PDA

View Full Version : Dare you to play professor...part 1

Wolfman's Imaginary Band
05-02-2007, 02:51 PM
I wrote this for an interpersonal communications course. I feel this is a safe place to share a little of my experiences and what this song means to me. Since I had to analyze only lyrics, I focused on Maynard. Pretend you are a professor and know everything about communication to date, and give me a grade if you're feelin frisky. Thanks to all who share their opinions for it is how we can teach each other. I even copied some diction used by you all, hope you don't mind. Cheers.

Description: The only song that I really want to analyze is ‘The Patient’ by tool. It is on the album ‘Lateralus’ which was released in 2001. Maynard James Keenan is the vocalist and keyboardist in tool. He was born and raised in Ravenna, Ohio, until 10th grade when he moved to Michigan. By the time he joined the army (1982) he had lived in Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, New York, New Jersey, Michigan and Ohio. He attended West Point Military Academy in the class of 1984. Maynard quit the military to study art, and attended the Kendall College of Art & Design, one of the best in Michigan. His artwork was known to be very abstract. He eventually moved to Los Angeles to apply spatial design concepts to remodeling pet stores. There were a number of musical projects that he was involved in during the ‘80s until he met the members of tool. Tool has become one of the most powerful bands of our generation and still many people know nothing of them. Lateralus debuted at number one. Maynard is very much a phantom in that he rarely does interviews. It’s important to understand that the music is the focus of tool. They make their music for themselves, and then share it with fans, unlike most popular bands today. Tool’s music is incomparable to any other band. It is dark, heavy, mathematical, emotional, enlightening, painful, and spiritual. I have many musician friends, and we all know how difficult it is to perfect anyone of their songs. Maynard describes himself as a reactive artist. He says the band makes the music and he provides lyrics as texture to the feeling of the song (television interview). Uninformed fans often rumor that Maynard is the genius that writes everything, and some even think he is a god. He is a genius undeniably, and from my point of view he is as godly as a human can be. It is difficult for me to analyze his lyrics knowing that you probably haven’t heard the song before. It is a much different medium we are working with here, and I’ll do my best, but encourage that you find tool’s music on your own.

Analysis: There are so many levels to this band, and it is impossible to put their meaning into words. In fact, analyzing and debating over meanings is absurd, because we are meant to feel their music. There are so many ways one can look at this song ‘The Patient’, independently or as part of the album, or in the understanding of what ‘tool’ is. Maynard and the band are obviously very enlightened men to do what they do. They have got themselves to a spiritual level higher than any human who has chosen to share their path with me. Their music has done more for me than the teachings of Jesus Christ, if that adds merit to how much I love these guys. Maynard’s lyrics never indicate that we should follow him, but that we should dig deeper inside ourselves because there is much more than you or I have come to understand. There is much more than we are taught by others. There is reality within’ our flesh and minds, and it gets poisoned from the outside. That is why I am a ‘patient’ here.
Upon analyzing the lyrics to ‘The Patient’ I will provide my best guess portraying what they may mean to Maynard, and I will explain what the lyrics mean to me.

Wolfman's Imaginary Band
05-02-2007, 02:53 PM
A groan of tedium escapes me,
Startling the fearful.
Is this a test? It has to be
Otherwise I can’t go on.
Draining patience, drain vitality.
This paranoid, paralyzed vampire act’s a little old.

In my eyes, Maynard is more spiritually connected to the source than any enlightened man who comes back to help other humans. It’s a demoralizing thing to bring himself back ‘down’ to communicate these human emotions. He doesn’t need to; it’s his desire to help us. We, who are trying to survive in a reality created by other humans who embrace power, control, fear and order, rather than love, creativity, tolerance and personal freedom. His “groan of tedium” may be tool’s desire to create an album, for it is the only medium in which they can pull us higher and avoid a world of criticism. I find myself bored in the restriction of modern man’s reality, and it drains my insides out. I have found enlightenment in myself, I know I’ve grasped things that many haven’t, but when I try to communicate these things I am often met with a diagnosis, a ‘scientific’ explanation, or a warning to the dangers of this ‘path’ I am on. Communications professors have been my most recent contributors, which should seem very ironic. Because I embrace love for all, because I can control my own emotions, and choose to expand my mind creatively a warning bell goes off in their heads. They find a way to rationalize my thinking which they will never truly understand. In the process, they try to bring me into their world of thinking and don’t even realize how often they fill my mind with negativity that drains my patience and vitality. Forcing me to analyze situations, analyze people, and analyze my own mind in ways that makes a loving person feel insane. They claim to be open-minded, but don’t understand how they contradict themselves when trying to categorize an open mind. I hope you’re not doing it right now. I often pray that this is a test, because I have so much faith in human beings. I don’t want to be taught how to survive in a world of paranoia, where fear leaves us paralyzed, where we are willing to accept this ‘reality’ that governs the minds and bodies of the majority because we don’t believe we can change it.

