PDA

View Full Version : American fans

paraflux
05-20-2007, 08:26 AM
I think Tool needs to stop playing in America, what with all the bitching that goes on about the setlists, about the band's actions onstage, and about whatever other silly little band-related complaint any pubescent suburban kid may have. I'm fairly disgusted by the amount of bitching that goes on directed towards the band about their live show decisions. You arent involved in them, you know nothing about why they do what they do.

BUT FLUX DOESNT IT JUST MAKE SENSE THAT THEY WOULD BLAH BLAH BLAH INSTEAD OF BLAH BLAH BLAH

I dont care. Im not involved, so I am not one to point fucking fingers and say how it could be done better to suit MY PERSONAL TASTES. I support the band, and I accept what they've given me. Who wouldnt want to hear a complete live Undertow show? It's about what they want to play, and what they think we should hear.

About the shows ending earlier than you thought they should have, well, perhaps you shouldnt have proven yourselves as distinctly unworthy to be there in the first place, what with getting in fights and throwing shit onstage. Also, it could have had everything to do with the venue and not the band.

I think European/Aussie fans are much more appreciative and probably dont have their heads so far up their own golden asses, that way they can actually hear, and appreciate it when 4 people decide to take a crew out to a certain spot and rock the house.

Shax
05-20-2007, 08:34 AM
Good powest.

Divine_left
05-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Does this really need to be sticky? Or even in this section? Is TDN having editorials now?

That said, well said.

paraflux
05-20-2007, 08:40 AM
For a minute. And it wouldnt necessarily apply to others outside this section. And I think it should be seen, so yeah, I suppose we're having editorials, and that might just be a perk ;)

thanks

jwb
05-20-2007, 10:36 AM
No reason to bitch about people bitching. They spent their loot on the show, thought it wasn't toolworthy, and are expressing their opinion.

Dharma Bear
05-20-2007, 11:10 AM
No reason to bitch about people bitching. They spent their loot on the show, thought it wasn't toolworthy, and are expressing their opinion.

I agree.

Whats wrong with saying, "I wish we got a different setlist"? That dosn't sound like bitching anymore then just disapointment.

Here in America, we have the freedom to pay $65 for something, then be disapointed. I guess im just a big fan of democracy. :/

rintoot
05-20-2007, 11:25 AM
youre generalizing the whole group by saying (paraphrase) that we prove ourselves "unworthy" to be there. for the shit that one or two people do in regard to throwing things on stage you find a way to blame the american fans as a whole for it.

insaner
05-20-2007, 11:49 AM
i guess in europe having 13 people getting trampled to death is a healthier alternative.

that being said, quit throwing shit on the fucking stage, you caveman.

Cavalier1
05-20-2007, 11:57 AM
I agree with your statement Paraflux, but also want to counterpoint from experience. (I am a ten year fan, 20 plus concerts) ....There a so many diverse Tool Fans on these pages. In particular, those few fans, who post after concerts who are seeing The 10,000 Days Tour, for their first live Tool experience. They are the same young fans who may not know much or anything about other albums/tours, and think this is the best tour they have ever seen. The setlist is incredible to them, the show and the visuals are spectacular.

Rightfully so, the other psots, "The most of us" who are veterans of other tours, the loyal following who got Tool to where they are now...we were all first timers once. Because of that, with the 10,000 Days Tour, we may want to relive the experience of that "Wow", or "the best fucking show we have ever seen". Its not a fault to hope to hear a favorite song we heard "in our first experience". We just hope the band can give us a sense of where they came from...., and in the process introduce these new fans to songs from Undertow, Opiate, Salival or Aenema..Maynard in a Blue suit, or dressed like a woman, words on perspectives of life. "To turn this experience into something positive". We remember a much darker image of Maynard, words of wisdom "such as Think for yourself" before Third Eye..it was something like a mystical experience, and it made us think that Tool was the most unique band out there, (not a frat -bar experience as most bands of the day) We hoped they were/are the best thing going.

All in all those who are supposedly bitching...I dont think we are bitching, we may want/hope that the band introduces the new fans to the thing to which we originally thought they were. Its like we want all fans to share in that experience.

Sure, bands change over time. We should accept that and expect it. Thats where I agree with your post Paraflux.

But, the 10 year fan or 20 year fan, has been there for a reason. We liked the message from the beginning, and hope the band brings a sense of that message, into their 2007 tour.

Agenda
05-20-2007, 12:05 PM
youre generalizing the whole group by saying (paraphrase) that we prove ourselves "unworthy" to be there. for the shit that one or two people do in regard to throwing things on stage you find a way to blame the american fans as a whole for it.

Agreed. There are morons at every Tool show regardless of location, some more than others. The last show I was at (Reno) some guy spilled beer all over my girlfriend and I. Then proceeded to sing as loud as he could off key with the wrong lyrics, trying to mosh with us elbowing me and shit. Luckily he was smoking tons of weed, sercurity saw this came and threw his ass out. That guy was a moron, but I'm going not to sit here and judge all Tool fans by a single idiot. Even with the short set list and that guy it was still a great show.

Cavalier1
05-20-2007, 12:09 PM
I agree with your statement Paraflux, but also want to counterpoint from experience. (I am a ten year fan, 20 plus concerts) ....There a so many diverse Tool Fans on these pages. In particular, those few fans, who post after concerts who are seeing The 10,000 Days Tour, for their first live Tool experience. They are the same young fans who may not know much or anything about other albums/tours, and think this is the best tour they have ever seen. The setlist is incredible to them, the show and the visuals are spectacular.

Rightfully so, the other psots, "The most of us" who are veterans of other tours, the loyal following who got Tool to where they are now...we were all first timers once. Because of that, with the 10,000 Days Tour, we may want to relive the experience of that "Wow", or "the best fucking show we have ever seen". Its not a fault to hope to hear a favorite song we heard "in our first experience". We just hope the band can give us a sense of where they came from...., and in the process introduce these new fans to songs from Undertow, Opiate, Salival or Aenema..Maynard in a Blue suit, or dressed like a woman, words on perspectives of life. "To turn this experience into something positive". We remember a much darker image of Maynard, words of wisdom "such as Think for yourself" before Third Eye..it was something like a mystical experience, and it made us think that Tool was the most unique band out there, (not a frat -bar experience as most bands of the day) We hoped they were/are the best thing going.

All in all those who are supposedly bitching...I dont think we are bitching, we may want/hope that the band introduces the new fans to the thing to which we originally thought they were. Its like we want all fans to share in that experience.

Sure, bands change over time. We should accept that and expect it. Thats where I agree with your post Paraflux.

But, the 10 year fan or 20 year fan, has been there for a reason. We liked the message from the beginning, and hope the band brings a sense of that message, into their 2007 tour.

Toolfan#1
05-20-2007, 12:13 PM
I personaly can't speak for everyone but I can speak for myself and this is what I have to say. I have only been a major fan of Tool for 2 years back in 2005 so I guess that I am a newbie and considered unworthy, but I also will have seen them 5 times at the end of this 2007 tour. So I just want to point out that yes there are some fans that site Tool as there "favorite" band but in reality it is just there flavor of the week. From all the Tool shows that I have been to or going to in the next month I have never once taken the band for granted. Since I have only seen them on there 10,000 Days tour I have seen very similar setlists which is completely fine because similar setlists or not each show is unique and different some most nights they are dead on and some nights they are just going through the motions but either way each show was incredible I don't care if they play there latest single 11 times in a row for the show it will still be worht going to. It would have been awesome to see them back in the Lateralus tour which is rumored to be there best and the Undertow and ænema tour but oh well Tool has a right to change and evolve just like peoples taste have. I do and will always support Tool and there artwork which has had a personal impact on my life and I am only 15 years old. Out of the 5 shows i would have been to by the end of this tour only 1 of them was in my home town of St. Louis or under a 2 hour drive.

If you want to chat personaly about Tool email me at [email protected]

koopsta36
05-20-2007, 12:19 PM
i was there for the lateralus tour and this tour and i think the experience is just as amzing. the only thing is that there were a hell of a lot more people around this time and many seemed to be there for a party(constantly up and down the aisle for more beer) and not the music, but all in all it is unbelievable. yes i would love unpopular songs and older music to be added but i cant really complain seeing as every song is worth it. maybe there is a message in the songs left out for some dates as well as the ending of vicarious(irony) oh well, i still felt their energy. i also understand the seating on this tour but its kind of annoying when the lights go out and no one can find their seats for 20 minutes into the show( i guess thats not tools fault though

jwb
05-20-2007, 12:39 PM
I think Tool needs to stop playing in America, what with all the bitching that goes on about the setlists, about the band's actions onstage, and about whatever other silly little band-related complaint any pubescent suburban kid may have. I'm fairly disgusted by the amount of bitching that goes on directed towards the band about their live show decisions. You arent involved in them, you know nothing about why they do what they do.

In addition P-flux, if you go back and look at what you wrote you would realize how silly it reads. While I read and respect your well thought-out analysis' of Aenima and 10,000 days, you are way off base here. You come off, unintentionally no doubt, as the de-facto spokesman for the band. I'm pretty sure YOU don't know why they do what they do either. Not trying to diss, but plenty of people here (myself included) have traveled long distances at great expense to catch a couple shows and were somewhat let down by seeing the same songs performed. It's not to say that the shows sucked, it's just that we/me had hoped for something a little different and didn't get it so we expressed our disappointment. No big deal.

K7_Leetha
05-20-2007, 12:55 PM
For me its just so good I want MORE! They could've played for 4 hours and I'd still not want it to end.

paraflux
05-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Uh, the fact that I dont know is what keeps me from bitching about anything.

Fans spend their money, yes. THey get what they get, and they can either like it or not. Their choice. There is, however, a difference between being disappointed and TYPING IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE I AM SO GODDAMNED MAD THAT THEY ARENT CATERING TO MY NEEDS. That's what Im talking about. There's nothing wrong with wanting to hear Pushit. Or AEnema. But to whine and moan and get all worked up over it is simply ridiculous.

Cavalier1
05-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Accepting the evolvement of the band from Opiate till 10,000 Days, yes I agree its important to understand. Cap letters to explain how pissed off you are about a show...(possibly induced by alchohol, weed, Acid, or other things)...think for yourself....forums are forums so we all may talk about things relevant. Paraflux, I like the fact you started this thread. The bottom line is we all really think they are a great band. The fact is, we want to love them even more, and that takes opinion and acceptance/tolerance/indifference to whats out there, in what we hear and then interpret.

Curbed Enthusiast
05-20-2007, 01:25 PM
But to whine and moan and get all worked up over it is simply ridiculous.

You're whining and moaning and getting all worked up about how people shouldn't whine and moan and get all worked up - with bonus generalizations. Do you really think the bitching would subside if they just stopped playing in America?

DON IOTAE
05-20-2007, 01:25 PM

BUT FLUX DOESNT IT JUST MAKE SENSE THAT THEY WOULD BLAH BLAH BLAH INSTEAD OF BLAH BLAH BLAH

I dont care. Im not involved, so I am not one to point fucking fingers and say how it could be done better to suit MY PERSONAL TASTES. I support the band, and I accept what they've given me. Who wouldnt want to hear a complete live Undertow show? It's about what they want to play, and what they think we should hear.

About the shows ending earlier than you thought they should have, well, perhaps you shouldnt have proven yourselves as distinctly unworthy to be there in the first place, what with getting in fights and throwing shit onstage. Also, it could have had everything to do with the venue and not the band.

I think European/Aussie fans are much more appreciative and probably dont have their heads so far up their own golden asses, that way they can actually hear, and appreciate it when 4 people decide to take a crew out to a certain spot and rock the house.

i've been saying this since day one.

and also that they should come here instead of USA. ;)

paraflux
05-20-2007, 02:56 PM
You're whining and moaning and getting all worked up about how people shouldn't whine and moan and get all worked up - with bonus generalizations. Do you really think the bitching would subside if they just stopped playing in America?

lol, I'm whining and moaning? I'm just expressing reasons why people shouldnt be fucking disgusted over the shows, thats all. The day I let it get to me is the day I give this up. I think the whining and bitching would increase if they stopped playing america, but then at least they would know what they had once it would be gone.

Chill, if you arent one of the people complaining incessantly about the setlist or any other shit, dont worry about it.

Curbed Enthusiast
05-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Chill, if you arent one of the people complaining incessantly about the setlist or any other shit, dont worry about it.

You are the most ironic person ever.

Maz46&2
05-20-2007, 04:30 PM
This is kind of a hard argument to make on any side of the coin. As a fan myself, I'll admit that I've been...rather let down with the static sets this tour. It would be nice to get some variety, and I'll keep my hopes up until the tour's over, but I mean you have to understand Paraflux's reasoning for what he's saying. If you look at the review section for this tour he is responsible for making sure that the review section is just that...a review section. I've seen dozens of instances where people have posted their frustration, bitching, and general banter. 'Flux has to go through and delete all of this because it's a review section, not a discussion. More than sticking up for the band I think he's just frustrated with bitching in the review section. General comments and bitching are perfectly fine in the Live Discussion forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm not gonna lie, I've bitched and moaned as well, it's human nature, just do it in the right place. I know he mention's that he's sick of the bitching in general, but again, remember that he is the one that has to filter all of this every day so try to understand where he's coming from.

paraflux
05-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks Maz. Also, please understand that Europeans reviewing shows over there dont complain about anything related to the band, usually. If it's negative, its about the sound, or security or something based on the venue.

paraflux
05-20-2007, 04:33 PM

Yes :)

SAGET
05-20-2007, 06:01 PM
If someone pays outrageous amounts of money, the least Tool could do is not make the concert the same as it was a year ago. I mean, come on.

paraflux
05-20-2007, 06:01 PM
it amazes me how rock band fan site admins relentlessly try to control the thoughts of their constituents.

