PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts

CrymsonInnocence
07-19-2003, 06:13 PM
This is about Maynard being thankful to be a part of the revolution of consciousness. I’m reminded of the 46&2 theory here, where he’s excited to be a part of the evolving generation. The body he speaks of is the consciousness and the moment is the revolution of mind. The definition of Parabol is “a simple story illustrating a moral or religious lesson.” I think one should take this to heart when thinking of the quaballistic theories in addition to the tree of life concept.

vecima
08-17-2003, 09:49 PM
This is about Maynard being thankful to be a part of the revolution of consciousness. I’m reminded of the 46&2 theory here, where he’s excited to be a part of the evolving generation. The body he speaks of is the consciousness and the moment is the revolution of mind. The definition of Parabol is “a simple story illustrating a moral or religious lesson.” I think one should take this to heart when thinking of the quaballistic theories in addition to the tree of life concept.
you could be right though if im not mistaken parable is the sp of a story
maybe both spellings are accepted

Luna Galapogos
09-05-2003, 05:12 PM
So familiar and overwhelmingly warm
This one, this form I hold now.
Embracing you, this reality here,
This one, this form I hold now, so
Wide eyed and hopeful.
Wide eyed and hopefully wild.

Ok, the vagina is familiar and overwhelmingly warm, this one that he is holding now could be his wife, or whoever he is screwing. Embracing her, the reality that he is experiencing, he is very hopeful for sex or even a child to come.

We barely remember what came before this precious moment,
Choosing to be here right now. Hold on, stay inside...
This body holding me, reminding me that I am not alone in
This body makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

When your doing it you forget how it came to be, just that you are doing it, and that you chose to be doing it, you want to hold on and stay inside for as long as possible, she reminds you that you aren't alone, she makes you feel eternal and at this point, pain is an illusion, it doesn't exist.

learist
09-06-2003, 03:57 PM
Actually the word parable comes from the late latin word: parabola. It means: a usually short fictitious story that illustrates a moral attitude or a religious principle. As for the word parabol, all I can think of is that it means that it is just part of the word parabola and thus part of the parable. In other words, the two tracks should be counted as one song in my opinion. I think there is meaning in the way the music has a sudden change from mellow to hard. Think about it.

Luna Galapogos
09-14-2003, 12:07 AM
I never said that I was right, I'm probably never right. Just thoughts. Thoughts to be confirmed or dissproved.

learist
09-14-2003, 09:27 AM
I never said I was right either. I was just trying to "add to the pot." So to speak.

neochrist
09-23-2003, 10:17 PM
to be more specific, a parabola is a symmetrical geometrical curve in which the lines of curvature go infinately in one direction coming closer and closer to an invisible line it never intersects. i find similarties with this and the lyrics when maynard says that he is not alone, as in there are two sides of a parabola both going in the same direction, and that he is eternal, just as the parabola is eternal or infinite.

david murphy
10-05-2003, 09:40 PM
Just adding my thoughts as the new guy on the team. Tool's music, as we all know, is different for each listener. All songs and ideas hit you in different ways. For me, Parabol/Parabola is about the beginning stages of a relationship that develops into something hot. Most of tool's work I relate to past,present,and future events and ideas in my life. When I hear these 2 songs, I reflect on a very hot past relationship with my ex. The lyrics and music fit perfectly. You start all quiet and wide eyed in Parabol and get all hot in Parabola, eventually winding down and reflecting on the experience. Seems like a good night to me. Just my thoughts.

spiraleyes
10-08-2003, 09:42 AM
A parable is a short story about religion, and if you look at the lyrics this song along with parabola could be interpreted as maynards reviews of religion

AllforUnity
10-09-2003, 09:36 PM
As l see...the definition of the words Parabol and Parabola, are all correct...because there are different definitions for each. A Parable is a story illistrating morals and religion. And a Parabola is a Geometric curve...as l'm sure we all learned in very fun Algebra 2...l personally think the song is explaining both...

Parabol: l see this as a teaching, or reminder of some sort, that we are living, and we should never take for granite significant, or insignificant moments that we experience in life. l think the explaination of "This form l hold now" is referring to the fact that when you've matured mentally, you hold a different form to yourself...and you're "Wide eyed and hopeful" because you're open-minded to everything. And you're just waiting to see what new things will come upon next, because you realize that you really know nothing, and with this realization, you want to learn.

Parabola: l see this song as an explaination of becoming more intuitive, or CURVING your mind to new things, and experiences, and realizing that living ISN'T a bad thing, and you should be thankful for it.

As for "We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion..." Well...that's one of my favorite quotes. Because pain is what you make of it.