But I’m still right here.
Giving blood, keeping faith.
And I’m still right here.

The truth is, I could disappear from this place and be at peace with myself eternally, but I feel that I can make positive changes here. It’s difficult when your only intent in life is to help people, yet others still leave you with stab wounds. They have their shields up to protect their way of thinking, they don’t understand the ‘concept’ of sharing ideas openly, so they lash out at me thinking that I am attacking. All the while, I don’t even have a shield and these things do hurt me.

Wait it out
Gonna wait it out,
Be patient (wait it out).

The only thing that will keep me sane here is patience. And that can only come from within’ myself. This part of the song makes me hopeful, as Maynard is. The hope that we can unify as human beings and create a peaceful world, which is what every human child would look forward to. Throughout childhood, and into adulthood, we are trained to accept this place as it is, and learn how to survive amongst the changing good and evil. Merely survive; rarely do people support one another in making their dreams come true. As we grow up, at least in American culture, the magic of life, our dreams, and creativity slowly get sucked away. Educational institutions say they encourage leadership, but they are following guidelines from higher-ups who don’t want to see leaders emerge that may change the systems in which they receive their power. I am a leader. I am striving for the better good of all humans, and I’m gonna wait it out, rather than disappear or take my own life in disappointment.

If there were no rewards to reap,
No loving embrace to see me through
This tedious path I’ve chosen here
I certainly would’ve walked away by now.
Gonna wait it out.

If there were no desire to heal,
The damaged and broken met along

And I still may… (sigh)… I still may.

Be patient.
I must keep reminding myself of this.

I’ve had recent conversations with a professor in this department that damaged me more than he realized. Upon sharing some of my experiences through writing, some that I’ve shared with you, he felt he knew exactly what category I was in and how to deal with it, so I didn’t go on this path to destruction. He filled my head with the complexities of my path, and told me that I will fail in my endeavors unless I change my ways. He claims he was exactly the same as me when he was my age apparently, which I find absolutely absurd. He almost made me believe that I am some kind of ego-maniac, and that I don’t even share the love that I “preach.” I felt absolutely crushed, and horrified about the future and how to use my mind. Even my friends noticed how much those conversations took a toll on me. I didn’t even want to come outside after that, and it took me weeks to get my confidence back. I couldn’t even play music because I allowed myself to get so confused and weak. All because of his ideas (or ‘concepts’) that he planted in my head. If he would have never done that, I wouldn’t have got depressed again. This is how professors and other credible individuals can really harm people when they think they are helping. When it is easier to label someone’s thoughts as manic than try to really hear what the person is saying, IRONIC. On the bright side, he did tell me about medications that could straighten me out. Unfortunately, all that he knows about me is the little that I’ve shared with him, and I didn’t ask for a diagnosis. What he doesn’t know is that I share love, and receive it in return everyday. I do have friends that embrace me, support me, love and encourage me. I feel very rewarded. ‘This tedious path’ is one that I will continue to follow because it is mine, no one else’s. If I wanted to follow their path I would’ve, but I’ve never found anything spiritually rewarding that way. Just ‘knowledge’, more than I ever wanted.