Thanks gregor. Yes, I clearly told people how to think.

If someone pays outrageous amounts of money, the least Tool could do is not make the concert the same as it was a year ago. I mean, come on.
I understand this more than you think. I'm not travelling to Dallas to see them because I saw them play it here 6 months ago. If they were coming here, sure, because last time they were here maynard was balls ass sick and the sound was fucking horrible. I was disappointed in that show, everyone probably was. But that's beside the point, and it remains that I just think if this is what they choose to do then that's what they're going to do, it's the way it's always been with them, and the idea has always been that you take it or you leave it. Just sayin.

Ganjalf
05-20-2007, 06:38 PM
I also just want to add that I think people are forgetting the fact that they are touring on 10,000 days album not Undertow, AEnima or Lateralus, yes I'd love to hear songs I've been unable to hear live (majority of them) but they are touring on their new material so of course they are going to play their new material instead of their old shit....

SAGET
05-20-2007, 07:00 PM
I understand this more than you think. I'm not travelling to Dallas to see them because I saw them play it here 6 months ago. If they were coming here, sure, because last time they were here maynard was balls ass sick and the sound was fucking horrible. I was disappointed in that show, everyone probably was. But that's beside the point, and it remains that I just think if this is what they choose to do then that's what they're going to do, it's the way it's always been with them, and the idea has always been that you take it or you leave it. Just sayin.

Same reason I'm not going. I was just saying that people who go expecting something different are going to be very disappointed. And then they will have to come here to bitch about it. I know if I spent the money and got the same show as before I'd be pissed.

But it also sucks that they aren't trying anything new. Aren't they getting bored?

paraflux
05-20-2007, 07:07 PM
I would think they would want to do different things. But there's a guy here who has helped with the lighting and design since 96, maybe he can help. His username is junior. Maybe they are locked into the set because of predetermined work already done, to program the lights/video with the songs they play. I cant imagine how big of an ordeal that must be. I would get bored, yes, but maybe lack the time, energy, and label funding for such tour support.

junior
05-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Maybe they are locked into the set because of predetermined work already done, to program the lights/video with the songs they play. I cant imagine how big of an ordeal that must be.

I can't really comment on the specifics of why, mostly because I don't discuss that with them.
I can (however) assure you it is not because of the lighting, video, or lasers.
All of those departments are willing to do whatever it takes to accommodate any additions.

imatoolhed
05-20-2007, 08:00 PM

lol. i like this guy

good thread too

paraflux
05-20-2007, 09:06 PM
thanks for your input sobot, helpful as always

insaner
05-20-2007, 09:34 PM
for everyone whos disappointed they dropped $60+ on tickets and dint get what they wanted, theres always the option of dropping 10 bucks down at the Southside Grille-

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QlrO57N6uPk

and youd even get a pitcher out of the deal!

InsideTheOutside20
05-20-2007, 09:39 PM
I also just want to add that I think people are forgetting the fact that they are touring on 10,000 days album not Undertow, AEnima or Lateralus, yes I'd love to hear songs I've been unable to hear live (majority of them) but they are touring on their new material so of course they are going to play their new material instead of their old shit....

True, but after Lateralus was released, when did they have a tour that they weren't supporting it? They didn't. We all know how long it takes them to give us new material, and we should know that any tour up until the next album will be in support for 10,000 Days (I could be wrong though). I am sure they get a little tired of the older songs that they have played countless times and new material is probably more appealing to them. But that is their job. Just like any of us, we may not like what we do and it may get old but that is how we make our money. I don't blame them if they don't want to play some of the older stuff. I am sure they have their reasons, but it would be nice if they decided to not support 10,000 Days on a future tour. They have enough songs to put together a killer show... Could you imagine? And I think if they did that, people might stop bitching a little.

I guess I agree with both sides. I understand there is really no point in bitching because if you bought a ticket, chances are you probably at least glanced at the reviews before you purchased it (unless it was on an earlier date and there were no reviews). You really have no right to complain about what they play because they will play what they want to play and you could have just not seen them... And you weren't "stuck" with your ticket.... you could have sold it.... Ebay or Ticketmaster gives you that option.

Futant3
05-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Having read a lot of the reviews for this tour I can definitely see where you are coming from. Especially since you have to filter out so much of this crap.

Thought it was also worthwhile to point out that at any given show the majority of the fans are probably first timers for a Tool concert or at the very least first timers for this tour. That aspect of the crowd certainly weighs in on the decisions the band has to make.

Another note to make is the huge difference in the demographics of the crowd from this tour versus the Lateralus tour. They haven't seemed to be nearly as diverse as they were in the previous tour. Lot more head banging, violent rock punks (not really sure how to describe the personality I'm thinking of) that seemed to have jumped on board recently, than the deep thinker Maynard would promote. If I had to guess I'd think MJK has been annoyed by that and if there is another album it will likely be very different from what we have gotten in the past, in the hopes of losing those kinds of fans.

angry load
05-20-2007, 11:03 PM
they stiill put on the best show on earth, but i feel we all suffer due to the insane number of tour dates. I dont get the immpression MJK wants to pass the mike to the crowd during the vicarious ending scream, but maybe he is compelled to b/c there are 3 more month s of touring. I feel cheated, but personally my voice was shot after 5 songs.... so i dont really have a leg to stand on.
Considering their in their 40s and banged up (danny is still a monster), it all adds up to an immpossible task, for everyone involved. The band got in way over their heads. As fans, we are slightly disgruntled bc it is clearly not cheap to attend a show (btw how bout them $75 hoddies- what?! ). THis tour is analagous to a drug addiction. Appears they go thru the motions for part of the show, but then you run into crushing versions of lateralus, RiT, and anemia. And you need more... physically i think they have hit the wall after 10-14 dates, but ill still be standing (again) on 7/13.

DON IOTAE
05-20-2007, 11:10 PM
for everyone whos disappointed they dropped $60+ on tickets and dint get what they wanted, theres always the option of dropping 10 bucks down at the Southside Grille-

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QlrO57N6uPk

and youd even get a pitcher out of the deal!

Make your own setlist, bitches!

KDubbs
05-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Here is my two cents: Tool is tight. That is the bottom line. They play the songs they want to, if they wanted to play something different, I'm sure they would. It's not like they are purposely playing the same setlist just to piss the fans off. Or maybe they are, which would be hilarious. Tool doesn't owe us anything. Pay your money, and if you can't enjoy the best rock band out there, bummer for you. Tool is tight. That is the bottom line.

ProfoundHaytred
05-21-2007, 03:43 AM

You hit that nail on the head. It is rediculous for a band to come to the same area almost 4 times in a two year span and hear the same setlist each time. Any band, tool or not. And the fact that tickets are so expensive and hard to come by makes it that much worse.

paraflux
05-21-2007, 05:06 AM
Then... dont go. Let someone else have the experience that you dont want.

drumdude1387
05-21-2007, 05:17 AM
For me its just so good I want MORE! They could've played for 4 hours and I'd still not want it to end.

thats pretty much what it is right there. and ppl throwing shit on stage is fucken stupid. and i did see the Lateralus tour and the set was amazing but just witnessing that was ossum. but i have no problem with set now sure it could use one or two more songs but wat the band wants to play they'll play and im fine with what they're playing. and for long time fans iam one myself since '95 and i know whats going on but we should just accept what Tool is playing for us.

10,000Daze
05-21-2007, 05:18 AM
Dude, what a dick topic - posted by a moderator/administrator? With a "sticky"? WTF?

I don't mean to sound like a flag-waving, Bill O'Reilly neocon, but... what's with the American fan hating bullshit? Very classy to lump us all together as you have! I see... if someone doesn't slurp Maynard and company for putting on a half-hearted 8 song set for $60+, they're close-minded, unworthy meatheads? That's pretty much it, right?

Throwing down your hard-earned money doesn't mean you own the band. You're right. But a decent effort and a basic level of respect for the people that provide for the comfortable living you now enjoy would be nice. I don't wanna hear any shit about them being artists and not being in it for the money, either. They are artists - who drive Lamborghinis and own vineyards.

You're right, maybe the boys shouldn't play America... so often. They're obviously worn down, Maynard's voice is for shit - it's all become very paint by numbers. Christ, Maynard even says the same unwitty shit at every show - "internet porn", etc. Very enlightening, indeed. Perhaps it's time to stick to winemaking - the energy is just not there anymore.

I had every intention of picking up tix for the Montreal show, but certainly not after reading the reviews for this leg of the tour. I'll stick to my CDs and my concert memories. They won't get my cash this time.

Peace... the fuck... out.

paraflux
05-21-2007, 05:44 AM
Dude, what a dick topic - posted by a moderator/administrator? With a "sticky"? WTF?
lol @ dick topic.

I don't mean to sound like a flag-waving, Bill O'Reilly neocon, but... what's with the American fan hating bullshit? Very classy to lump us all together as you have! I see... if someone doesn't slurp Maynard and company for putting on a half-hearted 8 song set for $60+, they're close-minded, unworthy meatheads? That's pretty much it, right?
Well, you do sound like a flag-waving, Bill O'Reilly neocon, so... maybe you should try harder not to next time.

If a group of people gets blamed for something, they all are responsible. Collective means you share everything from positive experiences to responsibility. Nowhere did I even mention that anyone needed to "slurp Maynard" or anything close to it. If you got offended at this topic, its probably because you needed to be. If you see it as half-hearted bullshit, then just stop supporting them for fuck's sake. Let someone else have the experience.

So no, that's not "pretty much it." You can try again though, without the high horse.

Throwing down your hard-earned money doesn't mean you own the band. You're right. But a decent effort and a basic level of respect for the people that provide for the comfortable living you now enjoy would be nice. I don't wanna hear any shit about them being artists and not being in it for the money, either. They are artists - who drive Lamborghinis and own vineyards.
I'd like a picture of one of their Lamborghini's please. Also, if I had money to start a business venture, say, a vineyard, because I love wine, and think I can make a good wine that others would enjoy, I should just not do so because.... of what? I love it when people think that musicians should just stay broke their entire lives. If you dont like what they give you then... stop supporting them, and you have solved your problem, not theirs. If I support a politician who turns sour to me, who stops standing up for my views, etc., I pull the plug and look for someone else.

You're right, maybe the boys shouldn't play America... so often. They're obviously worn down, Maynard's voice is for shit - it's all become very paint by numbers. Christ, Maynard even says the same unwitty shit at every show - "internet porn", etc. Very enlightening, indeed. Perhaps it's time to stick to winemaking - the energy is just not there anymore.
Yes, because we all know that Maynard is Christ and is supposed to give us 15 minute "Sermon on the Stage"s.

I had every intention of picking up tix for the Montreal show, but certainly not after reading the reviews for this leg of the tour. I'll stick to my CDs and my concert memories. They won't get my cash this time.

Good, someone else will get in who has a shot at enjoying the experience.

10,000Daze
05-21-2007, 06:02 AM
Keep slurping, sir.

You're right, though. Musicians have every right to enjoy the fruits of their labors. That said, their labors aren't particularly laborious (same goes for athletes, actors, etc). I just think a basic (just basic) level of respect for their fan base would be appreciated. If Maynard would like to run a vineyard, great, I sincerely hope that makes him happy. If Danny wants to drive a Lambo, great, ditto for him. Perhaps I'm naive (waiting for the snide remark), but I just hope that when they take the stage, for half a second, they feel that they should give it their all for the kids/adults that throw down their hard earned money to see a performance.

You're also right on with your sermon comment. I don't need that. What I would like is to feel that I'm not getting prefab entertainment. You must agree that it's a bit lame to hear the same thing at every show. It may have been easier to get away with something like that 20 years ago, but not now, in the information age.

I don't wanna hear the crowd sing the last line of "Vicarious" - if he had the voice, that would not be happening. I guarantee it.

Your politician comment is right on - perhaps it is time for a change.

paraflux
05-21-2007, 06:09 AM
Then change your allegiance. That's all this is about.

I think it's quite telling that you would consider this me slurping anything. If you would read it without your preconceived ideas you would find that it's all pretty matter of fact. And if you dont follow the band around, from city to city, y ou wouldnt hear the same things being said, I mean, really, who complains about Cirque de Soleil or whatever's ringmaster (if they have one of those) saying the same things from city to city?

junkie
05-21-2007, 07:05 AM
Hmm, well i'm from the UK and although i fully appreciate the band's music and their decisions regarding set-lists and the like, at the end of the day i'm paying for my ticket with 35 quid of cash hard-earnt in the real world. I don't expect the band to take the piss out of me for busting a gut to see them. Sure a little banter is fine, but there is a line. By taking the piss i mean little things like coming on way past the ETA with no apology (Hammersmith Apollo last year), and charging ridiculous prices for merch that a lot of people buy to remember the show. Without loyal fans such as us who turn the other cheek to issues like this, Tool wouldn't be as rich and successful as they are today. I know a lot of people say they don't owe us anything, well they do. As much as the tongue-in-cheek mystique that makes the band so interesting is an integral part of their image, sometimes i think they get lost up their own assess and forget about the little people.

