PDA

View Full Version : Rosseta Stoned and Nine Inch Nail's "Warning"

souldaddy
04-11-2007, 12:36 PM
I was listening to the new NIN album, Year Zero, and it has a song called Warning. The themes in the song are very familiar to the minor themes in Rosetta Stoned. The whole aliens are coming and want us to straighten ourselves out thing.

Anyone else see this and possible more?

I love you all.

Opiate Son
04-11-2007, 03:43 PM
I haven't heard it yet but i can't wait to, how is the new record?

MoreTool
04-11-2007, 07:33 PM
"The Warning"

Some say it was a warning
Some say it was a sign
I was standing right there
When it came down from the sky
They were expecting us
We felt it from inside
Said it was up to us
Up to us to decide

You've become a virus
That's eaten up its host
We've been watching you with all our eyes
And what you seem to value most
"I don't want your attention," so you used to say
Your greed, self-importance and your elegance
Wish it all way

May be a crime
We've come to intervene
You can change your ways
And we will wipe this place clean

Your time is tick-tick-ticking away

MoreTool
04-11-2007, 07:33 PM
the end of time / the warning, some connections

nabiliofadilio
04-11-2007, 07:51 PM
i like the lyrics
definite similarity to rosseta stoned.the aliens giving us a chance to save ourselves
though trent reznor remembered the message. haha

TWENTY-THREE
04-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Uh-oh.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
04-11-2007, 09:39 PM
NIN sucks...They battled TOOL on the radio the other day 2 songs by each band (Vicarious and Schism) and NIN played (hand that feeds and something else) and TOOL got 75% of the votes so yeah whatever NIN is horrible if you ask me. There was NO comparison at all when TOOL was played and then NIN right after...but once again that is my opinon. Cheers.

white horse
04-11-2007, 09:54 PM
The Warning is related to The Presence (the weird hand shaped thing) ***. I dont see any connection with Rosetta Stoned.

plexus
04-11-2007, 10:00 PM
The Warning is related to The Presence (the weird hand shaped thing) ***. I dont see any connection with Rosetta Stoned.

The Presence is a phenomenon associated with the fictional drugs parapin and opal in the year zero world. Hallucinogenic drugs that are said to cause spiritual experiece.

Rosetta Stoned > LSD, DMT, X > ET intervention
The Warning > Parapin, Opal > The Presence

Made your connection.

Perhaps the ET and the Presence are both unreal manifestations of the psyche reaching out as a metaphor to pull us out of our dire situation we're in.

white horse
04-11-2007, 10:20 PM
oh geez, go back to voting furiously for tool on band madness or whatever.

yeah, I forgot about parepin. i haven't been following the YZ game as much as I'd have liked.

plexus
04-11-2007, 11:06 PM
its funny how i give my opinon on something and i even say "but still this is my opinon" on the post and some douchebag like yourself had to give your 10 cents on what you think about my disliking of NIN. They have always sucked in my OPINON so BLOW ME if you dont like it. thanks buddy. Only "I wanna fu*k you like an animal" was worth listening too.

P.S. Go do some more drugs so they can warp your mind into thinking NIN is AWESOME so you can get off this website for TOOL and leave your ignorant comments to yourself. im sorry your vagina hurt there for a sec. Cheers.

Only "I wanna fu*k you like an animal" was worth listening too.

That statement alone turned my thinking from "maybe i was too hash, maybe hes not a clear-channel-listening tool, and just doesnt like nine inch nails" to "this guy's opinion isnt worth the 2 kilobytes of space it took to store it in this thread." Go back to listening to your favorite singles on the radio. Freak on a Leash or When I Come Around or something.

why cant you give your opinion and just accept it when someone tells you your opinion is shit. THATS JUST MY OPINION. ass.

P.S. I just smoked a bowl and am listening to NIN... fucking AWESOME! thank god for drugs.

paraflux
04-12-2007, 05:52 AM
NIN sucks...They battled TOOL on the radio the other day 2 songs by each band (Vicarious and Schism) and NIN played (hand that feeds and something else) and TOOL got 75% of the votes so yeah whatever NIN is horrible if you ask me. There was NO comparison at all when TOOL was played and then NIN right after...but once again that is my opinon. Cheers.

