interesting...)

-------

"without the skin, beneath the storm, under these tears the walls came down" (h.) *remembering the past*

================equals================

"if it keeps on raining, the levee's going to break" (a led zeppelin cover of "when the levee breaks") *looking into future*

levee's? walls?

right? perhaps?

-------

anyone's interests sparked yet?

iAMtheMA!
07-20-2007, 06:48 AM
oh!
how about THIS!

the gaping lotus experience

I had a friend once he took some acid
Now he thinks he's a fire engine
It's okay until he pisses on your lighter
Kinda smells kinda cool kinda funny anyway

satan, satan, satan...

I had a friend once he took some ecstasy
Tried to marry me and every one in the room
He was sort of loving kinda caring,
kinda tried to fuck my lazy boy
It got a bit messy all over the curtains,
arm chair covers, throw pillows, and carpeting

satan, satan, satan...

I'm getting bored again...

translation:

round 1:
in a single moment, IIIIIIIIIIIII (to emphasize ONENESS!) was able to trip (on acid: i believe strassman stated that lsd could be THE most important tool we have for understanding the human brain: and all that good stuff : "blame hoffman") ...then HE (revert to pronoun theories above) appeared and now we can't utilize our third eye (as easily, regularly): again, in one moment, a lachrymal fire ("spark becomes a flame, flame becomes a fire"). and in the next, access to our third eye ceases ("mildewed ...and smoldering" GET IT?!!?!??!??!?!!!!). in fact, if you didn't come across this angle before... "repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability, to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here" yeaahhh.

so, satan gave us choice? is this man's fall from grace?

:goes to listen to "fallen angel" by king crimson (big huge sloppy hint right there):

round two ...ecstasy, happy consumers, happy haze, marriage, "TRIED TO FUCK MY LAZY BOY" (again, pronoun theory)...

satan, satan, satan...

affluenza...

iAMtheMA!
07-23-2007, 09:18 AM
has anyone else heard of tool? or am i the only one?

iAMtheMA!
07-25-2007, 04:13 PM
YOU LIFTED ME UP (climb to a new place now)
TURN ME 'ROUND (i've come 'round full circle)
SO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
(ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII)

hmmmmmmm?

Inner_Eulogy
07-27-2007, 10:39 AM
anyone's interests sparked yet?

Nope

Inner_Eulogy
07-27-2007, 10:48 AM
has anyone else heard of tool? or am i the only one?

We wouldn't be here if we hadn't heard of Tool, however, I think your mindless rant (in my opinion) has alleviated anybody's interest in this thread.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
07-27-2007, 06:54 PM
i think that this song has to do with Jesus. Whether its on the 'surface' or you know to really read into it. I think that it has a lot to do with him. What do you think?
why do i always come back to this one?

some of you may not enjoy my attempt to explain "eulogy" via citing various lyrics from the entire tool discography, but whatever... i'll try to make sure that it's as obviously relevant as possible.

alright, well, "he" ...we might as well be talking about science here (*wait, just give it a chance). straight lines, measurements, provable, gotta-see-it-to-believe-it ...it's my belief that perhaps tool's trying to tell us that our current level of consciousness (again, 44&2, disharmonic, non-unity, polarity, etc) and the reality we've formed has been created through mankind's dominant use of left-hemisphere functions. furthermore, we know religion (more specifically the western domination of - Father, He, etc) has been an opiate of the masses. throughout this "apathetic existence", religion has had us up on the cross (so to speak) with our "head down" and "eyes closed" (remember: "repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift and eye to heaven") ...yet our throats are wide open ["he had a lot of nothing to say"]. never fear, though ("there's no love in fear") ...after all, "Mom's coming 'round to put it back the way it outta be". and because of "his fleeting time here", something's gonna happen soon [and "we'll miss him"]. 2012 sounds about right. but i don't know... heh, won't know.

are we not yet aware that tool is trying to suggest that we are all one? that we should strive to "breathe in union"? unity consciousness? 46&2? if there's still a doubt, please check over some of the album liners, especially what has been created by alex grey. tool needs us there, they need us to feel as one ("i need you to feel this, i need this to make me whole"). therefore, every time tool ...or a perfect circle ...or puscifer ...or whatever (caduceus even?)! every time the first-person narrative ("i/me/my") is mentioned, tool is speaking from unity consciousness. so, yeah, i tend to believe that we're all over-thinking a bit; we could have been missing out on something rather simple this entire time (hey, i may be wrong - but try it out). so, again, who is "you"? well, conversely, "you" would refer to everyone on THIS level of consciousness ...us ...44&2. if you look over to your friends or family as individuals seperate from your being, then tool is talking to "you". it is my belief that tool and their "tedious path" is a tool/instrument for us to "fathom the power" of unity consciousness, 46&2 - (in fact, this idea now fuels my every step, and everything i am). perhaps others may be able to relate on some level to this idea?

the rest of the song, within this perspective, is rather easy to figure out i think. a few (random) notes, though...

not that it needed to be said, but the "heart" refers to the metaphysical. curves, feelings difficult-to-measure/prove, intuition, and the abstract (believe-it-to-see)... basically, the right-hemisphere of our brains. but a balance needs to exist. so, what's the balance between science and metaphysics? is it alchemy? (see "schism" - and keep in mind that danny carey, an alchemist, claims "schism" as his favorite track). all-knowing, all-powerful, and one with all ("omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent") ...without judgement. mer de noms ...this ONE sea (of names), the collective, our entire species ...it's not going to "care at all" or become aware of the words you speak if there is no balance, if we remain disharmonic, damaged, broken, lost, numb, severed, sleeping...

i think the biggest problem we've created for ourselves within this cold world of ours concerns death. tool (bill hicks) tells us that "there's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, (and we're the imaginations of ourselves)". yet, the common idea suggests that death ends it all. nothing is on the other side (except maybe a heaven or hell). some will even live their lives as best (or as worst) they can and are then judged accordingly ...but only after death. basically, "to ascend you must die". but, considering my pronoun theory, it's mention within this track hardly refers to the absence of life. it has much more to do with the concept/perception of "you" (left vs right) ..."you" will need to die in order to become aware of "me" (the balance, unity). "would YOU die for ME? ...don't YOU fuckin' lie." but then what's the "lie"? this reality. the beginning of salival says it all (and quite nicely). refer to "you lied", "vicarious", "the pot", "right in two", etc ...it goes on and on... and i'm fairly certain most water references (especially within undertow) represents the lie as well. "i hope it sucks you down", "you're saturating me", "no one even invited you in", etc. 1st-person vs 2nd. simple.

anyone wanna play?

TOOL / Aenima / 02 / Eulogy

He had alot to say.
He had alot of nothing to say.
We'll miss him.

So long.
We wish you well.
You told us how you weren't afraid to die.
Well then, so long.
Don't cry.
Or feel too down.
Not all martyrs see divinity.
But at least you tried.

He had a voice that was strong and loud.
We'll miss him.
Ranting and pointing his finger
At everything but his heart.
We'll miss him.

No way to recall
What it was that you had said to me,
Like I care at all.

So loud.
You sure could yell.
You took a stand on every little thing
And so loud.

He had a voice so strong and loud and I
Swallowed his facade cuz I'm so
Eager to identify with
Someone above the ground,
Someone who seemed to feel the same,
Someone prepared to lead the way, with
Someone who would die for me.

Will you? Will you now?
Would you die for me?
Don't you fuckin lie.

Don't you step out of line.
Don't you fuckin lie.

You've claimed all this time that you would die for me.
Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy?

You had alot to say.
You had alot of nothing to say.

Come down.
Get off your fuckin cross.
We need the fuckin space to nail the next fool martyr.

To ascend you must die.
You must be crucified
For your sins and your lies. [sic]
Goodbye...

iAMtheMA!
07-28-2007, 06:34 AM
well, it's kinda disheartening to throw all of this together - to be able to wrap ALL of maynard's lyrical efforts together - (...and not that i'll stop bumping it with references and relations), yet only ONE member was moved enough to "play ball" and comment on the actual theory ...which was really more of a ..."yeah, i see it, too".

awesome.

alright, moving on, which side of this tool/apc/caduceus/puscifer/billhicks/etc spectrum haven't i run by yet...?

requests??? (i can start anywhere)

and i asked "has anyone else heard of tool? or am i the only one?" in the style of this pronoun theory. :\ ...but seriously, it's only a "mindless rant" if you're not able to jump to each track from whatever lyrical references. otherwise, i mean, it's all connected ...i list off variations of the same sorta things. i realize it's a little more abstract, but i don't exactly have the time to write out all that i'd love to share. i don't know why you all need to be spoon fed...

thomasknight
07-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Can't you just apply your pronoun theory to everything ever written in the history of mankind? You've demonstrated you have a theory about pronouns, but not about Tool. I understand that you have come to your theory through listening to Tool, but I can't see how you've shown that Tool think of this whilst writing the lyrics.