Edit: 10,000Daze speaks a lot of truth. It's just a simple and very obvious lack of respect on the band's part.

insaner
05-21-2007, 07:20 AM
You hit that nail on the head. It is rediculous for a band to come to the same area almost 4 times in a two year span and hear the same setlist each time. Any band, tool or not. And the fact that tickets are so expensive and hard to come by makes it that much worse.

HAHAHAHAHA.

hey i got a solution for ya. move to the balkans, then you wont have to worry about tool coming to your area 4 times every two years.

paraflux
05-21-2007, 07:32 AM
:)

I know, right? The problems some people have are so excruciating it makes my balls hurt just thinking about the pain of having Tool come to my area 4 times.

ProfoundHaytred
05-21-2007, 08:01 AM
I love the topic, I really do. I just dont agree. Not all fans are hating on the setlist, but some are. The only thing I dont like about the setlist is that is not chaning a bit. That is not Tool's style whatsoever.

Cheesegreater
05-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Man, some people piss me off with their reviews. I may get to see Tool a total of three times when this tour is all over, and I greatly appreciate every show. Some of these people just spoil themselves on Tool. I mean, I know Tool doesn't mind the money, but to me they aren't the kind of band for seeing all the fucking time. Part of the mystery and beauty of Tool is the fact that you don't get to see them very often. At least that's true in my neck of the woods. Repeat customers are cool, but I think it's much more cool to get people in on their first Tool experience. I got to do that with four people when I went to the Southaven show. We all had the time of our lives, and they were all in their element. I knew the times I couldn't hear the vocals quite clearly had a lot to do with where I was standing, stage left next to Justin and Danny. But what a place to be! And so close!
All I know is my friends came out saying all the classic things people say when they leave a Tool concert for their first time "Oh my fucking GOD!" or "That was like a religious experience." or "That show was so fucking epic." "I think Danny is an alien." It was incredible.
It pains me to read these reviews by these snobs. I mean they'll say they've definitely lost their edge. Then a person who also has been to over 10 shows will say "Best show I've ever seen from the guys." Sometimes a guy that gave them a bad review will turn around and say "Well, it really was an awesome show, I just would have liked to see (insert here) that would have made it a lot better." They sound like fair-weather friends to Tool.
Like I said, it's better to get new people in on the experience. They're not so spoiled, and they have the time of their life. I mean it's priceless when a friend of yours "kinda" likes Tool but after seeing Rosetta Stoned live he turns to you and says "Holy fucking shit!" and after the show says "Well, if I wasn't a Tool fan before the show, I sure as hell am now." People need to quit being snobs about the shows. I mean I think the reason they're not changing the setlist too much is simply because they want people from all over to be a part of the same experience. I respect that, and I think it's silly for people to keep going to all these shows expecting a setlist change. I think they'll probably only do one little change up before the tour is over. Just one more thing to send it right over the top. They're the masters of their craft, and people should recognise that.

I don't know how you feel about all this, but I needed to get that off my chest. I don't know if you are equally as irritated when you see bullshit reviews like that.

-Peace

brickhouse
05-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Some of you need to change your Tampons! --Who are we to be critics --go see the fucking band live whether its 1 or 100 shows and quit taking time out of your day to create such a fucking soap opera out of it! ---

drumdude1387
05-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Some of you need to change your Tampons! --Who are we to be critics --go see the fucking band live whether its 1 or 100 shows and quit taking time out of your day to create such a fucking soap opera out of it! ---

agreed dude thats it right there and this is just fucken stupid sorry it is

Cheesegreater
05-21-2007, 08:45 AM
I just posted this on Paraflux's recommendation. Let me say that if I were Tool I'd hate to play to you hypercritical assholes. I think some of the reason European shows are "better" is because they don't know the language so well. They just know the language of music pretty damn well.

I think a lot of it has to do with the frequency of shows you go to. I mean where I'm from most people only get to see Tool like once, maybe twice if they're lucky. People, I'm sure they've been making tiny mistakes since their fucking conception. This is true with any band. I mean, if I wanted to be a douchbag I could say at the last show I went to there was this slight change to Right in Two by Danny. Thing is, I loved what he did and sure as hell didn't mind the change. It was very minute anyway. How creepy has it got to feel like when you know there's these people watching and judging you're every little gesture and expression like a scientist? It's gotta be pretty soul sucking. Want a good show? Get the fuck into it. Justin waved and smiled at us for a good while after the show, even though we were on the side, just because we were so fucking into it. That's what Tool needs for a great show, the energy from the crowd. Believe me, they can see it. If you're there with your arms crossed, eye brows hunkered, and judging, it kinda throws a monkey-wrench into the show. If you are cheering and dancing feeding them all this positive energy they will do nothing but return the favor.

I wouldn't want them to stop playing here though. I will say that. I mean, yes, there are a lot of people on TDN that are total snobs about Tool and really don't give them the appreciation they deserve. But here's the thing. When you go to the Tool shows, how many people do you honestly think are TDNers? Not many really. I mean there's always some, but it's not like we're a big majority. The reason I say this is because TDN is a double-edged sword. It can provide a lot of insight into Tool. By the same token, some people let it cheapen their experience. I HATE to say that, but I find it to be true. Some of the only people I know to have a "rotten" time at a Tool concert are TDNers. Every time I go, I guess I'm lucky, everybody loves Tool and are so grateful they are about to finally see them. I always have a great time. Frankly, I don't care which tour you went to that was better. I would have like to see the Lateralus tour, but I honestly don't feel that I missed out on too much because I still got to see my favorite band. I still walk away completely inspired, almost in tears. Now I know how people can need a break from this site. They let it ruin things for them. Some don't obviously, but it's still plain to see others do.

I hope Tool can take comfort that when my friends and I go we have the time of our life. Also, I find this to be the case with most people who go to the show. It's likes junior high PE. One person or a few shouldn't make everybody suffer. Yes, there are some dumbshits that go to the shows, but I never let it take away from my experience. I just get into the Zone and rock out, and you know what? It's very contagious.

Cheesegreater
05-21-2007, 09:00 AM
Hmm, well i'm from the UK and although i fully appreciate the band's music and their decisions regarding set-lists and the like, at the end of the day i'm paying for my ticket with 35 quid of cash hard-earnt in the real world. I don't expect the band to take the piss out of me for busting a gut to see them. Sure a little banter is fine, but there is a line. By taking the piss i mean little things like coming on way past the ETA with no apology (Hammersmith Apollo last year), and charging ridiculous prices for merch that a lot of people buy to remember the show. Without loyal fans such as us who turn the other cheek to issues like this, Tool wouldn't be as rich and successful as they are today. I know a lot of people say they don't owe us anything, well they do. As much as the tongue-in-cheek mystique that makes the band so interesting is an integral part of their image, sometimes i think they get lost up their own assess and forget about the little people.

Edit: 10,000Daze speaks a lot of truth. It's just a simple and very obvious lack of respect on the band's part.

This lack of respect and all this is manifested in your own head. I personally don't know their inner-most thoughts. I know I used to be offended that they don't come near my area hardly ever, but now I realise how rediculous that is. Same as being "offended" by their set-list or lack of "Maynardisms." Come to think of it being in Tool can be a bitch of a customer service job. Instead of "Do you have Jamoca Almond Fudge ice cream? ...What?!?!?? You NEVER have Jamoca Almond Fudge! How hard IS your job?!?!? You know people want it, but you never have the shit!!" you get "No Pushit!?!? But you guys NEVER have Pushit?!? This sucks I always have to the get same shit! This isn't fair!" At the end of the day you're never happy you got ice-cream in the first place.

Cheesegreater
05-21-2007, 09:11 AM
I know I'm a bitch to just keep going. But I honestly sometimes wish Tool would lose a little of their fanbase. I know that seems absurd. But I can't stand the fact that there's people who go to so many of their shows, only to complain, when other people are dying to see them only once in their lifetime. Do you spend the money to show everyone that you can afford going to a fuckload of shows? That's great and all, but everytime you have a lackluster experience look the fuck around you at the people really enjoying themselves and think about your 11th or 12th ticket you've wasted this tour. This is a Helluva "fan-site." Damn, if someone were a huge fan of Tool but had never seen a show, some you guys would make them think it's not worth even fucking going. That's a shitty thing, to rob people of their personal experiences.

Maz46&2
05-21-2007, 09:13 AM
I think one thing that everyone is not considering when they bash the band for leaving off songs is the fact that Danny tore his bicep a few months ago. That apparently is old news so I guess it's been forgotten and buried. 90% of the time before Danny had his injury they would play an entire set and not leave out songs unless Maynard was sick. Check the reviews going all the back to '95 on this sites' review section. I don't care what the band, Blair, or Tool's secret serial killer say, Danny is not completely healed yet. A torn bicep takes a LONG time to COMPLETELY heal. Think about it. In Baton Rouge they played a 10 minute Lost Keys intro to Rosetta Stoned. Why would they do that? Lost Keys has no drumming so I'm sure they extended it to give Danny a break. Then during Lateralus they have the 4 minute drum solo, then they mysteriously leave out Vicarious and Ænema. Come on people, give them a break. They could have postponed the tour for six months or more, or cancelled it due to Danny's injury but instead they only waited a month or so and got on with it. Just think about that when you complain about songs being left out.

jwb
05-21-2007, 09:28 AM
"Do you have Jamoca Almond Fudge ice cream? ...What?!?!?? You NEVER have Jamoca Almond Fudge! How hard IS your job?!?!? You know people want it, but you never have the shit!!" you get "No Pushit!?!? But you guys NEVER have Pushit?!? This sucks I always have to the get same shit! This isn't fair!" At the end of the day you're never happy you got ice-cream in the first place.

That's good. And I hate to admit it, but that's about how I felt after hitting 5 shows in the past year.

"No Jamoca Almond Fudge!!! But I drove ALL the way across town to this store just for some Jamoca Almond Fudge!!!"
"Who said we had Jamoca Almond Fudge here?"
"Ahh. Well. Hum. No one, I guess. I just thought the other stores would have something different."
"Sorry buddy, same shit, different store. Now do you want something or not?"
"Yeah, fuck it. Your vanilla is still better than everyone elses'"

TOOLEYE
05-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Obviously, all of the cryfucks out there have access to all concert reviews posted on this site. The first post on every review is the setlist. For all of you cryfucks out there who are holding tix to future shows, the answer is this. You pretty much know what's coming. If you do not like what you see from prior set lists, instead of going to the show and then immediately posting fucking boohoos about your disappointment, SELL your fucking tickets! I'm sure there are plenty of fans out there that were unable to get the tix when they went on sale that would eagerly snatch them up and absolutely love every minute of the show. Understand that TOOL will not be around forever. Appreciate them while you can and take what they give you. Through your eyes, into your brain, and straight to your heart.CRYFUCKS.

Rod
05-21-2007, 10:31 AM

So it's always been, so it will always be. It's a free site in a free country. Kabir came to terms with these knuckleheads a long time ago.

I think it would be pretty funny if at the next show the crowd started chanting "Jambi" at the begining, followed up by chanting "Stinkfist" next, then "46&2" after that, etc.

Take the game to Tool so to speak.

It does sound like DC's not 100%.

I'll still go see them, what else are you going to waste your money on?

Dharma Bear
05-21-2007, 12:15 PM
what else are you going to waste your money on?

My phone and electric bill for the month. lol? :(

But seriously, Tool does what they do, and you can pay for it if you feel like. But to say they should stop playing America because a dozen people out of thousands bitch about it, is total bullshit.

Maynard: I read on a forum that PoodleWarrior93 hated our show in Kansas.

Danny: Really? Well fuck that, im never gonna play there ever again!

ihatetoolfans
05-21-2007, 12:17 PM
I love TOOL, but I hate their fans. I just went to the OK City show, and I must say, the only way I will see TOOL again is if they play my birthday party or something (highly doubt this will happen). Maynard was right, "...drunken assholes" indeed. Drunken, belligerent, mindless, cock-sucking assholes. Not all, but most. The whole time I was at the Ford Center, all I could think was, "Is Metallica playing? Did I get the date wrong?" Then I realized everyone at that show was wearing a TOOL t-shirt, and my stomach turned. Do these people even listen to the lyrics, or just bang their head against a trash can the way they do for any other band with loud guitar and double bass drums? I mean... "Swamp Song"??? "Right In Two"??? Lord help us. If the actions/behaviour of this country's youth are any indication of where we'll be in the future, well... we're all pretty fucked i suppose.

DON IOTAE
05-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Tool has just announced that due to the rise in the number of unappreciative fans they are cancelling all remaining dates on their current U.S. tour and are hiring Paraflux as their new tour manager, bass guitar tech and spiritual leader.

lol

BRING THEM TO COSTA RICA, FLUXY!

