PDA

View Full Version : who is it for???

BlueTape
03-14-2007, 04:08 PM
i have ideas and theories that lead to the eulogy being about 5 different people

what do you all think?

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
03-14-2007, 08:04 PM
i have ideas and theories that lead to the eulogy being about 5 different people

what do you all think?

L. Ron Hubbard. That f**Kin peice of shit. haha

Inner_Eulogy
03-15-2007, 11:44 AM

what do you all think?

Yeah, your momma, ya' sista, ya' brotha, ya' grandma and the old malnourished 3-legged dog in your garbage covered wanna be yard

smeefsmeef
03-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Jesus Christ, Maynard himself, Bill Hicks, L Ron Hubbard, or Paramahansa Yogananda

StephenHenkel
03-16-2007, 05:32 PM

what do you all think?

Jesus. The referation to the cross confirmed it for me.

author of bible
03-24-2007, 01:39 PM
cross is a metaphor.

notregistered
03-24-2007, 01:49 PM
According to an interview with maynard...

Who is "Eulogy" about? My guesses are Jesus Christ, Paul D'Amour
(Tool's ex-bassist), or Kurt Cobain.
"There are no songs on the album about Paul. People might think that,
but it's not the case."

Is it about Kurt Cobain? I wouldn't think you'd be a fan of his.
"I appreciate what he did. I'm not really happy with his professional
widow. The song's about tendencies, not about a specific individual.
It's about tendencies of people wanting to stand on a soap box and
sacrifice themselves in some way. We don't need that process anymore.
You're on your own now."

bewildered1
03-25-2007, 04:08 AM
wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!

Esurient4Truth
03-25-2007, 12:13 PM
L Ron Hubbard

Everybody always thinks Jesus....

BlueTape
03-25-2007, 10:28 PM
jesus is wayy to literal, kurt cobain would be nice but i doubt it, l ron hubbard lol wat a **** and all his clones haha

maynard himself would be my best guess, passing on from his undertow/opiate days into his new self, the forty six & 2, third eye open, etc.

author of bible
04-01-2007, 04:12 PM
my guess..
all "middle men" in general..

FightingMonkey
04-02-2007, 11:23 AM
You're on your own now."

I really like this interpretation, regardless if Maynard himself said it. People- particularly celebrities who want to seem righteous or humane- do often pretend to sacrifice themselves for the sake of others, but the truth of the fact is this is a dog eat dog world. It's everyman for himself. It sucks that things have gotten this way, because I for one feel if we all worked together and got along things would be better, but it's just not possible anymore.

HateSolstice
04-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Why does everyone thing that every single negative Tool song is about L. Ron Hubbard?

*~*»€«(Đispositioń)»€«*~*
04-22-2007, 12:25 AM
Ever notice how people usually ask questions directly answered in the FAQ? Anyway, i don't think it is about jesus, l. ron hubbard, kurt cobaine or any of the aforementioned people. Not every negative comment found in Tool's lyrics is directly about L. Ron.

chalk_line
04-22-2007, 12:37 AM
Not every negative comment found in Tool's lyrics is directly about L. Ron.
rupert murdock either.

i agree that this song is about a type of person and not a specific person. but make of it waht you will

RachJacob
04-26-2007, 08:50 AM
I said it once I will say it again; TOOL has gone and taken all the wonderful metaphors of the world. However they all aren't that difficult to understand, some people will sit there and say "no that was too easy it must be something else". Well what do Jesus and Maynard have in common, they both speak about an understanding that even today only about a million people understand. So take it literally or not it all has the same meaning.

hobbitcore
05-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Jesus. The referation to the cross confirmed it for me.

someone's never heard the phrase "get off the cross, we need the wood"

Airport Mesa
05-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Only until recently have I thought it could be James Herbert himself.

mawrestler_140
05-04-2007, 07:35 AM
According to an interview with maynard...

Who is "Eulogy" about? My guesses are Jesus Christ, Paul D'Amour
(Tool's ex-bassist), or Kurt Cobain.
"There are no songs on the album about Paul. People might think that,
but it's not the case."

Is it about Kurt Cobain? I wouldn't think you'd be a fan of his.
You're on your own now."

Fuck kurt cobain. Layne staley's death is constantly overshadowed by cobains, when Layne clearly had 100000000X the talent.

