PDA

View Full Version : JERKS WHO DEMEAN TOOL AS "ANGRY MUSIC"

Ghostwriter
04-02-2007, 02:38 PM
In the darkroom for my highschool photography class there is a small CD player. Usually while we are in there some asshole girl plays the SAME Bob Dylan CD EVERY DAY. The other day I brought in a Tool CD I had made and put on "Sober" with the volume nice and low to not anger anyother students with the change of music. Within seconds they had ripped out the Tool CD claiming the song was "too depressing" or "angry music". I have experienced this problem before where I have played Tool songs for some friends. Those friends now think of Tool as an extremely angry band that only displays one sided emotion in their music. This assumption horribly angers me because I love Tool with a passion and I know their music displays an array of emotions. When I listen to a Tool song I might feel anger but I also may feel love or other deep emotions. Unfortunantely many people new to Tool demean their music by claiming it is too angry or one sided. Why cant people just give the music a chance and open their ears because If they did maybe one day they too would be posting on this website.

Hodge
04-02-2007, 02:39 PM
then play them Lateralus and show them their positive/hopeful/spiritual side

paraflux
04-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Undertow is angry, I dont know how you can get around that. It's still positive in a sense, because it's purging, but few are going to be able to see that.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
04-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Short-mined people. thats all you need to say. Who cares if they dont like it. they are just missing out on the journey of TOOL. More for us. Cheers.

Ajfelt
07-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Tool is angry music, there is a large population of people who choose to go through life with blinders on and live like the world is "peaches and cream". "The world is just not like that". To reach true happiness you need to DEAL with your demons and then let go of them. They are there weather you want to acknowlege them or not "sooner or later it will come out and bite you, and it won't be pretty when it does" COMPASSION OVER FEAR

base metal
07-21-2007, 10:02 AM
Anger and aggression has always been a part of their sound and that's what most people are going to notice first. Pretty much anyone could listen to their radio hits and say Tool's music is angry or depressing....except for maybe 46&2, Schism and Lateralus. Some people just aren't going to take the time to understand their music for what it really is... they'll just take it at face value and say "nah, I don't like it." It's not for everybody I guess, but you'll always run into a few who lock in and pick up on it. Tool's music might be angry, but their message isn't one of hate and despair....that's where people tend to misunderstand them.

Cheesegreater
07-21-2007, 10:37 AM
I agree with Paraflux; a lot of it probably had to do with the song you chose. When I was in high school I couldn't dream of playing Sober in class. I don't know if you'd get the same reaction if you would have played 46& 2.

There are tons of people that try to put Tool in a box. They say they don't like angry, depressing metal music, so they toss Tool in the same box as Hatebreed, for instance.

One of my best friend's, his girlfriend HATES Tool. She tossed them in the ol' box a long time ago. She will not read lyrics that prove they aren't all negative. She bitches every time I play Tool in my own fucking house. She tells me that Tool's music is what's yielding all these depressed, cutter, goth kids. Pretty much she blames all the problems our youth experience on the music they listen too. She's 22, but sounds like she's some old disgruntled politician lashing out against violent video games, but in this case, it's Tool.

It sucks. Tool draws a lot of demeaning comments. Not only do most of these people not understand where these guys are coming from, they do everything they can to resist understanding it. If they threw them in the box, there's no way they'll take it out. Their pride won't allow it.

So, I don't think everyone who gives Tool a chance will like them. No, I don't think that at all. There's a lot of misconceptions about Tool though. On these forums, we tend to break things down to molecules, so a misconception here or there is forgivable. But what really irritates me is when people make broad generalizations about Tool without really knowing a lick about them.

thomasknight
07-28-2007, 02:06 AM
Next time they rip out the Tool CD, tell them to stop being so angry.

dice5199
07-28-2007, 08:27 AM
I have linked an interview with Maynard in 1997. I think what he says is targeted at the impulsive, superficial opinions that these people hold.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8SxHtyL2v0&mode=related&search=

OuRsOuLsInMoTiOn
07-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Who cares what they think of tool, as long as you know it's not angry music it's all good.

