View Full Version : 2007/07/05 - Grand Rapids, MI - Van Andel Arena

paraflux
05-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Tool
July 7, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI - Van Andel Arena

thevirusunknown
05-15-2007, 07:16 AM
No support info yet... though Melt-Banana is supporting through June 23rd.

Wheres everyone sitting? My tickets put me in the 1st row of 126. Not very close, but a little above the floor which should be nice.

First Tool concert in Grand Rapids since the delayed 9-11 show!

Canada
05-15-2007, 08:08 AM
PEOPLE!!!

Don't get stuck in an arena...go see Tool at DTE in Detroit.

Fantastic venue with ultra-clear sound.

thevirusunknown
05-15-2007, 09:36 AM
PEOPLE!!!

Don't get stuck in an arena...go see Tool at DTE in Detroit.

Fantastic venue with ultra-clear sound.

DTE is a nice venue... I saw NIN there last summer. The lawn blows though... and I live in GR so the gas savings is gigantic.

aquarium salt
05-15-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm on floor...4 something? Middle back on the right facing the stage. Meh.

xXAtaraxiaXx
05-16-2007, 12:53 PM
It sucks that the floor is seated.

I bought two tickets, and on the stub it says Floor 4, Row AA, Seat 1 and Seat 2. Is anyone familiar with Van Andel floor seats?
http://www.ticketmaster.com/seatingchart/65737/2673

Are AA seats 1&2 for Floor 4 closer to section 122 or closer to the Floor 2 side? When I call Van Andel I just get the run around.

See ya there Aquarium, what row/seats are you at? And floor 4 really doesn't look that bad. Now floor 6, 7, or 8 would be bad!

APT
05-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Havn't been to Van Andel. I know it's relatively small sized arena. Anyone seen a concert there? How was the sound and atmosphere?

thevirusunknown
05-19-2007, 06:57 AM
Havn't been to Van Andel. I know it's relatively small sized arena. Anyone seen a concert there? How was the sound and atmosphere?

I've been to more concerts than I can count and worked as a stagehand there. It seats around 11,000 so yeah, small-medium arena. I think its very nice, good sound, clean venue and pretty much every seat is going to be good. They have an area on their site where you can see what the view is from your seat. Located here (http://www.vanandelarena.com/tickets_finder.asp).

APT
06-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Sweet, thanks.

aquarium salt
06-16-2007, 07:10 PM
are we assuming that melt banana is still opening, or what's the news? could i cross my fingers for NO 'banana and a bigger setlist from tool? doubtful.

still, anybody know?

xXAtaraxiaXx
06-18-2007, 04:35 PM
On mb's website it says they're in Portland on the 4th and San Fran on the 6th.

You don't have to cross your fingers for mbanana but you should cross your fingers and hope they don't get another half-assed band to open.

Chosen People
06-21-2007, 12:34 PM
I pretty sure Big Business is opening for Tool in Van Andel.... and DTE for that matter. You can check their myspace page http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=13717050.

saigonsuicidesquad
06-28-2007, 10:09 AM
my buddy bought the tix and i think we have decent seats.
i, for one, am really excited about a seated show. i want to watch the band and not get kicked in the head by a retarted crowd surfer.
who else was at the delayed 9-11 show? killer version of pushit

marcus
06-28-2007, 05:47 PM
I haven't seen them since the 90's. If they free up some tickets before the show I may go to this one.

thevirusunknown
06-29-2007, 06:59 PM
my buddy bought the tix and i think we have decent seats.
i, for one, am really excited about a seated show. i want to watch the band and not get kicked in the head by a retarted crowd surfer.
who else was at the delayed 9-11 show? killer version of pushit

I was there as well, quite an intense show it was. Pushit was probably the most memorable part of it for me as well, along with Maynard's comments about the situation. I used to have the full audio, I'll have to give it another listen sometime soon.

