PDA

View Full Version : A Realistic Interpretation

Ghostwriter
05-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Contrary to what most of us believe about this song, it is not about sex. The supposed sex partner of Maynard in the song represents a Tool fan attempting to interpret the music. The fan is "on Maynard's dick" because they are thinking deeply about him/his music and are trying to solve the puzzle. In the song Maynard says: "I like they way youre breathing, I like the way you keep looking away". This means Maynard likes the interpretations Tool fans are making of his music but they "keep looking away", or they fail to see the obvious message in the music. Maynard loves when his fans interpret his music but he hates when we over-interprate it. Sometimes the message is so obvious and makes you say: "Hey, why didnt I think of that!?".

hushypushy
05-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Interesting interpretation, but I think the "realistic" part of it gets shot down when you realize that this song was written and recorded in 1992 (possibly/probably earlier), which was long before they had complex song lyrics to interpret...actually it was created in that period when they didn't have very many songs or fans at all.

Ghostwriter
05-28-2007, 05:27 AM
Interesting interpretation, but I think the "realistic" part of it gets shot down when you realize that this song was written and recorded in 1992 (possibly/probably earlier), which was long before they had complex song lyrics to interpret...actually it was created in that period when they didn't have very many songs or fans at all.

Well over the years the song may have gained a new meaning or been adapted/perfected in some way.

Esurient4Truth
05-28-2007, 10:59 AM
I love debates about Maynard's dick.

One of my favorite users wrote this: enjoy
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=79530

(also waiting for Jevons' input)

Eulogy33
05-30-2007, 06:44 PM
nice interpretation.

Resolution
06-03-2007, 10:17 PM
sounds like some have traveled many miles to come to their conclusions.

Ravenpig
06-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Geez, Maynard himself has said that this was just a silly stupid song that was intentionally hidden and should have never become as popular as it did before Lateralus came out. I like this song, but don't overanalyze everything. It's just a fun song, can't Tool just have fun every once in a while?

Ghostwriter
06-25-2007, 06:07 AM
Geez, Maynard himself has said that this was just a silly stupid song that was intentionally hidden and should have never become as popular as it did before Lateralus came out. I like this song, but don't overanalyze everything. It's just a fun song, can't Tool just have fun every once in a while?

It's not called overanalyzing, it's called a theory I would like other people to know. This part is the fun of the song.

Ravenpig
06-25-2007, 02:04 PM
It's not called overanalyzing, it's called a theory I would like other people to know. This part is the fun of the song.

Fair enough. I wasn't really referring to you specifically, rather just the overall observations. I was just basically saying "hey, what if it's just a fun little song?" which nobody had said yet. Which is what I believe it to be.

jpoling13
06-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Regardless of the meaning of the song, I love it. And can listen to it over and over again.

remember_forget
06-28-2007, 10:34 AM
It's about Maynard's dick.

Ghostwriter
06-28-2007, 12:06 PM
It's about Maynard's dick.

Heeheehee...

ShadowLine
07-10-2007, 02:10 AM
is this not just a parody of all the other post grunge bands such as nickleback etc and all that shit american music like puddle of mudd... cos when i listen to the lyrics its just a piss take of what these so called bands make. i think its just a guy whos in a rock band singing a song then sees a groupie he wants to screw so starts coming on to her/him. the whole slide six inches thing is just his ego, like the egos of so many frontmen.

im not saying this is right this is just how i see it.

be well.

chris
x

Ghostwriter
07-10-2007, 05:02 AM
Heeheehee...

Remember, there are some "virgin" ears in here, so lets stick with Maynards Weiner. Okay?

uummm..nocoolnames
07-11-2007, 10:55 PM
wwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
I think
this song is about we all have to let maynard fuck our brains out to ascend to a higher level of being :P

Ghostwriter
07-12-2007, 04:43 AM
wwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
I think
this song is about we all have to let maynard fuck our brains out to ascend to a higher level of being :P

Could be.... "PRYING OPEN MY THIRD EYE"...

uummm..nocoolnames
07-12-2007, 05:37 AM
lol

tali
07-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Contrary to what most of us believe about this song, it is not about sex. The supposed sex partner of Maynard in the song represents a Tool fan attempting to interpret the music. The fan is "on Maynard's dick" because they are thinking deeply about him/his music and are trying to solve the puzzle. In the song Maynard says: "I like they way youre breathing, I like the way you keep looking away". This means Maynard likes the interpretations Tool fans are making of his music but they "keep looking away", or they fail to see the obvious message in the music. Maynard loves when his fans interpret his music but he hates when we over-interprate it. Sometimes the message is so obvious and makes you say: "Hey, why didnt I think of that!?".

Brings to mind the word "irony"...

Ghostwriter
07-29-2007, 04:03 PM
Brings to mind the word "irony"...

Could you please explain?...

tali
07-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Think about it.

Ghostwriter
07-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Think about it.

...An explanation would be nice...