PDA

View Full Version : How do you start a band?

Darkend Feeling
07-22-2003, 07:47 PM
I'd really love to start a band. The only problem is that I can't find anyone that can play. I think I can play pretty damn good. I've been playing for two years now. I know my way around the pentatonic scale almost perfectly (as soon as I don't have to think about the notes I'll move on to learning Ionian and all his friends). I play mostly solo stuff, because it's the most fun for me. I'm really into Hendrix and I've just learned "All Along the Watchtower" and "Red House".

So, I think I would make a pretty good asset to any band that needs a guy that can play. But I'm only 15 and I don't really know any musicians. Anyone have any advice on how to start a band? Anyone else live in Memphis?

I've got a few more months until I get to driving age, so I'm hoping that will help out a little bit, but still, how do I find other musicians?

wonko_the_sane
07-22-2003, 08:55 PM
I'd really love to start a band. The only problem is that I can't find anyone that can play. I think I can play pretty damn good. I've been playing for two years now. I know my way around the pentatonic scale almost perfectly (as soon as I don't have to think about the notes I'll move on to learning Ionian and all his friends). I play mostly solo stuff, because it's the most fun for me. I'm really into Hendrix and I've just learned "All Along the Watchtower" and "Red House".

So, I think I would make a pretty good asset to any band that needs a guy that can play. But I'm only 15 and I don't really know any musicians. Anyone have any advice on how to start a band? Anyone else live in Memphis?

I've got a few more months until I get to driving age, so I'm hoping that will help out a little bit, but still, how do I find other musicians?
I've seen a lot of ads posted at Hastings and similar places that read "band looking for blah blah blah", you might try those. I've heard of people putting ads in the paper but I think that's a pretty stupid idea. Go to shows, if there are a lot in your area, talk to people, make connections, tell them you're a guitar player. Either that or you could force your friends to learn drums and bass.

Elgyn
07-22-2003, 09:02 PM
I'd always be suss about placing a newspaper ad, or responding to one. Its possible that you could get some really top people out of it, but you'd have to be fairly critical because there are a lot of people who'd like to be in a band, but who aren't at a good enough level to really cut it. Plus you're going to want to either share common interest, ot be good friends with people in your band, otherwise shit starts flying in all different directions.
I face a similar dilemna, in terms of starting a band because I just don't know enough people who are into the same style as me.

holy reality
07-23-2003, 12:05 PM
you're in school.... so find a drummer in the school band and ask him what type of music he likes...ask all the drummers that... if you find some that are into jazz or tool or just any not quite standard type of drumming, then you have probably found a drummer....

go to choir, find a dude/girl with a nice voice, ask them what their favorite bands are...

now you need a bassist, probably the best place to find one would be like if your school has jazz band or something....

me...

i'm gonna have to look for people wearing tool shirts in my music theory class....

paraflux
07-23-2003, 12:57 PM
Depends on how old you are.

Just dont start a band when you are 20 and leave it 6 years later because it turned out to be the monster you intended to fight with it.

^personal experience^

wonko_the_sane
07-23-2003, 03:08 PM
now you need a bassist, probably the best place to find one would be like if your school has jazz band or something....

The first band I was in recruited me because I "looked like a bass player" damned if they weren't right, too.

holy reality
07-23-2003, 04:20 PM
The first band I was in recruited me because I "looked like a bass player" damned if they weren't right, too.

lol.... i don't look like a guitarist though... i don't have long hair.... actually if anything i look like a bassist.... though i probably don't look like a musician at all....

dark_Speedo
09-02-2005, 05:11 PM
i look like a baboon

Tyro
09-02-2005, 07:05 PM
i look like a baboon

You look like a baboon's snot.

dark_Speedo
09-03-2005, 05:01 AM
or that too.

UtUmNo1
09-03-2005, 05:29 AM
i look like a baboon

This mad me laugh and laugh and laugh.

canadapantsman
09-09-2005, 03:09 PM
well since i didnt know anyone here where i just moved, i just asked a friend if he knew any drummers interested in playing metal. and he did. the end.

Archetypically
09-09-2005, 04:29 PM
This mad me laugh and laugh and laugh.
HAHA me too... a thread that has been dead since 2003 and this asshole just pops in to say "I look like a baboon" I am still laughing.