So... public opinion dictates to you what is good and bad?

Opiate Son
04-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Now i REALLY can't wait to hear the new Nine Inch Nails!

justfar1086
04-12-2007, 11:29 AM
2012?

toolwithapenis
04-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Year Zero is the Best Fuckin Album ive heard in a long time
you can listen to the whole thing on there myspace page or you can just pirate it

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
04-12-2007, 04:13 PM
So... public opinion dictates to you what is good and bad?

ITS MY OPINON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow. I never liked NIN and im sorry i spoke MY "OPINON" and now everyone is like you hate NIN your [no]. its extremely funny though.

P.S. My space is for LOSERS. is everyone gonna bash me for this statement? Probally. Have a good day and enjoy life.

thezeusanator
04-12-2007, 06:06 PM
2012?

Yes.

paraflux
04-12-2007, 06:47 PM
ITS MY OPINON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow. I never liked NIN and im sorry i spoke MY "OPINON" and now everyone is like you hate NIN your [no]. its extremely funny though.

P.S. My space is for LOSERS. is everyone gonna bash me for this statement? Probally. Have a good day and enjoy life.

Hey you said Tool got 75% and NIN got 25% so NIN is horrible. Since "horrible" is a subjective term, you derive your idea of what is good and bad from public opinion, is what your statement said. I was simply asking. But I suppose it is also your right to take offense to things that were not intended to be.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
04-12-2007, 10:12 PM
I never liked NIN. They deserve the 25% vote and I think that they are "HORRIBLE" not by the vote but what I hear through the speakers. NIN sucks that is my opinon. Get over it. plain and simple. and yes it is my right to take offense when we are on an OPINON page and im getting blasted by some strung out loser who disagrees with my statements. Whatever happened to freedom of type?? Everyone is always so negative that is why this world is coming to an end sooner rather than later. Peace.

thezeusanator
04-12-2007, 10:21 PM
I like NIN a lot, and I like tool a lot but my first love was ZAPPA

paraflux
04-13-2007, 06:18 AM
I never liked NIN. They deserve the 25% vote and I think that they are "HORRIBLE" not by the vote but what I hear through the speakers. NIN sucks that is my opinon. Get over it. plain and simple. and yes it is my right to take offense when we are on an OPINON page and im getting blasted by some strung out loser who disagrees with my statements. Whatever happened to freedom of type?? Everyone is always so negative that is why this world is coming to an end sooner rather than later. Peace.

You are way out of line here, you dont even understand what you said or what I was replying to. You dont like NIN, fine, that's not my problem, but dont go around saying you let public opinion determine who you think is horrible and who isnt and expect not to get called out on it, christ.

I'm going to go get over it now, thanks for permission. Even though I never even disagreed with anything you said, or blasted you for having an opinion, which is apparently what you are flipping out about.

lol... did you call me a strung out loser? Please give me reasons why you think this is the case, as I am interested.

paraflux
04-13-2007, 06:21 AM
I was listening to the new NIN album, Year Zero, and it has a song called Warning. The themes in the song are very familiar to the minor themes in Rosetta Stoned. The whole aliens are coming and want us to straighten ourselves out thing.

Anyone else see this and possible more?

I love you all.

There have been common themes between the bands before, that's what probably led to the attempted Tapeworm collaboration. But not just these 2 bands, many bands are saying the same thing in different ways these days.

orange_knickers
04-13-2007, 06:33 AM
I have tried listening to NIN, but I must say I find Tool a lot more enjoyable, while NIN feels like ...noise. However NIN:s lyrics are very interesting, I sometimes sit and read lyrics, cause I can't stand the music... heh I will try the new album.

mr. nikki jensen
04-13-2007, 06:41 AM
listening to the warning at this very moment.

its not that good inmo

paraflux
04-13-2007, 07:09 AM
I have tried listening to NIN, but I must say I find Tool a lot more enjoyable, while NIN feels like ...noise. However NIN:s lyrics are very interesting, I sometimes sit and read lyrics, cause I can't stand the music... heh I will try the new album.