The Holy Gift
07-29-2007, 01:02 AM
i keep trying to tell this kid that not every tool song is about a third eye, or chakras, or any of that nonsense. omg ticks and leeches is about record companies. wings/10000 days is about his mom. H. is about his son. and Eulogy is about false martyrs, false heads of state, false prophets, etc.

saintjoe
07-30-2007, 02:59 AM
i dont wanna be the one to bring u down and all....but please come down off ur cross ;). ur way over interpretting this song. i think u need to read the lyrics in a literal fashion. maynard is not hiding the meaning, hes not trying to bury it, or decieve you-its about jesus. you guys remember ther april fools joke? then maynard saying ha ha jesus is a punk. well in this song, jesus is a punk. he tells people what they want to hear, so theyll follow him (hitler anyone?), but its all empty lies. then when it comes time for him to die, die for your sins, he hears his own eulogy and might want to change his mind (You've claimed all this time that you would die for me. Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy?). essentially this is maynards view of christianity. we all know how he despises organized religion, he feels jesus is a fraud, and thats what the song is about.

nice try kiddo

iAMtheMA!
07-30-2007, 09:27 AM
Can't you just apply your pronoun theory to everything ever written in the history of mankind? You've demonstrated you have a theory about pronouns, but not about Tool. I understand that you have come to your theory through listening to Tool, but I can't see how you've shown that Tool think of this whilst writing the lyrics.

"EVERYONE will have HIS day to die".

dead give away.

like, omg ...even girls will have "his day to die".

...that, and there's no such thing as death (so, what the fuck is dying?)

AND WE'RE OFF!!!

(rrright?)

iAMtheMA!
07-30-2007, 09:28 AM
and i'm not saying that this is the only way. i don't know shit. hell, i don't want to know. never. but this is what i'm taking from it. this is what i'm getting.

thomasknight
07-30-2007, 01:50 PM
and i'm not saying that this is the only way. i don't know shit. hell, i don't want to know. never. but this is what i'm taking from it. this is what i'm getting.

cool, also, don't think i was rubbishing your entire theory, it's interesting to look through that perspective.

iAMtheMA!
07-31-2007, 07:23 AM
no doubt.

====
"i am without one doubt" (no "second guessing" here) vs. the "terrified of being wrong", cold and paranoid vampires.

Inner_Eulogy
07-31-2007, 10:08 AM
i keep trying to tell this kid that not every tool song is about a third eye, or chakras, or any of that nonsense. omg ticks and leeches is about record companies. wings/10000 days is about his mom. H. is about his son. and Eulogy is about false martyrs, false heads of state, false prophets, etc.

Exactly....him and Medusa seem to think everything that has anything to do with Tool is in some way, shape or form related to chakras and the third eye. I think their insight is good and their posts may be well thought out but, it's extremely close minded, misled and biased.

iAMtheMA!
08-01-2007, 09:09 AM
extremely?

wow, you must really need reason, eh?

i suppose i'll just try harder... though the fact that you all need something like this spoon fed, like a baby, should probably tell you much more than "these guys should get over the third eye stuff". please be unwilling to shut off this avenue ...it's not going to hurt you (well, "this may hurt a little"). plus, i could go days on end describing how it works - which is much more than the holy gift can say about wings/10000 days, h., and eulogy. to settle on base interpretations ...the ones that were spouted from a million hypocrites the instant these albums landed ...it's disappointing really. really.

hey, i'll save you some time...
the pot's about the government.
mantra's about squeezing a cat
ticks & leeches is about little bugs
reflection's about the moon
h. is about devo keenan

way to go guys... (hypocrites)

why not just stop there? (...close minded ...misled ...biased.)

sounds like "the grudge" to me.

give away the stone.

let go of that "groan of tedium" (there, a freebie)

Inner_Eulogy
08-01-2007, 09:36 AM
extremely?

wow, you must really need reason, eh?

i suppose i'll just try harder... though the fact that you all need something like this spoon fed, like a baby, should probably tell you much more than "these guys should get over the third eye stuff". please be unwilling to shut off this avenue ...it's not going to hurt you (well, "this may hurt a little"). plus, i could go days on end describing how it works - which is much more than the holy gift can say about wings/10000 days, h., and eulogy. to settle on base interpretations ...the ones that were spouted from a million hypocrites the instant these albums landed ...it's disappointing really. really.

hey, i'll save you some time...
the pot's about the government.
mantra's about squeezing a cat
ticks & leeches is about little bugs
reflection's about the moon
h. is about devo keenan

way to go guys... (hypocrites)

why not just stop there? (...close minded ...misled ...biased.)

sounds like "the grudge" to me.

give away the stone.

let go of that "groan of tedium" (there, a freebie)

Perhaps you should work on your english. Nothing you said made any sense. It was just a bunch of broken statements without a single point of meaning.

Ghostwriter
08-01-2007, 09:48 AM

Incorrect. Very few Tool songs have an exact meaning; what the band tries to convey and what matters is what the song means to you. Each song means something different to everyone so you cannot claim it's about one persons idea. Think about it...

Inner_Eulogy
08-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Incorrect. Very few Tool songs have an exact meaning; what the band tries to convey and what matters is what the song means to you. Each song means something different to everyone so you cannot claim it's about one persons idea. Think about it...

I disagree to an extent, it's true that their songs are layered in their themes HOWEVER, there are certain themes which they ARE NOT about. Vicarious is NOT about your third eye, The Pot is NOT about the chakra system and Right In Two is NOT about peanut butter and jelly fucking sandwiches.

]v[edusa
08-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Exactly....him and Medusa seem to think everything that has anything to do with Tool is in some way, shape or form related to chakras and the third eye. I think their insight is good and their posts may be well thought out but, it's extremely close minded, misled and biased.

Man, I wish I could be more perfect of a being like you. ~~

You have to be the number one person on here that thinks he knows it all. Anything thats beyond your opinion is just complete nonsense. oooo and I find it just so god damn hilarious that you call ME and others closed minded, misled, and bias. Everything that comes out of your mouth in this forum just makes you even more of a hypocrite then you already are.

I'm a hypocrite, I'm not perfect. I will even say I make a lot of mistakes on here and that people shouldn't be taking my every word because I change my mind ever so often. But my God, you are the master of all hypocrites on this forum and it amuses me how blind you are to your dark side. It's like you think it doesn't exist every time you come on here. I'm definitely not being very intelligent at the moment, but I just cant help but reflect ignorance.

If you want to become more stressed then you already are, why don't you keep building your wall more and more to the point that you begin to really go insane.

You may not see this part of you, but I see it clearly... and its ugly.

Listen, I have a heart, and I know that you do have a soft spot. dig through your subconscious already and free yourself so you don't have to be so judgmental all the time!

I don't want to have to point my finger at you, but if you're going to keep doing this to me and others then I have no choice but to reflect it back to you.

much love,
drea

Inner_Eulogy
08-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Man, I wish I could be more perfect of a being like you. ~~

You have to be the number one person on here that thinks he knows it all. Anything thats beyond your opinion is just complete nonsense. oooo and I find it just so god damn hilarious that you call ME and others closed minded, misled, and bias. Everything that comes out of your mouth in this forum just makes you even more of a hypocrite then you already are.

I'm a hypocrite, I'm not perfect. I will even say I make a lot of mistakes on here and that people shouldn't be taking my every word because I change my mind ever so often. But my God, you are the master of all hypocrites on this forum and it amuses me how blind you are to your dark side. It's like you think it doesn't exist every time you come on here. I'm definitely not being very intelligent at the moment, but I just cant help but reflect ignorance.

If you want to become more stressed then you already are, why don't you keep building your wall more and more to the point that you begin to really go insane.

You may not see this part of you, but I see it clearly... and its ugly.

Listen, I have a heart, and I know that you do have a soft spot. dig through your subconscious already and free yourself so you don't have to be so judgmental all the time!

I don't want to have to point my finger at you, but if you're going to keep doing this to me and others then I have no choice but to reflect it back to you.

much love,
drea

=-P

notregistered
08-05-2007, 12:14 AM
do you do this with other bands too?
you seem to take their music way more seriously than even they do. maynard uses a lot of the same motifs and themes in his work. a lot of authors do that too. some of the songs have clearer meaning than others and you shouldn't talk down to people who don't get your way of looking at things.
why do i believe h is about his son? because that's what he said. i don't know about you, but i don't believe that he would just make that up. i understand he likes to joke around but there's a big difference between "this next song is about anal sex... all of the songs are about anal sex" and "this song is for my son and his mother." maybe his sense of humor is really dry and i just don't get it.

People who study the bible don't look as much into jesus' words as you do into maynard's. i'm betting you probably have already, but you should check out "cuntry boner". maybe there are hidden layers of meaning there too.

iAMtheMA!
08-07-2007, 08:29 AM
layers, exactly. this perspective that i hold, the way that i've choosen to look at tool's efforts ...it isn't the only way to interpret their songs, obviously. it's just one angle ...i bring it up because i feel it's a fairly significant layer.
i enjoy it.
show-and-tell.

iAMtheMA!
08-07-2007, 08:47 AM
this is from the 11.23.1996 show ("Pennsylvania Bay")

"Ever have someone love you so much that they tried to kill you? Or perhaps suck you down into a hole? And you had to kill him to get away? ...Me either."

