hateandvaseline
11-30-2002, 07:25 PM
What is that 'banging noise'?

UniDeaL
12-07-2002, 07:00 PM
what noise? hmmm...

hateandvaseline
12-09-2002, 01:04 PM
That perpetual, annoying noise. It's almost like the sound of a large object being repeatedly hit.

NegativeIons
12-09-2002, 01:43 PM
They could've taken a sample of someone bashing a telephone against the side of a counter or table-top and added compression...or just amplified it...that's what I see in my head anyway; this guy/girl getting so pissed off at the LAMC voice messaging service....after pressing their desired number multiple times...finally getting fed up and just bashing the phone against the counter.

ShackledEidolon
12-09-2002, 02:12 PM
are you asking what it IS or what it represents? Cause im pretty sure it IS a guitar. It may however represent tedium (gets the point across nicely) and it may infact sound like a phone bashed on a counter top

hateandvaseline
12-13-2002, 02:57 AM
It sounds more like a large machine, or large metal object for that matter.

Systolic
12-13-2002, 05:57 PM
Adam Jones is scraping his low E string, as is Justin, and Danny is hitting the snare and the bass drum... Its that simple!

A few buddies and I have recreated the sound precisely with the aforementioned items.

Tool's not always out to get you! =P

SonOfWillieTheP
12-29-2002, 06:22 PM
Doesn't matter. It makes the track a whole lot more listenable. Just as the banging noises in Disgustipated. I also like Ministry, just pulsating noise, so maybe that's the point...

svet-am
03-20-2004, 05:54 AM
It sounds more like a large machine, or large metal object for that matter.

It's not quite a machine. It's a square wave at several hundred megahertz. If you've seen the move Contact, this is the way the aliens communicated with the Earth.

This is also the kind of signal that the SETI scientists listen for at radio observatories like Araceibo (sp?).

Square wave are not generally naturally occuring, so finding one in 'nature' like the stars is generally considered to be a sign of intelligent life.

In Contact, they took this one step further an applied math to the repetition of the 'beats.'

BTW, a signal like this is pretty easy to create in a computer program like PSpice, Mathematica, MatLab, or even ProTOOLS. All you have to do is specify the wave type (square) and some wave in the order of many megahertz.

To understand it, don't think of the 'beats' as one 'beat', it's actually many thousand of them (at a high intensity) and they occur so rapidly together that your ears interperet them as one beat.

Shinji
07-17-2007, 01:42 AM
Does it mean it's a ET trying to communicate with humans ?