Cheesegreater
05-21-2007, 01:44 PM
This is what happens when you get to big of a fan-base. It's good to see that at least some of you don't chastise the Tool so much. I will say that I was one of those guys that bought and wore the Tool shirt I got from the concert. I shouldn't have to defend that. I mean, I know I can get it from hot topic cheaper, but it's the whole sentimental value of getting it at the actual venue. I know the lyrics, and I don't bash my head in to trash cans. Suffice to say this much. Tool fans are judgemental of others. We've all heard of how Tool is an aquired taste like wine. Well, when you get a bunch of connoiseurs together, this is what happens.

wearethestories
05-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Obviously, all of the cryfucks out there have access to all concert reviews posted on this site. The first post on every review is the setlist. For all of you cryfucks out there who are holding tix to future shows, the answer is this. You pretty much know what's coming. If you do not like what you see from prior set lists, instead of going to the show and then immediately posting fucking boohoos about your disappointment, SELL your fucking tickets! I'm sure there are plenty of fans out there that were unable to get the tix when they went on sale that would eagerly snatch them up and absolutely love every minute of the show. Understand that TOOL will not be around forever. Appreciate them while you can and take what they give you. Through your eyes, into your brain, and straight to your heart.CRYFUCKS.

lol at cryfucks.

insaner
05-21-2007, 01:47 PM
heres the deal-

first off, maynard is over 40. you couldnt hit his notes when you were ten, and hadnt smoked half of mexico down your throat. it is obvious that he has learned from the lateralus tour, and has chosen to do sets that enable him to not have to throw the mic down and walk off the stage because doing parabola for the 15th time in 18 days has ruined his voice. if any of you knew professional musicians, you would understand what a 2.5 year tour can do to a body.

secondly, this is the 10k days tour. get over it. im there to see the new shit. i saw the old shit when IT was new. it rocked, sorry you missed it.

the band is as pro as it comes, and really puts an immense amount of effort into these shows. it shows in the way they act, every single fucking night. and believe me, you are getting more value for your money than you could ever imagine. look up what pink floyd charged on their last tours of the late 70s/early 80s.

what you are getting for your money, is your favorite band. a band that is every bit as innovative and fresh after 15 years than any band who ever did it for that long on the rock scene. you are getting a topnotch production, with top notch musicianship every single motherfuckin night. tool at their worst are light years ahead of any band at their level in rock n roll. everybody has an off night.

please, think about what you desire when you go to bitching about what tool owes you or whatever. this is not widespread panic. this is not the dead. improvisation comes at a premium with a band as calculated as tool are. they always add a little bit as they move through a tour. or at least have since lateralus. before that, they really didnt have much material, and they didnt switch it up as much as you might think. i could go on and on, but who gives a fuck really? when you complain, it just makes you sound like an 8th grader. but hey, thats my opinion. its all subjective, right?

wearethestories
05-21-2007, 02:00 PM
I agree with 'Flux and Cheesey...

Stop going to see TOOL if all you're going to do is bitch about it.

I know last September I was stoked to see them, but I was too far away on the floor to see much and the sound was muddled. More importantly, I decided to do what everyone else around me was doing and headbang like crazy. I followed the idiotic lead at our nation's capitol (and you can take THAT where you will) and it got me nowhere. I left deciding that I would never see a live show again because I just didn't have a good time.

Well, I didn't have a good time because I became Douchey McDouchebag (a.k.a. Metallica Fan #1) and didn't experience them the way I wanted to (or usually do when I listen to the albums) --- which is either rocking out with the air-bass or idiotically trying to figure out what Danny is doing and winding up flailing my arms around like an idiot. Sometimes I just sit and marvel at the sound.

I'll do all of that 6/7/2007.

I'm glad I get a re-do for my lame-assed part in the audience.

Not only will I enjoy it, but hopefully I'll show the band the same thing. I'd love to make their day and make up for the ass-monkeys who keep throwing shit onstage.

And I really could care less if Maynard was completely turned around for the whole show. I know a band whose members (ALL of them) play facing the same way as the audience so that their backs are to the audience for the entire show because they never want to become rockstars. For them, it's about the music and what the music means and never about the fans. The fans come and go if the music is good, but the point of live music is to see REAL PEOPLE creating the sound. A TOOL show is not a "rockshow", it's a musical experience.

Last thing:
I think people who have a problem with the setlist actually have a problem with the new album. I'm fairly sure many people think 10000Days was a sub-par (in TOOL-terms) album, so their hopes for hearing/seeing older stuff at a show is simply those individuals hoping TOOL will make it up to them.

GET OVER IT. Take 10000 Days or leave it. Take the tour or leave it. If you don't go, they'll still sell out and maybe those of us who still go won't have to deal with your whining and lack of enthusiasm at the show.

We'd all like to see Disposition/Reflection/Triad or Third Eye... who wouldn't?

Maybe we'll get to and maybe we won't. Even though I know virtually what the setlist will be, it doesn't stop me from downloading those live songs from the web and listening to them all the time.

The point of a live show is that it's LIVE. If you really want to hear what you want to hear, make your own setlist out of the live bootlegs you can find and stick it on your iPod or Zune (lol... ZUNE...) and don't whine to us.

In conclusion: They'll sell out without you, and we might all prefer it.

sonnyboy11
05-21-2007, 02:21 PM
I would think they would want to do different things. But there's a guy here who has helped with the lighting and design since 96, maybe he can help. His username is junior. Maybe they are locked into the set because of predetermined work already done, to program the lights/video with the songs they play. I cant imagine how big of an ordeal that must be. I would get bored, yes, but maybe lack the time, energy, and label funding for such tour support.

That's possible. However it did not seem to be all that big of a hiccup in their normal staging to throw in Swamp Song (second night in Vegas) or Pushit (second night in SD). Well.. 'cept now that I think about it, Pushit appeared to have some new vids specifically made for it. So, again, you might have a point.

Anyway, I am another person who has been going mainly to hear 10,000 Days material. And the more, the better. I love hearing those songs live. If they want to throw in some oldies, that's cool too. Either way I can't get enough of seeing the band live right now.

Ross
05-21-2007, 02:37 PM
heres the deal-

first off, maynard is over 40. you couldnt hit his notes when you were ten, and hadnt smoked half of mexico down your throat. it is obvious that he has learned from the lateralus tour, and has chosen to do sets that enable him to not have to throw the mic down and walk off the stage because doing parabola for the 15th time in 18 days has ruined his voice. if any of you knew professional musicians, you would understand what a 2.5 year tour can do to a body.

secondly, this is the 10k days tour. get over it. im there to see the new shit. i saw the old shit when IT was new. it rocked, sorry you missed it.

the band is as pro as it comes, and really puts an immense amount of effort into these shows. it shows in the way they act, every single fucking night. and believe me, you are getting more value for your money than you could ever imagine. look up what pink floyd charged on their last tours of the late 70s/early 80s.

what you are getting for your money, is your favorite band. a band that is every bit as innovative and fresh after 15 years than any band who ever did it for that long on the rock scene. you are getting a topnotch production, with top notch musicianship every single motherfuckin night. tool at their worst are light years ahead of any band at their level in rock n roll. everybody has an off night.

please, think about what you desire when you go to bitching about what tool owes you or whatever. this is not widespread panic. this is not the dead. improvisation comes at a premium with a band as calculated as tool are. they always add a little bit as they move through a tour. or at least have since lateralus. before that, they really didnt have much material, and they didnt switch it up as much as you might think. i could go on and on, but who gives a fuck really? when you complain, it just makes you sound like an 8th grader. but hey, thats my opinion. its all subjective, right?
\

Very well said.

InsideTheOutside20
05-21-2007, 02:58 PM
I completely agree with cheesegreater. A lot of you need to lighten up a little.

I have yet to see them since they released 10,000 Days, but I have two tickets to see them on this tour... and I have an idea of what I'm going to get... and I'm fine with that. I can't wait. I will be seeing them in Cincinnati on the 23rd of June and in Huntington West Virginia on the 7th of July. Just that fact that they are comming back to Huntington amazes me. First, how many of you have heard of Huntington West Virginia? I'm sure you probably haven't. Its not a very big city... not TOO small... but its not exactly a concert mecca (Tool didn't even sell very many tickets at the small arena in Huntington last time). Second, last time they played in Huntington in 2002, the crowd was horrible. Tomahawk was booed off stage and when Tool came out, Maynard had his back turned to the audience the entire time... not to mention it was one of the shortest setlists on the tour. But they decided to give us a second chance and for that I am greatful. They didn't have to come back. They chose to do so.

I am not going to this tour and expecting to see the old shit that I have seen before. It would be nice but I am happy to see the new shit that I have yet to experience live.

Dharma Bear
05-21-2007, 03:32 PM
America rules. You guys can kiss my ass.

paraflux
05-21-2007, 03:34 PM
OMG HAI AMERIKA IS TEH BEST AND WE WILL PWWWWWWWN YUUUUUUUUUU

Great post.

I am not going to this tour and expecting to see the old shit that I have seen before. It would be nice but I am happy to see the new shit that I have yet to experience live.
I have a feeling you will not be disappointed if the sound is decent.

jwb
05-21-2007, 03:40 PM
I'm not going or anything, but I still hope those fuckers in San An-tone get something special tonight. And before all you apologists start saying TOOL doesn't owe them anything, let me say, I know you are right but it would still be cool to throw in something extra for everyone who got screwed the first two times around, that's all.

paraflux
05-21-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm not going or anything, but I still hope those fuckers in San An-tone get something special tonight. And before all you apologists start saying TOOL doesn't owe them anything, let me say, I know you are right but it would still be cool to throw in something extra for everyone who got screwed the first two times around, that's all.

This is different, and yes, it would be cool. Reverend Maynard, it would be nice if he made an appearance like he has done before.

EGG-MAN
05-21-2007, 03:46 PM
The best thing to do is not to read up on the setlists before you go to shows... To me that takes away from the experience as a whole because you are waiting for the next song ... Be patient and take what they give you... I am sure that after the 2nd SD show, which was killer by the way, people who were going to the Las Cruces show expected to hear Pushit. And im sure because they didnt play that there that people were pissed and felt cheated and came on here and talked shit on how it was the same setlist as always and why didnt they play this song or that song... Experience the show for what it is not for what some other city's show was.

On a side note fuck laser pointers and dumb asses throwing beers and shit on stage...

Naked&Fearless
05-21-2007, 05:06 PM
Havent read all the posts, but i read people "expressing their disappointment" about the same set list. I wish i could have seen the same set list 4 times in the same city (throughout the two year tour). Shoot, i listen to the same songs 50x anyway right? I'ld love to see it live just as often.

However, the South got Fucked on this one.

We will most likely get one shot at 10,000 Days and now that im working I just cant follow the band like I used to :(

Anyway, be greatful you've seen the guys multiple times. The South probably wont get that opportunity.

InsideTheOutside20
05-21-2007, 05:33 PM
Havent read all the posts, but i read people "expressing their disappointment" about the same set list. I wish i could have seen the same set list 4 times in the same city (throughout the two year tour). Shoot, i listen to the same songs 50x anyway right? I'ld love to see it live just as often.

However, the South got Fucked on this one.

We will most likely get one shot at 10,000 Days and now that im working I just cant follow the band like I used to :(

Anyway, be greatful you've seen the guys multiple times. The South probably wont get that opportunity.

Baton Rouge, Birmingham, Pensacola, Tampa, Orlando, Sunrise, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Greenville?
That includes five shows in your state alone. How did the south get fucked?

paraflux
05-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Yeah I was kinda wondering that myself

imatoolhed
05-21-2007, 05:45 PM
i seen them four times on this tour alone... and dug every show

Naked&Fearless
05-21-2007, 06:13 PM
Baton Rouge, Birmingham, Pensacola, Tampa, Orlando, Sunrise, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Greenville?
That includes five shows in your state alone. How did the south get fucked?

I just meant that this is the first time during the 10,000 Days Tour (over a year now) that they're coming anywhere in South. I know, they had multiple stops in the same city throughout the tour though. Oh well, it is what it is.

And btw...I think its worth mentioning that the Atlanta show (live in Atl) sold out 13,000 seats (think 13k) in 12 Minutes (positive it was done in 12). We fucking Rock! They gotta be good fans and hopefully not scalpers.

Cavalier1
05-21-2007, 10:44 PM
I just got out of the San Antonio show. Back at my hotel now. Cant hear, buzzed, amped, the usual feelings after a show. I have been looking to see what others thought of the show tonight. I kinda said everything I wanted to describing a show from my San Diego experience. So I had some thoughts about this thread on my mind tonight. ...Speaking of which, as of now , looks like more bitching about setlists is occuring from various people on the thread.....as if King Crimson wasnt enough for everyone...

Paraflux, I remembered what you were saying here, and was thinking about it during the show. I realized I cant say there are to many bands left from the 90's, my generation, that are still around from the Tool beginnings.. Pearl Jam, Rage, Korn, come to mind, but I cant really remember any others that are still playing (without a "reunite" in ther name) ..... As for now, Tool is creating new memories and new times for me in 2007. I came on board in 1997 to this bandwagon, and today its still the most unique band , perhaps more refined, better, and playing it all for us.

I watched some old shows on Youtube before tonights show, to see some of those old times, (1992 -2002). Perhaps that is where those shows and those "setlists" will remain. Maynard's remark in San Diego about "being a cover band" , right before Push It, may mean exactly that now, in terms of Pre-Aenima material live. But thats fine, because they sure as hell played a great show tonight without those songs.

Khadgar346
05-22-2007, 12:01 AM
This is the worst thread I have ever seen. I can't believe this is not binned.

Sorry paraflux, you need to stop crying about others crying.

ps. I'm an American that was disappointed in the San Antonio show tonight. Read my review if you want to know the full story.

Dharma Bear
05-22-2007, 02:25 AM
ps. I'm an American that was disappointed in the San Antonio show tonight.