...here's my take on this. crucify the ego. then, deny your hold of "the grudge" side of your brain (left/male, controlling, defining, paranoid, paralyzed, "need-to-know", "dead as dead can be") ...say "goodbye!" ...kill him (so to speak). "You know you're gonna have another accident? You know I'm involved with black magic? Fuck you. Die. Bastard. You think you're so cool, hm? Asshole."

Inner_Eulogy
08-07-2007, 10:49 AM
this is from the 11.23.1996 show ("Pennsylvania Bay")

"Ever have someone love you so much that they tried to kill you? Or perhaps suck you down into a hole? And you had to kill him to get away? ...Me either."

...here's my take on this. crucify the ego. then, deny your hold of "the grudge" side of your brain (left/male, controlling, defining, paranoid, paralyzed, "need-to-know", "dead as dead can be") ...say "goodbye!" ...kill him (so to speak). "You know you're gonna have another accident? You know I'm involved with black magic? Fuck you. Die. Bastard. You think you're so cool, hm? Asshole."

It's pretty lame when every word you say is quoted lyrics

Inner_Eulogy
08-07-2007, 10:57 AM
do you do this with other bands too?
you seem to take their music way more seriously than even they do. maynard uses a lot of the same motifs and themes in his work. a lot of authors do that too. some of the songs have clearer meaning than others and you shouldn't talk down to people who don't get your way of looking at things.
why do i believe h is about his son? because that's what he said. i don't know about you, but i don't believe that he would just make that up. i understand he likes to joke around but there's a big difference between "this next song is about anal sex... all of the songs are about anal sex" and "this song is for my son and his mother." maybe his sense of humor is really dry and i just don't get it.

People who study the bible don't look as much into jesus' words as you do into maynard's. i'm betting you probably have already, but you should check out "cuntry boner". maybe there are hidden layers of meaning there too.

I do understand what you're saying, however, about 15% out the rest of people on here have no fucking clue and then they come up with this elaborate theory that holds no reletivity at all. And yes, some things do and will have an underlying theme but NOT EVERY FUCKING TOOL SONG IS ABOUT THE GODDAMN THIRD EYE!! That's just fucking stupid and close-minded to think that somehow EVERY SINGLE SONG is somehow layered with third eye and chakra references. It's not that I disagree that some do have that theme, it's OBVIOUS that some do, but it takes an utter moron to think that it's relevant in EVERY SONG. As I said before, Right In Two, is NOT about splitting your third eye into two, The Pot is NOT about the chakra system, H. is NOT about your third eye being H.alfway open, 10,000 Days is not about how long it takes your third eye to open or whatever kind of fucking retarded ideas that some of these people come up with. I may come across as a complete jackass but it's just COMMON FREAKIN' SENSE

notregistered
08-07-2007, 08:41 PM
exactly. I think this dude might smoke too much pot and listen to too much tool/apc and bill hicks. I hope this guy isn't one of those people who listens to maynard's bands exclusively. there's so much other music out there.

iAMtheMA!
08-08-2007, 09:30 AM
wake up.

iAMtheMA!
08-08-2007, 10:15 AM
i did have a disclaimer at the beginning concerning the use of lyrics. that's the point of the entire thread, it's a web. also, there's no way i'd expect any of you to coast through this without any effort.

sorry.

...about 15% out the rest of people on here have no fucking clue and then they come up with this elaborate theory that holds no reletivity at all. And yes, some things do and will have an underlying theme but NOT EVERY FUCKING TOOL SONG IS ABOUT THE GODDAMN THIRD EYE!! That's just fucking stupid and close-minded to think that somehow EVERY SINGLE SONG is somehow layered with third eye and chakra references ...I may come across as a complete jackass but it's just COMMON FREAKIN' SENSE

you know what's really fuckin' funny about all of this? this left, right, ordered vs. abstract, and it's "all in your head" ...it's not just in the lyrics. in fact, i don't see many people on this board discussing the subtleties of fades, polyrhythms, math, pans, solos, etc. to deny the efforts of the other three members of this band would be a major mistake; it is a collective effort after all. furthermore, i mean, well it takes a good deal of faith i'm sure, but you've already accepted this theory if you believe that the members of tool are able to understand oneness: "omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, without judgment." now. check over ALL of their pronouns again: "i" means "IIIIIIIIIII...", and it's just that simple. relative. ultra-relative. common freakin' sense, even. this band is somehow able to call out upon the world's bullshit hypocrasies without hesitation, without fear, to live vicariously as order and rule wash over mankind (see aenima liners) in a hostile attempt to gain absolute control (see faaip de oiad). it's the brilliance of the band imho, they "hide" meaning within the words in such a way that it is left up to the listener ...and the band can keep on going without blame. so, this particular level is yet another choice. if you choose to hear it, then it's there (see rosetta stoned). believe it to see it. i feel that's what they mean by "think for yourself". tap into your mind's eye ...and think (inward, and for yourself).

iAMtheMA!
08-08-2007, 10:41 AM
oh, and pay close attention to all of those sensory applications, especially when it comes to sight (just look at all those eyes...).

but since "right in two" was brought up i'll suggest that there could be a strong parallel between "HE had a lot to say, HE had a lot of nothing to say" and "don't these talking monkey's KNOW that eden has enough to go around?". the problem is that we're talking too much, yet not enough from the heart. "cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion". this is why hicks hates marketing and pre-election poles, this is why he went on the rant about the reaction within the 'basic instinct' test-audience ("turned off by" the lesbian sex scenes), it was even alluded to when he talked about voting with the wallet instead of using your heart ..."see, the reason i didn't vote for bush ...was 'cause he's a MASS MURDERER!" this is the problem. this is a huge problem. and it's spreading. and without question. anyways...

left = know (he)
right = feel (she)

Lord Worm
08-08-2007, 04:52 PM
jesus people, take what you want from there music. thats what makes it so great, the open field of interpretation for you to take from it. no reason to get so defensive about your own belief, and no reason to try to shut down someone elses.

notregistered
08-08-2007, 06:17 PM
you do listen to other bands outside of maynard's and comedians besides bill hicks, right?
how should i "wake up" exactly?

iAMtheMA!
08-09-2007, 07:55 AM
yes, notregistered, rest assured that i do listen beyond the limits of maynardco.
(you really needed two posts to gather such information?)

who said "the pot" was about the chakra system?
speakin' of which...
check out all those single eye's "high eye", "lemon juice in your eye"
(hmmmmmmmm...)

no, THIS SONG ISN'T ABOUT THE THIRD EYE!
(oh, okay.)

"Who are you to wave your finger? So full of it"
(full of what? probably "shit", right? which "adds up at the bottom...")

"You must have been out your mind"
rosetta stoned: "i'm out of my head"
(...well, if we're all one...)/(forty-four&two/disharmonic)

"am i alive? am i dead?"
CHOICES ALWAYS WERE A PROBLEM FOR YOU :)

"Eye hole deep in muddy waters"
(right in two: "repugnant is a creature ...lift an EYE"
...lift it out of the muddy waters. out of the "bottom".)
again, crucify the ego: "don't go tossin' your stones around"

"You practically raised the dead
Rob the grave to snow the cradle
Then burn the evidence down"
(soooo... bill hicks: "there's no such thing as death"
merkaba: "eternal", parabola: "we are eternal")
for this idea, check out grey's "st.albert"...
the cancerous "suckers of satan's cock" of this world are atop a tall tower of skulls, is this their "house of cards and glass"?)

"weapin' shades of indigo"
i can't believe i didn't start this theory here. and you all have the balls to state that there's NO WAY that this song could have anything to do with the third eye. are you shitting me? here's the kicker: SHED WITHOUT A REASON!!! absolutely equates to ..."DON'T KNOW, WON'T KNOW!" awesome, eh? reason/logic/ignore-the-smoke/defining/confining/sinking-deeper/left/male/he/know (not feel). i've mentioned it before, everything fits... (i just don't know if it's right or wrong)

Blackdakhma
08-09-2007, 08:58 AM
I honestly think that you're making waaaayyy too many connections between their songs. I could see/understand your views on eulogy, but it seems as though you need to stray off to other songs a bit less. But with that last post, you went a bit overboard with connecting different songs.

Although, I have made a conclusion about the "to ascend, you must die" line. (I'm going to be a completely overthinking Tool fan just as you are right now.) It could be a reference to evolution and how science is causing our (please don't make a pronoun reference with that) lifespan to last much longer. With this and our dependence on technology requiring less and less natural/environmental adaption in mind, this is delaying our evolution so that we can't ascend to our next evolved state.

