PDA

View Full Version : Last night...

FightingMonkey
04-04-2007, 08:17 AM
I was on the road last night on my way home from work. I was riding the last leg of the express way outside of the city in the county (for those who live in Memphis, Tn, or at least know about it- 385 out towards Collierville) where there are very few lightposts. It's generally very dark through that area, but last night there was this BAD ASS electrical storm dancing all around me. There weren't many ground strikes (albeit a few) but mostly the cloud-to-cloud lightning that illuminates the surrounding horizon and unmasks the ominous storm clouds that hang overhead, visible just above the tree line on both sides and just above the road ahead. There was no rain. It was the perfect atmosphere for some Tool, so I decided Aenima would be the entree of the evening, readily available for my concious to consume. Right at about 5:25 to 5:27 in this song, when the shit really starts soaring into its thunderous heights, the sky lit up in a frenzy of ground and cloud-to-cloud lightning that danced all around me. It was bright enough to shut off the few streetlamps that did line the road. As the show danced all around me, I slipped into the madness that is Tool, and for the moment was lost in its genius.

It was really some amazing shit. I wish someone could've been with me to experience it. It was one of those moments when the world and all its fury becomes clear, and the madness that is existence is but for a moment wholly consumed, understood, and appreciated.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
04-04-2007, 07:12 PM
where you high? are you were high now? lol thats good stuff. but i thought i was reading a weather report at first. Cheers. TOOL rules.

FightingMonkey
04-05-2007, 12:56 PM
No, not high at all, at least not on any substance (I'm on probation right now). Yeah, sorry about the lengthy parts about the weather, I just wanted to make sure I painted the mood right.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
04-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Understood. you got your point across my friend.

FightingMonkey
04-05-2007, 05:11 PM
I was wondering if anyone else cared to share a similar story for them...or any story about Tool for that matter.

justify_denials
04-08-2007, 02:10 AM
I was wondering if anyone else cared to share a similar story for them...or any story about Tool for that matter.

Sure. I have had experiences not only with tool, but im driving around, songs syncing with everything I do. Songs stoping when I stop. Songs getting harder when im punching the gas because of speed limits getting higher. Even songs that appear to be in tune with the purr of my 1973 225c.i. Slant six Plymouth.
But this was the funny one. I was driving to work at 9 in the morning. Im coming upon this intersection that quickly swoops up, then swoops down. I hit it the intersection. UNDERTOW album is blaring. Knowing the loud as fuck cherry bomb exhuast on my car (I spent a hour hour with a hacksaw cutting off the muffler) I can't normally hear quiet parts of albums on my system (hey, free stereo parts my friends could'nt use anymore, whats better?).........and then BAMM!!! I stop, my car dies right in the middle of the intersection (you know, old cars, carburetors, they're old, what do you expect?) Then as I was sitting in the middle of this intersection starting my old car with the janky carburetor back up, I realize, for the first time in history, the very faint, and as to be at the time, weird intro music to the track "Crawl Away". I was like "damn!" and for a small moment forgot about the fact that I was in the middle of the intersection with my engine not even idling; but the crappy rebuilt shitty starter was cranking it's loud as fuck noise. You can tell any old mopar cranking up in a parking lot, 50 feet away. But at this moment, not a soul driving their yuppie ass suburbans, escalades, and other assortments of rich shitty cars could ever tell a legend, popular historical event, something so bullet proof, from the sound of their heated leather bucket seats and the sound of a fly splating on their windshield; with joy from such.
Then at that point in time, all things came into focus and I knew, truly who I was. A qualitay freak. Vintage freak. A fuckin OUTCAST! And for fucks sake, I fucking love it the more I think about it!

I just proof read what I wrote and don't even know if I can edit errors, I;ve had alot of beer! hope it made sense.

erazorhead
04-08-2007, 05:38 AM
Then at that point in time, all things came into focus and I knew, truly who I was. A qualitay freak. Vintage freak. A fuckin OUTCAST! And for fucks sake, I fucking love it the more I think about it!

this is gold! and i think maybe my first signature.

FightingMonkey
04-08-2007, 09:11 AM
"Sure. I have had experiences..."

This is exactly what I'm talking about. We all have our funny little stories about music, and I just want to hear some good ones concerning Tool. Anyone else out there...

justify_denials
04-08-2007, 11:42 PM
this is gold! and i think maybe my first signature.

Alright alright! Of course I did'nt mean that part about my car during this event seeing as I was dead stop in the middle of a intersection.......I BLAME IT ON THE CARBURETOR!! It was old and the float needed adjustment, PCV valve was cloged, air filter turned white to black!

justify_denials
04-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Other than that, me and a good friend were on the ride from east Seattle area towards eastern Washington to the Gorge amphitheatre last summer to see tool of course. About 130 miles one way. And we pass these two hot chicks in a jeep and try spelling t-o-o-l out to them with our hands and they gave us the thumbs up.

eapatty01
04-27-2007, 06:59 PM
One day last summer I was playing some basketball down at the park with a couple buddies. They left around 9 or so but I kept playing. It was really muggy, and I knew rain was coming. I had been listening to 10,000 Days and 10,000 Days the song came on. This was just after midnight. I had played into the darkness (no lights down at the court) and although my nightvision had adjusted to the dark, it was hard to shoot. The song of course has that storm ambience in the background, and that made the rain that was coming feel that much better. Soon the sky was decorated with lightening, It looked like plain daylight for 10 seconds at a time, and as if Maynards mother had actually synched the song with my life it began to rain, just as the song really hits the climax.

This was no pussy rain. It came down in the kind that is thick but still light (idk if you know what I mean). So there I was just running up and down the court, soaking wet, Jamming to Tool.

Unfortunatly I didn't really have a spine tingling experience like you described, and I really expected to. It was great fun none the less.