PDA

View Full Version : misunderstanding

analognostic
07-17-2003, 04:55 PM
I think the main theme of this song is misinterpreting things you hear and problems caused by such. This is a frequently used issue used in other TOOL albums (i.e. AEnemia), and I think, though not as obviously, in Prison Sex.

Disclaimer: I have never seen the Prison Sex video, so I don't know if this interpretation correlates or not.

The creaking at the very beginning is someone entering a prison cell, while the musical intro shows a passing of time before we see the narrarator. After the intro, he (the narrrarator) is collecting his thoughts and in a severe physical (and possibly mental) state, caused by someone abusively raping him.

HERE IS THE MISINTERPRETATION:
What comes next is a direct reference to a frequently mistinterpreted christian ethic children are taught to live by: the golden rule (Do unto others as you would have them do unto you). In this song, the rule is misquoted: "Do unto others, what has been done to you", and presumptively misinterpreted by the just-raped narrarator. While worded very similarly, the meanings of these two phrases is very different: that intended "Treat others as you would like to be treated", versus: that percieved "Treat others as you have been treated".

Misinterpretation or not, e needs to rest to recover from this traumatic experience "I'm treading water, I need to sleep awhile".

Next, while asleep, the narrarator is dreaming about, and we get a retrospective visual description of, his rape via his aggressor's point of view. The event is told from beginning: "My lamb and martyr" to end, "For one sweet moment I am whole (fading out)".

The narrarator wakes wakes up thinking the golden rule (and reasonably so), as the rule is taught by your parents as a rule to live your life by. His tone has changed, though, as he is ready to take action against someone in retaliation "do unto you, what has been done to me". The next line, "Your breathing, so I guess you're still alive, even if signs seem to tell me otherwise" seems misplaced here. Possibly the narrarator talking to himself to show he is still pretty battered.

His actions the rest of the way are very similar to those committed against him. As in the dream, he is first trying to convince his victim to submit (from "won't you come" to "peace of mind") by way of non-agressive persuasion. The importance of the golden rule is shown here again, where the narrarator says that this religious ethic is one he must live by to make everything O.K. "Only this one holy medium brings me peace of mind".

Whether neccessary or not, the narrarator binds his victim as he was, just before the song climaxes at the end (which is also probably symbollic of a sexual act being performed).

The sinister tone change at the end of the song, coupled with the graphic "hands" visual illustrates how the narrarator is rethinking what he has done. But, "come round, full circle" shows that this act will make things right. Even so, he realizes the harm he is causing and trys to calm his victim as the song fades out.

This theory could lead to further debate on many levels such as: Unconsentual Sodomy in Prisons, Human Survival Instinct, Existence and History as Cyclical Ocurrences and Christian Morals.

I think personally, that the song is a warning (as mentioned above) that misunderstandings can have dire consequences. (As a reference, you may want to check this out as a theme with "Die Ier Von Satan")