(Yes, I know I just took it out of the context of the song; I was just thinking about that line and that thought came out.)

Inner_Eulogy
08-09-2007, 09:29 AM
yes, notregistered, rest assured that i do listen beyond the limits of maynardco.
(you really needed two posts to gather such information?)

who said "the pot" was about the chakra system?
speakin' of which...
check out all those single eye's "high eye", "lemon juice in your eye"
(hmmmmmmmm...)

no, THIS SONG ISN'T ABOUT THE THIRD EYE!
(oh, okay.)

"Who are you to wave your finger? So full of it"
(full of what? probably "shit", right? which "adds up at the bottom...")

"You must have been out your mind"
rosetta stoned: "i'm out of my head"
(...well, if we're all one...)/(forty-four&two/disharmonic)

"am i alive? am i dead?"
CHOICES ALWAYS WERE A PROBLEM FOR YOU :)

"Eye hole deep in muddy waters"
(right in two: "repugnant is a creature ...lift an EYE"
...lift it out of the muddy waters. out of the "bottom".)
again, crucify the ego: "don't go tossin' your stones around"

"You practically raised the dead
Rob the grave to snow the cradle
Then burn the evidence down"
(soooo... bill hicks: "there's no such thing as death"
merkaba: "eternal", parabola: "we are eternal")
for this idea, check out grey's "st.albert"...
the cancerous "suckers of satan's cock" of this world are atop a tall tower of skulls, is this their "house of cards and glass"?)

"weapin' shades of indigo"
i can't believe i didn't start this theory here. and you all have the balls to state that there's NO WAY that this song could have anything to do with the third eye. are you shitting me? here's the kicker: SHED WITHOUT A REASON!!! absolutely equates to ..."DON'T KNOW, WON'T KNOW!" awesome, eh? reason/logic/ignore-the-smoke/defining/confining/sinking-deeper/left/male/he/know (not feel). i've mentioned it before, everything fits... (i just don't know if it's right or wrong)

LMAO, you gotta be fuckin' kiddin' me.

notregistered
08-09-2007, 09:25 PM
you didn't answer my fucking question. that's why i asked it twice.
if you don't listen to them already, you should check out some of the mars volta's lyrics. they're more creative than maynard's words. you might have some fun interpreting them, too.

maynard repeats a lot of the same words and imagery in his lyrics. that's all it is. nearly every artist has some repeating motifs and themes in their work. there's nothing special about that.

Bundahead
08-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Who cares where or how people draw their own interpretations of songs? Its art, so naturally its subjective. Anyone who hears the song will draw from it based on their own feelings and frame of mind. I believe that it is impossible to sit outside yourself and objectively interprate any peice of artwork. It (the interpretation) will always be laiden with the beholder's past and present. Maybe I should restate the first line I wrote. Why debate over who's interpretation is correct? it may be interesting to hear where and how you came up with the interpretation; but fuck the going back and forth over who's right.
If that dude says its ALL about the third eye, then by all means, its about the Third Eye...to him. And if I say its about Hypocrasy, then its about hypocrasy....to me. And if you say its about Monkies flying around in space throwing shit on each other, then , by all means, its about monkies flying around in space throwing shit on each other...to you.
The real question to me is how does it inspire you? How does it reach you and then where does it take you? Through what portal in our little fucked up minds does it enter? Maybe the person that percieves this all as "Third Eye" subject matter is being overwhelmed by the fact that his is being acknowledged for the first time. A new interpretaion by him will come later; I'm sure of it. Just give 'em time. Try not to be so negative towards him even if you think he's misguided. Saying things like "I hope he's not one of those people who only listens to....." isn't fair and its kind of self righteous. I mean, who are you to wave your finger anyway? Right?

Inner_Eulogy
08-10-2007, 10:11 AM
you didn't answer my fucking question. that's why i asked it twice.
if you don't listen to them already, you should check out some of the mars volta's lyrics. they're more creative than maynard's words. you might have some fun interpreting them, too.

maynard repeats a lot of the same words and imagery in his lyrics. that's all it is. nearly every artist has some repeating motifs and themes in their work. there's nothing special about that.

Unfortunately I don't like Mars Volta

Inner_Eulogy
08-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Who cares where or how people draw their own interpretations of songs? Its art, so naturally its subjective. Anyone who hears the song will draw from it based on their own feelings and frame of mind. I believe that it is impossible to sit outside yourself and objectively interprate any peice of artwork. It (the interpretation) will always be laiden with the beholder's past and present. Maybe I should restate the first line I wrote. Why debate over who's interpretation is correct? it may be interesting to hear where and how you came up with the interpretation; but fuck the going back and forth over who's right.
If that dude says its ALL about the third eye, then by all means, its about the Third Eye...to him. And if I say its about Hypocrasy, then its about hypocrasy....to me. And if you say its about Monkies flying around in space throwing shit on each other, then , by all means, its about monkies flying around in space throwing shit on each other...to you.
The real question to me is how does it inspire you? How does it reach you and then where does it take you? Through what portal in our little fucked up minds does it enter? Maybe the person that percieves this all as "Third Eye" subject matter is being overwhelmed by the fact that his is being acknowledged for the first time. A new interpretaion by him will come later; I'm sure of it. Just give 'em time. Try not to be so negative towards him even if you think he's misguided. Saying things like "I hope he's not one of those people who only listens to....." isn't fair and its kind of self righteous. I mean, who are you to wave your finger anyway? Right?

For I am Dan, and I shall wave my finger at any and all for I am human, and to be human is to be me..."the pot calling the kettle black". We all do it. I agree with what you said and I never said people didn't have a right to their opinions, just like my opinion is that if you are one who thinks the songs on 10,000 Days are related to the third eye that you're retarded...or "ya' musta' been high"

notregistered
08-11-2007, 08:44 PM
i never said his interpretation was wrong. i just thought it was way, way out there. his train of thought is far out and he condescends to people who don't follow his incoherence immediately. the meanings behind the songs aren't really that complicated and i highly doubt that about 17 years ago maynard sat down and decided his lyrics from that point on would be based on some code involving pronouns that one person might understand. that's all i'm saying.

Bundahead
08-13-2007, 08:02 AM
For I am Dan, and I shall wave my finger at any and all for I am human, and to be human is to be me..."the pot calling the kettle black". We all do it. I agree with what you said and I never said people didn't have a right to their opinions, just like my opinion is that if you are one who thinks the songs on 10,000 Days are related to the third eye that you're retarded...or "ya' musta' been high"

LMAO, give it a break, DAN! Just sit back in your chair and take a few deep breaths and repeat after me: Dan is a retard. Dan is a retard. Dan....
[i'm kidding with you_ ; ) ]

Inner_Eulogy
08-13-2007, 09:53 AM
LMAO, give it a break, DAN! Just sit back in your chair and take a few deep breaths and repeat after me: Dan is a retard. Dan is a retard. Dan....
[i'm kidding with you_ ; ) ]

Nah, I'm not retarded...just strongly opinionated and bull headed.

iAMtheMA!
08-22-2007, 03:40 PM
really, the mars volta? and yeah. what i meant was ...it is my opinion that you need to 'wake up' ...BECAUSE ...iiiiii'm fairly inclined to believe that there's an intimate connection between the mars volta and tool (i've even mentioned this before). binaural beats, excessive/deliberate dimensional panning (whatever that is), the lyrics and subject matter, flowing melodies and influences over hard polyrhythms, monstrous climaxes, and subtle resolutions, etc. ...all seemingly leading t'wards a balance of sorts ...perhaps an 'understanding'. or a truth. it's all there (even in hicks' comedy) ...just waiting. waiting for personal revelation? waiting for a large following? probably not. BUT! who knows? more importantly ...who the fuck needs to know? again, my opinion: it's far more important to wonder, to ask questions. start with "why?" that's a big one ...this is what it means to think for yourself. and, i mean, IF you were wondering ...a perfect circle, puscifer, the melvins (!), robert fripp, king crimson, bill hicks, meshuggah, wolfmother (so, it's not so bad that tool lost out to 'em, right?), pygmy love circus, adrian belew ...and i've left out (and haven't yet found) a lot more. intimate.

(!) "parabola" dvd commentary ...listen for it.
speaking of which, there's a lot of inter-related motifs and participations with maynard/tool and david cross/mr.show ...i'm sure you've noticed this as well.

WHY? hmmmmmmmm...

iAMtheMA!
08-22-2007, 03:57 PM
hey, kids!

one more before i go.