Bhikkhu
08-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Just keep playing it. My mother also doesn't like "angry" music, but after about 12 years she got used to it :) My father got used to it much sooner. He also likes Tool now :) I hope I can take him to a concert soon.

Ghostwriter
08-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Just keep playing it. My mother also doesn't like "angry" music, but after about 12 years she got used to it :) My father got used to it much sooner. He also likes Tool now :) I hope I can take him to a concert soon.

My dad is a BIG Tool fan. 12 years man? Haha....

sotos
08-03-2007, 02:36 AM
Next time they rip out the Tool CD, tell them to stop being so angry.

axaxaxaxaxaxaxaxa

your remark proves that tool listeners are usually intelligent people

tool = intelligent music for intelligent people

case closed.

Rodogrun
08-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Hey guys, I hate the fact that I am 54 years old, but its better then the alternative I guess. ;)
I am way into Tool, and do not consider this to be angry music at all. Truthful? yep. Original? yep Last time I checked that is not a bad thing! If you were my kdis, I would be jumping for joy at your incredible taste and obvious depth of personnality. Wonderful music, as with all art, should and does not know age. And it should not be limited to any group. YOung, old and in between come in enlightened and dim...but we tend to gravitate toward those that like what we do and sort of *GET IT *. I hope your mother will open her mind to Tool, they are incredible. I guess coming from the age of great Acid (and having taken advantage of that fact) does help ;)
But frankly, anger is an emotion that we all share, and expressing it musically is certainly legitamate! Love, anger, hatred, disgust, anxiety, happiness, all of these things are very real in our lives. My hat is off to the band that can make me FEEL these emotions thru their music. THAT is art. I am transformed by music, as you all are, I have no doubt. Tool can be hypnotic, and really good for the mind.

hushypushy
08-06-2007, 11:56 AM
I guess coming from the age of great Acid (and having taken advantage of that fact) does help ;)

That's good to know, because a lot of the people who came from your spot exactly don't like Tool at all because they "see where they came from". Which is a bullshit reason imo but, whatever.

Bhikkhu
08-06-2007, 04:21 PM
But frankly, anger is an emotion that we all share, and expressing it musically is certainly legitamate! Love, anger, hatred, disgust, anxiety, happiness, all of these things are very real in our lives.

In my opinion some emotions are not constructive, like hatred. I heard Maynard in an interview trying to explain that there's a big difference between anger and hatred. Now, anger can indeed be constructive. The music has helped me express my anger in times when I wasn't able to express it towards people who hurt me.
But, hatred, man, that's something that can start wars.
I think it's good to reflect and think about these things for yourself. If you have a certain emotion, ask yourself "where does this come from?". Is it useful? Is it constructive? Should I use this emotion as a basis for my actions?
If anyone is interested in this, you could check out some books by Daniel Goleman.

Rodogrun
08-21-2007, 05:02 AM
In my opinion some emotions are not constructive, like hatred. I heard Maynard in an interview trying to explain that there's a big difference between anger and hatred. Now, anger can indeed be constructive. The music has helped me express my anger in times when I wasn't able to express it towards people who hurt me.
But, hatred, man, that's something that can start wars.
I think it's good to reflect and think about these things for yourself. If you have a certain emotion, ask yourself "where does this come from?". Is it useful? Is it constructive? Should I use this emotion as a basis for my actions?
If anyone is interested in this, you could check out some books by Daniel Goleman.

Very very true. I, for one can't afford to feel hatred...it does bad things to my head! I should say, if I ever feel hate, I have to work it out quickly and get rid of it.However, I will point this out...I positively HATE bananas....I won't eat anything with them in it, no matter how you prepare it! That is a legitimate HATE. ;)
rodog.

Rodogrun
08-21-2007, 05:10 AM
That's good to know, because a lot of the people who came from your spot exactly don't like Tool at all because they "see where they came from". Which is a bullshit reason imo but, whatever.