Apparently, that makes you unworthy. Theres no bitching about Tool allowed here. Especially if your an American.

mirvae
05-22-2007, 03:35 AM
i wouldn't necessarily say i'm disappointed with their current tour. i saw them in southaven and was certainly not displeased with the performance, though i knew going in basically what the setlist would be, and that kind of took away that "oh i hope i get (whatever song) tonight!" excitement. about the only question was "will we get pushit or right in two?"

so yeah... my only wish would be for a varied setlist. mind you, i say "wish." i'm not going to make any demands of the band. i'll take what i get and be okay with it.

my only actual complaint about this tour is that they announced little rock as a tour stop and then changed the date, and then just decided to cancel it entirely. that sucked.

wearethestories
05-22-2007, 03:49 AM
I wonder if the past few nights, TOOL has been chopping off the "last two songs on the 10,000 Days tour" because of American fans. Everyone is now complaining that they haven't gotten the full set instead of complaining about that set. It seems like a more reasonable idea to do then to just not tour in America.

tim.mcguffin
05-22-2007, 05:44 AM
what i don't understand is how these so-called true fans who have been following tool for so long are surprised by the lack of variance to the setlist. I mean did you wake up yesterday? they have NEVER varied their setlists much. if you're one who has seen them multiple times then you should know this first hand. don't be surprised next time buddy, and if you don't like the prospect of hearing the same songs, dong fucking go. bunch of fucking whiners.<p>Now as for paraflux, could you generalize a little more please? so if we're american we all feel the same way right, and we all act like apes throwing things at the stage too? good fucking grief, i know you're just venting frustrations, but i think you need to focus your anger a little more specifically rather than sounding like an anti-american turd.

jwb
05-22-2007, 05:56 AM
Agreed, they have mixed more songs into the 2006/2007 tour then into the 2001/2002 tour.

I'm not sure about that. They busted out 4 degrees, Flood, Cold & Ugly, Third Eye, Ticks, Jimmy and Pushit at various times throughout the different legs in 2001 / 2002. We haven't seen many surprises in the past year other than Pushit in San Diego.

paraflux
05-22-2007, 06:04 AM
This is the worst thread I have ever seen. I can't believe this is not binned.

Sorry paraflux, you need to stop crying about others crying.

ps. I'm an American that was disappointed in the San Antonio show tonight. Read my review if you want to know the full story.

Your review is not one of the ones I am talking about. Being disappointed is going to happen to people in any walk of life, in anything they do at times. If you re-read my original post, as I encourage all of you to do, you will see that it is directed against those who bitch about it. You didnt bitch, you stated your likes and dislikes, both. I've done the same in the past. Yet me and you still share the responsibility of making up the American crowd. Im sorry you feel this is the worst thread you have seen, really.

paraflux
05-22-2007, 06:07 AM
Apparently, that makes you unworthy. Theres no bitching about Tool allowed here. Especially if your an American.

Your attitude is shit.

I have deleted no negative show reviews or done anything that you havent yourself done. You want to make simple moronic posts about how everyone can kiss your ass because you're an American? Then you get an equally as stupid response. All these allegations of crying and me suppressing people bitching about Tool in any way, have yet to be backed up in any real fashion. Im not here to suppress your precious anger. I'm just here to tell you you're really just full of shit and that it has been spooned up your precious American ass for too long. Myself included at times, since I'm an American myself.

By the way, dharma, stop your crying. (http://toolnavy.com/showpost.php?p=1782949&postcount=14) Because if that's what Im doing here, by simply pointing out idiocy when I see it, that's what you're doing there.

paraflux
05-22-2007, 06:10 AM
what i don't understand is how these so-called true fans who have been following tool for so long are surprised by the lack of variance to the setlist. I mean did you wake up yesterday? they have NEVER varied their setlists much. if you're one who has seen them multiple times then you should know this first hand. don't be surprised next time buddy, and if you don't like the prospect of hearing the same songs, dong fucking go. bunch of fucking whiners.<p>Now as for paraflux, could you generalize a little more please? so if we're american we all feel the same way right, and we all act like apes throwing things at the stage too? good fucking grief, i know you're just venting frustrations, but i think you need to focus your anger a little more specifically rather than sounding like an anti-american turd.

For the last fucking time, it isnt anger, it's revulsion and disgust. And if you really look at my first post, you will find no crying, no whining, simply me pointing things out and saying I wouldnt be surprised if they stopped playing here, maybe that's even what we deserve. What, I'm not partially responsible? I do my thing but I'm still part of this group. And I would take the hit just like anyone else in the country would, it isnt like they can screen certain people out of the venue.

Collective means that we are collectively responsible. Sorry, but I share the responsibility of being part of a crowd that throws shit onstage or beams a laser at the band. I do. And so do you.

paraflux
05-22-2007, 06:20 AM
Uh, the fact that I dont know is what keeps me from bitching about anything.

Fans spend their money, yes. THey get what they get, and they can either like it or not. Their choice. There is, however, a difference between being disappointed and TYPING IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE I AM SO GODDAMNED MAD THAT THEY ARENT CATERING TO MY NEEDS. That's what Im talking about. There's nothing wrong with wanting to hear Pushit. Or AEnema. But to whine and moan and get all worked up over it is simply ridiculous.

Did anyone read this post?

Sounds sooooooo much like crying, I know.

If crying = noticing a trend and pointing it out, then goddammit, I'm guilty of crying. But then again, anytime you insult someone or call them a bitch for any reason, you'd be crying about it too by definition. You guys need to get your concepts straight.

katelyn
05-22-2007, 06:49 AM
I can't stand the fact that there's people who go to so many of their shows, only to complain, when other people are dying to see them only once in their lifetime. Do you spend the money to show everyone that you can afford going to a fuckload of shows? That's great and all, but everytime you have a lackluster experience look the fuck around you at the people really enjoying themselves and think about your 11th or 12th ticket you've wasted this tour. This is a Helluva "fan-site." Damn, if someone were a huge fan of Tool but had never seen a show, some you guys would make them think it's not worth even fucking going. That's a shitty thing, to rob people of their personal experiences.

I meant to post in here yesterday, I’ve been following the reviews section because I’m going to see them next week and well, because I feel like it. The above poster basically says how I feel. I have been a huge tool fan since my freshman year of high school (I’m 25 now) and every time they came around my way, I was never able to go see them due to money, school, family issues, whatever, I would have KILLED to be able to see them back in the day, but it just wasn’t possible.

Oh well, I finally got to my first show back in Sept and it FUCKING RAWKED!!! I ended up driving to another state just because I wanted to see them so badly and I could actually afford to go now that I’m older and have the whole established job thing. When I heard they were coming back around this summer to my city Orlando, HELL YES I bought tickets, even though I knew it was going to be pretty much the same show I drove to see last time, so fucking what?!? ITS TOOL!!! Maybe its just me, but I would think you would get a different experience each time you see them play – hell I would see the exact same show I saw last time and be a happy girl! Would I love to hear something from Undertow or Opiate? Fuck yes, but in reality, when a band tours to promote their new cd, they are playing the songs from their new cd on the tour and a few fan favorites. You all that have been bitching about the shows should be happy that you are able to afford to go and thank your lucky stars that you live in an area they decided to stop through. I understand that YOU might feel let down in your expectations of what you thought Tool should perform just for you, but c’mon, don’t say the show fucking sucked, because I’m sure there are a lot of others that would have taken your place in a minute and said that it was worth it.

paraflux
05-22-2007, 06:53 AM
Thanks for seeing that light, kate. Your attitude has always been refreshing to me.

readyfuels
05-22-2007, 07:22 AM
I meant to post in here yesterday, I’ve been following the reviews section because I’m going to see them next week and well, because I feel like it. The above poster basically says how I feel. I have been a huge tool fan since my freshman year of high school (I’m 25 now) and every time they came around my way, I was never able to go see them due to money, school, family issues, whatever, I would have KILLED to be able to see them back in the day, but it just wasn’t possible.

Oh well, I finally got to my first show back in Sept and it FUCKING RAWKED!!! I ended up driving to another state just because I wanted to see them so badly and I could actually afford to go now that I’m older and have the whole established job thing. When I heard they were coming back around this summer to my city Orlando, HELL YES I bought tickets, even though I knew it was going to be pretty much the same show I drove to see last time, so fucking what?!? ITS TOOL!!! Maybe its just me, but I would think you would get a different experience each time you see them play – hell I would see the exact same show I saw last time and be a happy girl! Would I love to hear something from Undertow or Opiate? Fuck yes, but in reality, when a band tours to promote their new cd, they are playing the songs from their new cd on the tour and a few fan favorites. You all that have been bitching about the shows should be happy that you are able to afford to go and thank your lucky stars that you live in an area they decided to stop through. I understand that YOU might feel let down in your expectations of what you thought Tool should perform just for you, but c’mon, don’t say the show fucking sucked, because I’m sure there are a lot of others that would have taken your place in a minute and said that it was worth it.
Very well said, you've articulated exactly how I felt the first time I got to see them in November, after years of not being able to because I was only young or on their previous jaunt to the UK I just couldn't afford it. I'd happily experience that show over and over and over.

There are still so many places with Tool fans who have never had the chance. When they came over last tour I heard of people who travelled from South America and and my friend who did security at the venue encountered people who'd slept on the street for 3 nights perfectly willingly just to see the show. People are so quick to focus on the negative that they don't stop and appreciate how truly lucky they are to have the chance to see this band.

Matthew77
05-22-2007, 07:25 AM

I totally agree with you! Tool puts out an album every 5 years and tours for about 2 years after that album is released so that is 3 years of down time when we don't get anything from Tool, so I appreciate every time I get to see them. I have been fortunate enough to see them live 11 times starting from the first Aenima tour and every show was awseome. Like you said, IT'S TOOL, the greatest band ever! I can't wait for them to come to the great NW and when they do, I will at least, see them in Seattle and Portland and love every minute of it even if both shows have the same setlist!

And now people are bitching about no Aenima and no Vicarious. Did you ever think that Danny might possibly need to rest his arm? He just had a serious injury to it and came back to perform after a month, quit being so selfish!

facelessDrone
05-22-2007, 08:14 AM
I certainly wish I had the luxury of complaining that Tool comes to my area with a played-out setlist too often. I drove 6 hours last May, 4 hours last September, and I'm pretty excited that I only have to drive 2 hours next month on the 7th. If the trend keeps up, maybe they'll come to VA Beach before they're done with this tour and I'll only have to drive 15 minutes =D

I agree with the thread, although I do remember seeing a lot of whining in the review threads for the Euro shows as well. It's one thing to be disappointed that your favorite song didn't get played; it's entirely another to be spouting off about how much Tool sucks because they, as flux said, didn't cater to your specific needs. I really, really want to hear Pushit on June 7th, although it's looking like that might not happen. And yeah, if it doesn't happen, I'll probably think "damn, I was hoping for Pushit" at some point after the whole show is over. But I sure as hell won't let the absence of a song or two destroy the whole experience that the band put together for me and everyone else in the arena.

Tool can't please everyone. People will piss and whine if the setlist stays the same. Others will piss and whine if it changes. So they play what they want to play. You should be used to it by now; when have they ever been any different? They write and play their music because it's what want to do, and if they did it for any other reason, it simply wouldn't be the same.

Tool doesn't owe any of us anything, it's our choice to be fans or not. Don't like Vicarious and Aenema being cut? Did you consider that maybe Danny's putting too much stress on his arm, and can't play as hard as he does for that long without risking more serious injury? He's not just icing it for the hell of it. Personally, I think Lateralus is a perfect place to end the show anyway.

Don't like the setlist? The visuals are a lot more intense on this tour than in previous ones, which obviously makes changes more difficult. Would you rather hear a mixed-up setlist and skip the visuals? Yeah, I probably would too, but that's not the presentation that Tool's put together. If the current presentation is so distasteful to you that you whine about how awful the concert was, then maybe you're better off saving your money and reminiscing about times past.

The bottom line to me is, the band puts on an amazing show, and until their musicianship declines to the point of being unenjoyable, I will see their concerts - even if they don't change much.

the_shrike29
05-22-2007, 08:51 AM
Agreed, they have mixed more songs into the 2006/2007 tour then into the 2001/2002 tour.

But the Ænema & Vicarious dropping is odd.

Finally, somebody with a perspective of history!

You are right on about the different tours. Sure, there were different "phases" to the 01-02 tours, but in those phases the set lists were really the same. Go check the reviews and you will see that.

Me, personally, I don't care if the setlist is the same when I see the boys in Peoria and then a week later in St. Paul. I am there to see Tool. I am there to commune with the music and crowd and be moved. For me, its a different experience each time, regardless of setlists, due to who I'm with, the vibe of the crowd, what angle I see the boys from, etc...

It's Tool live, boys and girls, playing what represents the band at the moment. Enjoy it. Who knows what the future holds, or doesn't hold.

GoLoBuLouS
05-22-2007, 09:37 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but tOOl definitely owes ME something...

The chance to thank them for all that great music that has enhanced my life throughout the years!

=J

Thanks tOOl!

Cheesegreater
05-22-2007, 10:11 AM
This thread goes back and forth. Sometimes I feel I haven't lost faith in American Tool fans, then more bitching ensues. I call out the "internet" and "tdn," but you know what? I think this site has the potential to just ruin it for people that let it. I mean, they look at the reviews every night and see the same setlists each time. They're setting themselves up every time. I mean, think if there were no internet. I really don't think there would be as much complaining. This is the instant gratification generation. They treat Tool like they're at a fast-food restaurant, "I'll take this, and that... and some Pushit"
Pathetic

paraflux
05-22-2007, 10:43 AM
We are a fast-food society. Realizing that doesnt make it any less disgusting, though. And ONCE AGAIN I am speaking about those who bash the band for their choices, not those who are simply a little disappointed.

hobbitcore
05-22-2007, 10:46 AM
I agree.

Whats wrong with saying, "I wish we got a different setlist"? That dosn't sound like bitching anymore then just disapointment.