Maynard is a friend of mine, and I thank him for encouraging me to be true to myself, to what I feel is morally right, and to be patient. I have to remind myself of this everyday, because not many people are willing to believe what I see for the future. I’m not forcing philosophies down anyone’s throat, but I feel I should be able to talk about my dreams. This song to me, explains why interpersonal communication can be so difficult, especially with critical friends and ‘trained professionals.’ I will hear the same damn criticisms from people trained in certain areas as far as I can see into the future. I’m talking about all the ways that people have trained their minds. It’s predictable how critical people will react when I share my ideas. I’m sharing ideas, human to human, not concepts. It is tedious because I know what to expect from these ‘well-informed’ people but I don’t prepare myself for those conflicts. I don’t prepare myself to debate, because living in that fear is extremely limiting, and no matter what anyone says I know that I don’t have to. Maynard is provoking humans (his fans) to wake up and strive for something more beautiful when he says, “I certainly would’ve walked away by now. And I still may…” Hinting that he isn’t going to stick around and make inspiring music forever. At some point he must move on, he must ascend to whatever level of spirituality is next for him. That line explains my feelings about the situation I’m in as well. I’ll be patient, but I’ll disappear before I let man’s reality steal the better part of my life.

Potential: This song is an inspiration to so many tool fans. It is all about the music and the feelings that it creates, so most of this paper is irrelevant unless you make their music a part of your life. They are ‘tools’ in society because they had to sell their souls to make albums to spread the message, but I think their music is a tool to spiritual enlightenment. It’s encouragement to follow your own path no matter what others attempt to convince you of. I visit opinion forums where others share their interpretations of tool’s music, and it has helped me to understand more about their message (whatever it really is), more about this world as commonly accepted, more about myself and how I see this life, and it has helped me to know that there are people out there that refuse to succumb to a shallow reality. Hence, communication is strongly enhanced here. I’ve transformed far more than 3 interpersonal concepts into ideas throughout this paper. I’ve poured my heart out once again, and that’s all that I can give you here.

Gonna wait it out.

Romeda
05-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Very good. Thoroughly describes the song.

There is no spoon
05-02-2007, 05:21 PM
This song is about Maynard taking care of his mother. The Patient is his mother. Plain & simple. Look at the lyrics.

Wolfman's Imaginary Band
05-03-2007, 09:42 AM
oh man, I didn't even realize how plain and simple it is, thanks for clearing things up

RachJacob
05-03-2007, 11:06 AM
(with a tear streaming down my face)
Driving to school one day I was questioning this new belief in my life, all the difficulties, criticism, and the long road ahead of me, when 'The Patient' came on. I decided to turn it up and focus on the music, as the words were streaming into my thoughts the analyst inside of me took over. I started to laugh at yet another tool song putting life into perspective.
I am currently a patient to patience as well as you are, we must keep reminding ourselves of this.

Cheesegreater
05-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Thereisnospoon is a dick. Every single post I EVER seen him EVER make is always some casually rude comment generally stating "You're wrong. It means this. It's plain and simple, so there." Then he goes to another thread to drop another pearl of wisdom.

I thoroughly enjoyed your work. It's not about what "right" interpretation is. It's what the song does for you.

If you really want me to play professor: Any professor can see your angst in this piece. Maybe that's why they give you a hard time and try to tell you that they know what you're doing and have been there before. All older people who talk to young adults tend to think they know exactly what you're going through and want you to start thinking as they do, as if you'd be ahead of the game of life, if they planted their seed in your head. I know what you're going through with having "credible people"/"institutions"/ect.. telling you the proper way to think and behave. I always feel like they're trying to train me to be a cog on some gear, part of this huge machine that I want NO part in. However, the angst will probably work against you for a grade. Essentially, you're really calling out your own professor along with many others and being set in their ways, they are likely to be defensive about it.

See the older professor types... well they grew up in the hippy days when they thought they were going to change the world. It was very unsuccessful. So they hear you and think "Yeah, I remember those days, but it looks like "the man" won that battle." So they hear you and all this Tool nonsense and think, "I need to spare this person the heartache." Well, times change. I know that Tool fans can be a little hippyish, but they are NOT hippies. At least the way your professor would recall them. Tool fans come from every walk of life. What's the "joining" factor? The lyrics really harmonize with countless people's personal experience. Tool, over the years, has been composing a body of art that SUCCINTLY describes the human condition. And that my friend is why so many can relate.

Well, I guess I only half-assed played professor there. Hope it was of some help.