HUH? Well, they are forgetting an important lesson from their ...er...research...keep an open mind and I tell you . What I have learned in life is that youth is where the greatest stuff comes from. It is the young mind, the new ideas, its just so wonderful. To close yourself to that is a sure way to limit your enjoyment of all things. That is where intensity comes from. Some of us refuse to grow up too. Or just don't have the "grown up" gene.
Tool amazes me over and over again on so many levels. On 10,000 days, Rosetta Stoned blows me away. Talk about nailing so many aspects of and experience like and intensly powerful trip and with more clarity then I could ever put into words!
Wow...but making that point with such a great use of music to boot!
They are the best.

Bhikkhu
08-21-2007, 06:20 AM
Very very true. I, for one can't afford to feel hatred...it does bad things to my head! I should say, if I ever feel hate, I have to work it out quickly and get rid of it.However, I will point this out...I positively HATE bananas....I won't eat anything with them in it, no matter how you prepare it! That is a legitimate HATE. ;)
rodog.

Just wait till you get stranded on an uninhabited island with nothing but banana trees...haha...ok, you'll probably say that you'll eat fish...but what if you also hate fish?...haha...

Rodogrun
08-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Just wait till you get stranded on an uninhabited island with nothing but banana trees...haha...ok, you'll probably say that you'll eat fish...but what if you also hate fish?...haha...

shoot...now you got me thinking. ...I like fish. :D
I also HATE spiders!

ivasativa
08-22-2007, 10:52 AM
You guys are all just beautiful , you make my day these days sooo often.

Emotions are everything man ..but only to some people, more and more of those in the Age of Aquarius though :) Anyway we shouldn't me angry at other people who are unlike. Its ok, they have their own paths, nothing is really a coincidence or mistake for that matter. They are there to spark emotions in us, and we are there to do the same for them. We ARE after all one mind.

Hugs and Kisses all you beautiful souls. :)

Rodogrun
08-22-2007, 12:14 PM
You guys are all just beautiful , you make my day these days sooo often.

Emotions are everything man ..but only to some people, more and more of those in the Age of Aquarius though :) Anyway we shouldn't me angry at other people who are unlike. Its ok, they have their own paths, nothing is really a coincidence or mistake for that matter. They are there to spark emotions in us, and we are there to do the same for them. We ARE after all one mind.

Hugs and Kisses all you beautiful souls. :)

:D
THank you for the hugs and kisses! Right back atcha!! You deserve a beautiful day.
Rodog

miketh74
09-05-2007, 09:55 PM
:D
THank you for the hugs and kisses! Right back atcha!! You deserve a beautiful day.
Rodog

I agree with everyone in here.

Like you said Rodogrun..."I can't afford to hate..."
Hell, I don't have the time. People who assume and pass judgement on Tool songs as being just angry/hateful simply have a closed mind and probably solicite gay sex in a Minneapolis public restroom (HA HA) - nothing against Minneapolis. Shallow thinking only leads you into a wading pool where only your feet get wet.

By the way, I saw that interview with Maynard you were referring to. Glad to see you're on the same page man. Peace to ya.

This thread made my night. On that note, I shall now crash.

:)

uummm..nocoolnames
09-05-2007, 10:11 PM
man, that sucks you cant play tool in school, last year, i had a friend n my art class, and basically we ruled the cd player, so we played alot of tool, and a bunch of other stuff, hell, we even got away with shit like dying fetus when there asnt to many people in there. it was awesome to have someone to talk to about tool.

my advice for you to deal with the bobdylan girl is, next time she puts in that cd, slap her in the back of the head, pull the cd out, rub her face in the cd, and say NO. NO
like shes adog that just shit on the floor :)

plasticgynecomastic
09-14-2007, 11:44 PM
Tool IS about anger.
But, what is important is to distinguish anger from hate.

MJK said that once himself.

Anger is positive emotion and leads to creation. Hate isn't and its final product is destruction.
I don't see Tool as a destructive band.

Ghostwriter
09-15-2007, 05:22 AM
Tool IS about anger.
But, what is important is to distinguish anger from hate.

MJK said that once himself.

Anger is positive emotion and leads to creation. Hate isn't and its final product is destruction.
I don't see Tool as a destructive band.

