PDA

View Full Version : this is about maynard's son

isildur's bane
11-29-2002, 06:01 PM
this song is about the emotionally chaotic situation surrounding the birth of maynard's son,devo.specifically,it talks about the tension and bitterness between maynard and the mother of his child;whether she happens to be his current fiancee (breņa ferguson) or some past girlfriend of his,i wouldn't know,i've never met the guy.anyway,maynard had apparently grown cold and hateful towards this girl ("saw the gap again today"),but she was still very much in love with him.maynard never wanted her to have the kid in the first place ("choke this infant here before me") but she was trying to use the newborn as a way to force maynard to stay with her ("you still love me and you push it on me").their relationship had grown so tense that maynard feared eventually one of them would end up killing the other ("as i claw your fucking throat away,it will end no other way").that's about it,i guess.if breņa is indeed the girl that this song talks about,then clearly things between them have improved greatly,as the APC song "breņa" shows quite well.

Smokin joe
11-30-2002, 09:31 AM
interesting view on the song. I can definitely see what you're getting at, especially with the quotes. I haven't really fully understood the meaning of the song, but I've heard a lot of people with different versions. This is the reason why this band rules so much.

In a way, having my ambiguous view on the song lets me listen to it a lot more than if it really directs my emotions a certain way, about a certain subject.

joe

interpretation
12-07-2002, 01:44 PM
a very possible solution, but Maynard doesn't exactly come out looking like the ideal father in that. No one's perfect I guess, but it seems pretty harsh to wish that your own blood never existed..even if he was an "accident"

I like the idea that this song was nothing related to his life, but instead just a perspective on love and the repercussions...

i really love this song

national
12-09-2002, 10:14 PM
i dont think maynard would write pushit depicting the troubles he might of had when his son was born.
the lyrics are very stronge and powerful, when the child grows up and starts interpreting his fathers poetry and reads pushit i dont think he would be appreciative (son). tho each to his own when interpreting his lyrics, thats just my opinion.........

2L8665
12-13-2002, 04:14 PM
I would have to agree with National on this one. The comment that Maynard would never write lyrics of the such about his son was very touching to me. Maynard loves his son very much and looked very much forward to his birth <<with the fear of the unknown inside, of course, but ...>>. The author Bob Frissell <<"Nothing in This Book Is Tru, But It's Exactly How Things Are">> said that "The gap between the way in which you have evolved and the way in which you haven't is getting greater and greater with the years. IT IS ALMOST LARGE ENOUGH TO KILL YOU." There is a struggle between evolution or not. A struggle between staying with what you know or jumping out into the unknown. Forcing evolution down your throat causing you to choke on it until you make a decision and causing others to choke on it in the process. When two people argue, they feel as if the other is being childish. We can evolve by stopping the childish game or get nowhere by continuing to let it go on. If we continue to let it go on, we will see "that gap again" and again. Work hard and move forward just to see ourselves back at the beginning again.

mare
12-17-2002, 09:38 PM
A while ago I downloaded a live version of pushit. The quality was shitty but at the beginning he stated the song was about problems with a girl named "Quiet." Whether this is the same girl as Brena, I don't know.

the_drummar
12-18-2002, 09:57 PM
after reading the split persona post someone made, I responded to that using references to pushit that may be relevant to this thread. Maynard in that same live version refers to the person he's talking about as "we" and that gets back to his split persona and his struggle between the two sides of maynard.

This is just my Opinion

think laterally and expand universally

StinkyFists
12-19-2002, 12:14 AM
Very good interpretation. I never thought about it that way. I doubt its written about his son but its a very good in depth analysis of a great song. Bravo.

2L8665
12-19-2002, 04:53 AM
D,
I'd like to read the split persona post, sounds interesting. That's what I like about a forum, my post was about a struggle between evolution or not. The split persona post is about a struggle within yourself (or Maynard's self--whatever). They both have the same meaning but worded differently; the different worded posts helps to bring it all together to suit our individuality. Thanks.

Ahnijson_films
01-08-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by interpretation
a very possible solution, but Maynard doesn't exactly come out looking like the ideal father in that. No one's perfect I guess, but it seems pretty harsh to wish that your own blood never existed..even if he was an "accident"

I was born an accident, my parents never had any intention of having me and my mother was on birth control at the time. They have told me about this, and said that while my mom was pregnant with me they really wanted to abort me but couldn't really afford it. They were both terrified and resentful... and they were a married couple. If my mother and father had been divorced and she had purposefully gotten pregnant with me to try to get him back I know his resentment and hatred of the unborn me would have been even greater. Once I was born, for the first little while it was hard on them and they couldn't help but feel a little angry towards the unwanted burden of a child.... but... as time goes on (for most people) you love the child. It's something no one can help, and sooner or later you will grow to be thankful you decided to have them. The fact that James felt hatred towards the child (and this is a big if, I don't know if all of the things posted in the original thread are true) is completely understandable and doesn't make him either a bad father or a bad person. My parents love me very much now and are great parents, as I can only imagine James is.
Just a thought from a different perspective.

DXRocker73
01-09-2003, 10:50 AM
Some "accidents" do indeed turn out to be some of the greatest happenings in our life.

Though I really don't think this song is about Maynard's son, it seems awfully harsh to speak of violence in the wake of a newborn child.

SmileyGladhands
01-10-2003, 07:36 PM
Definately a great theory. I've looked at it many different ways, but I have to say this was not one of them. Great observation. :)