Personally I think year zero blows with teeth out of the water but really, that's not saying much to me, since I thought with teeth was ridiculous.

Winston
04-14-2007, 12:02 AM
many bands are saying the same thing in different ways these days.

I whole-heartedly agree.
Public opinion probably won't agree, but I'm looking forward to the new Smashing Pumpkins album as well.

Back to being semi on-topic

The Presence is a phenomenon associated with the fictional drugs parapin and opal in the year zero world. Hallucinogenic drugs that are said to cause spiritual experiece.

Rosetta Stoned > LSD, DMT, X > ET intervention
The Warning > Parapin, Opal > The Presence

Made your connection.

Perhaps the ET and the Presence are both unreal manifestations of the psyche reaching out as a metaphor to pull us out of our dire situation we're in.

Plexus, did you listen to that McKenna talk in the other thread? :)
I like this line of thought.
As a species, as the active Yang/Animus of the Earth, we can no longer ignore our unconscious, and continue raping the earth and our minds and expect no consequences.
As we approach a critical mass we can no longer assume that we have no effect on our surroundings. We are not born on this earth, we are born from this earth.
We need to examine the role that religion has played in our development, accept it, grow up, and find a way forward.
We need to acknowledge and accept our passive Yin/Anima side (Gaia) and thus reconnect to and integrate our collective unconscious.

Being the Aeon of Horus, we need to communicate

And other such new-agey hippy bullshit.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
04-14-2007, 09:04 AM
That statement alone turned my thinking from "maybe i was too hash, maybe hes not a clear-channel-listening tool, and just doesnt like nine inch nails" to "this guy's opinion isnt worth the 2 kilobytes of space it took to store it in this thread." Go back to listening to your favorite singles on the radio. Freak on a Leash or When I Come Around or something.

why cant you give your opinion and just accept it when someone tells you your opinion is shit. THATS JUST MY OPINION. ass.

P.S. I just smoked a bowl and am listening to NIN... fucking AWESOME! thank god for drugs.

No paraflux your not the strung out loser...this would be the person I am talking about. Read the "P.S." and there ya go. Im sorry i flipped out but everyone is so negative on these threads its crazy. Have a good day. Peace.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
04-14-2007, 09:05 AM
listening to the warning at this very moment.

its not that good inmo

thanks man.

wearethestories
04-15-2007, 12:51 PM
I'd like to suggest to paraflux that With Teeth isn't that ridiculous. I think it's important to remember that this was TR's first attempt to make music after being sober for 5 years and he didn't know what it was like to create anymore. I think if you go back and listen to the end of the album (after Sunspots and on) it really looks forward to Year Zero. Some of the opening songs seem like he was forcing himself to be angry at some very obvious things without examining his anger and why he was feeling that way. Overall, I can forgive those songs in light of what they produced afterwards (though some just kick ass to rock out to). TR's even said that he might have been guilty of catering to what he thought his fans wanted and that he refused to be compromised in the same way with Year Zero.

also... please no flaming for continuing to post about NIN in a TOOL forum. the bands are known to have collaborated (or attempted to) and both have similar views (if NIN is less philosophical than TOOL). plus, all the NIN forums suck so finding intelligent people to discuss the band with is challenging.\

yearzero.nin.com to listen to the whole album that is released on Tuesday.

Chronicle0
04-15-2007, 08:28 PM
I actually don't like Year Zero... someone said the album following Year Zero is going to be different though so that'd be cool.

orange_knickers
04-16-2007, 02:51 AM
I just wish he would make the lyrics a little more abstract sometimes and stop rhyming.

haha... I agree...but still he has this pained and worn out desperation to them, even though I agree that he is not so...elegant. I mostly read them to get into the heads of my friends, haha, they love NIN and I try to...understand. :)

thezeusanator
04-18-2007, 08:20 AM
Year Zero is crap and has no connection to rosseta stoned

Opiate Son
04-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Year Zero fucking rocks!! It's no Tool, but it rocks anyway!!!

timjames111
04-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Mushrooms are the way to see God's mind. Is it possible that God may share similar thoughts to similar human beings. Human beings that have the ability to relay a mesage to the "congregation."

thezeusanator
04-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Year Zero is crap and has no connection to rosseta stoned

I retract this statment after giving it further listening, I was in a bad mood, I expected something more. It is the best thing he has done since the live video.

plexus
04-18-2007, 11:27 PM
I just wish he would make the lyrics a little more abstract sometimes and stop rhyming.