Very true, I have seen that interview and it is very insightful. A "tool" is used to create something amazing, there are very few tools used to destroy...

Ghostwriter
09-15-2007, 05:24 AM
Well no one needs to worry about those "artsy-fartsy" seniors this year because they have graduated. When I start advanced photography this winter I will be the "big dog" and I will play all the Tool I want, especially alot of "Cold and Ugly" and "Jerk-Off" in memory of those seniors...

miketh74
09-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Very true, I have seen that interview and it is very insightful. A "tool" is used to create something amazing, there are very few tools used to destroy...

I'm glad someone else has brought this up. Much thanks Ghostwriter :)

Tool got their name from this very idea. Dan Carey mentioned this during an interview in Rock Drummer magazine. I only bring this up b/c I was flamed and told I didn't know what I was talking about when it came to this. So, thanks again dude.

Omar Rodriguez-Mopez
05-19-2008, 01:38 PM
tool = intelligent music for intelligent people

case closed.
Intelligent music for morons imo.

I Feed On Life
02-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Maybe because Tool *is* an angry band. Their pissed off, dissonant stuff (Opiate, Undertow, Aenima, Ticks And Leeches, some of the 10,000 Days album) overshadows their more optimistic, hopeful "free your soul" work they did on Lateralus. Hell, even that album had some pretty damn dissonant moments. If you want to play Tool around someone, I suggest you play Lateralus as it brings a more peaceful, less foreboding feel to your soul than their other works.

iAMtheMA!
02-14-2012, 10:00 PM
angry/pissed-off can be optimistic/hopeful - i think i see what you're getting at though. and all of tool's music has that light on it as far as i'm concerned: I'M SERIOUSLY JUST FUCKING WITH YOU! ...i think is their message, or you know playing the "wise/fool", "useful/idiot", "question/authority", "guiding/trickster". the 'paradox' is their bread and butter.

so, if you wanna listen to tool make sure it's the track that really strikes your mood, whatever it may be, whatever helps to elevate your senses and appreciation for self/others/life, especially as there are many styles to choose from throughout their entire career. i mean, why limit yourself to what others might be more susceptible to? aren't you at least tapping your foot with enough intent or involved at some level, showing how engaged you are with the music? i think that should be the music they hear first ...i.e. you're enjoyment of the music and how it might help to let loose those pathetic inhibitions we have. "why are they called tool? ...:serious face, staring back: i'll show you why." (sry)

and there's no reason to judge tool's music by those standards/assumptions anyway - however accurate they may be (i think people do this with mjk's other side projects far too much). that's like telling someone new to the music ..."THIS IS MY FAVORITE PART, right ....HERE!" ..........................oh, yeah .... that was pretty good. you know? you take 'em out of the song by defining it and chopping that experience to pieces. or like "hey, you normally listen to pop-shit and/or new age ...i bet you'll enjoy, i dunno... eon blue apocalyse ...ya !@#$in' hippie" for example. but yeah ...it's just as easy to pass it off and pass it over if you give it a name ...like "angry". it ceases to exist on its own, for what it is in that moment. and then people can shelve it forever. oh well...

Watch-the-Reign-Fall
03-31-2012, 02:39 AM
Well no one needs to worry about those "artsy-fartsy" seniors this year because they have graduated. When I start advanced photography this winter I will be the "big dog" and I will play all the Tool I want, especially alot of "Cold and Ugly" and "Jerk-Off" in memory of those seniors...

Jerk off is one of my favorites! Maynard has said those who dismiss it because they see the anger are confusing anger with hate. anger is a constructive emotion hate is distructive. if you ignore that side of you you're robbing yourself of the human experience. i have to admit I was like them then I was smoking with some friends and heard Push it the Salival version and I was hooked

Watch-the-Reign-Fall
03-31-2012, 04:03 AM
I really don't think you can put tool into a genre of music that has been created. in order for a genre to exist there would have to be many others like it and Tool is in a league all its own. when I try to discribe Tool the words that come to mind is Heavy Meditation music