Marcus, if you're interested in going, I've got extra tickets that I posted about in that ticket thread thingie.

teabagger
07-01-2007, 03:52 PM
i was at the delayed 9-11 show too, meshugguh (probably spelled wrong) opened up. The entire vibe of that show was incredible.

i just bought tickets through ticketmaster yesterday for the thursday show after a couple failed ebay attempts on some better seats, i was surprised that i got lower bowl, side stage tickets (section 120) 10 rows up, fucking incredible considering the show is fucking 4 days away

and ive been seeing shows at that arena since it opened, too many amazing shows to count, regardless of the fact that security is tight, the beers are ridiculously priced, and ticket prices are usually higher there.....the acoustics in the arena are perfect, i cant name a show ive seen there with bad sound, the crowds in GR get signifigantly more rowdy than most cities (ive been to tons in CHI and DET.), probably because less concerts come here, the excitement is higher when they do, and there really is no bad seat in the place......i would WAY rather see a van andel concert than a DTE

not to mention maynard grew up in scottsville MI, so any time he hits GR or Kzoo, its esentially a hometown show

teabagger
07-01-2007, 03:55 PM
I haven't seen them since the 90's. If they free up some tickets before the show I may go to this one.

very good seats available right now, a ton of good lower bowl tix were released over the past couple days, but im sure theyll be gone soon

saigonsuicidesquad
07-02-2007, 06:01 AM
I used to have the full audio, I'll have to give it another listen sometime soon.

that's awesome. do you know of anywhere i could find this?

and yes, maynard's comments were great. it was a very weird feeling when a lot of the crowd was chanting USA, USA!

i'm getting pretty excited for this show, I drive by van andel everymorning on my way to work and i see that giant ad (new PR pic of the band) for the show on the BOB screen

H.E. Pennypacker
07-04-2007, 06:23 PM
I'm not looking forward to parking downtown. I hate parking downtown.

wsninja
07-05-2007, 02:39 AM
anyone go through ToolArmy to get tickets before (the pre-sale ones) im worried im going to showup to the will call booth and theyre not gonna be there.

jaggermeister
07-05-2007, 04:47 AM
"USA, USA"

"You'll be disappointed when you find out who's responsible for it...." (or something like that....).

2 days ago at DTE, "It's been a pleasure...." fuck dude--never heard the man sound so humble. it was humbling...

saigonsuicidesquad
07-05-2007, 05:39 AM
I'm not looking forward to parking downtown. I hate parking downtown.

I might be able to help you out. PM me if you get this before the show.

saigonsuicidesquad
07-05-2007, 05:40 AM
actually, anyone who will be parking downtown around 6:15 or so PM me.

I just drove by the VanAndel on my way into work. All the radio stations are putting stuff up and there's a great buzz in the air. i'm so fucking pumped.

thevirusunknown
07-05-2007, 07:40 AM
I'm going with 5 other people and we are just parking at a friends thats around Michigan and College and just walking down to Van Andel from there.

I can see Van Andel from the window in my office and its been torture all day!

teabagger
07-05-2007, 08:02 AM
i work downtown at this shithole called the tech group (though the sign out front says Custer), its at the intersection of grandville and cherry-directly next to the intersection bar. there is an empty lot behind the building on williams street that anyone can park in for free. It's about a five minute walk to van andel if that. and youre about a quarter of a block from the highway.

thevirusunknown
07-05-2007, 08:06 AM
i work downtown at this shithole called the tech group (though the sign out front says Custer), its at the intersection of grandville and cherry-directly next to the intersection bar. there is an empty lot behind the building on williams street that anyone can park in for free. It's about a five minute walk to van andel if that. and youre about a quarter of a block from the highway.

Thanks for the tip! I may be parking there.

aenima4386
07-05-2007, 09:17 AM
hey mcfaddens right across the street from the van andel is having a pre/post party, ill be there...also i have an extra ticket if anyone is interested email me at [email protected]

teabagger
07-05-2007, 09:21 AM
hey mcfaddens right across the street from the van andel is having a pre/post party, ill be there...also i have an extra ticket if anyone is interested email me at [email protected]

god i hate that bar, irish pub my ass

eh, maybe it'll be cooler with a bunch of tool fans inside

thevirusunknown
07-05-2007, 09:22 AM
I think mcfaddens is pretty cool, might stop by with my group before going in and possibly after.