Thank you for veiwing my ideas. :)

g-bay-be
10-17-2003, 08:29 PM
HMM? it seems that everyone has left behind thefact that this song is beautiful! its soft and very musical... we tend to focus in on maynards words.... But i often see that the music tell more about what maynard is saying than what we read. Think about H. where he suddenly get soft when the walls come down. In this song its starts soft and crsendos into a solid metzo piano. the song is also very slow. now consider what he is saying.

'we barely remember. what came before this precious moment"

Now why would this song be so slow.... maybe to give us a second to remember where we came from!

use the music to lead you... see the whole picture

Cylith
10-30-2003, 07:13 PM
Wide eyed and hopeful.

Ok, the vagina is familiar and overwhelmingly warm, this one that he is holding now could be his wife, or whoever he is screwing. Embracing her, the reality that he is experiencing, he is very hopeful for sex or even a child to come.

We barely remember what came before this precious moment,
Choosing to be here right now. Hold on, stay inside...
This body holding me, reminding me that I am not alone in
This body makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

When your doing it you forget how it came to be, just that you are doing it, and that you chose to be doing it, you want to hold on and stay inside for as long as possible, she reminds you that you aren't alone, she makes you feel eternal and at this point, pain is an illusion, it doesn't exist.

I have thought for some time now, that Parabol and Parabola are about making love and being with the one you love....

This song is also religious in nature to me...saying how we are eternal and that pain is an illusion...to me that is saying that this life here is nothing compared to the afterlife. I think this relates to the making love aspect of the song because truly making love is something God intended...and it's divince and so close to heaven.

Cylith
10-30-2003, 07:20 PM
Tool's music, as we all know, is different for each listener. All songs and ideas hit you in different ways.

This sound pretty good to me...

For Example:

I have heard that there is some cult of Satanists who are all big fans of Tool. (I don't know if this is true, and have nothing to back it up.) If this rumor is true, than there are people out there who must be identifying with something in Tool's music that is Satanic.

For me, especially in the Lateralus album, I find many strong Christian values...I happen to be Christian, and so I identify with the music in that way.

RRed
11-08-2003, 08:10 PM
This sound pretty good to me...

For Example:

I have heard that there is some cult of Satanists who are all big fans of Tool. (I don't know if this is true, and have nothing to back it up.) If this rumor is true, than there are people out there who must be identifying with something in Tool's music that is Satanic.

For me, especially in the Lateralus album, I find many strong Christian values...I happen to be Christian, and so I identify with the music in that way.

Well you should do a little more research into this band, but keep an open mind cuz with your back ground you may not like what you find. But fear is the mind killer, right? So don't be afraid of what you find or come to find out. Also often times the 'term' Satanism is a misnomer and the mere conotation hardens the minds of others and prevents them from truely discovering what this belief system is. I my self am not a Satanist but there are a lot of intersting things to be said of this system. To tell you the truth my father is a pastor at a big non-denominational christain church so I guess I can say I'm biased and little emotionaly charged when I say 'fear is the mind killer'. So I encourage you to broaden your territory and expand your borders challenge yourself to explore other religions and beliefs.

RRed

x7 Lateralus 7x
01-21-2004, 05:08 PM
Wide eyed and hopeful.

^this was written after he had his first/second child...right?
holding ur own son is awesome, well i think it would be... im only 16 but i bet that holding a human being is somewhat warm.
idk but is it about holding his child? how his child resembles himself (so familiar, and overwhelmingly warm), how he hopes that his child will be so great in the end->(wide eyed and hopefully wild...) if it is about his son(s), maybe he wants them to see what he sees in everything (wide eyed) and maybe he wants them to be different and seperate themselves from other humans and what they consider appropriate -> (wide eyed, and hopefully WILD.) wild and not tamed.

we barely remember, what came before this precious moment, we are choosing to be here, right now, hold on, stay inside. this body, holding me, reminding me that i am not alone. this body, makes me feel, eternal all this pain is an illusion...

he barely remembers the hardships he's had b4 his son(s), maybe having a son was all he needed to forget the past? and choose to be in the present? he's holding his son at this moment as he sings "this body, holding me, reminding me that i am not alone." "holding me"....aka holding himself, his own blood, doesnt make him feel alone now that there is another one of him. "this
body, makes me feel, eternal all this pain is an illusion." again, he forgot about the past, became more wise, his sons opened his eyes and made him a much happier person.

idk just thoughts....and idk if someone else came up w/ this idea for this song.

AllforUnity
01-23-2004, 12:02 PM
That's interesting...babies are indeed wide eyed and hopefully wild...but l don't know, because his child would have been about 5 when he made the record. But it's an idea, l like it.