PDA

View Full Version : Interpreting on MY terms

HumanHerd
12-01-2002, 01:59 AM
This is my first post, and I have decided that this song is one that I really get something out of. I have had Undertow (the album) for years but the song never really touched me in any particular way until after two years of a methamphetamine addiction. The verse 'I've been struck dumb by a voice that speaks from deep beneath endless water thats twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason' represents to ME the addiction calling, like an intelligent, calm friend that only has a nice release to offer ME. It only speaks about the release, the relief, and it defeats my self will. It "gestures and beckons all while swallowing" ME. If I were able to resist, later on I would be "baptised by a voice that SCREAMS from deep beneath the colorless water thats half as high as heaven and half as loud as reason". The addiction would stop being rational and would eat away at me inside until I could no longer hold it off. Before long I would be "back down in the undertow" of the high and angry at myself because "how could I let this bring ME back to my knees?" Only after I was able to kick my habit through (court ordered) drug treatment did I realize what this song really meant to ME. Of course this is probably not what the song is really about, but this is what it means to ME, and isn't Tool about thinking for yourself anyway? Thanks for reading this...hit me back with what you think. Thanks.

Hyatir
12-03-2002, 03:25 PM
yes i think the first part is the temptation beckoning him to sink back into the animal desires and lust that full vulnerability with another offers, that when you are so completely open with someone it can be tempting to hurt them simply becuase you can. the second part however, with being baptized by the voice, i think that voice is the voice of a friend, someone close, crying out for help. to rescue him you must open yourself up again after "going under for the third time" and thus you are back into the undertow