Here in America, we have the freedom to pay $65 for something, then be disapointed. I guess im just a big fan of democracy. :/

The same way you have the right to express your disappointment on this board, Paraflux has the right to express his anger/irritation/frustration with said posts. Two-way street my friend.

insaner
05-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Know what I think? I think Paraflux is just as disappointed as other Americans that Tool's set list hasn't changed in almost two years, but he's trying to suppress it and folks in this forum aren't cooperating. I'm certain that, like others, he thought the set list on the warm-up tour would change somewhat when the full tour got under way. But it hasn't. Juxtapose Tool's live approach to that of Led Zeppelin, who never played the same show twice, and you have a case for lack of variety in a set, it would appear.

know what i think? you dont know a fuckin thing about a fuckin thing.

youre completely talking shit out of your ass, sorry but thats the fact. im the biggest led zeppelin fan on earth, and they played the same set every fucking night. end of story. they improvised a tad bit more than tool, but they basically did the same set every night with an occasional different song thrown in, much the same as tool does it now. the setlist would occasionaly evolve throughout the duration of a tour, sound familiar?l you people really need to get a grip. again, this isnt panic or the dead.

http://ledzeppelin.alexreisner.com/setlists.html

paraflux
05-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Even if the Zep thing was true, I missed the part when Tool told us that they were trying to be like everyone else.

insaner
05-22-2007, 10:54 AM
oh, and the next time youre at a show wondering why they "left off" vicarious and Ænema have a look down at your watch. i bet a million dollars it will be somewhere very near 11 pm. bands that play these huge arenas are most often facing a large fine if they go past curfew, which is normally (you guessed it!) 11 pm. the fines can be anywhere from 10k to upwards of 50k for going over.

and another thing, i find it hilariously ironic that most of the people bitching about losing those last two songs are also the ones complaining about the sets being the same. so lemme get this straight, youre pissed they play the same set every night, but when they leave off two songs you already know are coming, you bitch?

get over it.

insaner
05-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Even if the Zep thing was true, I miss the part when Tool told us that they were trying to be like everyone else.

you didnt get the memo? damn man, youre outta the loop.

Shax
05-22-2007, 10:55 AM
oh, and the nest time your at a show wondering why they "left off" vicarious and Ænema have a look down at your watch. i bet a million dollars it will be somewhere very near 11 pm. bands that play these huge arenas are most often facing a large fine if they go past curfew, which is normally (you guessed it!) 11 pm. the fines can be anywhere from 10k to upwards of 50k for going over.

and another thing, i find it hilariously ironic that most of the people bitching about losing those last two songs are also the ones complaining about the sets being the same. so lemme get this straight, youre pissed they play the same set every night, but when they leave off two songs you already know are coming, you bitch?

get over it.

:: claps ::

facelessDrone
05-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Personally, I'd be tight in the pants if I had the opportunity to hear a live ~15 minute version of Lateralus with the guys from King Crimson at the expense of a couple of singles.

WAAAAAAHHHH WE GOT CANCELLED ON TWICE, WHERE'S OUR SPECIAL PRIZE? There it was. Did you miss it?

JDParker7
05-22-2007, 11:35 AM
I just wish they would come back to Oz more often.
They can play [insert any song] over and over again for an hour straight.

I'd pay to see it.

They play what they play...
and (as previously stated) it's Tool, and it's fucking great.
Quit the bitchin.

insaner
05-22-2007, 11:47 AM
next thing they will want is Ænima tour shirts at the merch booth.

facelessDrone
05-22-2007, 11:51 AM
$15 Ænima tour shirts, that is.

the_shrike29
05-22-2007, 11:59 AM
next thing they will want is Ænima tour shirts at the merch booth.

lol

Maz46&2
05-22-2007, 01:11 PM
And now people are bitching about no Aenima and no Vicarious. Did you ever think that Danny might possibly need to rest his arm? He just had a serious injury to it and came back to perform after a month, quit being so selfish!

Ahh, thank you, I'm glad someone else sees that and understands too.

Maz46&2
05-22-2007, 01:28 PM
This thread goes back and forth. Sometimes I feel I haven't lost faith in American Tool fans, then more bitching ensues. I call out the "internet" and "tdn," but you know what? I think this site has the potential to just ruin it for people that let it. I mean, they look at the reviews every night and see the same setlists each time. They're setting themselves up every time. I mean, think if there were no internet. I really don't think there would be as much complaining. This is the instant gratification generation. They treat Tool like they're at a fast-food restaurant, "I'll take this, and that... and some Pushit"
Pathetic

Right on. If you haven't BEEN to the show but keep following the sets from the reviews after every show you're just seeing words, you're not experiencing the show. Of course variety is good but it's not like when you go to these shows you just sit down and have the album played to you. You get an ENTIRE show, songs with new intros, new bridges, etc. not to mention the visuals. If you wanna say that the band is not appreciating its fans then get back at them by not buying tickets and not buying their albums. If you want to know what the band has to say about this listen to Hooker With A Penis, they make no bones about it.

Cavalier1
05-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Personally, I'd be tight in the pants if I had the opportunity to hear a live ~15 minute version of Lateralus with the guys from King Crimson at the expense of a couple of singles.

WAAAAAAHHHH WE GOT CANCELLED ON TWICE, WHERE'S OUR SPECIAL PRIZE? There it was. Did you miss it?

....Thanks for pointing that one out Faceless Drone. (Plus extended versions of Stinkfist and Schism last night)... But King Crimson...Perhaps Tool's biggest influence, and a great band themselves. I learned what that influence was about at Red Rocks during the Lateralus tour. I was anticipating in the audience last night when I might see them, and the Lateralus set was subtle and rather unannounced, but incredible. That was a gift. As Paraflux indicated, "Reverand Maynard", gave us something tonight.

As for the bitching about dropping Vicarious or Aenima....As fans, I think we all agreed to be on a "long journey" with Tool. I understand their 10-15 minute are not a test in patience, rather the most unique music out there. Constant and odd time signature changes, chord structures, rhythym changes, key changes, are featured in most songs they do. An orchestral symphony is rather long and takes time to develop. Same for Tool. They may get two hours only in a concert, but the songs in between those hours, are well thought out, and some of the best musicianship in rock music.

cjbarker02
05-22-2007, 08:23 PM
alrighty then, picture this if you will... year 2011, new tool tour, show just let out, and everyone's bitching because they didn't play rosetta... haha

Cheesegreater
05-22-2007, 08:40 PM
It'll happen, sadly. At least after reading the latest posts I feel like there are still some true Tool fans out there. The kind that aren't waiting to stab a knife in their back when they don't get what they want. I can now certainly see why a song like Hooker w. a Penis was written.

Hannibal
05-22-2007, 10:20 PM
I've seen Tool a total of four times. I caught them in Wichita in 2002, and I loved that show. I've seen them three times in the last 9 months, KC, Wichita again, and OKC.

I wasn't disappointed with KC - we got the Pot, Jambi, Stinkfist, Wings for Marie & 10,000 Days, and Lateralus, plus lasers. I was completely pleased with both of those shows.

I was disappointed in the recent Wichita show, mainly because the sound was awful, and the crowd was terrible too. Right in Two was amazing, and while I wanted nothing more than to hear Pushit (after the excitement from seeing it on the San Diego setlist) my favorite Tool song, I walked away mostly pleased with the evening, despite morons in the crowd.

Fast forward a week to OKC. While the people were ugly in OKC, I found the show (despite being two songs shorter than Wichita, and lacking diversity, no Pushit, and well ugly people too) to be the best one I've ever seen because of the flow and Maynard talking to us, him having a good time on stage, and realizing that this was the last time I was going to see Tool for a very long time.

The band doesn't owe me anything. I'm well aware of that. I wanted Pushit. I wanted the Patient. To me, they could easily manuever different songs in there and still keep the 10,000 Days songs. But that's me. Tool's my favorite band, I want the best show, and 3/4 shows have been top notch and highlights of my life because they were amazing.

What made Wichita redeeming to me was that I took a Tool fan of 10 years to the show, who had NEVER gotten to see the band live. And he didn't bitch for one second about the set list. He said to me "All I want is Aenema" and he got it. That was the only expectation he had. I'll admit, I was disappointed in no Pushit, I really wanted to hear that song, because its unclear as to when the boys will be back on tour, and I leave for Eastern Europe for two years in the fall. But I sometimes forget the moment. When I stood there, listening to Jambi in OKC (my favorite song from the new CD) I changed my opinion about the tour. I didn't care if I got Pushit. Yeah, I called every song in order, but when Wings came on and I looked around, and saw the lighters, I saw the lasers, and I saw my best friend standing next to me having a kick ass time too....the set list doesn't matter anymore. I'm not concerned that I've spent a lot of money on concerts, CDs, posters, and shirts of the band. The moneys gone, I'm not getting it back, and if Tool were to announce a show in Wichita (for some strange reason) tomorrow, I'd go and buy a ticket. For the exact same set list.

I'm happy with the tour, for the most part. I'm glad I got to see them as many times as I got to. My mom said that I was lucky, because nowadays the bands she would have loved to have seen back in the day, aren't together anymore. So I can't complain too much about the concerts. I'm pleased with what I got. Seeing four of my five all time favorite songs (Stinkfist, Jambi, Lateralus, The Patient, only missing Pushit) is pretty damn good. I'm kind of lost on how i should wrap this post up, b/c I could go on I guess, and really have no direction. I'm slightly tired, so I think I'll end it with a quote.

"...." - Helen Keller.

Maz46&2
05-23-2007, 11:58 AM
This has kind of been pissing me off lately as well. I was reading another post somewhere on this site where a person was complaining about paying something like $70
a ticket and expected the band to play something "different" and/or "special" because of the expense of the ticket. I was thinking about this today at the gas station. I was thinking "fuck, gas is $3.55 a gallon". Then I went to Burger King and got a Tendercrisp sandwich and paid like $7 for the meal and was like, "this sandwich tastes like shit and I paid $7 for this meal?" Then I started thinking about how expensive my Tool tickets for Peoria and Chicago were, and I thought to myself, "I need gas to drive, I need food to survive but I don't NEED to see Tool. I WANT to see Tool." Now, these asshole-retards that complain about Tool ticket prices are really fucking stupid. The cost of just about all of life's necessities are pretty high and generally are going to keep rising, that's life, that's how it is. You HAVE to pay for those things in order to survive but Tool tickets? You fucking idiots that complain about how expensive they are should not have bought them. It's ridiculous, you shell out $70 a ticket for the concert (plus the cost of driving, parking, beer, pot, etc.) and then bitch about how they didn't play Third Eye and how you paid so much for your precious fucking ticket. GET OVER IT. Tool is not going to cater to each individual fan. If you've been on these forums and see the same setlists and it pisses you off don't waste your money on a ticket (and "waste" would be from your perspective, not mine). This band plays the same material but I think that almost every song has something different added to it than the album version so you're not going to the concert and just seeing four guys playing the album version to you verbatim. Every concert IS special and if you've been to like 8 or 10 concerts on this tour and you are dissatisfied maybe you should think to yourself, "I'm fucking stupid because maybe after like four concerts of the same material I shouldn't have gone to the other four or six."

DON IOTAE
05-23-2007, 12:23 PM
This has kind of been pissing me off lately as well. I was reading another post somewhere on this site where a person was complaining about paying something like $70
a ticket and expected the band to play something "different" and/or "special" because of the expense of the ticket. I was thinking about this today at the gas station. I was thinking "fuck, gas is $3.55 a gallon". Then I went to Burger King and got a Tendercrisp sandwich and paid like $7 for the meal and was like, "this sandwich tastes like shit and I paid $7 for this meal?" Then I started thinking about how expensive my Tool tickets for Peoria and Chicago were, and I thought to myself, "I need gas to drive, I need food to survive but I don't NEED to see Tool. I WANT to see Tool." Now, these asshole-retards that complain about Tool ticket prices are really fucking stupid. The cost of just about all of life's necessities are pretty high and generally are going to keep rising, that's life, that's how it is. You HAVE to pay for those things in order to survive but Tool tickets? You fucking idiots that complain about how expensive they are should not have bought them. It's ridiculous, you shell out $70 a ticket for the concert (plus the cost of driving, parking, beer, pot, etc.) and then bitch about how they didn't play Third Eye and how you paid so much for your precious fucking ticket. GET OVER IT. Tool is not going to cater to each individual fan. If you've been on these forums and see the same setlists and it pisses you off don't waste your money on a ticket (and "waste" would be from your perspective, not mine). This band plays the same material but I think that almost every song has something different added to it than the album version so you're not going to the concert and just seeing four guys playing the album version to you verbatim. Every concert IS special and if you've been to like 8 or 10 concerts on this tour and you are dissatisfied maybe you should think to yourself, "I'm fucking stupid because maybe after like four concerts of the same material I shouldn't have gone to the other four or six."

I just thought this needed to be quoted. For truth.

Cheesegreater
05-23-2007, 12:37 PM
I totally agree. Great post man. It's your choice to go to the damn shows. I don't want to call anyone out, but who the hell are these people going to like 12 shows on this tour alone?!?! Shit, must have rich daddies or the most laid back job on the planet.

I'm not going to lie, I would love to see Tool that many times, but life simply does not permit it. It makes my skin crawl when I hear "8th show this tour. Honestly, I was disappointed." It's like you've spent well over a tousand dollars on Tool alone and all you do is complain when you get back from a show saying "Hopefully the next couple of shows I go to won't be such a let down." Jesus-titty-fucking-Christ! Get a hold of yourselves people!

