PDA

View Full Version : depression and the loss of morality

no1pickedit
07-13-2003, 01:22 AM
Frankly I don't give a shit what MJK is actualy saying, as an artist myself I feel like a failure if only what I was tring to explain and capture are seen. When any work is done you put more or less than you you expected to, never exactly what you wanted. For me this song is about depression and going against your own morality. The shadow represents both here, and the mention and contex of jesus and the mother mary represent the bitterness that you feel towards religion, when you defile your own morality. When you have gotten to this place where all the values you held dear are laid to waste because of your pain you begin to feel dirty, like anything you touch will turn to shit. There for the second verse. So what's up with the why can't we not be sober part right? Well I know for me during a depression is the only time I feel truly sober, so it's saying why can't I get past this and move on. Well that's my take and it's not even really complete but it's enough to make you think. I know Tool is a band that makes you want to overthink everything but sometimes things are really simple.

spunessa
08-11-2004, 01:38 AM
as a fellow artist i feel you..i feel dirty all the time..and i agree with your interpretation..he is wrestling with his own humanity..soberity..though maybe a refrence to being aware of your actions because the opposite of sobriety would be inebrietated..or intoxicated which implies a loss of control or a numbness or maybe i am wrong..because sometimes being inebriated means being free from restrictions...but i don't think that applies hear..i know i slept for about a year constantly...and was wrestling with my demons and whiskey..to salve the hurt and saddness...starting over doesn't happen..though..wishful thinking

Frankly I don't give a shit what MJK is actualy saying, as an artist myself I feel like a failure if only what I was tring to explain and capture are seen. When any work is done you put more or less than you you expected to, never exactly what you wanted. For me this song is about depression and going against your own morality. The shadow represents both here, and the mention and contex of jesus and the mother mary represent the bitterness that you feel towards religion, when you defile your own morality. When you have gotten to this place where all the values you held dear are laid to waste because of your pain you begin to feel dirty, like anything you touch will turn to shit. There for the second verse. So what's up with the why can't we not be sober part right? Well I know for me during a depression is the only time I feel truly sober, so it's saying why can't I get past this and move on. Well that's my take and it's not even really complete but it's enough to make you think. I know Tool is a band that makes you want to overthink everything but sometimes things are really simple.