PDA

View Full Version : My crazy interpretation of the song

Janster
05-16-2007, 03:55 PM
I believe this song could be about constipation. And not JUST constipation, there are deeper truths which are touched upon through the metaphor of constipation.

Okay, I know this sounds really stupid.... but it actually does make a lot of sense with the lyrics.

The song is indeed about "pushing shit".

Look:

"I will choke until I swallow...
Choke this infant here before me.
What is this but my reflection?
Who am I to judge and strike you down?"

This is the anus talking, and the "infant" being choked then swallowed is the turd. The complacent anus will obey its master as usual, but feels jaded and questions why it is doing this act, which the anus finds hypocritical, feeling itself to likewise be nothing but shit.

"But you're
Pushing and shoving me.
You still love me and you pushit on me."

The anus feels opressed by its master, but knows it is really loved after all.

"Rest your trigger on my finger,
bang my head upon the fault line.
Take care not to make me enter.
'cause if I do we both may disappear. "

This is from the point of view of the turd talking to the anus, who does not want to leave its master. By "take care not to make me enter", the turd is referring to the toilet. The turd knows that its removal from the narrator's body will ultimately result in the anus's downfall. It does not want to be shat, because it fears for both their lives.

"But you're pushing me,
Shoving me. Pushit on me."

The reaction of the turd to its opression contrasts the reaction of the anus, as the turd is more aware of the consequences of this shit. Now the turd realizes that while they both will die, it does not really matter, as the anus has been opressing it so much.

"Slipping back into the gap again.
I'm alive when you're touching me,
Alive when you're shoving me down. "

The turd is now glad to die, and in fact gets sadistic pleasure from being shit, because it knows it will kill the anus.

"But i'd trade it all
For just a little bit of
Piece of mind."

Despite enjoying the anus's suffering, the turd would still rather be a intelligent creature like its master than get revenge.

"Put me somewhere I don't wanna be.
Seeing someplace I don't wanna see.
Never wanna see that place again. "

The turd is referring to the rectum that it is painfully trapped in at this point.

"Saw that gap again today
As you were begging me to stay.
Managed to push myself away,
And you, as well."

Now this is from the human's perspective. The human thinks the turd really wants to stay in him, and is battling him, but really the battle has already been lost for him, though he thinks he emerges victorious. There is really much more shit left in his anus, however.

"If, when I say I may fade like a sigh if I stay,
You minimize my movement anyway,
I must persuade you another way."

The human is talking to the turd here, saying that he has been sitting on the toilet for too long, and if he does not leave soon, he will die. But the turd refuses to leave his anus, so he decides he must push harder.

"There's no love in fear."

The turd is speaking to the anus here, telling it that its master does not really love it. Instead, the human is afraid that the lack of shitting will kill him.

"Staring down the hole again.
Hands upon my back again.
Survival is my only friend.
Terrified of what may come."

This is the human again, staring down at the empty toilet. At this point, he has realized that this may be his last shit ever, and is afraid. The allegorical hands upon his back are that of the anus which he indeed fears.

"Just remember I will always love you,
Even as I tear your fucking throat away.
But it will end no other way."

The human is now convinced that the only way he can get out alive is by pushing the shit out with every last shred of his strength. He knows this will tear the anus, "but it will end no other way".

Either this is proof that you can twist Maynard's lyrics to mean pretty much anything you want, or I am really onto something.

Arkham Asylum
05-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Haha I love it. This is what I wished more people did when they think about Tool songs. It reminds me of when I said Lateralus the album was just muzak (I had my reasons, you can find the thread somewhere on TDN.)

Thanks for the laugh and thanks for the insight.

Ghostwriter
05-16-2007, 04:09 PM
This is blasphemy! Haha, crazy interpretation but not so far-fetched.

SilverGrudge
05-29-2007, 11:59 AM
janster...I give you 10 thumbs up on your ANALysis. you interpretation was very well worth the read. Thanks!

OuRsOuLsInMoTiOn
05-29-2007, 12:12 PM
That is fucking ridiculous.... yet so well written.

Tah.