"the outsider" video. disclaimer: this is an a perfect circle tune. ya know how the bikini bandits, who were finally released from 'jail', could represent the out-of-control, without-limitations-or-confinement, completely-free-spirited characteristics of the right hemisphere??? "A passionate spirit Uncompromised Boundless and open" :) WELL!!! keep your eyes (heh) on the various liquids that fly around the suburban assholes of america as a direct result of their holy 'rampagin'.

splash splash here, splash splash there

...then the scout takes a few "sips of coke" (...anyone?) and then the hottie asks him a question (typical) ...WANNA SEE SOMETHING??? what happens? "weep in shades of indigooooo , shed without a reason". ahhhhhhhhhhhh, nice. also, i especially love how the blindman TRIPS over these ladies.

hahaha... great joke ...hicks styyyyyyle. ;)

actually, the more i look into it, the more i get the feeling that all of this may have been crafted specifically to resemble the effects that are found within hermetic alchemical paintings.

iAMtheMA!
08-24-2007, 08:25 AM
...and i just started on kevin booth's book.
"bill hicks, agent of evolution"

"...don't ...you ...see?" -bill hicks, sane man*
(motioning some sort of sight out of his forehead)

*hate to promote sales, if it comes to that, but i REALLY enjoy this dvd.
he connects so well with the audience. every cell in his body moved to express.

HollyMarie
08-24-2007, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=iAMtheMA!;1957767]why do i always come back to this one?

anyone wanna play?

I agree with the majority of that...but I would say that could be the "message" of aenima, but i thought 46 & 2 was more about that than eulogy. my opinion.

mrskeenan
08-24-2007, 02:59 PM
jesus people, take what you want from there music. thats what makes it so great, the open field of interpretation for you to take from it. no reason to get so defensive about your own belief, and no reason to try to shut down someone elses.

exactly!!! i'm sure there was one or more certain messages or meanings at hand when the song or songs were written, but i think that thought exactly...WE can take our own interpretations and fit that into our own lives, that's a big part of the beauty of it! pointing fingers at who's right or wrong is irrelivant to me, as long is you find the music fulfilling that's what should matter.

Inner_Eulogy
08-27-2007, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=iAMtheMA!;1957767]why do i always come back to this one?

anyone wanna play?

I agree with the majority of that...but I would say that could be the "message" of aenima, but i thought 46 & 2 was more about that than eulogy. my opinion.

What in the hell was that?

iAMtheMA!
08-27-2007, 11:42 AM
exactly!!! i'm sure there was one or more certain messages or meanings at hand when the song or songs were written, but i think that thought exactly...WE can take our own interpretations and fit that into our own lives, that's a big part of the beauty of it! pointing fingers at who's right or wrong is irrelivant to me, as long is you find the music fulfilling that's what should matter.

yeah, i haven't really even touched upon what this particular/subjective lens has provided for me. since the beginning of 2007... there has been so many things that i've been able to branch out with that it's crazy. well, for instance, i've found spirituality (and that's a big one). never knew it was there before. i'm trying to strengthen my intensions (gripping the earth with every step*), currently seeking out a way to override the "middleman" (bill hicks language for 'search inward'), "bring it out" (love?), "take you back in" (crucify the ego?). hypocrascies, in general, have been noticablely easier to spot ...and confront. i see it well within these suburbs, and i get a tragic kick outta watchin' the boston news. i mean, it's pretty bad that people are watching this bullshit "security" blanket, feeling as if they need it ...but it's even worse to think that people can't seem to entertain a single cynical once-over when it comes to any of the never-ending-and-shiney-shit that flies ad nausea 'round here.

vermont bay, or green mountain bay
...sure sounds like a wonderous place, don'it?

heh, again, "the outsider" ...disconnect and self-destruct = having an ego, or believing that you are seperate from everyone else. so, take YOU back in. into ONEness. into MEness.

i wonder if that's why bill hicks says: "people who hate people, COME TOGETHER!"

;) maybe? idk.
pax et amor.

* with the mentality that it's only by chance that the two connect.

0ctopod
09-02-2007, 11:59 PM
I'm a believer, iAMtheMA!.

I think the songs are all interconnected on a specific level, and universal on limitless others. The pronouns are definitely key to the specific one.

Why not start with the obvious issues related to Keenan, shall we? Let's start with his Mom and his rape.

First of all, the missing "feminine presence" starts with the first ep. A careful glance at the collage inside the Opiate inlay reveals a photo with four couples at some sort of dance/ball. A portion of the photo is hidden by another element in the collage, and that portion happens to include one of the women. This is a direct reference to Ænima, because the "anima" is the feminine part of the male psyche, and we're dealing with a male text. That covered female could mean that she's missing, hideous, unavailable, lost, Etc., and all of those terms can easily be applied to a paralysed mother rotting away back home in rural Ohio.

"Under a dead Ohio sky, eleven has been and will be waiting"

So it's safe to assume that Jimmy is related to Wings, right? And Wings eulogizes his mom. Where else do we find an eulogy? I find it interesting that the lyric "Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy?" finally makes sense. Because it doesn't make sense to sing that to Jesus. But it does make sense to sing that to someone who is in a comotose state, someone who is being a martyr for her faith. It also doesn't make sense for Keenan to "correct" the martyr in question by explaining what it takes to be a proper savior: "To ascend you must die / you must be crucified / for (our) sins and (our lives) / goodbye". This makes much better sense, however, when projected on to an individual whom Keenan believes is wasting her faith and energy in continued devotion to what he considers a dead end.

Keenan, of course, turns the tables on himself by singing from the anima's perspective in songs such as The Patient:

"Is this a test? It has to be,
Otherwise I can't go on."

But otherwise he sings about her or to her:

"Underneath her skin and jewelry,
hidden in her words and eyes
is a wall that's cold and ugly
and she's scared as hell."

In some songs it's as if the anima is daring him to "dive deeper":

"You're wading knee deep and going in.
And you may never come back again."

If you listen to Swamp Song as if it's from the perspective of the lost feminine presence speaking to Keenan's dominant presence (warning him not to venture any further into the "bog"), it opens up a whole new meaning. Plus, it jives with the metaphors used later on in more transcendent material:

"I stick my hand into (the) shadow
To pull the pieces from the sand.
Which I attempt to reassemble
To see just who I might have been."

So what changed? What made it so he couldn't be this other person who "might have been"? To me, it has to be the rape:

"It took so long to remember just what happened.
I was so young and vestal then"

The thing that makes the situation so terrible is that when you take a look at the artwork for the Prison Sex single, the situation becomes horrifically obvious. Judith's paralysis facilitated his rape. She was unable to protect him, which informs his cynisism about her continued faith:

"Someone told me once
that there's a right and wrong"

"If you want to get your soul to heaven,
trust in me."

"Defining, confining, controlling, and we're sinking deeper."

"Father blessed them all with reason,
And this is what they choose?"

"Shroud of virtue hung to mask your stigma
as I smile and laugh and dance
and sing your glory"

All of this, of course relates to the videos. And isn't it interesting how all of the videos reference several songs instead of just one? The male and female characters? The apparent argument between these factions? The "H/11" metaphor repeated over and over?

Suffice it to say that I definitely think the songs are all inter-related on a certain level. Yes, there are countless different personal meanings for each individual listener, but the clues are there for anyone searching for the speaker's personal point of view.

Tool_Is_Sick
09-04-2007, 09:26 PM
^ This man does this homework.

Inner_Eulogy
09-06-2007, 09:44 AM
All of this, of course relates to the videos. And isn't it interesting how all of the videos reference several songs instead of just one? The male and female characters? The apparent argument between these factions? The "H/11" metaphor repeated over and over?

Very well put. In regards to the 11 metaphors, someone had made an interesting possible connection that H is when you connect the 1's 11 1-1 = H "when one and one are back together" and that (-) ions partly represents the "-" combining 1 and 1...so if you add them all up 1 - 1 = H. Therefore H is putting one and one back together.

http://www.inkescape.blogspot.com/

Here's a link to the site I found it.....this guy's got some really great ideas and theories I've never thought of before. Check it out.

0ctopod
09-07-2007, 04:33 AM
http://www.inkescape.blogspot.com/

Thank-you. That's my blog.

The main problem with my approach is that I'm vastly unread in alchemy, the occult and tarot. I'm getting started, though. I hope to write on all the segues.

Inner_Eulogy
09-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Thank-you. That's my blog.

