PDA

View Full Version : I FAST FOrward through the quiet part of this song...

DON IOTAE
04-18-2007, 12:48 PM
... and this is the only Tool song where I do that.

Any care to give explanations on why this part of the song is there? If I understand it better, maybe I'll stop FF.

slamminsalmon
04-18-2007, 01:03 PM
i forget its still ticks and leeches so i turn it up, then it comes back and blows me outta my seat.

DON IOTAE
04-18-2007, 01:05 PM
haha nice.

edit: how's the shit goin down in maine, salmon?

slamminsalmon
04-18-2007, 01:31 PM
cant complain!

btw did you know there is like 5000+ species of insects in the costa rican rain forest?

LOOKOUT!

DON IOTAE
04-18-2007, 01:33 PM
yep

i live far from the rainforest, tho.

and even if you're there, you see less than 10% of that figure, so

how did it go with you promotion? did you take it?

goatboystrikesback
04-18-2007, 03:17 PM
... and this is the only Tool song where I do that.

Any care to give explanations on why this part of the song is there? If I understand it better, maybe I'll stop FF.
I see it as the "eye of the storm". The calm after the initial onslaught, and before the next.

slamminsalmon
04-18-2007, 03:56 PM
yep

i live far from the rainforest, tho.

and even if you're there, you see less than 10% of that figure, so

how did it go with you promotion? did you take it?

actually took a temp job as a greenhouse laborer and working my way into kidspeace

eapatty01
04-18-2007, 04:01 PM
I like that part. I also like the "calm before the storm". As it goes on you can just feel it coming...cause it HAS to.

Aside from that, I just like that guitar part quieted down. It's nice to listen to.

Arkham Asylum
04-18-2007, 05:15 PM
I listen to it because of the mellower, quieter sound and for Maynard screaming his brains out like there's no tomorrow behind the music.

slamminsalmon
04-18-2007, 05:22 PM
I like that part. I also like the "calm before the storm". As it goes on you can just feel it coming...cause it HAS to.

Aside from that, I just like that guitar part quieted down. It's nice to listen to.

lol wut happened?

DON IOTAE
04-18-2007, 05:22 PM
actually took a temp job as a greenhouse laborer and working my way into kidspeace

cool.

I see it as the "eye of the storm". The calm after the initial onslaught, and before the next.

yeah, i guess I could see it like that. But what do you think was going through the guy's mind when he composed it? If that's what it was, it seems pretty simple to me, and maybe I would've made it a bit shorter.

Elgyn
04-18-2007, 06:54 PM
I think it's composed the way it is to provide contrast with the section it leads up to, and I personally like it and think it fits. Not my favourite Tool song though.

DON IOTAE
04-19-2007, 05:23 AM
is there a calm moment when, say, the ticks and leeches are eating you up?

Cheesegreater
04-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Here Iota, I have your explanation.

Think of what this song is about. It's about users, people who suck every last drop of vitality out of your soul. Users are generally not very abrasive people, they just latch on and suck and slowly but surely, you're patience will run thin. That's what this song is about: Patience running thin and lashing out in anger.

The energy(anger) in this song is very evident from the beginning. He just goes on about being sucked dry and taken advantage of and you can feel his frustration. So back to the quiet part of the song.

During this quiet part you can hear a subdued screaming coming from Maynard as well as "suck me dry" being sung very faintly towards the end. I think this part of the song is just eximplifying that he has indeed been sucked dry. He's lost his energy, and doesn't know what to do.

Then in the end he decides to blow the forces that drain him completely out of the water with his anger. So think of that last part. Would you want to bum something from that guy? Would you want to try to con a guy like that? I think not.

He's quiet and drained one moment and going postal the next. Great stuff. :)

DON IOTAE
04-19-2007, 10:56 AM
NICE.

i like it. makes sense, too. i like it when tool does simple meaning songs like this one, you know? nothing metaphysical and shit, just plain ol' anger and stuff...

thanks, cheese.

Cheesegreater
04-20-2007, 10:19 AM
No prob.

I love it when they keep it simple too. Considering how metaphysical/spiritual this album is, it helps for the band to encompass the whole range of human emotion. Anger is a fundamental emotion and should never be over-looked.

I can also sense anger in the Grudge as well. I realize he's making a statement about how destructive grudges are, but at the same time he's expressing his utter frustration with people who hold them against others.

DON IOTAE
04-20-2007, 12:48 PM
it's hard, though... letting go of a grudge. hence the song.

;)

DON IOTAE
02-25-2008, 08:03 AM
i don't do this anymore.

lock thread plzy

BonJenko
03-24-2008, 07:35 PM
I don't know, but I was thinking of that as well.

When I get mental images of the song, I see a guy who has been so drained that he has fainted, and the music slamming back in is him coming back to life, getting up, and daring the "ticks and leeches" to suck on this some more.

Maybe the gap is there to show his endurance. Like.. How after all of his blood being drained, hes still standing.

Or perhaps its meant to suggest that hes been sucked into oblivion, and moving on into the afterlife.
Your guess is as good as mine.

It is my favorite song though.

EDIT: Just read Cheesegrater's post, and I realize that mine is very similar to his. In different ways though.. Its important to take your own perspective on the music, because the only interpretation that matters is your own.
Especially the lines "Is this what you wanted? Is this what you had in mind? Cause this is what you're getting"