aenima4386
07-05-2007, 09:24 AM
I think mcfaddens is pretty cool, might stop by with my group before going in and possibly after.

yeah they have some pretty good drink specials before the show, for those who plan on drinking....idk unless you like paying 9 bucks for a beer at the show

teabagger
07-05-2007, 09:46 AM
yeah they have some pretty good drink specials before the show, for those who plan on drinking....idk unless you like paying 9 bucks for a beer at the show

i agree about the beer prices for sure, but i always have to wait in line outside, and then wait another 20 minutes for a beer when that place is packed, i'd just rather be at the show with my 9 dollar beer out in the smoking area, at least under those circumstances

if it doesnt look too crazy from outside i might stop in though, save myself some money

saigonsuicidesquad
07-05-2007, 11:12 AM

is there a cover?

if not i will probably stop in with my group.

saigonsuicidesquad
07-05-2007, 11:13 AM
I'm going with 5 other people and we are just parking at a friends thats around Michigan and College and just walking down to Van Andel from there.

I can see Van Andel from the window in my office and its been torture all day!

where do you work?

i work for Open Systems Technologies. We're in the brassworks building, connected to founders. =)

aenima4386
07-05-2007, 11:15 AM
is there a cover?

if not i will probably stop in with my group.

no cover before the show, but probably after, idk

saigonsuicidesquad
07-05-2007, 11:19 AM
right on. thanks for the heads-up.

i'll probably be rocking the pool tables on the third floor then. i love pool.

aenima4386
07-05-2007, 11:21 AM
right on. thanks for the heads-up.

i'll probably be rocking the pool tables on the third floor then. i love pool.

haha oh man, those tables are not level, but ill come up and play a game with ya

saigonsuicidesquad
07-05-2007, 11:25 AM
haha oh man, those tables are not level, but ill come up and play a game with ya

hahaha true.

well, i'm bailing on work to go get stuff done before the concert.

hope to run into you later dude

thevirusunknown
07-05-2007, 11:27 AM
where do you work?

i work for Open Systems Technologies. We're in the brassworks building, connected to founders. =)

I work at Star Tickets Plus. Were about a mile south next to 131 on century ave.

saigonsuicidesquad
07-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Sounds like fun, must be torture looking at the arena all day.

well, stop over to mcfaddens and get in on the tdn poolshed tourney!

enjoy the show everyone!

aquarium salt
07-05-2007, 07:49 PM
why don't we have our own thread in the reviews?

APT
07-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Yeah, where the fuck is the review thread?

Styromaniac
07-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing... I guess someone forgot to make a review thread for GR... hmm...

Anyway, my first post, not sure if posting about the show in here is a big no-no but I'll do it anyway since there's no review thread.

It was my first Tool concert(I'm 17, last time they were in GR I was 11, not a Tool fan then, sad to say) and I thought it was incredible. The highlight of the evening for me was the Lateralus drum-off between Danny and Big Business' drummer(who I think held his own pretty well), while Justin played the bass riff one-handed on his knees and drank a beer. At least I'm assuming it was beer... if it wasn't it was still hilarious.

By the way, I think the show/setlist was generally the same as the day before in Milwaukee, which IS posted in the reviews section, unlike GR...

tooldude
07-06-2007, 05:31 AM
anybody have a setlist from last night? did they play the pot again?

aquarium salt
07-06-2007, 05:38 AM
yeah, i think it was after stinkfist.

blair's man sausage
07-06-2007, 06:12 AM
Jambi - Stinkfist - The Pot - Forty Six & 2 - Schism - Lost Keys - Rosetta Stoned - Right in Two - Wings for Marie - 10,000 Days - Lateralus - Vicarious.

tooldude
07-06-2007, 06:20 AM
thanks blairs man sausage lol... fuckin a you guys got right in two AND the pot.... yeah same as milwaukee except they got flood instead of right in two

Sharpshooter2k3
07-06-2007, 06:50 AM
Lol Blair tell Maynard to play third eye at PNC.

APT
07-06-2007, 07:00 AM
Couple small complaints to an otherwise awesome show:

Would have much rather seen them play Flood.

Danny didn't play the extended drum solo in Stinkfist.