Oh yeah

Eulogy33
09-07-2007, 12:35 PM
need a perfect circle references, too?
let's run through thirteenth step quickly...

he/she ...again, it's the difference between knowing and feeling. controlling, defining, etc ...we've built a world of knowing everything ("everything but his heart")...

your halo slipping down to choke you now
("i will choke until i swallow, choke this infant here before me")

i wanna say that the halo is the activation of the pineal gland, the spark "becomes a flame" ..."difficult to see you in this light" ...the light within "jimmy": "glow child, glow. i'm heading back home!" ....the halo (third eye) will choke our YOU-perception ...and it will lift "me up and turn ME around" ...so, is the mentioned "cloud" lachrymal? hmmmmmm...

call an optimist, she's turning blue
such a lovely color for you
while I just sit and stare at you
I don't want to know

("don't know, won't know"
"I am surrendering to the gravity and the unknown")
and i'm not sure if the color blue is to be connected to "the pot"s "cozened indigo", but i can see it work there. "third eye": "Black as holes within a memory
And blue as our new second sun." ??? idk...

i might as well just post all of the lyrics to "A Stranger"; try it out:

Cast the calming apple
Up and over satellites
To draw out the timid wild one*
To convince you it's alright
And I listen for the whisper
Of your sweet insanity while I formulate
Denials of your affect on me
You're a stranger
So what do I care
You vanish today
Not the first time I hear
All the lies
What am I to do with all this silence
Shy away, shy away phantom
Run away terrified child
Won't you move away you fucking tornado
I'm better off without you
Tearing my will down

* uhhhhh, dead give away right there.
(= "wide eyed hopeful, wide eyed and hopefully wild")

and "the outsider" video is quiiiiiiite clever within this scheme/theory of pronouns... check it out again ... "wanna see something funny?" the FEMALE shows the MALE something that stirs emotion. it's random. it's unexpected. and the boy cries. his fear takes over within the situation... okay, try this as well. from the beginning, when you tap into your mind ...meditation, drugs, etc... you're more apt to understand abstract themes, feelings, and emotions. you're releasing the FEMALE from your prison of limitations (MALE). "i'll be watching you" says the left hemisphere to the right. ..."don't you see?" (a la bill hicks, motioning awareness via the third eye) - again "hey, boy!" ...disorder, destruction, the FEMALE breaks all the rules ...all while the MALE (mjk) repeats "no, no, no!" >>> "Desperate to control all and everything".

and then, of course, you've got the lyrics: "everyone will have HISday to die" ...all of us? every single one of us? why is it HIS???

crimes ...i think it has something to do with our base-ten system (...dollars, cents, money?) instead of focusing on 9. (http://www.rense.com/RodinAerodynamics.htm) ...that's my initial guess, though.

"nurse" is an awesomely overlooked track.
she's falling hard for me i can see it in her eyes
she acts just like a nurse with all the other guys

the right/female "part of me" (our abstract/intuition) wants to get out, explode, and explore the random ...just like the bikini bandits in the outsider vid. but in this track, she LOVES ...and it seems unconditional, without substance use ('cause then she'd be a nurse to the first-person)

i love this one. in "pet" ...

Your enemies and all your demons
A will to survive and a voice of reason ***
Your enemies and your choices, son

They're one in the same
I must isolate you
Isolate and save you from yourself
(huge!^)

"find a center in YOU" = "isolate YOU"

"Our body is light, we are immortal.
Our body is love, we are eternal.
Eternal..
Omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, without judgment."

a will to survive = right
voice of reason = left

Part vampire = left
Part warrior = right
Carnivore = left
and voyeur = right

TO ASCEND, YOU MUST DIE
YOU must be crucified

For YOUR sins = right

and YOUR lies. = left

...you (left/right) = the parts of me...
(now refer back to "part of me" by tool)

...i >>>KNOW<<< the pieces fit!
(yeah, schism's an important track)

and then "gravity"...
catch me heal me lift me back up to the sun
help me survive the bottom
(see: "bottom" by tool)

i could go on forever, friends.
it's all interconnected, it's all one.

aaaaaaaaagain, anyone wanna play?

interesting

Eulogy33
09-07-2007, 12:37 PM
I'll just go ahead and point out that Tool = weiner, and A Perfect Circle = butthole.

"I need you to feel this" vs. "feed me/ fill me up again."

Interesting, though, that his voice tends to be higher for Tool.

ha...i never thought of it that way but, it makes alot of sense.

gjamison27
09-07-2007, 01:04 PM
So Pussyfer must be the vajayjay!!!

iAMtheMA!
11-24-2007, 07:30 AM
and tool is the penis.

ufopancakes
12-06-2007, 09:54 PM
I think the fact that we all come from the same place (being a single organism) has been an underlying principle in Tools music since Aenima.

"We are all one mind capable of all thats imagined and all concievable"

Yet a more interesting quote. I heard it in Zeigeist, though I am unaware of its root.

"There is a new consciousness developing that sees the earth as a single organism, and recognizes that an organism at war with itself, is doomed"

iAMtheMA!
12-07-2007, 09:45 AM
indeed, check the hicks citation in third eye, jambi's "breathe in union", etc. etc. it's everywhere ...i can hardly wait until you ALL figure this out. (must keep reminding myself...)

but, oh. ...yeah, so, a correction (as i see it, of course):

...a perfect circle is the one (circle, inner, vagina, feminine), tool is the other (square, outer, penis, masculine). :)

"the poetry that comes from the squaring off between
and the circling is worth it finding beauty in the dissonance"

beauty?
puscifer is the, vesica piscis, almond-eyed, golden/phi CHILD (reflection of heaven and earth).

look up "squaring the circle" and "phi" if you haven't already. then search around for da vinci's "vitruvian", the "great pyramid", "sacred geometry", "alchemy", etc.

oh, and try this now:
"locked up inside you, like the calm beneath castles,
is a cavern (a perfect circle) of treasures (puscifer)
that no one has been to. let's go digging (tool)...

ZERO ...in alchemy*, i think ...is more like '1 & -1' ...see negative ions? does this represent the two hemisphere, rekindling communication, "spark becomes a fire ...light the way (jimmy!) or warm this hope we occupy." anyways...

but, also, as explained by blair in his "hidden" toolband flash page link (the tiny red dot) ...zero represents the fool in tarot. it is the all and everything. to cite merkaba, a more accurate translation of the tri-omni god: omniscient (all-knowing), omnipotent (all-powerful), omnipresent (all-encompassing), WITHOUT JUDGEMENT. soooooooooo... the fool doesn't know the past ...and won't know the future. the fool survives within the present moment, ecompassing past and present, heaven and earth, above and below. dancing around the central fire (the GREAT MIDDLE FLAME - GREAT PYRA-MID) between ALLLLL dualities, the fool/zero recognizes heaven and earth, TOGETHER, as a single entity. the fool returns home: 1 and 1 are 1. glow, (golden) CHILD, glow ....I'M (i am, heh) heading back home. -_-

DON'T KNOW
WON'T KNOW

*alchemy '+1 & -1" ...interesting that adrian belew pays tribute to "ampersand" :) as if to represent a child (dancing round a middle flame? and we have made connections with "indigo children" by now, right?)...

a LOUD: hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

also,

"here I AM, a matchless man,
trying to set your heart on fire..."

go alchemical mysticism... :)

Inner_Eulogy
12-07-2007, 11:54 AM
indeed, check the hicks citation in third eye, jambi's "breathe in union", etc. etc. it's everywhere ...i can hardly wait until you ALL figure this out. (must keep reminding myself...)

but, oh. ...yeah, so, a correction (as i see it, of course):

...a perfect circle is the one (circle, inner, vagina, feminine), tool is the other (square, outer, penis, masculine). :)

"the poetry that comes from the squaring off between
and the circling is worth it finding beauty in the dissonance"

beauty?
puscifer is the, vesica piscis, almond-eyed, golden/phi CHILD (reflection of heaven and earth).

look up "squaring the circle" and "phi" if you haven't already. then search around for da vinci's "vitruvian", the "great pyramid", "sacred geometry", "alchemy", etc.

oh, and try this now:
"locked up inside you, like the calm beneath castles,
is a cavern (a perfect circle) of treasures (puscifer)
that no one has been to. let's go digging (tool)...

ZERO ...in alchemy*, i think ...is more like '1 & -1' ...see negative ions? does this represent the two hemisphere, rekindling communication, "spark becomes a fire ...light the way (jimmy!) or warm this hope we occupy." anyways...

but, also, as explained by blair in his "hidden" toolband flash page link (the tiny red dot) ...zero represents the fool in tarot. it is the all and everything. to cite merkaba, a more accurate translation of the tri-omni god: omniscient (all-knowing), omnipotent (all-powerful), omnipresent (all-encompassing), WITHOUT JUDGEMENT. soooooooooo... the fool doesn't know the past ...and won't know the future. the fool survives within the present moment, ecompassing past and present, heaven and earth, above and below. dancing around the central fire (the GREAT MIDDLE FLAME - GREAT PYRA-MID) between ALLLLL dualities, the fool/zero recognizes heaven and earth, TOGETHER, as a single entity. the fool returns home: 1 and 1 are 1. glow, (golden) CHILD, glow ....I'M (i am, heh) heading back home. -_-

DON'T KNOW
WON'T KNOW

*alchemy '+1 & -1" ...interesting that adrian belew pays tribute to "ampersand" :) as if to represent a child (dancing round a middle flame? and we have made connections with "indigo children" by now, right?)...

a LOUD: hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

also,

"here I AM, a matchless man,
trying to set your heart on fire..."

go alchemical mysticism... :)

What in the holy hell

Tool_Is_Sick
12-07-2007, 10:02 PM
lol yeah he gets my vote for the oddest poster in here excluding myself of course. That guy is crazy..but i think thats why I find him interesting at times. He just randomly throws ideas at us like its nobody business.

