PDA

View Full Version : Parabola in Mathmatics

Jenova
11-19-2002, 07:02 AM
Just a random thought, a Parabola in Mathmatics runs on a set of points with the equation y=mxsquared + b.

Fink
11-19-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Jenova
Just a random thought, a Parabola in Mathmatics runs on a set of points with the equation y=mxsquared + b.

y = (1/4p)(x-h)^2 + k

TrueBart
11-19-2002, 08:43 PM
I doubt Tool had mathematics in mind when composing this song..

But I fail to see your point (Which may be why I am doubting it), can you elaborate?

spiralOut
11-20-2002, 09:03 AM
lean more about the parabola (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Parabola.html)

I DO think Tool had math in mind when they titled this song, but to what extent I am not sure. One of the striking features of the parabola is it's symmetry about an axis. From what we know of Tool from cover art, the videos played during the lateralus tour, etc., I think it is pretty safe to say that symmetry is something they find beautiful.

If you were at a concert on this tour, think about the videos. How many mirror image effects were used? How many times did a clip run for 2 seconds forward and then 2 seconds backwards? Symmetry!

What does this reveal about the song? I think that the concept of symmetry is as far as the meaning of "parabola" as a title goes. I'm going to post a new thread in the parabola section with my full thoughts on this song so this one doesn't get too far off topic. If you read it, you'll understand why I think symmetry is important to this song.

within
11-20-2002, 09:08 AM
It could very well have something to do with mathematics... the parabola's path occurs in nature all the time. Every time something is thrown in the air, it follows a parabolic path to the ground (unless thrown straight up). Someone in another thread mentioned the theme "what goes around comes around" as a possible theme. I'm sure there could be other meanings applied to the song, but I've gotta run - anyone have suggestions?

Parabolic shape if you're unfamiliar with it:

http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Curves/Parabola.html

(Edit: Check out spiralOut's link above for a better description of a parabola, I think we posted at the same time)

AtheisticPriest
11-20-2002, 05:50 PM
its a conic section, its what you get when you cut a cone vertically.

myNick
11-21-2002, 06:59 AM
In Spanish, "Parabola" is a mathematical term and is, simultaneously, a religious term. According to the catholicism, Jesus came to the Earth and give us many "Parabolas" in the Bible. It will be related to the mathematical term or to the religious term?

within
11-21-2002, 10:14 AM
do you mean 'parables'? or in spanish is parable spelled parabola?

myNick
11-21-2002, 12:26 PM
to within:

Yes, in spanish, Parable is spell "Parabola". The first time I hear that name I think in Parable (Yes, yes... my fist language is spanish but... you know... Maynard was on tour with A Perfect Circle and... well... Paz is Argentinian). I don't know... maybe Maynard know some spanish words...

Well... I don't know... Is just and idea =)

euthanasia
11-21-2002, 01:20 PM
argentina? joya, ya somos dos aca
ehm, de pedo te conozco?
Lateralus is full of mathematical references, remember the infinite geometric figure in the cover?
parabola from the latin parabola from the greek parabolé: comparacion, proverbio (comparison - proverb)

Fink
11-23-2002, 09:18 AM
To further this discussion in mathematical terms, I would like to introduce the following information about parabolas which no one else seems to have brought up.

-The definition of parabola (from the math book nearest me) is "the locus of points equidistant from a given line (directrix) and a given point (focus)." While a parabola is symmetrical, and does grow faster and faster as it moves away from the vertex, keep this in mind.

-Someone mentioned a parabola is cone cut vertically. Sorry, but that's wrong. All of the conic sections are defined as the intersection a double cone (two cones connected at the 'tip) and a plane. Assuming the cones are placed one on top the other, you get a hyperbola by placing the plane vertically.

-Also, parabolas actually have real world uses. Parabolic mirrors are in automobile headlights with the bulb placed at the focus. This causes all of the light to be reflected straight forward. Also, telescopes use the exact opposite method to have light coming at the telescope be reflected to the focus.

shade13
11-23-2002, 11:36 AM
This was just a random thought of mine, but if you take the symbol for Mercury (the planet) which looks like (Top down) a top open semi circle, a circle, and an equal arm cross. If you were to place the cross inside the circle, it creates the symbol for balance. Now, adding the semi circle, with its vertex at the intersect in the cross, it is a bit reminiscent of a cartesian plane with a parabola on it.

That's just something I pulled out of my ass, but I think it has some interesting implications.

ragna16
11-23-2002, 12:51 PM
A parabola is formed in a conic section by intersecting one cone with a plane at any angle greater than or equal to the angle formed by the edge of a cone and the line leading from the tip of the cone to the center of its base.

A parabolic mirror as Fink defined is the symbol I give to parabola. The concentration of energy in one point. I don't know much past that, though.

Parable
11-23-2002, 05:18 PM
I have simple thought about the title. It's posted in another thread, but I think it belongs here:

As far as the name of the song goes, I think it has to do with the guitar tuning of BEdgbe. I see the (BE) and (be) as the outward coordinates noted on the plane. while the (dg) act as the vertex. That is just a simple thought, but it has been dwelling with me since the Opinions section went down, so it seems so right, however wrong it may be.

get a little closer, get a little closer

myNick
11-26-2002, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by euthanasia
argentina? joya, ya somos dos aca
ehm, de pedo te conozco?
Lateralus is full of mathematical references, remember the infinite geometric figure in the cover?
parabola from the latin parabola from the greek parabolé: comparacion, proverbio (comparison - proverb)

mmmm... Que buena pregunta... Conozco 3 personas que le gustan Tool. Serás alguna de ellas? ;)