Rod
05-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Fuck kurt cobain. Layne staley's death is constantly overshadowed by cobains, when Layne clearly had 100000000X the talent.

Layne was the man, but all he did was sing, I thought Jerry wrote all the lyrics. Cobain had some considerable tallent. Layne seemed to be in the background even when both of them were around.

biff
05-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Layne was the man, but all he did was sing, I thought Jerry wrote all the lyrics. Cobain had some considerable tallent. Layne seemed to be in the background even when both of them were around.

This is incorrect. Staley also, wrote lyrics and guitar parts. There are clearly "Layne" songs and "Jerry" songs in the AIC collection. A Layne song might be "Head Creeps" and a Jerry song might be Heaven Beside You. Layne was taking guitar lessons from Jerry and others throughout their career. Lots of "Cantrell/Staley" publishing credits.

thomasknight
05-10-2007, 03:52 AM
I think this song is about the subjection of the person singing it. (Who MJK is portraying). The object of the song is quite irrelevant and could be any of the above. It's about how people build up false images of people they admire in their mind. They hear someone say something the agree with, then think of them as a great messiah almost. Although not always that extreme. When the object doesn't live upto those standards they become frustrated and feel betrayed. I don't think MJK is making a point about someone who he sees as being a fool martyr, as much as the song is ironic. In this way, the song is closely linked to "Hooker", in as much as the subjection of that song is the object here, and vice versa.

RachJacob
05-14-2007, 08:42 AM
I think this song is about the subjection of the person singing it. (Who MJK is portraying). The object of the song is quite irrelevant and could be any of the above. It's about how people build up false images of people they admire in their mind. They hear someone say something the agree with, then think of them as a great messiah almost. Although not always that extreme. When the object doesn't live upto those standards they become frustrated and feel betrayed. I don't think MJK is making a point about someone who he sees as being a fool martyr, as much as the song is ironic. In this way, the song is closely linked to "Hooker", in as much as the subjection of that song is the object here, and vice versa.

I agree, it is human nature to be understood and when an individual explains a feeling you have yet to find the words for, you may look towards them as an equal or higher.

Resolution
06-03-2007, 04:54 PM
joan of arc...

hahahaha

Half Full
06-05-2007, 06:44 PM
I always thought it was Bill Hicks, Jesus, or Adolf Hitler.

slamminsalmon
06-05-2007, 07:00 PM
they are all love songs!!!!

Mr. Electric Ocean
06-06-2007, 07:51 AM
Its about Miho

GaiusCaligula
06-14-2007, 11:20 AM
As it has previously established this song is about nobody in particular. Simply put it is about whom ever the listener wants it to be about. That being said it about me, oh yes nobody but me for i am the alpha and omega. bitches

Sajadiah
06-20-2007, 03:32 PM
I agree that it is about no one in particular. I think that it is about each and everyone of us and the questions that arise in our lifetimes. We have these martyrs all over the world fighting and persecuting for their own agendas. The "sheep" of the world grasp onto these convictions and seek validity in what others would die for. At this point it becomes personal for them much the same as Jesus and his ideal was. This, and this alone is the PERFECT metaphor that Maynard may have been looking for. I think it is more about a question of conviction than about a particular individual. Just my two cents...for whatever it is worth

felix45
06-22-2007, 09:23 PM
anyone who claims to lead the way, who says they'd sacrafice themselves for the greater good, and is morally fit (almost to say that they are better than the rest of us).

such an example would be Jerry Falwell (yay he is dead now)

he fits the song perfectly ***. goes for douchebags like him.

uummm..nocoolnames
07-11-2007, 12:31 AM
i always viewed this song as being about assholes who try to stir the waters for some personal objective or vendetta, and what happens to said asshole when his followers start to think. the "herd" doesnt like to know its being used for a personal goal, and they slay said asshole

msp
07-18-2007, 04:24 PM
IT'S ABOUT ANYBODY WHO BETRAYED...ANYBODY WHO ACTS LIKE THEY WALK ON WATER...AND SHOULD GET OFF THEIR DAMN PEDESTAL.

saintjoe
07-30-2007, 02:53 AM

youre nuts man, Kurt Cobain was freaking awesome, just because his followers sucked dosent mean hes not great.