PDA

View Full Version : Best verison?

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
03-16-2007, 08:30 PM
I know we are on a TOOL website but I just wanna ask this question. What version do you like best? I prefer TOOL's but does anyone like the Zeppelin verison better? I never heard it but I am just curious on what everyone thinks?

TOOL Rocks.

Bogart
03-18-2007, 08:49 PM
This is probably one of the only songs where I prefer the re-make. It seems a lot darker than Zeppelin's version, and you can't beat the Maynard screams. I actually have a bootleg dvd where they perform this song and it pwns hard.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
03-18-2007, 09:05 PM
This is probably one of the only songs where I prefer the re-make. It seems a lot darker than Zeppelin's version, and you can't beat the Maynard screams. I actually have a bootleg dvd where they perform this song and it pwns hard.

I personally love TOOL's verison, I have found myself listening quite often to this song. I love maynards screams and the opening is awesome. I love adams gutair. i really cant compare zeppelins verison to TOOL's because i have not heard zeppelins version.
Zeppelin is ,obviously, one of the greatest bands of all time but i cant see myself liking their version over TOOL's. Peace man.

Esurient4Truth
03-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Personally I love this song better than Led Zeppelin's... as everybody else does :D. Tool is straight up darker. The guitar sounds better. The song is longer. OMG (jizzy) This song is awesome, straight up.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
03-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Personally I love this song better than Led Zeppelin's... as everybody else does :D. Tool is straight up darker. The guitar sounds better. The song is longer. OMG (jizzy) This song is awesome, straight up.

agreed. "Tool is straight up darker" Love adams work in this song everytime i hear it. and danny drumming near the end is sick.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
03-19-2007, 08:21 PM
this is a dumb question but i will ask it anyway. My friend listened to this song for the first time the other day and he said that he liked the harmonica during 1:27-1:58. lol he said that is classic zeppelin for ya and i said "Its TOOOL!" and he said "I know" i guess he thought TOOL were using techniques like Zep..is that really a harmonica or is maynard doing his thing on his monotone mic?

Esurient4Truth
03-20-2007, 01:40 PM
I believe that's Maynard

Arkham Asylum
03-20-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm a huge Tool fan and I'm not even a Led Zep fan, but I honestly prefer the original version.

Specifically what I like about the original: the endlessly buzzing guitar and the piano melody.

The cover is an awesome TOOL song, I really like the lyrical changes and vocal approach. I really miss the buzzy guitar though.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
03-20-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm a huge Tool fan and I'm not even a Led Zep fan, but I honestly prefer the original version.

Specifically what I like about the original: the endlessly buzzing guitar and the piano melody.

The cover is an awesome TOOL song, I really like the lyrical changes and vocal approach. I really miss the buzzy guitar though.

I never heard the original so i cant compare them but i can imagine that its a good some because of the band its played by. but i will love the TOOL verison more though because ya know...its TOOL. :)

marek
04-03-2007, 01:34 AM
I think we can't compare these two songs. The original is from 1973 and cover by TOOL was released in 2000. But I must agree, TOOL - No Quarter is greates cover I ever heard. It's mind-blowing and dark... I'm listening to it very often. I like that awesome end... that drumming at the end after last hitting of D string is breath-taking... Hehe, and when I now thinking about it, I downloaded original version cuz I wanted to know how wonderfull the original must be... its the only one song by led zeppelin i heard...

(t)hick
04-03-2007, 05:03 AM
Zeppelin all the way, I just love the piano sections through the middle, with Jimmy Page just laying guitar over the top.

Of all Led Zeppelin songs, I reckon this one's the most musically suited to being 'tooled up' but I'm not really sure the guys totally nailed this one. It's a pretty dark to start with, and for me the original lyrics tap into that whole folklore vibe that led zep have going on and I like that. The tool version seems more American.

I also have a live Zeppelin mp3 that goes for twelve and a half minutes and is slower, that outdoes both the original and tool's version. So that one sits at the top of my list.

I never heard the original
Do yourself a favour

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
04-03-2007, 02:54 PM
im gonna look into it. cheers.

paravariations
04-03-2007, 08:26 PM
I like the Tool version a lot better.
Like a lot of people said, it's darker. I like that.
I think they did a really nice job covering the song.
It used to be my favorite Tool song.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
04-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Favorite song? I wouldnt go that far my friend. A favorite tool song or any band for that matter should always be one of their own. not a cover. still an awesome song though.

