PDA

View Full Version : Subtract the vocals

Arkham Asylum
04-06-2007, 12:50 PM
"Pushit" is one of my least favorite songs and it's wholly due to the vocals. Can anyone show me how to tweak the song (with audio software/equalizers) so that I can remove/reduce the vocals substantially without really taking away the instrumental part? If someone can do this and is willing to send me the copy, that would be sweet.

I wonder if I'm the only one who doesn't really like this song, it seems to be a favorite of Tool fans. I'm a huge fan myself, but something about this song just doesn't sit right. Musically, it is a masterpiece in my opinion.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
04-06-2007, 02:04 PM
man..it feels like god just struck me dead or something dude...How the f*ck can you not be in love with this song? this song is awesome to say the least...its your opinon but i seriously would never thought someone would say that PUSHIT' is their least favorite... :( sorry i cant help you with the audio aspect of it. Good luck i guess...im speechless my friend....speechless. PUSHIT FU*KIN RULES!!!!!!!

Arkham Asylum
04-07-2007, 05:33 AM
Thank you, Clutch, for respecting my opinion. That's more than most people on these boards would do. I noticed "Pushit" is one of your favorite song and I can completely understand why. I can see why so many people love "Pushit", but I was just saying that I personally am not very fond of the vocals. Musically, the track is undeniably sweet. Something (I still can't put my finger on it) about the vocals turns me off. It's very likely that the song just hasn't HIT me yet (I've been listening to it for about 7 years at this point.)

To summarize my opinion: "Pushit" is a brilliant instrumental piece, it has beautiful lyrics, but for me the vocals just don't do it.

If someone can tell me what they like about the vocals, please feel free, I'd love to hear some feedback.

Also, I will not argue, the last line is earth-shattering (even more so in the Salival version): "It will end no other way. It will end no other waaayy!"

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
04-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Thank you, Clutch, for respecting my opinion. That's more than most people on these boards would do. I noticed "Pushit" is one of your favorite song and I can completely understand why. I can see why so many people love "Pushit", but I was just saying that I personally am not very fond of the vocals. Musically, the track is undeniably sweet. Something (I still can't put my finger on it) about the vocals turns me off. It's very likely that the song just hasn't HIT me yet (I've been listening to it for about 7 years at this point.)

To summarize my opinion: "Pushit" is a brilliant instrumental piece, it has beautiful lyrics, but for me the vocals just don't do it.

If someone can tell me what they like about the vocals, please feel free, I'd love to hear some feedback.

Also, I will not argue, the last line is earth-shattering (even more so in the Salival version): "It will end no other way. It will end no other waaayy!"

Give it 7 1/2 years and im sure you will fall in love with it...but like i said everyone has an opinon for a song and you are definately entitled to yours. and yes the last line is earth-shattering...as are all the other lines...
"and when i say i might fade like a sigh if i stay..." -very touching but its either you love it or you hate it...i guess you hate it...Cheers. dude Pushit I love.

toolrox19
04-07-2007, 08:14 AM
well i could see why you dont like the vocals at the beginning, took me a while to get used too... but after that effect is gone the vocals are just beautiful, by any chance have you heard the salivial version, the vocals have little effects on it and maynard is brilliant along with everyone else

Arkham Asylum
04-07-2007, 08:38 AM
well i could see why you dont like the vocals at the beginning, took me a while to get used too... but after that effect is gone the vocals are just beautiful, by any chance have you heard the salivial version, the vocals have little effects on it and maynard is brilliant along with everyone else

Yeah, I have Salival and I definitely enjoy that version as well (though I prefer the Ænima version overall personally.)

The opening verse(s) on the Ænima "Pushit" are the better part I think, but the vocals aren't very satisfying for the rest of the song until the last line.