DON IOTAE
05-23-2007, 12:40 PM
It makes my skin crawl when I hear "8th show this tour. Honestly, I was disappointed." It's like you've spent well over a tousand dollars on Tool alone and all you do is complain when you get back from a show saying "Hopefully the next couple of shows I go to won't be such a let down." Jesus-titty-fucking-Christ! Get a hold of yourselves people!

when you put it that way, it is pretty laughable.

Matthew77
05-23-2007, 01:02 PM
alrighty then, picture this if you will... year 2011, new tool tour, show just let out, and everyone's bitching because they didn't play rosetta... haha

lol, I can only pray that TOOL will have a new tour in 2011!!!!!

InsideTheOutside20
05-23-2007, 08:51 PM
Seriously, how are people going to so many shows on one tour? I am saving my money for one show and trying to decided if I am going to get tickets to another because the first one is going to cost me a lot of money that I really don't have to spare right now.

Another thing. We all know that Tool has pretty much already decided what their setlist is going to be for every show. They might throw in a surprise here and there, cut some songs out, or change a song but for the most part it isn't a big secret as to what they are going to play. They are artists just as a director or a painter is an artist. It is up to them as to what they want to do. When you go to a movie and you are "disappointed" with it, do you keep spending the money to go back every chance you get expecting to see something different? You don't because you know, from past experiences, what you are going to get. I know that a concert and a movie are different because a concert COULD change and a movie is definately not going to, but it should be obvious to you by now that Tool isn't going to change very much. So why do you keep going back? I think you look at the setlists and see that some shows have Pushit or H or The Grudge or whatever it is that you want to see and you think that if you go see them again, you might get one of those surprises. You are basically gambling on the setlist... You pay the money to see a show expecting something different and when you don't get it, you get pissed.... but nobody said that you would get what you want in the first place. So it shouldn't be a surpise to you when you hear the same songs as the show before and the show before that and so on. If you go, stop bitching... or just don't go... and stop bitching about not going because of the setlist.

Cheesegreater
05-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Gambling with tickets. There's a novel concept my man, and that's totally what these people are doing.

HelenA
05-24-2007, 01:08 AM
I started reading this thread a few days ago and was waiting for a quiet moment to finish reading it. I have so much to say but I will try not to waste your time.

I agree with Flux (and others) that it is silly (and a waste) to complain about the setlist. It IS the 10,000 days tour and if you don't like the album and are only going on the chance of hearing something from other albums then don't go.

I also completely agree that it is unfair to the band and other fans to buy tickets to multiple shows when you have a pre-determined negative mindset. They are other people who would LOVE your ticket.

I also totally GET what Flux is saying about collective responsibility. When we saw Tool in Sydney I was WILLING the crowd to be cool. And it was so great. The crowd were completely into it. They loved every song. No-one threw anything. Everyone respected the "please-no-flash" request. And I was proud to be part of a crowd like that. I wanted Tool to go away from Sydney thinking well of us. And if some dickhead had thrown something I would have felt partly responsible.

And (final point - cos dinner is nearly cooked) there are people out there who feel very very strongly about THEIR band. They are massive fans and have had to work very very hard to get the money for the tickets, actually GET the tickets (it was very difficult to actually purchase tickets here), and get to the venue. I had responsibility for ten teenagers and it was a big deal. For people like us, it is THE chance of a lifetime. We don't get Tool tours very often (iota doesn't get them at all) so get a sense of perspective and quit bitching!

Maz46&2
05-24-2007, 04:09 AM
I started reading this thread a few days ago and was waiting for a quiet moment to finish reading it. I have so much to say but I will try not to waste your time.

I agree with Flux (and others) that it is silly (and a waste) to complain about the setlist. It IS the 10,000 days tour and if you don't like the album and are only going on the chance of hearing something from other albums then don't go.

I also completely agree that it is unfair to the band and other fans to buy tickets to multiple shows when you have a pre-determined negative mindset. They are other people who would LOVE your ticket.

I also totally GET what Flux is saying about collective responsibility. When we saw Tool in Sydney I was WILLING the crowd to be cool. And it was so great. The crowd were completely into it. They loved every song. No-one threw anything. Everyone respected the "please-no-flash" request. And I was proud to be part of a crowd like that. I wanted Tool to go away from Sydney thinking well of us. And if some dickhead had thrown something I would have felt partly responsible.

And (final point - cos dinner is nearly cooked) there are people out there who feel very very strongly about THEIR band. They are massive fans and have had to work very very hard to get the money for the tickets, actually GET the tickets (it was very difficult to actually purchase tickets here), and get to the venue. I had responsibility for ten teenagers and it was a big deal. For people like us, it is THE chance of a lifetime. We don't get Tool tours very often (iota doesn't get them at all) so get a sense of perspective and quit bitching!

Yeah, you bring up a good point, I can't really recall any instances of non-American shows where the crowd threw things at the stage or rushed the stage. I think the fact that Tool are an American band we feel like we are entitled to something. It would be interesting to see how people would react to the setlists and such if they were from England or something.

paraflux
05-24-2007, 05:17 AM
It's not just unfair, it's fucking stupid. I understand you're just trying to be tactful though :)

Im glad you see this. Unfortunately lots of people are willing to jump on the Collective bandwagon without understanding that there is responsibility involved.

hobbitcore
05-24-2007, 09:48 AM
I find it interesting that people are saying it's unfair or dumb to go to multiple shows on the tour because I recently found out that on the Lateralus Tour--which I saw them on in Ft. Lauderdale--they played a couple of my favorite songs in the other shows in my state that they didn't play when I saw them...The Patient and FUCKIN EULOGY...and they also played Undertow at one...I would give anything to go back in time and be able to drive and fucking go to all three shows. Now I'll probably never see any of those songs...let alone Third Eye, my favorite Tool song.

insaner
05-24-2007, 10:22 AM
i go to multiple shows becasue i can and i have NEVER been disappointed at a tool show.

the worst one for me was in New Orleans in like 98. becasue i was with some chick who wasnt into bum rushing the floor, and we had side stage way up high seats and basically sat down the whole time. anyone who knows me knows when i go to tool i have to be close, and i cant fucking sit down. so yeah, if you consider maynard coming out as a reverend and saying "yall come here to hear the word of the lord? well, youre in the wrong fucking place" and tossing the bible in the crowd, and slow version of pushit right when it was invented and my fisrt extended stinkfist - with king buzzo (who i still maintain wrote the extended riff) bad, then yeah that was my worst show.

mellowlikejello
05-24-2007, 10:24 AM
I find it interesting that people are saying it's unfair or dumb to go to multiple shows on the tour because I recently found out that on the Lateralus Tour--which I saw them on in Ft. Lauderdale--they played a couple of my favorite songs in the other shows in my state that they didn't play when I saw them...The Patient and FUCKIN EULOGY...and they also played Undertow at one...I would give anything to go back in time and be able to drive and fucking go to all three shows. Now I'll probably never see any of those songs...let alone Third Eye, my favorite Tool song.

yeah... my boyfriend went to 3 shows during the lateralus tour.. and got to see eulogy, h, third eye, cold and ugly, pushit, opiate, parabola. basically every show had at least 3 or 4 different songs. (sadly i didnt go to any)

together we went to 3 shows last year... even though the setlists were the same (except seeing right in two on the mini tour, and wings during the other two shows) each show was a completely different experience. and all 3 were amazing for different reasons (the venue, view, crowd, friends i went with). this leg of the tour i'm going to 3 shows, 3 days in a row. although the setlist most likely won't be a surprise.. i'm sure i'll have an awesome time at each one.

i understand some people being dissapointed, but i still think its worth it to go to multiple shows. each one is a completely different experience. plus seeing lateralus live gives me such an incredible feeling i can't complain about seeing it 3 days in a row, so hopefully that doesnt come off the setlist.

chonus
05-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Yes, because we all know that Maynard is Christ....

Ain't this the truth though?

This is what I truly believe.

And now that I have figured this out, I feel like the band is saying, "It's your turn. Do something incredible. We won't be here forever. We've given you what you needed, now go do something with your life. You know what needs to be done, so, do it. Are you just gonna waste your time going to tool shows and not do anything great with what we've given you? We've helped you figure it out. We've given you background music that you can truly live by and do something great with and that you thank God for. If you can do something better, please do, we would welcome it."

So, I could complain about the band that changed my life, about not getting the setlist that I hoped for, or I could appreciate what the band is giving me, has given me and continues to give to others. I can do something great with my own life......or I can complain.

paraflux
05-24-2007, 10:47 AM
I dont remember saying that, so it must have been in jest. He is no more Christ than you or I, perhaps further down that road, but we are all on it if we want to be.

i m o

Headphuq
05-24-2007, 11:32 AM
I saw Tool in Houston in 02 and once again in Dallas in 06. The Dallas show was so amazing. The people there were all so respectful. I could tell we were all there to see Tool and to me the spiritual vibe in Tool is still alive and well. When I saw Tool I was not worried about set lists, t shirts, posters, moshing, and all this material bullshit ***. Those four individuals move me. To me the Tool experience is pure and fun. There imagery is healing, and when I belt out those lyrics and air drum along with Danny I'm helping my body. Tool are selfish with there work and I'm selfish with what I get out of it. Tool are here to help us. Let's help them help us.

DON IOTAE
05-24-2007, 11:46 AM
i go to multiple shows because i can and i have NEVER been disappointed at a tool show.

the worst one for me was in New Orleans in like 98...

the irony is killing me here...

and btw, fixed.

InsideTheOutside20
05-24-2007, 01:59 PM

First, I don't think that anyone here said that it is "unfair or dumb" to go to multiple shows. There is more to it than that. What everyone was saying, or atleast what I am trying to get across, is that if you go to a show, go in a good mood. Don't be pissed that they aren't playing your songs. Just get over the fact that they are playing what they are playing or just don't go. I am happy with anyone who wants to see Tool multiple times on one tour. Just don't bitch about seeing them 5 or so times with the same songs. Enjoy it because most people would love to be able to see them more than once... People that get the chance to do that really don't know how lucky they are.

Second, you don't know what the future has in store. They could surprise everyone with a setlist change or another tour that features more of their older material.... you just don't know, so you shouldn't say that you will never get to see your favorite songs. That is the attitude I am talking about.

polyrythmic987
05-24-2007, 03:17 PM
I've been reading this thread off and on and hardly ever post on here, but wanted to say something after all. I think it is interesting that if you watch/listen to any of the inteviews with the band about 10,000 days they expressed how they sort of tap into their "selfish" side of creating music because that is what they have always done and listened to themselves, rather than predicting or caring about what fans want. That being said, I don't understand why some fans think that the live show is any different: If Tool's "selfish" side led to to the music that you want to hear, then why should their decisions regarding the setlists be any different. I find it hard to believe that anyone would say "I would have put a note here or changed the song there", so why question their choices about the live show. I've been to many tool shows and sure there are songs I would like to see, but isn't that the fun: not being in control of the music, just experiencing music that before the albums were created, no one could have predicted the sound of. Anyways, sorry for going on: I just think it is a double standard to love the music that tool's "selfish" approach created, but when on tour: play what I want and if not, complain...

flipmojo
05-24-2007, 03:30 PM

Shitty thread. Argumentative and beligerent....

paraflux
05-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the contribution, that's the fucking point.

To reach people where they are you have to approach them as they are.

ElMaestro
05-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Hello, as a long time reader first time poster of this website, I agree with many when its said that Tool has the absolute worst fans-namely Americans. Some of their expectations are really high. That is just the price you pay for being the best live band. You just can't ever duplicate that "one" awesome show with the perfect setlist. Mine was November 21, 2002 in San Diego. Especially if you seen them from other tours and are into their earlier "angrier" albums and you want to mosh at their shows. I'm all for the moshing but some of their recent songs are not about expressing that emotion. But I think thats one of the reasons they are still around after all these years. They keep changing and evolving and for themselves and not the fans.

I've heard Danny say in interviews that they don't try to please anyone and rightly so. Its their band, their creative energy and when you really break it down they don't owe us shit. I know I've seen them 6 times and there are some songs I'd absolutely kill to hear live but I know it will never happen. They have since evolved past some of their older songs. If they spent all their energy trying to please fans they probably would've have given up after Lateralus. And 10k days is a really hard listen. I've been listening steadily for over a year now and I still pick up things I haven't heard before. But thats one of the things that makes Tool Tool, you can interpret it any which way and you know they would never come up with some bullshit magazine article that reveals all the secrets. Because if they ever did, I think we'd all be extremely dissappointed.

In retrospect, I'd have to say that being into a band like Tool has made me take a harder look at other bands and now I'm a huge fan of more progressive music-Mars Volta, Deftones, Mastodon-who I never heard of until they opened for Tool in Europe. Its also uplifting to me to see how many people are out there that are so into them after all these years. I'm sure it will be that way until long after they break up. Just look at all those fools on youtube...some are pretty impressive though. Like that one dude that drums to Ticks and Leeches-dude you are the f'ing man!

Undertowing
05-24-2007, 05:42 PM
The majority of fans at a Tool show probably aren't exactly huge Tool fans capable of critiquing their setlists and such. They're just happy to see the band, and would likely attend any rock concert that night if given the chance. Folks that come to a site like this are in the minority, myself included.

So it's probably not a good idea to generalize to all American fans based on comments on this site. At least people like Tool enough to bitch about them. Not many people are going to bitch about a Linkin' Park set list or show, because no one, including their fans, really care. I doubt a band like that would generate the passion within as many people as Tool does, even though they probably have a greater number of fans (if you went and asked random people).