So ill ask you again...WHAT IN THE HOLY HELL??

Inner_Eulogy
12-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Just to mention, whoever said that APC represents a vagina in name... IT WAS BILLY HOWERDEL'S BAND, NOT MAYNARD'S, MORON.

The song in which the words "A Perfect Circle" are sung were written before maynard even joined the band. while the other stuff you conjecture may be just a little out there, the APC name thing is just flat fucking wrong.

touche

iAMtheMA!
12-09-2007, 11:51 AM
What in the holy hell

at least it's a question. hey, did ya check out those search engine entries? isn't alchemy rrrrrad?! holy hell...

Inner_Eulogy
12-09-2007, 05:50 PM
at least it's a question. hey, did ya check out those search engine entries? isn't alchemy rrrrrad?! holy hell...

I keep meaning to get around to it but something more interesting in my life somehow always comes up. That's 1/2 sarcastic 1/2 seriousness. I will get around to checking them out eventually.

iAMtheMA!
12-10-2007, 05:24 AM
right on

*~*»€«(Đispositioń)»€«*~*
12-16-2007, 09:20 PM
lol just out of nowhere you started talking about alchemy i thought it was funny

iAMtheMA!
12-26-2007, 07:14 AM
dude, i do it all the time. but it's all relevant. it's not really out of nowhere. opiate, undertow, aenima, salival, mer de noms, lateralus, caduceus, thirteenth step, emotive, amotive, 10,000 days, v is for vagina (ESPECIALLY V IS FOR VAGINA: "this shit is classy!") ...ummmmmm, what else has MJK touched?

12-26-2007, 05:19 PM
We kind of already know or at least understand all the stuff you've been touching on though.

iAMtheMA!
12-27-2007, 12:42 PM
regartless.

Corksil
12-28-2007, 11:28 PM
There is a difference between knowing the path, and walking it.

12-29-2007, 11:14 AM
When I said know, it meant "we know OF it" not straight up "we know it"

12-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Bikini Bandits was so fucking stupid

iAMtheMA!
12-31-2007, 06:41 AM
Mr. Show and the Bikini Bandits...

eeeeeeeeeexactly ...king midas.
need examples?

12-31-2007, 08:39 AM
Yes please.

godhenry
12-31-2007, 02:23 PM
i can't believe that no one has mentioned in this thread that this song was written for bill hicks... seriously.

12-31-2007, 05:01 PM
That's one theory.

iAMtheMA!
01-03-2008, 08:53 AM
(http://www.unoriginal.com/mrshow/1_2.html)

Jesus and Marshall#

Cast:

John- Dr. Don Olemite
Bob- Jesus
David- Marshall
Bill- Lazarus
David V.O.: Bible Machine, with your host, Dr. Don Olemite.

[John is seated in a study. He has on glasses.]

John: Last year a lost chapter of the Dead Sea Scrolls was unearthed and perhaps the most exciting find [takes of glasses for effect] was information on a thirteenth apostle. Now known as The Overlooked Apostle, his name was Marshall and he was considered by many to be the premiere hypnotist in Galilee. The Book of Marshall, entitled "Power, Profit [Prophet?], and Passion," has shed new light on some of the best loved Bible stories.

[Cut to Bob speaking to a group which has gathered. David is standing next to him.]

Bob: [with a slight lisp] Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven.

David: [tugging on Bob's sleeve] Jesus.

Bob: Blessed are those who morn for they shall be comforted.

David: [repeats tugging] Jesus.

Bob: Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the Earth.

David: Jesus.

Bob: [annoyed] What is it, Marshall?

David: Jesus, what if I told you that the meek could inherit something a whole lot better than the Earth? What if I told you that by simply applying my theories of positivity and corrective thinking, that the meek could inherit the will to do whatever they wanted in their wildest dreams?

Bob: [humoring him] This is good news, Brother Marshall. We shall discuss it later. Blessed--

David: Jesus, you pray a lot, right? How many times, when your at home, alone, do you say to yourself, "I wish I lived in a nice house. I wish I had nice things. I wish I could lose those last twenty pounds.

Bob: Marshall, I'm not interested in things material.

David: Jesus, I used to be like you. Dirty, smelly, thinking I was the son of God, ha ha.

Bob: [to the group] Excuse us one second.

[Takes David aside]

Bob: Marshall, I *am* the son of God. And I'm not smelly, either.

David: Well...

[Cut back to John, who has his glasses back on.]

John: Marshall was famous for his after prayer seminars which encouraged [takes glasses off for effect] the other Apostles to keep their feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars.

[Cut back to Bob, David, and the group.]

Bob: Marshall, go amongst them and feed them from these five loaves and fishes. [hands him a large basket filled] By a miracle of faith, they will all be fed.

David: All ye humble of the Earth, step up and claim your fish. Only twelve drachmas a piece.

Bob: No Marshall, don't charge them anything. The fish are free; they're a gift from God.

David: All right, I'll tell you what I'm gonna do. If you act now, okay, the fish and a loaf, six drachmas a piece.

Bob: No Marshall. Just give them the fish.

David: Okay, Jesus, you got my back up against the wall on this one, but here's the deal-- If you act now, both the fish and a loaf, and I'll throw in this miraculous unleavened bread leavenator. [Holds up a toaster oven made of wicker.]

[The group applauds.]

Bob: No, don't applaud for him. No. No, you're fools.

[Cut back to John, who again has his glasses back on.]

John: Marshall was also present [glasses off] at the Tomb of Lazarus.

[Cut back to Bob, David, and the group. Bill is lying motionless on the ground.]

Bob: Arise.

David: Jesus, let me try. Lazarus, what if I told you that only losers die? And, the only thing preventing your resurrection is *you?*

Bob: That's it, Marshall. I'm letting you go.

David: Uh, Jesus, you know I'm not only a certified life-changer, but I'm also now a memory expert, what am I thinking of Jesus?

Bob: This is good news, Marshall. Please leave your sandals with Sheila on the way out.

[Cut back to John. Yes, glasses on.]

John: We can now read perhaps the moving passage in Marshall's writings [glasses off], The Long Night of Doubt.

[Cut to David, alone.]

David: God, if you're there, show me a sign. Be active, not reactive.

Jay V.O.[?]: Marshall, listen carefully to my word. Leave everybody alone.

David: God, ask yourself, are you happy settling for omnipotence?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Transition: The screen shows the collection of Marshall's works on tape.

David V.O.: "Power, Profit, and Passion." Quick cut to next scene, where Bob finishes off the line.]

seems relevant/humorous to me.

borgetti
01-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Does anybody have the idea that maybe it's about L.Ron Hubbard? That is the way i've come to see it.

Corksil
01-07-2008, 04:10 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Ron_Hubbard

Inner_Eulogy
01-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Does anybody have the idea that maybe it's about L.Ron Hubbard? That is the way i've come to see it.

God bless the ignorant

iAMtheMA!
01-09-2008, 12:06 PM
G27. The big question: Who is "Eulogy" about?
As with most Tool songs, the song is vague enough that can be interpreted to be anyone / anything. The song is primarily about the death of something which most probably turned out to be a fake. Regarding the rumor that the band is no longer on good terms with Henry Rollins; he has recently been heard talking positively about Tool, saying he was unaware of any bad blood. In Modern Drummer (10/93), Danny mentions L. Ron Hubbard as the object of the song. One way or another, though, the song has a message that can stand apart from any specific target; the interpretation is left to you, and the specifics aren't too important.

then again, i've been striving for that elusive "message of hope", rather than the warning.

Inner_Eulogy
01-09-2008, 02:42 PM
It's not like that's an interpretation that doesn't fit... it's a reasonable assumption for a first-timer.

My comment had nothing to do with it being a possibility, I never ruled it out as a possibility myself but, to come on here and make your post "Does anybody think it could be about L. Ron Hubbard?". It's like um, yes, for many many years they have, get with the program.

"After several years of research and millions of taxpayers dollars have been spent, scientists have now concluded that if you dismember a limb..it will NOT grow back"

01-12-2008, 06:52 PM
My comment had nothing to do with it being a possibility, I never ruled it out as a possibility myself but, to come on here and make your post "Does anybody think it could be about L. Ron Hubbard?". It's like um, yes, for many many years they have, get with the program.

"After several years of research and millions of taxpayers dollars have been spent, scientists have now concluded that if you dismember a limb..it will NOT grow back"
What if Eulogy is about Maynard being able to regrow his limbs, thus reaching godliness?

sam905
01-12-2008, 09:53 PM
i really wish i had the patience to read this entire disscusion, but damn you guys like to type ALOT, as it may be im pretty sure that my interpretaion would be just as right as yours, this music is ment to mean whatever you need it to, so if were talkin what I need it to mean...well it seems that if instead of applying the jesus theory or the unified soul thory, what hes saying (nonobjectively) is that everyone is on that cross and we ALL have alot of nothing to say, mabey hes even talking about himself, (and a bit off topic, does anyone find it funny that this band is making money off of shirts and shit that have the word TOOL on them, like not only are we complete dumbass's but were also willing to reach into our pockets and pay to hear what we think is the truth from these four "inspiring" individuals, but whatever the case we can all aggree, tool rocks

Inner_Eulogy
01-14-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm pretty sure we've all noted the irony of anyone wearing Tool merchandise branding themselves as something that is usually considered an insult.