I really love the track musically though and the lyrics are great as well. Just something about the vocals (especially after some really amazing performances on the rest of the album) doesn't quite do it for me.

nabiliofadilio
04-07-2007, 10:10 AM
umm on itunes you can play with the equalizer thingy and you can fade the vocals?? does that help?
pushit is a great song, i know what you mean when you say itsgreat instrumentally but not vocally. thats how i feel about jimmy. not a fan of the lyrics or voice but i love the instrumentals

Arkham Asylum
04-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Coincidentally, "jimmy" is one of my top Tool picks: vocals, music, lyrics, meaning, everything is just so chillingly beautiful.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
04-07-2007, 08:50 PM
^^Nicely put my friend. but seriously Omg you people are crazy that say jimmy is not a good song...that damn songs kicks my ass every damn time i hear it.. its one of my favorites. Clutch the damn thing.

nabiliofadilio
04-08-2007, 10:01 AM
ehh i was never a jimmy fan. lyrically it doesn't effect me. its meaning doesn't get to me like all the other tool songs
instrumentally though its amazing. no doubt about that

dice5199
04-08-2007, 10:45 AM
The song deals with a dysfunctional relationship. The relationship is bad except when they are having sex.

The term Pushit has two opposing meanings (Dualism). It can refer to the thrusting motion that occurs during sex, which brings joy. In contrast, it can refer to a one partner blaming/harming the other, which brings pain.

Also, Pushit may refer to the process of giving birth (the result of a sexual relationship).

"I will choke until I swallow...
Choke this infant here before me.
What is this but my reflection?
Who am I to judge and strike you down?"

This is further reinforced by the track that follows (Cesaro Summability) which basically is the sound of a crying infant.

I think this is a cleverly written song. The lyrics contain Dualism, which is a recurring theme in many Tool songs.

nabiliofadilio
04-09-2007, 09:09 PM
good explanation. i didn't know about the dualism. thanks

parables in the world
04-10-2007, 08:46 PM
try blocking out the words, and listen to the notes he sings....i don't know what else to tell you. This is a great song, especially the version i like to call "Pushit In The Gap Again" on salival, the build-ups and dynamics, wow! The part i love the best is the middle calm section....

Arkham Asylum
04-11-2007, 03:21 AM
try blocking out the words, and listen to the notes he sings...

The thing is I don't mind the lyrics, they're quite moving. It's something about HOW he sings that irks me. What you said is pretty much what I do now, I try to let the vocals be another instrument, just close my eyes and let Maynard play.

the_milkman
04-11-2007, 09:39 AM
im with clutch.. you're crazy for not absolutely loving this song :)

Arkham Asylum
04-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Sorry, milkman, I tried and I tried. Clutch is probably right, I need to give it 7.5 years.

It's not a bad song, but it's just my least favorite Tool track (sorry to disappoint). Musically this thing is ridiculously awesome. I'll elaborate later, but the vocals come out sounding almost "wimpy".

Arkham Asylum
04-11-2007, 10:09 AM
I'll probably get flamed like hell for that last statement, but I promise I'll try and justify my point later. And yes I am aware his vocals are supposed to sound somewhat wavering/quivering/sorrowful in "Pushit"; nevertheless, I'll try to defend myself soon.

the_milkman
04-11-2007, 10:12 AM
no need for apologies, when i bought my first tool cd (aenima), i didnt really like it at all.. that thing collected dust for a long time. one day i popped it in and let the whole cd play and lets just say it changed my life. and yes.. 7 years of hearing this album is like aging wine, it just gets better and better :)

Arkham Asylum
04-11-2007, 01:21 PM
If it helps, I like the vocals from the early Ænima demos of "Pushit" better; they're a bit more raw/brutal for certain parts(I think it's a little more appropriate.)

Nevertheless, not exactly my favorite vocals either.

Arkham Asylum
04-11-2007, 01:22 PM
And hell yes, Ænima is like wine, except in my personal experience it was rock-solid on Day 1 and it has become more and more extraordinary with every passing day since then.

nabiliofadilio
04-11-2007, 04:15 PM
And hell yes, Ænima is like wine, except in my personal experience it was rock-solid on Day 1 and it has become more and more extraordinary with every passing day since then.

thats a good way to put it!

Arkham Asylum
04-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Heh what are the chances?

"Pushit" just needed 7 years and a few more days. Thanks for the inspiration, Clutch.

Some vocal sections are still kinda drab, but the song is forever gone from my least favorite Tool track designation.

