PDA

View Full Version : New Theory - Genetic Tampering and Playing God

Choise
04-01-2007, 02:56 AM
I think this song is also about science tampering with DNA. I could not think of a better example for illustrating the controversial use of science than DNA modification. Is there a better example for someone trying to "play God"?

"I choose to live and to
Grow, take and give and to
Move, learn and love and to
Cry, kill and die and to
Be paranoid and to
Lie, hate and fear and to
Do what it takes to move through. "

Is anyone else bothered by this part of the song? I mean it is uncommon, though possible, for someone to choose to live, cry, die, be paranoid, and fear. These are things that usually happen to us, not things we choose to do.

Add to this the way he sings this verse. He sings it 2 times: the first time he sounds very peaceful and the second time he is yelling and commanding when he says.

"I choose to live and to
Lie, kill and give and to
Die, learn and love and to
Do what it takes to step through. "

Its as if there are 2 ways he can take this new found wisdom, he can use it to evolve spiritually to the level of Christ-consciousness or he can become God in this world.

I feel that this song takes a huge twist from most Tool songs in that the person from the perspective of whom Maynard is singing starts out with a very innocent idea about life but it takes a turn when he says.

"I wanna feel the changes coming down.
I wanna know what I've been hiding in "

and

"I wanna feel the change consume me,
Feel the outside turning in.
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
Cleansing I've endured within "

Instead of doing a little soul searching to keep himself in check, he wants some payback. This is especially relevant when he says.

"Feel the outside turning in."

The outside is things outside himself, or outside his control. He wants to have control of everything. And he intends to get control of everything through science.

I could be way off here. Things have been really weird lately and I needed to return to my roots to get my footing. I was analyzing some Nine Inch Nails and listening to Tool, lets me see things from a different perspective, and I wasn't really paying attention to the song. I started listening right when Maynard kicked into the 2nd "I choose to live and to." Which I usually write off as a confident re-expression of his new self but since I didn't hear the first line or anything before it all I heard was the anger and selfishness in the line. I had been reading about science ethics earlier so the stars had aligned and I instantly realized this new angle.

This is a horribly simplistic representation of my idea, but I am hoping that you guys can add to, take away from, or destroy it.

Liam
04-01-2007, 03:02 AM
nice idea.. this site might help you develop your interpretation.
http://www.angelfire.com/la2/aenima/462concept.html

Hodge
04-01-2007, 03:04 AM
i think it is more about accepting, confronting and overcoming his shadow, and thus growing as a human being

Hodge
04-01-2007, 03:06 AM
thanks for the link, i knew about the chromosomes but didn't know they also related to the FOL

Liam
04-01-2007, 03:09 AM
http://www.angelfire.com/la2/aenima/
heres the full site. no idea who made it, but i found it ages ago. unfortunately angelfire has fucked it with banners and pop-ups too.

Choise
04-01-2007, 03:30 AM
http://www.angelfire.com/la2/aenima/
heres the full site. no idea who made it, but i found it ages ago. unfortunately angelfire has fucked it with banners and pop-ups too.

Cool, thanks for the link. How did you reply so fast? Do you dredge the board or does it alert you when there is a new post/thread?

i think it is more about accepting, confronting and overcoming his shadow, and thus growing as a human being

I agree with this idea. I am trying to add to this idea, that there is a dualistic side to this song. I think that everyone fears their shadow, and most people reflect on themselves to become "better". What I am questioning is what the person does with their "changes". You could become wiser and benefit mankind, or you could use it for your own materialistic or egotistical purposes.

Hodge
04-01-2007, 03:35 AM
Cool, thanks for the link. How did you reply so fast? Do you dredge the board or does it alert you when there is a new post/thread?

http://toolnavy.com/search.php?do=getnew

it's on the main page under "view new posts"
most people click it 400 times in an hour

like myself

Liam
04-01-2007, 03:36 AM

http://toolnavy.com/index.php? > view new posts

Liam
04-01-2007, 03:37 AM
most people click it 400 times in an hour

like myself

lol

Choise
04-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks

]v[edusa
04-01-2007, 12:42 PM
nice idea.. this site might help you develop your interpretation.
http://www.angelfire.com/la2/aenima/462concept.html

This site says that there are only 5 phases but the phases actually go on forever. I think the only reason why Drunvalo is stating only these specific levels is because these seem to be the ones that have been seen on the planet and hes not going to list every one of them. The levels have to go on forever or else we are going to be pretty bored for the rest of eternity on the 5th level.

We are only on the second level and the levels keep going on. Our goal is to reach for levels that are very close to a near perfect phi ratio. Everytime we move up to a unified consciousness we get closer to the phi ratio. The way to see this is through a system is called "the circles and squares of the human consciousness" or 'circling the square and squaring the circle'.

Read about it because I refuse to put effort into explaining circling the square and squaring the circle again on this site.

jevons
04-01-2007, 02:10 PM
I think this song is also about science tampering with DNA. I could not think of a better example for illustrating the controversial use of science than DNA modification. Is there a better example for someone trying to "play God"?

