PDA

View Full Version : Sell-out

Theres No Love in Fear
03-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Well obviously this song is about hypocrisy and confusion on the subject of selling out, and how most "former" fans who say Tool have sold out, don't know what the meaning is.

Well the term "sell-out" can be a misnomer at times. So I wanted to get everybody's opinion of what that term means to them, bc its confusing at times >.<.

To me, it means being a living advertisement, and subjecting yourself and/or your band to being bought and run by billboards and magazine ads. Some people might agree with me.

To some people it just means a band who appeals too mainstream. What are your guys' (or girls') opinions?

eataduck
03-29-2007, 11:59 AM
i agree with you kinda.to me selling out is about what you talked about but also pandering to what yr fans want you to be.i dont think Tool have ever sold out because they have T-Shirts or videos.I think all the members of Tool have decided what to do with their art collectively,like Fugazi or Sonic Youth.Therefor they are not sellouts in MY book

P.S -i dont care if a band is a "Sell Out"
i mean it is their art so do whatever.the world will not end and noone is hurt so fuck it.You only live once (or 3 or 1000 times)
it really doesnt matter

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
03-29-2007, 10:11 PM
i agree with you kinda.to me selling out is about what you talked about but also pandering to what yr fans want you to be.i dont think Tool have ever sold out because they have T-Shirts or videos.I think all the members of Tool have decided what to do with their art collectively,like Fugazi or Sonic Youth.Therefor they are not sellouts in MY book

P.S -i dont care if a band is a "Sell Out"
i mean it is their art so do whatever.the world will not end and noone is hurt so fuck it.You only live once (or 3 or 1000 times)
it really doesnt matter

hey you were that dumbass that posted a comment about jimmy in the H. thread....yeah thats you snap. Good Work my friend...Listen to number 3 yet?

erazorhead
03-30-2007, 06:56 PM
selling out - altering or diluting your original artistic method or message in order to appeal to a more mainstream (and therefore bigger) audience.

from my own 'personal' dictionary

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
03-31-2007, 07:43 PM
sounds good to me. if someone sells out, and if your defintion is correct, people that sell out are sheep, just blindly do what people want them to do. Thats why i think maynard wrote hooker with a penis. If you change your original thoughts of your personal way of music just to satisify the radio or what have you-your not being truthful to yourself. Fu*kin sell-outs. peace

author of bible
04-02-2007, 04:05 PM
"all you know about me is what i sold ya..
i sold out long before you ever even knew my name"
boy...these "personal definitions" kinda fit into the lyrics