♠Ace♠
04-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Well I don't really understand your last post, but to anyone else who doesn't seem to get to like the vocals...you probably aren't listening to the whole song all the way through. The most magnificent vocals that I've ever heard from Maynard are at about 8:30 in the song...I really can fully understand everyone though. Aenima used to be my least-favorite Tool album, now it is probably my favorite. It's one of those just like on most Tool songs, you gotta listen to something more user-friendly first (like Schism)to get yourself liking Tool, and then you move into something deeper, and then that leads you to a song like Pushit--one of the most intelligent and musically stunning songs I've ever heard. Hope this helps

weesper
05-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Could it be that you have a problem with the way he sings the lyrics because these are lyrics that are so gut gripping that you can actually feel Maynard has trouble singing them at full blast and only when the time comes (*** representing the birth of his son reverberating with his own troubled past as a victim of child abuse) does he 'find' his voice. Maynard has no trouble putting his sort of sarcastic tone in his voice in songs like Aenema, Stinkfist or H w/a P but in songs like H and Pushit, its just too personal, it hits too close to home to put his usual timbre in there.

Arkham Asylum
05-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Could it be that you have a problem with the way he sings the lyrics because these are lyrics that are so gut gripping that you can actually feel Maynard has trouble singing them at full blast and only when the time comes (*** representing the birth of his son reverberating with his own troubled past as a victim of child abuse) does he 'find' his voice. Maynard has no trouble putting his sort of sarcastic tone in his voice in songs like Aenema, Stinkfist or H w/a P but in songs like H and Pushit, its just too personal, it hits too close to home to put his usual timbre in there.

Yeah, I get the idea with the whole quivering/weakened voice that he uses in "Pushit". I appreciate how heartfelt the vocals are on this track, so I get what you're saying. Also with the end of the song as he pulls his voice back up, strengthened and more confident, to belt out that closing line. I do like Maynard's softer and more "sorrowful" vocals on other tracks (such as "H.") but something about "Pushit" just didn't sit well with me.

Nonetheless, I am now a "Pushit" fan (still not my favorite vocals, but I like them much more than I did before.)

nabiliofadilio
05-01-2007, 08:22 PM

god damn that was a good description
H and pushit are amazing

toolwithapenis
05-13-2007, 06:50 PM
aenima is definitely an album that grows on you over time
but so are all the other tool albums
when i first heard laturalus i thought it was horrible
but now
i cant stop listening to it
same goes with aenima

PhilTheVoid
05-16-2007, 12:01 PM
THERE'S NO LOVE IN FEAR

SchwarzKatze
05-21-2007, 08:48 PM
[QUOTE=Aenima used to be my least-favorite Tool album, now it is probably my favorite. It's one of those just like on most Tool songs, you gotta listen to something more user-friendly first (like Schism)to get yourself liking Tool, and then you move into something deeper, and then that leads you to a song like Pushit--one of the most intelligent and musically stunning songs I've ever heard. Hope this helps[/QUOTE]

Well said, I also was not very fond of aenima but now I absolutely love it.

Pushit had to grow on me as well, just the fact that i always skipped over it. But when I actually listened to it I was was stunned. It became one of my all time favorite songs.

Favorite lyric: But i'd trade it all
For just a little bit of
Piece of mind.

that part always gets me.

TIHSUP
05-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Well I don't really understand your last post, but to anyone else who doesn't seem to get to like the vocals...you probably aren't listening to the whole song all the way through. The most magnificent vocals that I've ever heard from Maynard are at about 8:30 in the song...I really can fully understand everyone though. Aenima used to be my least-favorite Tool album, now it is probably my favorite. It's one of those just like on most Tool songs, you gotta listen to something more user-friendly first (like Schism)to get yourself liking Tool, and then you move into something deeper, and then that leads you to a song like Pushit--one of the most intelligent and musically stunning songs I've ever heard. Hope this helps

I have to agree with you about the vocals at 8:30 in the song, I literally get chills when I hear that part.

nabiliofadilio
05-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Well said, I also was not very fond of aenima but now I absolutely love it.

Pushit had to grow on me as well, just the fact that i always skipped over it. But when I actually listened to it I was was stunned. It became one of my all time favorite songs.

Favorite lyric: But i'd trade it all
For just a little bit of
Piece of mind.

that part always gets me.

haha thats crazy! those are the wors that always stick with me when i hear that song. i can't explain it, they are so meanigful, i love this song