There is no spoon
05-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Hey Cheesegreater - nice swing & a miss by you. Noobies always try to be heroes.

This is a forum, obviously it's an opinion. If it makes you feel better, I'll put "In My Opinion" before each one of my posts.

I.M.O., the song is sung from the perspective of him.

1. This tedios path I've chosen here (last time I checked, nobody chooses to be paralyzed) refers to him taking care of his mother.
2. I certainly would have walked away by now (again, last time I checked, paralyzed people arent walking anywhere) refers to the fact that it is very difficult to take care of her, and he feels like stopping, but never did
3. The vampire is his mother. He's giving blood to her (by taking care of her). Vampires need blood to survive.

Look at the lyrics as a whole.

Why are you looking at previous posts by me?

see you auntie.

RachJacob
05-07-2007, 08:01 AM
'1. This tedios path I've chosen here (last time I checked, nobody chooses to be paralyzed) refers to him taking care of his mother.'
So taking care of your sick mother is a choice????
Keeping in mind the words being used 'I've chosen', leaving the listeners an understanding that what is being done or 'chosen' has not been forced upon him yet 'chosen' by him.

Wolfman's Imaginary Band
05-08-2007, 09:52 PM
I can see your side NoSpoon, maybe you're right, maybe not. This may be hard for you to believe, and it doesn't matter if you do, but I've encountered many paralyzed beings with no signs of physical limitations. Wah????

Cheesegreater
05-10-2007, 08:55 AM
I apoligize Nospoon.

I just think it's a little condescending to say "The Patient is his mother. Plain and simple. Look at the lyrics." when the guy obviously dissected every line in the damn song. Personally, I think it's great that you got that interpretation out of it. By the same token, I'm equally satisfied with the original poster's interpretation. My interpretation? Well, it's different. And that other guy over there? Yeah, his is totally different than mine. One of them isn't more right than the other. I've read the interpretation about this song being about contemplating suicide, and the poster had a really valid argument for that. Now, 10,000 Days I know is about his mother, and maybe this one is too, but at least "The Patient" is a little more open for interpretation. Of course you can take the literal meaning. As in, this song is about a patient in a hospital (his mother) or you can say he's talking about the patient people who must keep reminding themselves to stay that way. I think yours is a mixture of the two. That's cool, double entendres play a big role in Tool songs. Good research, and thanks for yet another way to look at a great song. ;)

MORNING_GLORY
05-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Don't let your professors or Tool aficionados or anyone hold you down Wolfman.
First off, I enjoyed your post. It flowed well, and I think from an outside perspective one could definitely recognize the positive influence Tool has on you.
From what I've read, you seem like an honest and sincere person. Don't let anyone deter that positivity.

Eulogy33
05-30-2007, 09:25 PM
great song.

Ghostwriter
06-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Huh?

RachJacob
07-13-2007, 01:54 PM
I can see your side NoSpoon, maybe you're right, maybe not. This may be hard for you to believe, and it doesn't matter if you do, but I've encountered many paralyzed beings with no signs of physical limitations. Wah????

laughing... Not to exclude ourselves from this statement, from time to time.

Wolfman's Imaginary Band
08-15-2007, 03:09 PM
laughing... Not to exclude ourselves from this statement, from time to time.

Indeed... while I wrote this and for a few months after I was paralyzed myself... a very difficult struggle that I'm happy to have put behind me for the time. The encouragement from you strangers I'd like to call friends is what sticks with me now. Hope all is well boys and girls.

Black
09-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Wolfman, I admire your introspection and dedication to delving into the depths of this song. I think you are close to the idea I have always had for what this song means.

What it means to me is, Maynard is reminding himself to be patient, to work through this life, rather than abandon it.

The idea that the life we have is a "choice" comes from the concept of reincarnation. Within the precepts of reincarnation is the idea that before we come back to a new physical life spent on earth, we make a conscious choice of what kind of life we need to live to advance us on our path to complete enlightenment. So one may choose a difficult life in order to solve some problem one failed to solve in a previous life.

When Maynard sings:
If there were no rewards to reap,
No loving embrace to see me through
Gonna wait it out.

