PDA

View Full Version : Meh, Weak live

♠Ace♠
05-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Before you go jumping to conclusions, know that I think the studio version on the 10,000 days album is magnificent. It just doesn't sit with me right live. First off, they can't get the same effects going live as they can studio, and I know that isn't their fault. Maynard trys his best to get the vocal ranting down and it's not bad but I'd much rather hear something live like Pushit or Sober. I've been looking at current setlists because I am going to a concert June 20th and I see that they are only playing like 10 songs and two of them are Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned. Now I know it is the tour for the new album, but some songs are just plain better than Rosetta Stoned in my opinion.

M00N
05-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Last September in Minneapolis i went and saw them at the target center. When lost keys started up i went crazy, and rosetta stoned was everything i wanted it to be. it was much better live for me. in fact i was craving to see rosetta stone live before i went. i think compared to the studio version, it was different but not enough to make it worthless at all.. actually all that was really different was the beginning when Maynard's talks real fast, he didn't sound as low toned or distorted as the studio version, everything else held up great in my opinion.

Mehhico
05-21-2007, 08:44 PM
I must say, the break-down is fantastic live, but the little intense bit prior to the "Overwhelmed as one would be..."....does sound almost bad. The music is great, but that RRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr just before the kick-in.....I dont think I have heard it done smoothly yet....

Take care,
Andy

the midas touch
05-21-2007, 09:23 PM
When I saw 'em in Sept., they didn't play Rosetta Stoned.
Anybody have a live version of RS (if that's an 'illegal question' ignore it please)? I've never heard it live.

lizbiz
05-22-2007, 09:10 AM
I've seen it played 3x live and I have to agree it was the weakest song in the set. The beginning sounded like mud (on all occasions) and the long looping interludes just weren't getting the crowd into it. As usual with any of their songs, when they got into it heavy, it fuckin' rocked and the breakdown was awesome too.

So overall, good parts and bad parts, but as a whole it was the weakest (which is still better than most other bands). I'm going to see them 2 more times this tour, so I'll clear my head and go in with no preconceived notions, maybe it rocks harder everytime you hear it.

mr. nikki jensen
05-22-2007, 09:23 AM
i remember being blowed away at roskilde festival last year. i was in extacy that night.

♠Ace♠
05-22-2007, 03:54 PM
When I saw 'em in Sept., they didn't play Rosetta Stoned.
Anybody have a live version of RS (if that's an 'illegal question' ignore it please)? I've never heard it live.

here ya go, http://youtube.com/watch?v=p-yYbAhtyMQ

WaggySTG
05-23-2007, 06:44 PM
I agree that it doesn't sound the same, but at the same time, I was disappointed when I saw them and expected to hear the same songs I heard on the album because they never sound the same.

I mean, they almost never play the same song twice. Don't go with any expectations, and you'll be fine.

BTW, did anyone notice that the big phone on Maynard's desk is a "mega" phone? It's probably because he uses two mics (especially live): a normal mic and a megaphone.

ladycommish
05-25-2007, 02:25 AM
Saw it three times live and I found it to be excellent in all three cases. Last time it had the best visuals as well.

same. not weak live at all.

Liam
05-25-2007, 02:32 AM
i was disappointed with rs live. pissweak compared to the grudge live in '02.

♠Ace♠
05-26-2007, 09:17 PM
We prolly won't hear much more of this song live once they get done with the 10,000 days tour.

Hannibal
05-26-2007, 10:52 PM
This is the worst song on the album to me. Which isn't a bad thing really, I just find it to be slightly boring. Some compare it to Third Eye (which is a way better song). But I agree completely live. It just doesn't have that much of an impact. I get bored with it, thats three times now, and I sat down in OKC while LK was playing. I like the studio version, but live, I could do without.

I reitterate that once the 10,000 Days tour is over, we'll probably never hear this song live again. It just doesn't work that well.

insaner
06-06-2007, 10:04 PM
however bad it may have been in the past, its on fucking point live now. the atlanta version might have been the best single song ive ever seen live. and the way justin goes off on lost keys now is amazing.

Matthew77
06-13-2007, 12:51 PM
I saw RS last August at the Gorge and it went from an alright song to one of my all time favorites. This song needs to be in the live shows during the 10K tours, but I do agree that when those tours are over we will be very lucky if we ever hear again live, just like Parabol/Parabola combo during the Lateralus tours.

