PDA

View Full Version : Schism dvd

tampke04
04-29-2007, 08:44 PM
On the Schism dvd, there is a very strange occurence in the lyrics on the remix video. Initially, when you purchase the dvd, without navigating it much, you pretty much think it is crap. But never such is the case with Tool.

If you are familiar with the dvd, there are three different icons to choose on the menu -
1.) Normal Schism video 2.) Schism video with ranting and pointless double-layered commentary by David Yow and 3.) a remix of Schism

Now this third icon on the dvd takes some patience. The whole track has no moving animation whatsoever, and there is no sign of any activity for a couple minutes. This is why many people disregard this track altogether. But then distorted voices come in and lead into a slick mainly instrumental remix of Schism.

Now what is really tight about this third track is that for one you cannot rewind or fast forward the track, and Maynard does something slippery at the end. At the finale of the track, which has to be about 20 mins long, Maynard recites the "Cold silence has..." lines but does it like this:
"Cold silence has,
a tendency to,
atrophy any,
a tendency to..."
And then the track ends. So then if your like "wtf" did he just repeat that, you can't rewind it and have to watch it all over again. It's pretty strange, but its a really neat remix of the song. I hope that I haven't wasted anybodys time by posting this, but it trips me out that he did that. But as with all Tool material, I don't know what it means or why he did it but I'm pretty sure he didn't just "mess up" ya know. This was kinda reassuring as to how the Tool fan is always searching for something deeper and if you look hard enough, we'll find it. You never know what the Tool crew will slip in there for us. Anyways, my first post ever - cheers. Peace

hushypushy
04-30-2007, 09:34 AM
1. Yes, it is about 20 minutes. 20:18, says the copy on my computer.
2. I never noticed this...maybe because now I just skipped to that part, and before it took 19 minutes of boredom to get there.
3. It's a remix, yeah? So that's why some stuff is rearranged. There is also a slowed down version of the intro riff at the end too...it's neat, but don't get too excited :P
4. It's funny to me how you define the commentary as "ranting and pointless" and then give rave reviews of the remix. I actually bought these single DVDs specifically for the commentary, because I had heard they were amazing. And I totally loved them. I was at my friend's apartment and we were showing some people the commentaries and they loved it, so we decided to all listen to the remix because we'd never heard it. So we turned off the TV (because there are no visuals), turned up the speakers, and waited. And waited. And waited. This is the most boring remix ever, we were so stoned at the time so we didn't realize it, but after about 10 or 15 minutes, someone said "are we still listening to the menu music?" and it turned out it was actually this remix. Actually, I'd much rather listen to the menu music.