Undertowaway
05-29-2007, 06:09 PM
That was poetry....beautiful poetry. I'm constipated now for popping too much Lortab during the TOOL show Sat night in B'ham. I was listening to the Salival version while reading your post. Wonderful interpretation.

mkean
06-19-2007, 04:45 PM
HAHAHAHA!

But seriously, that theory was better than some other people's. I'm not going to ask what you were smoking (even though I should). And you never know, this guy might be on to something.

Okay, since everyone else does it, I'll do my own interpretation of the lyrics. I think most Tool songs have more simple a meaning than people think. It's telling of a guy being abused in a romantic relationship with a woman.

I will choke until I swallow...
Choke this infant here before me.
What is this but my reflection?
Who am I to judge and strike you down?

Even in his misery, he thinks, "Hey, maybe I deserve this. I've done worse."

But you're
Pushing and shoving me.
You still love me and you pushit on me.

Abuse. She claims to love him, but it's glorified. She's overprotective.

Rest your trigger on my finger,
bang my head upon the fault line.
Take care not to make me enter.
'cause if I do we both may disappear.

Threaten me. If I leave, you'll kill me, won't you? If I submit to this, you'll become as twisted as I am. We'll both "dissapear."

But you're pushing me,
Shoving me. Pushit on me.

More abuse.

Slipping back into the gap again.
I'm alive when you're touching me,
Alive when you're shoving me down.

This is all he knows. Pain, it's how he know's he's alive. She's beating the almighty shit out of em'.

But i'd trade it all
For just a little bit of
Piece of mind.

I'd rather be dead than here. I want to die (mentally).

Put me somewhere I don't wanna be.
Seeing someplace I don't wanna see.
Never wanna see that place again.

Doesn't want to see her, or her house, or anything to do with her.

Saw that gap again today
As you were begging me to stay.
Managed to push myself away,
And you, as well.

"The gap." Welp, that's death. She's obviously not holding back with these beatings. "Begged me to stay." Yeah right. The same old shit, threatening him and hurting him. But this time he got away (how? could this be future?) Maybe without him, she'll change. That's what he seems to think.

If, when I say I may fade like a sigh if I stay,
You minimize my movement anyway,
I must persuade you another way.

If you're not going to let me leave, I have to find another way...(and that is kids?)

There's no love in fear.

You call it love? Bullshit. That's justified, glorified bullshit. "Love's a bitch..."

Staring down the hole again.
Hands upon my back again.
Survival is my only friend.
Terrified of what may come.

Of course the hole and the gap are the same. Scared to do it, but he's got no other choice.

Just remember I will always love you,
Even as I tear your fucking throat away.
But it will end no other way.

In order to live, in order to get free, there's no other way.....and what do you think he does next? ; D

Hope you found that....interesting.

Ghostwriter
06-20-2007, 03:28 PM
While we are at it I will admit that I believe Wings For Marie is about constipation as well... :(...

mkean
06-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Naaaah man. Wings for Marie. Both parts of the song obviously have something to do with Maynards (mother? aunt? grandmother? I honestly forget).

thomasknight
06-25-2007, 07:41 AM
I believe this song could be about constipation. And not JUST constipation, there are deeper truths which are touched upon through the metaphor of constipation.

Replace the word constipation with whatever the particular song is about and you can apply this to all Tool songs. In fact most songs and most of life. I think these things are the essential realities of life in this universe and they are the kind of things we are here to learn.

Ghostwriter
06-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Naaaah man. Wings for Marie. Both parts of the song obviously have something to do with Maynards (mother? aunt? grandmother? I honestly forget).

BoomShakaLaka
07-05-2007, 10:55 AM
I believe that Pushit is about constipation, it would makes since about the theme of the album, a bunch of songs that sounds like they have deep meaning, like Stinkfist, Pushit, etc.... but in they're really about some simple ass shit

fourty-six & 2
07-06-2007, 09:15 AM
My gawd, you all are freakin' amazing....I rather enjoyed reading this thread! Thank you all!

Ghostwriter
07-09-2007, 04:59 PM

Wings for Marie is about Maynard's deceased mother, Judith Marie Keenan.