PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts....

nothing, no one, no more
07-25-2003, 02:05 AM
I guess like most people, my understanding or opinions of songs are reflected by my life experiences. Especially when it comes to Tool songs, as you can never really be certain that what you've assumed is right. Before I'd read some of the opinion pages I had no idea that there were any other possible explanations, or any idea of the extent of the emotion this song releases in other people.

Pushit is my favorite song, my impressions of it mirror a hard time in my life. To me the song describes the unevenness of any given relationship and the strain it puts on both parties. The dominant one keeps trying to pull away, while the weaker keeps hanging on, hoping that if they can just do things just right, everything will work out fine. This is present when Maynard sings 'saw the gap again today, while you were begging me to stay'. The gap represents the lifeless existence the dominant party will sink into if they stay together, and life apart for the weaker. 'Remember that I'll always love you, as I claw you're fucking throat away, it will end no other way'. This is the end, the dominant one pulls away, knowing that this will destroy the other and sorry that it had to end that way.

This song is very emotive as it shows me the way I used to be, so dependent on someone else that I thought I would die when they left me. I tried everything to hold on, to the point that it almost destroyed me, I survived but Pushit shows me I almost didn't, and that I lost myself, in the gap, for a long time. It also made me realize what I did to him trying to hold on, and finally in the end that we couldn't of stayed together even though that’s what I thought I needed more than anything.

I'm probably wrong, and I accept that, I just wanted to express my thoughts, to anyone who cares to read them...

TJBundy
07-28-2003, 09:15 AM
some good thoughts....don't think they're wrong...if they're right for you that's all that matters :)

debaser
08-01-2003, 12:23 AM
I still don't get the lyrics; they seem to contradict eachother. But its still an amazingly beautiful song isn't it??