PDA

View Full Version : Wal Basses

wonko_the_sane
07-21-2003, 01:32 PM
Ever since I read about Justin's falling in love with his Wal, I've always wanted to play on one, and see how it felt, but I guess they're uber-exclusive or something, because I can't even find a price for a new one anywhere, and Wal doesn't seem to have an official web site. Shit, I've never even seen one in a store. Does anyone have an idea of stores that do sell them, or their price range, or anything?

swaps
07-21-2003, 08:08 PM
Wal Basses (http://www.walbasses.com) Expect to pay anywhere from £2000-3000 (3200-4800USD) if you order direct. Email them!

Also see: Bass Central (http://www.basscentral.com) // Bass Northwest (http://www.bassnw.com)

conical johnson
07-21-2003, 08:43 PM
Buying direct from any luthier is usually a bad idea if they have distributors. Most of them, including Electric Wood (Wal), have deals with distributors so that it's cheaper through a dist. than direct. This is because a distributor helps a luthier by offering customer service, which a luthier generally can't provide, as well as advertisement.

The place to get a new one is www.basscentral.com Those guys are very highly regarded and tend to have a lot of Wals in stock. Last time I spoke with them, they didn't have any, but had a bunch on order. The disadvantage here is that you don't get to pick everything for yourself; you have to pick out of the stock they have. The advantage is that you don't have to wait for Pete to build you one (lead time for a Wal right now is around 2 years... and will probably be backed up because of his mother's recent death).

I've been lusting after a Wal, but it's on the backburner while I get my custom 10-string (octave/double-five) going. MkIII/5... (tuned tenor) mmm.

There is a "Justin Chancellor" model. It's not an actual signature - he didn't get his free, and it doesn't have his name on it or anything like that, but it's built to his specifications. I think it's ugly (I'm no fan of bird's eye maple - looks like particle board to me), but you might like it.

paraflux
07-23-2003, 01:49 PM
I havent seen a Wal bass up close. But I do have a Warwick, and those are damn fine basses.

wonko_the_sane
07-23-2003, 03:17 PM
I havent seen a Wal bass up close. But I do have a Warwick, and those are damn fine basses.
You have a Warwick *squirt* shit I played one of those and it was heaven. I've got an Ibanez SR 305, which is decent, but I need something better.

paraflux
07-24-2003, 06:49 AM
I bought my 5-String Corvette from some guy online for $750 to replace my Tobias Growler which got stolen on May 30th of this cursed year.

OftenLost
07-30-2003, 12:17 PM
I recently played a fretless Corvette, my god, so beautiful.

Choler
08-07-2003, 04:50 PM
my friend ordered a Wal and just recently got it (a year later) and let me tell you, these basses are freakin amazing. you custom make them and my friend got the low end one, which was in the 2 grand area. The sound these things create is sweet, it brought a whole new sound to our band.

If you are rich I suggest getting one but otherwise I don't know.