If there were no desire to heal,
The damaged and broken met along

He speaks repeatedly about the tedious path he has chosen here. What I see him saying is that the few small rewards he receives for sticking with this tedious existence here on earth are barely worth the effort. He follows this up with the lines "And I still may. And I still may."-- referring to the choice of leaving this life if he so desires. Which to me says that he hasn't ruled out the idea of abandoning this life.......but that he really knows he needs to be patient. He knows he needs to keep working at it, or nothing wil have been gained in this lifetime.

To me, it's always been a deeply metaphysical song, about suffering and struggling with the difficulties of life, and trying to adhere to one's principles of sticking it out through the tough times. "Gonna wait it out."

I don't know. An awful lot of my take is influenced by my own struggles with patience and with wishing for this particular life to be over so I could move on to whatever lies beyond. I have always felt like Maynard may be one of the few people who actually understands that life here on earth is not the real deal, and that something far greater lies beyond.

OK....that's my take. It is one of my favorite songs. I apreciate your effort.

Black

miketh74
09-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Wow.....you all are great at interpreting your ideas of the song. It hasn't touched me as deeply, but I can identify. Patience is a virtue....as they say.

I must admit, I am somewhat envious of people that can put their thoughts into words that eloquently. As I said, beautiful interpretations guys/gals.

Wolfman's Imaginary Band
09-27-2007, 12:02 PM
We can all identify without the I's to push us deeper through the lies til we rise and let the moment be our lord. never bored.

skippidy diddity dong, I just wrote a song, I'm a fucking tool now and sound around me rules now, and peace is sweeping all as the plastic castles fall

Tool_Is_Sick
09-29-2007, 01:07 PM
I totally didnt understand what you said lol but it was pretty catchy thanks for that. It made me smile. Peace

Wolfman's Imaginary Band
10-09-2007, 01:26 PM
it is like when your windshield wipers are a swipin while you're listening to 50 cent, but your wipers are .318 milliseconds off the beat so you gotta wait 15 seconds for the next 3 seconds of harmonious rhythm. that's what it's like Tool_Is_Ill. Peace indeed.

Tool_Is_Sick
10-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Wow...you have a special gift. Very mysterious person I must say. You have some of the most fucked up but awesome posts Ive ever read. Good Day Wolfgirl's Imaginary Penis.

seemyshadowchanging
10-10-2007, 05:50 AM
Wolf,I agree your post is very well thought out and very clearly stated.Ive always listened to this song and depending on what mood I was in,the song had several different meanings to it.I live in a small redneck town where basically you have a bunch of nascar loving,confederate flag flying,one track minded IDIOTS that see a tool shirt and always have some remark about,"I wonder what tool his shirt means,a wrench hammer,ha ha ha".I guess my point is I have a great job in this town,make good money,but sometimes wonder if I have made the right decision and often tell myself,"Gonna wait it out".Never sell yourself out,stay true to yourself and good things will always come of it.

Wolfman's Imaginary Band
10-16-2007, 07:48 PM
Gee thanks, ya'll r kinda nice. Can rednecks see their shadows changing? Yeeee haw, they good for laughin at

miketh74
11-05-2007, 06:59 AM
Gee thanks, ya'll r kinda nice. Can rednecks see their shadows changing? Yeeee haw, they good for laughin at

LOL....that there post was a goodin.

:)

Inner_Eulogy
11-05-2007, 03:54 PM
I wrote this for an interpersonal communications course. I feel this is a safe place to share a little of my experiences and what this song means to me. Since I had to analyze only lyrics, I focused on Maynard. Pretend you are a professor and know everything about communication to date, and give me a grade if you're feelin frisky. Thanks to all who share their opinions for it is how we can teach each other. I even copied some diction used by you all, hope you don't mind. Cheers.