Perhaps it was rare, but at DTE Danny went nuts on like a 10 minute drum solo by himself instead of having the Big Business drummer with him. Would have much rather seen him do that again.

rpringnitz
07-06-2007, 07:10 AM
Is it me or do these shows look the same? I thought it was boring too.

veikley
07-06-2007, 07:13 AM
pretty cool they got almost the entire 10k days album live....very nice

jaggermeister
07-06-2007, 07:14 AM
where's the thread? that's exactly what i want to know.....maybe kabir hates michigan. we must appease his good nature. somebody tell him you love him.

fyi--spatial = special (it's my accent)

this review may include references to 2 days ago at Pine Knob or all the other shows I've been to (I think this one makes #7 since '97)

my 2 cents---they were fucking rocking the first three songs; straight up. the energy was there and they were spot on. (stinkfist came on STRONG). i was expecting something spatial when they did stinkfist exactly like the album version (is that spatial? seems they do that extend-o version quite a bit). then onto schism which started slow for me but pulled me back in with that fast little ditty in the middle.

justin appeared to have some issues with getting the feedback for LK/Rosetta...which is when i said to myself, "The choreography is getting old. They need to keep it real; especially when attempting to recreate a spatial feedback moment..." Why the fuck not? To me it seems like it would make being a rock star less of a job and at least a little more fun--right? Anyhoo--that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it (interpret as "wanted pushit")

10,000 days was next and they can play that all night. Good stuff. Right in 2 got me ga-ga and Lateralus always makes me goo-goo.

captain mayno's antics were up there tonight--gave a long winded speech at the beginning (something having to deal with thumbs). After Lateralus (during which he pulled his toilet paper magic trick and nonchalantly attached said TP to his shoe), "It has been a pleasure this evening. No shit. I wouldn't lie to you. Or would I? Anyway, that was our last song; peace out."). Onto Vicarious; a good way to end the show.

Good luck to Tool and to all you Toolphiles. Call me a daytripper but until they get that new album/DVD/movie out, I'm forced to move on with my life.

Spiral out....

saigonsuicidesquad
07-06-2007, 08:09 AM
great show... lazers were pretty rad.

would have much rather seen flood than the pot, but you can't have everything.

i really enjoyed the seated arrangement. it was nice to be 11 rows back in the center and not have to be kicked in the head, all sweaty and crushed.

big business was a pretty cool opener.

fun.

Rod
07-06-2007, 08:31 AM
pretty cool they got almost the entire 10k days album live....very nice

The most you could hope for this tour.

Rhapsody
07-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Here's a review I found of the show...

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grpress/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-2/1183729810180300.xml&coll=6&thispage=1

teabagger
07-06-2007, 03:40 PM
sucks we dont get a review thread yet, dont want to post a detailed review here so ill just sum it up quickly.

amazing show. no different than any other show this tour from the sounds of it, but i havent seen tool since 02, so it wouldve been impossible to disappoint me really without seriously fucking up. my seats were great, section 120, closest lower bowl section to the stage on Justin's side (exactly where i needed to be). not only did i have a perfect view of the stage, a partial view of backstage, but maynard was facing my section for what seemed to be the first 4-5 songs. Justin is a bass god, what can i say, the shit that comes out of that man's bass is insane! I personally loved the setlist. That seems to be most peoples problem with this tour, but considering this was my 4th tool concert, i've already heard just about everything ive wanted to hear off all the previous albums. respectful crowd, i wouldve like to seen more energy from it from the fans, but that's what will happen without a GA floor i guess.

great night, sick show, extremely fun.....id like to give a more detailed opinion, but it just doesnt seem right outside of the review section

yermammasnutts
07-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Yeah, where the fuck is the review thread?

I would like to leave an opinion, but not sure this the place .

I just wanted to say we saw them at PineKnob 7-3 and it was amazing all together (great seats), we managed to get nosebleeds @ VanAndel and the sound from sec 228 was phenomenal. I could have been blind and that was truely a great show. I have also had much better seats at VA and the sound wasn't as great.

Once again, something to get goose bumps about every time I think about it, for a while, at least.
I'll just be sitting over here, waiting for more, more more more........