"I choose to live and to
Grow, take and give and to
Move, learn and love and to
Cry, kill and die and to
Be paranoid and to
Lie, hate and fear and to
Do what it takes to move through. "

Is anyone else bothered by this part of the song? I mean it is uncommon, though possible, for someone to choose to live, cry, die, be paranoid, and fear. These are things that usually happen to us, not things we choose to do.

Add to this the way he sings this verse. He sings it 2 times: the first time he sounds very peaceful and the second time he is yelling and commanding when he says.

"I choose to live and to
Lie, kill and give and to
Die, learn and love and to
Do what it takes to step through. "

Its as if there are 2 ways he can take this new found wisdom, he can use it to evolve spiritually to the level of Christ-consciousness or he can become God in this world.

I feel that this song takes a huge twist from most Tool songs in that the person from the perspective of whom Maynard is singing starts out with a very innocent idea about life but it takes a turn when he says.

"I wanna feel the changes coming down.
I wanna know what I've been hiding in "

and

"I wanna feel the change consume me,
Feel the outside turning in.
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
Cleansing I've endured within "

Instead of doing a little soul searching to keep himself in check, he wants some payback. This is especially relevant when he says.

"Feel the outside turning in."

The outside is things outside himself, or outside his control. He wants to have control of everything. And he intends to get control of everything through science.

I could be way off here. Things have been really weird lately and I needed to return to my roots to get my footing. I was analyzing some Nine Inch Nails and listening to Tool, lets me see things from a different perspective, and I wasn't really paying attention to the song. I started listening right when Maynard kicked into the 2nd "I choose to live and to." Which I usually write off as a confident re-expression of his new self but since I didn't hear the first line or anything before it all I heard was the anger and selfishness in the line. I had been reading about science ethics earlier so the stars had aligned and I instantly realized this new angle.

This is a horribly simplistic representation of my idea, but I am hoping that you guys can add to, take away from, or destroy it.

Nope.

The choices he makes are an understanding that in order to modify his own destructive nature, he must embrace the mundane, create ritual within breakfasts and shoe tyings.

He will mutate himself; he will also make childish noises in the beginning, because that is what it requires: bathing the tortured child, loving his wonder again.
''i wanna....'' ''i wanna....''
We are all children, until we return to ourselves.

edit: outside in = becoming one with the true nature of the universe (reconnecting, eyes wide open)

Choise
04-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Nope.

The choices he makes are an understanding that in order to modify his own destructive nature, he must embrace the mundane, create ritual within breakfasts and shoe tyings.

He will mutate himself; he will also make childish noises in the beginning, because that is what it requires: bathing the tortured child, loving his wonder again.
''i wanna....'' ''i wanna....''
We are all children, until we return to ourselves.

edit: outside in = becoming one with the true nature of the universe (reconnecting, eyes wide open)

I have already acknowledged that I believe in the common theory about this song. I guess i should have made that more clear in my interpretation of each of the quotes, but what I am saying is that this process he is describing is not only something that you undertake in your search to reach a higher conciousness, it is something everyone does.

What you are describing is the second part of this process which is to come to peace with life. But not everyone comes to these ends, in fact most people go right back into the chaos that is life. However instead of it ending there we now have DNA modification which is the same means as what you are describing but does not reach the same ends. In other words he can evolve himself to a being with 48 chromosomes but that will not make him the same as you.

For example, when I quote "Feel the outside turning in." and say that this means taking control of those things outside your control. This also means to embrace the world and become one with it, which is more fitting to your interpretation.

Inner_Eulogy
04-09-2007, 01:23 PM
I would use the analogy of a bad relationship. In every case going through a bad relationship will either break you and your will or you will grow into a stronger person. This is my opinion of what the song means, he's embracing the fear, the pain and tribulations of life with the knowledge that he will use this "holy gift" experience to learn and grow within oneself. Just like karate masters constantly practice to become a master of oneself, not others. By doing so he uses the Jungian philosophy and chromosome theory as a metaphor to describe him stepping through this process and the benefits he will gain by doing so. I think I'm currently at 46 and 1/2 at least..lol

Kaienne
04-13-2007, 09:20 AM
The first time I heard the song, and, actually, up until meeting Medusa, I was under the assumption that it was in reference to DNA, since humans have 46 chromosomes. However, there's already a creature with 48 (46+2) chromosomes: a horse. So that kinda rules that out a bit, unless Maynard wants to be more horse-like.

Maybe that's what H. stands for! (Kidding.)

]v[edusa
04-13-2007, 12:17 PM
The first time I heard the song, and, actually, up until meeting Medusa, I was under the assumption that it was in reference to DNA, since humans have 46 chromosomes. However, there's already a creature with 48 (46+2) chromosomes: a horse. So that kinda rules that out a bit, unless Maynard wants to be more horse-like.

Maybe that's what H. stands for! (Kidding.)

Whenever they are talking about 46 and 2, they are only referring to the changes made in human DNA.

I think many living things have 48 chromosomes like the horse and the tobacco plant but their chromosomes are organized differently giving that living thing different characteristics.

It is possible for a species to add or duplicate a chromosome giving it more chromosomes.

46 and 2 could just be only symbolizing Christ consciousness and it is possible that its not meant to be taken literally.