Description: The only song that I really want to analyze is ‘The Patient’ by tool. It is on the album ‘Lateralus’ which was released in 2001. Maynard James Keenan is the vocalist and keyboardist in tool. He was born and raised in Ravenna, Ohio, until 10th grade when he moved to Michigan. By the time he joined the army (1982) he had lived in Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, New York, New Jersey, Michigan and Ohio. He attended West Point Military Academy in the class of 1984. Maynard quit the military to study art, and attended the Kendall College of Art & Design, one of the best in Michigan. His artwork was known to be very abstract. He eventually moved to Los Angeles to apply spatial design concepts to remodeling pet stores. There were a number of musical projects that he was involved in during the ‘80s until he met the members of tool. Tool has become one of the most powerful bands of our generation and still many people know nothing of them. Lateralus debuted at number one. Maynard is very much a phantom in that he rarely does interviews. It’s important to understand that the music is the focus of tool. They make their music for themselves, and then share it with fans, unlike most popular bands today. Tool’s music is incomparable to any other band. It is dark, heavy, mathematical, emotional, enlightening, painful, and spiritual. I have many musician friends, and we all know how difficult it is to perfect anyone of their songs. Maynard describes himself as a reactive artist. He says the band makes the music and he provides lyrics as texture to the feeling of the song (television interview). Uninformed fans often rumor that Maynard is the genius that writes everything, and some even think he is a god. He is a genius undeniably, and from my point of view he is as godly as a human can be. It is difficult for me to analyze his lyrics knowing that you probably haven’t heard the song before. It is a much different medium we are working with here, and I’ll do my best, but encourage that you find tool’s music on your own.

Analysis: There are so many levels to this band, and it is impossible to put their meaning into words. In fact, analyzing and debating over meanings is absurd, because we are meant to feel their music. There are so many ways one can look at this song ‘The Patient’, independently or as part of the album, or in the understanding of what ‘tool’ is. Maynard and the band are obviously very enlightened men to do what they do. They have got themselves to a spiritual level higher than any human who has chosen to share their path with me. Their music has done more for me than the teachings of Jesus Christ, if that adds merit to how much I love these guys. Maynard’s lyrics never indicate that we should follow him, but that we should dig deeper inside ourselves because there is much more than you or I have come to understand. There is much more than we are taught by others. There is reality within’ our flesh and minds, and it gets poisoned from the outside. That is why I am a ‘patient’ here.
Upon analyzing the lyrics to ‘The Patient’ I will provide my best guess portraying what they may mean to Maynard, and I will explain what the lyrics mean to me.

That whole thing was basically copy and pasted word for word from a prior bio I've read. C-H-E-A-P

Wolfman's Imaginary Band
11-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Well, it met the requirements for a college paper back in May of this year. Due to limited information on the members of tool, that is what I used. Thanks for reading, and I'll take note. Next time I write another essay on "The Patient" I'll do my best to consider those with expensive taste. P-E-A-C-E

Wolfman's Imaginary Band
11-05-2007, 05:02 PM
That whole thing was basically copy and pasted word for word from a prior bio I've read. C-H-E-A-P

You ain't mad cuz I wuz pokin fun at rednecks were ya?

miketh74
11-09-2007, 10:36 PM
<In a redneck voice> mayonnaise some shit thar.

Hee haw.

Tool_Is_Sick
11-13-2007, 06:30 PM
I listened to this song today for the first time in about 2 months..I love this song so much. It got me through many hard times in my life.

Whenever I feel depressed about anything...I always listen to number three and it always lifts me up.

I recommend this song to anyone going through a hard time.

Wolfman's Imaginary Band
11-13-2007, 08:14 PM
definitely, it comes to me when I'm upset and echoes through my mind, helps me to not do or say anything that I'd regret, at some point Eugoly kicks in and I point my finger toward my heart and start over purified. Thanks tool, nice of you to take the time to affect my life positively.

miketh74
11-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Tool has very positive effects on anyone willing to listen close to their tunes. They are truly unique compared to most bands out there.

RachJacob
11-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Indeed... while I wrote this and for a few months after I was paralyzed myself... a very difficult struggle that I'm happy to have put behind me for the time. The encouragement from you strangers I'd like to call friends is what sticks with me now. Hope all is well boys and girls.

Glad to hear it's over! Keep on truckin.

Wolfman's Imaginary Band
11-25-2007, 11:34 PM
mighty kind of ya RacJac, how are you today?

RachJacob
12-08-2007, 04:59 PM
mighty kind of ya RacJac, how are you today?

Paralized vampire these days, but I am sure a cure (in other words my self) will come around sooner or later. Thanks for asking!