DAMN IT ALL TO HELL

Inner_Eulogy
01-14-2008, 02:21 PM
A fool with a lot of nothing to say hanging from a cross... nope doesn't sound familiar to me. Nothing clearly symbolic here.

Thank you for your ever-so-enlightening post. Perhaps you could indulge what it is that you are implying.

TaraChandler
01-24-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm pretty sure we've all noted the irony of anyone wearing Tool merchandise branding themselves as something that is usually considered an insult.

I have started wearing the shirts backwards so I can see the pretty art on the back...Its a little uncomfortable, but...worth it. And I love it when people who think Nickleback is hardcore ask what Tool is, I tell them hammers and drills. And they usualy say "Ohhhh, I get it!"

K1DA
02-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Great posting iAMtheMA! !!!! Regarding the majority of the other posters in this thread, I knew it was bad... but I didn't know it was THIS bad. How does no one "get it"? Here is a quote from your hero:

"I'm gonna go ahead and go off for a second. I know that I've said this before, but only a portion of you get it so unfortunately I HAVE TO REPEAT MYSELF ALOT. I think we're all just too afraid. A lot of the decisions we make are based on shit that's fed to us in the media. And it's all based on fear. And the decisions are not from the heart, are not from compassion, and not from a place of love, but from fear. And this concerns me. 'Cuz we're separating each other from each other. And it's fucked. The example I use is uh smoking. I know it's a dumb example but its the best one I can come up with because I'm illiterate. We already know that smoking causes heart disease and lung cancer, in addition to like making you stink and whatever. But we have decided, for some reason, to go ahead and do it. That's fine. But a lot of people are deciding not to have sex 'cuz they're afraid of dying. Well everything kills you, everything kills you. Take the proper precautions and touch somebody. Ok? Because fucking feels way better than smoking cigarettes. Fuck it, do both of them. And have fun. You only live once. Stop being afraid. I'm done now." MJK

iAMtheMA!
02-08-2008, 09:41 AM
interesting. this thread was created 8 months and 13 days ago (and prolly took 5 years t'finally come around to). anyways, the basic ideas remain, though as soon as i free up some time (this weekend?) i'll look over this perspective and re-attempt my explanations and rants - though, it's prolly just going to turn into one of those "i don't even know where to begin" sorta things.

K1DA
02-10-2008, 11:30 PM
I don't think most of what you've posted needs any re-explanation. People need to realize things on their own. This is one of the main messages of this band.

1 thing I would highly encourage TOOL fans to contemplate. TOOL is all about give/take (within the band members especially). Do you think Maynard would be so selfish as to write lyrics in which the most profound layer (main message) has something to do with Maynard personally? Get real.

Gently
02-10-2008, 11:53 PM
eulogy live. = life

sperm, eggs,

alchemical universal elemental holy combination of fire and water

this i felt was right for me

only spiritual leaders can paint their bodies like so

absolutely

just so.

i felt eulogy like a

ceremony

K1DA
02-12-2008, 09:30 AM
this has to be one of the most ignorant and retarded thing i have ever read. you can't be serious.

art, created by and artist, is always personal. whether it be a painting, a musical piece, or lyrics. i believe that all four members pour out their personal experience into the songs. i don't think that they sit there and think to themselves, how is this completely impersonal piece of art going to fit best into this song. no. i think they say, how can i use my personal experience, and couple it with the other 3 personal experience to make something amazing. to say that maynard wouldn't write about something personal is absolutely ridiculous.

oh, and i didn't even have to mention wings/10k days.Read the post in which you were responding to thoroughly.

K1DA
02-12-2008, 05:22 PM
i did. you said maynard wouldn't write lyrics that were personal. i think you are out of your mind.Obviously you didn't.

Corksil
02-13-2008, 03:09 AM
@ iAMtheMA! - Yes, re-hashing and re-organizing the information posted herein may help increase the numbers who comprehend and understand. The human mind is kinda like a database (the way I see it.) It catalogs information and stores it, especially if it understands the information. Once you understand it, it would be contrary to the minds development to keep satisfied and remain idle.

What I'm trying to say is, you posted this work of art a long time ago, I am sure you have developed the ideas behind it atleast somewhat. Post up the most recent ones and you may find them to be clearer and more concise than the previous versions. (spiral out, or something like that)

@ other posters who argue - I come to this forum to discuss Tool's music. I feel that any opinion can be correct. You can believe what ever you want to believe and this can make it true. I feel it is counter-productive to discussion when we denounce the opinions of others as "wrong" and boldly tell them so. I feel it more constructive to try and understand the concepts behind different viewpoints without an argumentative tone (which can upset ppl and degrade levels of communication.)

More importantly, if this type of argument must take place I feel it should be done in a new thread - as to not detract from the key point development in threads like this one. Thanks for understanding :)

dontlie
03-12-2008, 08:59 AM
i think you may be over thinking over analyzing.which is causing you to seperate the body from the mind.maynards songs can be a puzzle,an once ive read over your whole response to the song in a way it does make sense..but honestly i think that you might be thinking deeper than maynard...it seems unlikely,maybe your just on the same level as him...i consider myself a smart person but the type of response you gave suggests that you were experimenting with some type of hallucinogen. not unlike maynard which is maybe causing an opening to inner self thought where you are able to realize completely what is being said an interpreting it more correct than anyone else can understand.an i understand that i have been to that place. i have felt a unified existence in everything.i realize that we are all one with the earth an we should feel connected with it as it is connected to us.if you want to open your inner consciousness take a hit of acid an sit in an open field on a windy day with trees all around an tell me that our inner consciousness isnt connected with everything on this planet

gjamison27
03-12-2008, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=Corksil;2375230
@ other posters who argue - I come to this forum to discuss Tool's music. I feel that any opinion can be correct. You can believe what ever you want to believe and this can make it true. I feel it is counter-productive to discussion when we denounce the opinions of others as "wrong" and boldly tell them so. I feel it more constructive to try and understand the concepts behind different viewpoints without an argumentative tone (which can upset ppl and degrade levels of communication.)[/QUOTE]

There seems to be an awful lot of this that goes on and what is really funny to me at least, is that the majority of those that do it, think they are the ones that "get it".

jarlaxle
03-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Dude, I live in Columbia too.....small world

gjamison27
03-13-2008, 12:37 PM
What part?

Inner_Eulogy
03-13-2008, 12:42 PM
What part?

In the fulcrum

gjamison27
03-13-2008, 12:47 PM
I originally replied and then noticed it was IE...

I should pay more attention to detail...

Inner_Eulogy
03-13-2008, 12:56 PM
I originally replied and then noticed it was IE...

I should pay more attention to detail...

huh? Noticed what was me?

jarlaxle
03-13-2008, 01:53 PM
What part?

Lexington

gjamison27
03-14-2008, 04:49 AM
Nice, I'm in Northeast

10-13-2008, 01:42 PM
interesting. this thread was created 8 months and 13 days ago (and prolly took 5 years t'finally come around to). anyways, the basic ideas remain, though as soon as i free up some time (this weekend?) i'll look over this perspective and re-attempt my explanations and rants - though, it's prolly just going to turn into one of those "i don't even know where to begin" sorta things.

That would be awesome

iAMtheMA!
04-04-2011, 06:53 PM
oh yeah. definitely.

Sab
04-12-2011, 05:25 AM
This is tool's greatest song.

Lackymacky
08-27-2011, 04:47 PM
There seems to be an awful lot of this that goes on and what is really funny to me at least, is that the majority of those that do it, think they are the ones that "get it".

im all for "interpreting the song..." but dont you think there's a difference between attaching a meaning to a song and using a band, their songs, and all their lyrics to figure out life?
if that was true...if what this post says is true.. you think tool would make an album every five years and drive regular cars and just chill in cali? theyd probably write books or be at least more famous or involved in some science or something...but theyre not. theyre a band making music. and just because maynard is a poet doesn't mean hes the light of god with all the answers.

thats my take on over elaborate interpretations. and as far as "denouncing other people's opinions," anyone who wants to CAN. thats the point of DISCUSSION boards...you take the agreeing with the disagreeing. thats just how it is. as far as this post is concerned, i disagree. not to be a dick, but i think this is overkill. its one thing to take some of maynard's lines and extend the thought--like how in the grudge he brings up the scarlet letter--but it should be relevant to the topic of the song. which as poetic and "deep" as it may be...it still a clear point. like the grudge, is about a grudge, plain and simple. all the interesting things maynard uses to illustrate that, make it beautiful and well thought out, but they dont change the meaning of the song....thats my opinion anyways...