ProfoundHaytred
04-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Tool's version by far. When Tool played No Quarter back in 1994, Maynard seemed to be so into the song, listening to it now just gives me a greater appreciation for the song.

astraka
04-24-2007, 01:48 AM
The original is a very good song. Tool's version is a masterpiece. ***

mawrestler_140
05-06-2007, 01:36 PM
You cant say tool's version is a masterpiece, it's not their song. LOL

Also it kind of bothers me when people say they like tools cover better without listening to led zeppelin's song.

All in all I like the led zeppelin version better, but tool still did a great cover.

flypaper
05-20-2007, 10:55 PM
I like both versions.

However i sort of prefer tools version, and this is coming from someone who heard Zeppelins version first.

If you enjoy the original you should watch Zep play no quarter live on their 'song remains the same' video. Its very good

fuct
05-26-2007, 05:42 AM
Hi,

Does anymore know when this track was recorded? i was lsitening to salival the other day and i couldnt find out much info on the amazing cover,

Esurient4Truth
05-26-2007, 11:51 AM
2001 I think.

hushypushy
05-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Well, I really love Tool and I think all those guys are really talented...but still, I don't think they are talented enough to have released an album in 2000 with a song that was recorded in 2001 ;)

No Quarter was recorded in 1996 during the Ænima sessions.

Eulogy33
05-29-2007, 10:57 AM
heard the original..and gotta say, TOOL owns this song. It doesnt even sound like a zep song.

Ghostwriter
06-04-2007, 03:57 PM
The Tool version creates extreme emotions in me...

GaiusCaligula
06-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Tools version is fucking tits but led zeps got the piano interlude which fornicates breasts much harder

Ghostwriter
06-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Tool Dangit!

Ghostwriter
06-18-2007, 10:13 AM
The Tool version creates extreme emotions in me...

That came out really gay. I apologize to anyone who was offended by the "fruitiness" of this comment.

hushypushy
06-18-2007, 05:21 PM
I think you're the only one, man.

Pure As We Begin
06-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Tool took something great, and made it perfect.

Ghostwriter
06-22-2007, 07:17 AM
I have never heard the Led Zepplin version, is it good?

Arkham Asylum
06-22-2007, 07:20 AM
I have never heard the Led Zepplin version, is it good?

It's Zeppelin's best song.

Does the thread title say Verizon?

hushypushy
06-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Does the thread title say Verizon?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/venison

emir7
07-21-2007, 09:40 AM
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the Zeppelin version. I don't think the voice distortion worked on the Tool version, although his scream on the "where no one goes" part is pretty awesome. Overall though... I'll pick LZ just because they're a very tough band to beat, and if someone were to try to do it, I'm glad it was Tool. Listening to their version got me into the original, essentially.

ivasativa
08-13-2007, 02:26 PM
I know this thread is kinda old, but I just read through it and I am almost pissed off.

First I cant believe that some people who never even heard the song and obviously never listened to LZ were .... ok I will be polite... bold enough to comment, on top of which, they just supposed that Tool's version is better. Education itself is a tool.

Second for the ones who did hear that song and still call Tool's version a masterpiece etc. Thank you in the name of all the greatest bands who paved the way for Tool to be what they are today. An opinion like that is extremely subjective. And ignorant is the one who cannot recognize the value of an originally created MASTERPIECE. There is a reason why Tool actually chose to do a cover of this song.

Its ok to say that you enjoy Tool's version more without even explaining why, that would be understood, but you cant hold a statement that "it is better".

Covers can be better only if they are covers of , for example a U2 song. I mean all their songs can be better or any other band that is just jerkin off on the guitar.

But I really doubt it that ANYONE in the future will be able to cover a Tool song "better".

mrskeenan
08-22-2007, 05:10 PM
hmmm...this is a tricky subject, i mean zeppelin and tool are both awesome bands, though i am tool biased, i still openmindedly have debated about this with myself, and i like the tool version better. they changed the lyrics up and i prefer the tool lyrics. i have listened to both versions, but i just prefer tool's. of course you do have to give credit to zeppelin it's an awesome version and the original