PDA

View Full Version : time signature...

pysicus19
04-08-2007, 08:16 PM
wow. amazing song. now that that's off my chest...
the intro, where danny is playing along to the sample of "some kind of psychedlic experience..." what the hell is that time signature? or did he simply create one to fit the sample? I would go with the former, as when he begins soloing with the strange electronic sounds, it synchs perfectly. Thoughts?

SecondSun
04-19-2007, 04:17 PM
He's playing in 11/8.
It goes along perfectly with the "It's some kinda psychadelic experience."

psy----cha----delic---ex-----peri---ence----------It's----some---kind--a-----
1------2------3------4------5------6------7------8------9------10----11----

pysicus19
04-20-2007, 08:32 PM
right on man! completely correct. maybe you could help me learn the beat in Lateralus when Maynard wants to "feel the rhythm"...

Jimmeny
04-21-2007, 05:03 PM
In the Lateralus section, the bass and guitars are playing in 6/4. The drums are in 5/8.

SecondSun
04-24-2007, 03:19 PM
In the Lateralus section, the bass and guitars are playing in 6/4. The drums are in 5/8.

Aww...You beat me XD. The bass and guitars are in 6/8, but it's also correct to say they're in 6/4. It's just that it has more of a bouncy 6/8 feel, at least that's what I think. The drum part can be in either 5/8 or 5/4. In 5/8, it would be a 2-measure loop, and in 5/4, it would be a 1-measure loop, with the snare hit on 5.

Lateralus is probably the most complicated Tool song rhythm-wise. I love how they use the fibonacci (I've been wondering how to pronounce that) sequence in the lyrics during the verses and all those time signature changes in the chorus. It seems pretty irregular, but it flows really well...I wonder how long it took them to write it.

About that drum Part in Lateralus:
Hihat - x=Closed o=Open

5/4-1|2|3|4|5
HH: oxoxxoxoxx
BS: xxXx
SN: . . . . . . x

(Never mind the capital X on the kick drum rhythm - I just used it to make room.)

Wow...This has amazingly become a discussion about Lateralus...In the Salival section! ...Didn't do it... *Hides*

Jimmeny
04-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Yeah, 6/8 6/4 it's all gravy. Meant 6/8 anyway :P

Fib - On - Ar - Chi

SecondSun
04-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Fib - On - Ar - Chi

Thanks! That's been eating at me for a while now.

pysicus19
04-28-2007, 10:19 PM
niiiice. trying to transposing those two drum parts ate away at my mind, and they're always simpler than I initially believe. I thank you, secondsun and Jimmeny (aphex twin? i hope so.)

Jimmeny
04-29-2007, 03:40 AM
lmao, yes, Aphex Twin fukqdhed and not me :P

Michał
03-11-2009, 02:04 AM
Oh, Man.... I've allways thought that the spoken sample is "there's some kind of high - technology here!" It sounded right and made sense to me, even made me imagine a story like when astronauts were first-time to Moon, one discovered some ancient extraterrestial civilization buildings and spoke over the radio to his crewmates with this somewhat surprised, somewhat scared voice..."there's some kind of high - technology here!".
This electronic pulsating hum sounds much like a spaceship engine. And the chiming sounds at the beginning are much like sticking a screwdriver against rotating bikewheel's spokes. But I've also got a picture of revolving stars and galaxies while listening to this part of Merkaba.
I love the distinct, alien, mysterious feel of Merkaba. Now I see it's more to spiritual things, which I'm not too much into. But I liked this "high-technology" thingy more... :D
I'm kinda drummer also, and every drummer definitely has to admire this huge, off-beat, odd-signature solo.
BTW, It's my 1st post here. Hello to all thinkers/tinkerers :D
Hope my foreigner's english won't disturb you.

DAMN, I've bumped an over-2-years-old thread.. shame.. :P

Master_Of_Nothing
05-28-2009, 05:05 PM
haha, BUMP indeed. Welcome haha, i only listened to Merkaba for the first time about 20 minutes ago, i like it kinda

Rolo
05-28-2009, 05:24 PM
About time, M_O_N.

Did Santa finally fix you up with Salival?

Master_Of_Nothing
05-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Nah, i finally found it in the Wellington CD store, at...... $30. And, considering you guys were paying around $60-100 for it, i feel pleased haha.

I like No Quarter, It's the only track that really stands out on the CD. Pushit seems kinda lame though, i prefer the original

Rolo
05-28-2009, 05:44 PM
No way!

The live tracks are the shit!

BTW good buy, M_O_N.

Master_Of_Nothing
05-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Third Eye is better on Salival
Pushit is better on Aenima
Part of me is slightly better on salival
MTHM2, well, its still lame haha
Merkaba and You Lied are interesting
LAMC, i kinda like. its funny.
Same goes for the hidden track haha

Cheesegreater
05-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Cool you're getting into Salival. I just started getting into it myself. Their are some great songs on it. All I have to say is that I'd be really surprised if the other version of Pushit doesn't grow on you. It's almost unfair to compare the two Pushits as they go different directions. I look at the original as being really in the moment and pissed off about what's taking place in a relationship. The salival version seems to be calmer and wiser, looking at things in retrospect or under a different light as he says.

Master_Of_Nothing
05-29-2009, 02:32 AM
Well, i have better reasons to like the original, considering its one of the songs i like to play live on guitar. As a guitar song, its definitely up there as being easy but cool

Inner_Eulogy
05-29-2009, 05:19 AM
Nah, i finally found it in the Wellington CD store, at...... $30. And, considering you guys were paying around $60-100 for it, i feel pleased haha.

I like No Quarter, It's the only track that really stands out on the CD. Pushit seems kinda lame though, i prefer the original

I'm so jealous....I totally fucked up and never bought it when it was released when I had the chance and now the only place I've seen it is on Ebay for $100 or more.

Master_Of_Nothing
05-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Yeah, there seems to be a few store copies around in New Zealand, guess we're not that keen on the whole Salival idea. That being said, its really hard to find lateralus and undertow