It's all good to me. I like hearing all opinions. Good or bad.

Tool is entertainment. Whether they play the songs I like, or songs I could do without, I enjoy them. Whether there is a guy in front of me standing and screaming the entire show, or whether everyone around me is mellow, I enjoy them. Whether I pay $30 for a tic, or $80, I don't care. You just kind of have to go with the flow.

fatback_mcswain
05-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Tool should just play shows in Canada all the time. That would solve everything.

JDParker7
05-24-2007, 10:02 PM
No. Australia.

We need more Tool concerts down under.
Please.

HelenA
05-25-2007, 12:23 AM
No. Australia.

We need more Tool concerts down under.
Please.

Absolutely - we are cool.

fatback_mcswain
05-25-2007, 04:00 AM
Absolutely - we are cool.

Yeah... I'm not going to argue with that. So then it's settled. Tool will only tour Australia and Canada... the forgotten markets.

insaner
05-25-2007, 06:42 AM
the irony is killing me here...

and btw, fixed.

what did you fix? im clueless.

insaner
05-25-2007, 06:50 AM
attention tool-

could you please play these songs tomorrow night in birmingham? these are the only songs you have that ive never seen live, and seeing them would cap off my great life.

tick n leeches

disgustipated

maynards dick

thank you very much and have a blessed day!

DON IOTAE
05-25-2007, 07:58 AM
what did you fix? im clueless.

becasue -> because

:P

fearxile
05-25-2007, 08:45 AM
I hate everyone bitching about the setlist. go back and look at the lateralus setlist for the shows, THEY HARDLY EVER CHANGED. Sure they swapped some songs during shows, but what do you think they do now. Just be happy you able to go see the shows, and that they still continue to put them on for us. Half the people at the shows dont deserve to be there

insaner
05-25-2007, 10:45 AM
becasue -> because

:P

awww yer sweet. thank you very much.

2and46
05-25-2007, 01:06 PM
I agree with Flux on this. Maybe not to the extent that they stop playing in the US, but I too get sick of all this whining about set lists. It doesn't matter what they play, people are gonna bitch. So... what if they play hooker with a penis instead of aenima? People gonna complain that they didnt play one of their signature songs. I remember coming out of the phoenix show during the lateralus tour.."aw man they didnt play aenima...they fucking suck". What do you want them to do? Take a poll, a show of hands before each song? That way people's widdle feewings wont get hurt?

Cheesegreater
05-25-2007, 01:26 PM
"What do you want them to do? Take a poll, a show of hands before each song? That way people's widdle feewings wont get hurt?" QUOTE

Flux, are you getting this? :) LMFAO

InsideTheOutside20
05-25-2007, 02:00 PM
"Please remove the keypad from under your seat and press #1 for Aenima, #2 for Pushit, or #3 for Third Eye."

mindlattice
05-25-2007, 04:48 PM

Seriously.....

I attended my fair share of Lateralus concerts. Maybe once or twice during Dispostion/Reflection i kinda got bored, stared at the screens for a while, bobbed my head, and just felt good swaying to the music.

Never once did i take it for granted because i knew this might be the last time i hear Disp/Reflection/Triad in it's entirety.

I would be dissapointed if i went to a 10,000 Days show and didn't hear Jambi, Rosetta, RI2 + Vicarious. I don't understand bitching about new songs being played....that doesn't make sense. It also doesn't make sense to follow this tour because you will get the same show every time.

This band has a nostalga engraved in it's name. A feeling/sense/urgency to go to as many shows as you could because one day (LONG GONE) this band was putting on circus like shows....never getting the same thing twice.

I understand that there are many fans who have just seen the band for the first time, who might be dissapointed that they didn't play Intolerance or Sweat.

Shit, i saw the band in 1997. Guess what the setlist was:

Hooker With A Penis
Stinkfist
46&2
Eulogy
Prison Sex
Sober
Pushit
Opiate
AEnema

Yea, Hooker was one of the most intense openers that side of The Grudge, and Pushit is still embedded in my head from that day.....but everything else has been played during the Lateralus tours and again for 10,000 days.

To say that TooL should never tour the US is a stupid comment. Yes, there are assholes here. Yes, i would love to see TooL in Japan, where you could probably hear a pin drop during Wings/10k Days.

BUT, i have experienced some great shows... right hear in New Jersey/Philly/NYC. Likewise, i am sure the band has had a few great moments on stage in these same arenas/cities. It's love hate with us/them...and those cynical assholes understand/appreciate it i am sure.

HelenA
05-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Yeah... I'm not going to argue with that. So then it's settled. Tool will only tour Australia and Canada... the forgotten markets.

And costa rica

flipmojo
05-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Tool fixes their setlist to a production of lights and visuals. So I understand why they don't switch it up much once it is set. Having said that, why don't they switch it up in between tours? I think that is where the problem lies. This setlist is very similar to the same setlist they've played for the past year. Regardless, I'm stoked about Orlando, Sunrise, and Jax. I don't care if they play the same setlist all three nights as long as they rock it. I haven't seen them since 2002.

Maz46&2
05-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Tool fixes their setlist to a production of lights and visuals.

True to a point. The most elaborate part of the visuals would have to be the lasers. If they are still doing shows like in 2006 the lasers are on Wings through Ænema. That part of the set has been the same since 2006 for the most part and will probably always be the same but the first part of the set has seen changes and I'm sure Tool could change it up without concerns for the visuals. They have a very extensive set of videos that could be played for any number of songs so I doubt that the visuals completely dictate the setlist.

Sp00k
05-25-2007, 09:59 PM
"Please remove the keypad from under your seat and press #1 for Aenima, #2 for Pushit, or #3 for Third Eye."

I pressed #2 last night and I Pushit myself. Damn that was a good show.

3poundsoflove
05-26-2007, 12:02 AM
I add my point of view, as an european fan.

I saw them 4 times in Italy in 2006. The shows were good, most expecially the ones in november. The one in Florence was surely the best one I've ever seen (and I saw bands like Radiohead, NIN, Sigur Ròs, Pearl Jam, Qotsa, Isis, A Perfect Circle, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc. etc.). The ones in June were attended by thousands of people, but Maynard did act like a lazy rockstar (or at least, surely he didn't gave his 100%) and over all the acoustic was too loud, as a consequence the shows were not as amazing as the ones in November.

Surely I understand that this is the 10,000 Days tour, an album I really appreaciate and consider one of my favourites (and no, I'm not a newbie). So I'm not going to ask them not to play their new stuff because I honestly think that they believe in their new songs, and it would be a loss stop playing them, favouring only old crowd-favourites.

Anyway, they're coming back to Europe for the third time in 14 months in August.
Surely if they play the same songs once again, I will be disappointed, as I guess much of the crowd will be. I'm not asking them not to play Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, the Wings, The Pot, Vicarious, Intension (<--that would be nice!)... but hey, at least let's exchange a couple of old songs. I hope they will understand that it's going to be the same people who saw them last year attending these summer festivals.
I'll saw them playing right before Nine Inch Nails, the same day, but I hope the band will understand the people will be there for them more than for NIN (which are a little less popular here). It could be the last time we see them, so I expect a great show. I'm not asking a particular song instead of another,
but please surprise us.

People here really respect the band [we generally don't throw anything on stage towards the band to hit them, but "the mother of the fool is always pregnant", so it could happen everywhere], thousands of rock junkies which didn't know Tool and thought that Pearl Jam, Muse or Red Hot Chili Peppers were the best around, have now moved towards Tool. Let's conquer them. I hope the band will give his 100% for this occasion.

I don't know how it is in US, so I'm not going to judge anything.

HelenA
05-26-2007, 01:55 AM
I'm not asking them not to play Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, the Wings, The Pot, Vicarious, Intension (<--that would be nice!)... but hey, at least let's exchange a couple of old songs. I hope they will understand that it's going to be the same people who saw them last year attending these summer festivals.

How can you expect them not to play songs from 10,000 days on a 10,000 days tour? And I would give ANYTHING to hear "Right in Two".

3poundsoflove
05-26-2007, 02:13 AM
How can you expect them not to play songs from 10,000 days on a 10,000 days tour? And I would give ANYTHING to hear "Right in Two".

Yes, that's what I meant. I like those songs and I understand that they will play them once again. At least change the old ones at this point: it's the third time they come in 14 months, listening to the same songs once again it's not the maximum from life.

whittashau
05-26-2007, 02:15 AM

I think he/she said she doesnt expect them to not to the play the 10k day songs but wants them to change the older songs (ala stinkfist, 46 and 2, schism) and exchange them for different older songs.

3poundsoflove
05-26-2007, 02:16 AM
I think he/she said she doesnt expect them to not to the play the 10k day songs but wants them to change the older songs (ala stinkfist, 46 and 2, schism) and exchange them for different older songs.

exact.

HelenA
05-26-2007, 03:55 AM
Sorry - my bad! (I suck - as you all know!)

DON IOTAE
05-26-2007, 07:32 AM
And costa rica

:O

Maz46&2
05-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Well, say what you will about this thread and/or Paraflux but I think we can all agree that about 90% of what has been said in this thread (regardless of actual opinion) has at least been intelligent and thought out. Hopefully we can agree on that topic.

DON IOTAE
05-28-2007, 05:57 AM
tell that to the "American fans"

paraflux
05-28-2007, 07:25 AM
I add my point of view, as an european fan.

I saw them 4 times in Italy in 2006. The shows were good, most expecially the ones in november. The one in Florence was surely the best one I've ever seen (and I saw bands like Radiohead, NIN, Sigur Ròs, Pearl Jam, Qotsa, Isis, A Perfect Circle, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc. etc.). The ones in June were attended by thousands of people, but Maynard did act like a lazy rockstar (or at least, surely he didn't gave his 100%) and over all the acoustic was too loud, as a consequence the shows were not as amazing as the ones in November.

Surely I understand that this is the 10,000 Days tour, an album I really appreaciate and consider one of my favourites (and no, I'm not a newbie). So I'm not going to ask them not to play their new stuff because I honestly think that they believe in their new songs, and it would be a loss stop playing them, favouring only old crowd-favourites.

Anyway, they're coming back to Europe for the third time in 14 months in August.
Surely if they play the same songs once again, I will be disappointed, as I guess much of the crowd will be. I'm not asking them not to play Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, the Wings, The Pot, Vicarious, Intension (<--that would be nice!)... but hey, at least let's exchange a couple of old songs. I hope they will understand that it's going to be the same people who saw them last year attending these summer festivals.
I'll saw them playing right before Nine Inch Nails, the same day, but I hope the band will understand the people will be there for them more than for NIN (which are a little less popular here). It could be the last time we see them, so I expect a great show. I'm not asking a particular song instead of another,
but please surprise us.

People here really respect the band [we generally don't throw anything on stage towards the band to hit them, but "the mother of the fool is always pregnant", so it could happen everywhere], thousands of rock junkies which didn't know Tool and thought that Pearl Jam, Muse or Red Hot Chili Peppers were the best around, have now moved towards Tool. Let's conquer them. I hope the band will give his 100% for this occasion.

I don't know how it is in US, so I'm not going to judge anything.
The band will give you what they want to give you, really. Pleas for surprises or whatnot will go unnoticed, just as they always have. Just saying. Take it or leave it.

InsideTheOutside20
05-28-2007, 08:56 AM
tell that to the "American fans"

While all of us in here in America are a part of the "American Fans", we don't always agree with each other. All of us as a whole may be the worst crowd there is... maybe not.... but it doesn't mean that we all share the same views. I agree that most of the things us Americans do makes us look like the biggest idiots on the planet, but remember not all of us agree with the majority.

DON IOTAE
05-28-2007, 08:56 AM
hey, I'm an American too. A Central American.

;)

Jim
05-28-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm attending the 06/01(Fort Lauderdale) show. All I want is a full set. If this makes me a dickhead-bitchy-American, then so be it. I don't care what songs they do/don't play, as long as Tool plays every song they have typed onto their setlists for that night. (If Danny can't go on for the whole show-I understand.) I'm going to be 100% happy if I get the standard set they've been performing and don't cut the show short. I understand the 11:00 curfew/union workers/venue restrictions that force a band to end the show by a given time. If the curfew is the one and only reason that Tool has been cutting shows short, why not time it so they begin the set sooner?
I'd like to add that I have been to my fair share of concerts in south floridi-duh, and the audience members are sometimes disgusting. Example: when the guy climbed onto the stage during a Primus show and took Les's hat off his head and jumped back into the crowd. I'm nervous as well as excited about Friday...
-JIM-
(to paraphrase Bill Hicks on being American-my parents fucked here, I didn't have much to do with it)

chefjennkcc
05-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Here is my two cents: Tool is tight. That is the bottom line. They play the songs they want to, if they wanted to play something different, I'm sure they would. It's not like they are purposely playing the same setlist just to piss the fans off. Or maybe they are, which would be hilarious. Tool doesn't owe us anything. Pay your money, and if you can't enjoy the best rock band out there, bummer for you. Tool is tight. That is the bottom line.

I don't care WHAT they play, I feel honored to be there. Having seen then 6 times over the course of their careers, I've seen many different songs performed. EVERY concert is unique even if the set lists are the same. Shut the hell up and enjoy them before they are not here to enjoy anymore.

I bet when they quit touring and you tell people about the TOOL concerts you saw when you were younger, you won't be saying, " Yeah, the set list sucked" You'll be bragging about even having the chance to have been there.