"No one's heard a single word I've said
They don't sound as good outside my head"

At least he knows hes not the best lyricist.
Besides they've gotten better since he's started.

I like his lyrics.

slowmo
04-20-2007, 05:10 PM

At least he knows hes not the best lyricist.
Besides they've gotten better since he's started.

I like his lyrics.

+1

Trent's music is subjective, but his lyrics are powerful and poetic.

I love Trent's Music.

orange_knickers
04-20-2007, 08:27 PM

Good quote, can't say I can't relate to that... hehe...

Rodermus
04-21-2007, 07:16 PM
On the whole connection thing. i agree with what was said before, that a lot of bands are using some of the same themes today.
On NIN itself, i like them. It took me a while to get used to the actual music, but i was lucky enough to have bought the downward spiral first, which i think is their best.
And to the dude who was blasting NIN, what the fuck does it matter what anyone says to you, fuck 'em. But don't come back with stupid insults about drug use. I'm perfectly sober and still love NIN.

Opiate Son
04-23-2007, 10:22 AM
I like it more with each listen.

Baa
05-02-2007, 01:55 AM
I like it more with each listen.

Ditto.

Always believed the two should tour together.

Tiphareth
05-07-2007, 10:42 PM
YEar Zero is probably one of the best albums of the year. im heading over to melbourne next tuesday for 18hrs just to see the concert. yes Tool is easier to listen to than some of Trent's previous work, but you should all go out and buy Year Zero, is great. and yeh i agree wih alot of band all trying to say the same thing just in different ways. i mean shit, even green day is doin it, just fucking shit though, hahaha.

peace love and udnerstand,

Trav

ProfoundHaytred
05-08-2007, 12:32 PM

On WMMR's March Madness 2007.

FromNothingICome
07-22-2007, 02:17 AM

Wait...you mean to say, that they played them back to back, and had people call in to pick the winner, and NIN lost?

Oh my god. That settles it. I'm going to go burn all of my NIN albums.

Thank you so much for clearing up this horrible mistake I've made.

*smirk*

What I mean to say.... is that TOOL and NIN are two completely different creations. Totally different vibe. Comparing the two, is like comparing apples and oranges. Sure, they're both fruit, but that's where similarities end.

Although i will always love Trent, I have to agree with you.... overall, tool is better. But sometimes, I want to hear something that tool just doesn't offer.

It's that simple.

iwouldificould
07-22-2007, 05:29 PM
"Don't open your eyes
you won't like what you see
the blind have been blessed with security
don't open your eyes,
take it from me
I've found you can find Happiness in Slavery..." -from '92

What's not to like about NIN? Granted, it's a bit more 'visceral' than Tool; but like 'nothing' said, Reznor's just in a different place musically.

Speaking of music, I think some of Reznor's best stuff is purely instrumental (if you will). The guy's a great composer, for lack of a better term.

YZ has left me somewhat hopeful that Trent isn't "done" now that he's sobered up. Interesting stuff.

Incidentally, why would someone post "nin sucks", in a thread PERTAINING to nin, other than to throw poo? I thought Tool fans were supposed to be a little more mature, maybe a little more cerebral... ah well. "One bad apple", and all that, right?

Cheesegreater
07-23-2007, 10:13 AM
I think Maynard is a slightly better lyricist than Trent. Trent is pretty straight-forward. I actually like NIN just fine. But let me say, With Teeth turned me off big time. How many TV shows and movies did Trent sell Bite The Hand to? I got so fucking tired of that song. I hadn't seen a song sell-out so much since Three Doors Down sold When I'm Gone to every-fucking-body.