♠Ace♠
06-14-2007, 07:46 PM
I am seeing a show soon and I am wondering if they can make me turn back my accusations...I sure hope so :]

lighterbandit
06-24-2007, 11:45 PM
rosetta stoned was never my favorite song, but it was the best live and that was in early june. you're right about the fast-talking at the beggining sounding different, but to me that was fuckin awesome and it sounded better than the cd version. and the ending was absolutely ridiculous.

Aenemated
06-30-2007, 06:01 PM
I agree with lighterbandit. I had all-but dismissed this song after hearing it on the cd about 2 dozen times, but after seeing it live a week ago, I did a complete 360. Maybe it was the fact that we were 15 feet from the stage, but it was an absolute trance. I have a newfound respect and appreciation for this song now, and I listen to it regularly, again.

ELBAZ
07-01-2007, 04:05 AM
i saw them twice in the last year Euro tour, and they opened with roseta
it was incredible, a grate opning for the show , and to hear- " Overwhelmed as one would be,: part was pure orgasm .

TheJaredLogan
07-06-2007, 10:30 AM
i thought it was spot on. try being on hardcore drugs and say its not good.

philipg
07-06-2007, 12:23 PM
before i saw tool i kept looking up videos of the new songs performed live on youtube just to see what i had to look forward to and whenever i found a video of rosetta i was kind of disappointed, the vocals sounded corny and the instruments sounded weak and all that but ive seen them play that song live twice now and both times it has been amazing. the vocals are always kind of low in the mix which i think makes it sound a little better, especially during the godamn shit the bed part.
its such an impressive song to see transferred to the stage, all the abrupt changes and pauses and all that come across so clean and smooth. im sure not everyone will enjoy the song, but seeing it live definitely gave me a profound appreciation of the song, more so than listening to it on my headphones.

soulslot
07-06-2007, 01:02 PM
I agree with lighterbandit. I had all-but dismissed this song after hearing it on the cd about 2 dozen times, but after seeing it live a week ago, I did a complete 360. Maybe it was the fact that we were 15 feet from the stage, but it was an absolute trance. I have a newfound respect and appreciation for this song now, and I listen to it regularly, again.

Randomly scanning this board, this one particular quote caught my attention. IF you did a complete 360, wouldn't you be in the exact same spot you were in before? (as opposed to a 180, for instance, which would place you on the other side of where you were). I'll save you the trouble of responding, im a dick.

Ghostwriter
07-06-2007, 01:14 PM
I think this song has potential and we should be more open minded, then it may sound better when they play it live. I don't have any problems with this song though, it aint bad.

Ghostwriter
07-06-2007, 01:14 PM
When 10,000 Days first came out I was "gay" for Lost Keys into Rosetta Stoned, I still like the song though...

Kangaroo_hung_me2
07-07-2007, 09:18 PM
just saw them play it tonight............uh....yeah, I pretty much hated the song on Cd, but it kicks ass live. period.

Cheesegreater
07-08-2007, 09:16 PM
just saw them play it tonight............uh....yeah, I pretty much hated the song on Cd, but it kicks ass live. period.

This song kicks my ass live. It seems the OP is against it for being too long and wanting to hear (insert here) instead.

The ranting in the beginning is undeniably "different" but I still think it's pulled off quite well. As the song progresses it just seems to get tighter and tighter. It's a climax of sorts. The drums and bass in this song own in certain parts, and Adam's guitar is incredible with all the riffs and effects.

Luosdasa
07-19-2007, 01:46 AM
bah... wha... ka? jah...ba...tha...hut?

sorry i just dont get the opening post. sorry, i just really, really, really cant see it.

Blackbird71
07-20-2007, 08:26 AM
I personally love the scream at 9:40 right after "goddamn, shit the bed." Right when Maynard let's out that scream, it seemed like every light they had on stage was on and the crowd went nuts.

I also love the "overwhelmed as one would be..." part.

First time I saw them this tour in Sept. 06 I admit it was a bathroom break. After seeing them again last month, I'm going to be sad that I'll probably never hear it again live.

MadMax
07-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Lost Keys could be taken off the setlist, i'll agree with that. However, I've seen Rosetta Stoned twice live and it rocked both times. The visuals for this song are amazing. I think it sounds great when Maynard distorts his voice. It was definitely a highlight of both shows I went to.