PDA

View Full Version : T.V influence

Torn-tool
03-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Have anyone noticed the BIG usage of T.V references!? i guess you did.
As you all know, the lyrics of this song contains alot of references to T.V characters, actors and shows. the song seems really connected to "vicarious" which obviously begins with "Eye on the T.V/ I own a T.V" which leads you to the next song of the album and that is "Jambi", and jambi is also a T.V character. Maynard seemed to focus on the T.V or the media and its influence on an individual. as you can hear in the song, the guy from "Rosetta stoned" uses his knowledge in T.V as metephors to explain to the doctor his abnormal expriences.

The album seemed really keen on the bad influence of the media to a human being in some angles i guess... what do you think ??

tryptosaur
03-16-2007, 09:16 AM
When trying to explain anything strange and alien to someone, the whole trick is to bridge the familiar with the unknown somehow. Music does this beautifully, especially when TOOL does it. The synergy of rhythm, shifting and layered tones with descriptive language is an ancient technique. More recent developments such as TV and other forms of media naturally(?) enter the equation as time moves foward(?)
Even though, for instance the name "Jesus" is quite common in Latin-American countries, to English-speaking people it is a religious reference, unless it's pronounced the Spanish way.
So TV references are almost inevitable, since the media is absorbed by our memory and like energy is neither created nor destroyed, though altered in many interesting ways. Just like the many channels on TV, we have many channels of consciousness that we can tune into.
Like the difference between plasmogony and karyogamy. In the first case the cytoplasms fuse but the nuclei remain independent, and in the second the nuclei actually fuse, too. I'm taking a course in biology, so I hope no one minds the fucked up analogy. A TV program, as we watch it becomes absorbed by our memory, where at first it retains its own nucleus for the most part--that is we know it's not something that actually is happening before our eyes, it's been rehersed and all that. But then the nucleus of the program begins to fuse with our own "nucleus" or mind or total of all of our experience. The fact that they were actors acting is separated because if we were constantly aware of the falseness of it, the possibilities of meaning would be limited within the context of our lives.
In a similar way, having a mind blowing experience like Rosetta Stoned is like kind of cryptically applying one's suspension of disbelief to a seeming collage of concepts that instantly elicit some dissonant sources(yet finding beauty in the dissonance) thus giving definition to that which at first seemed beyond definition.
TV programs all have there own agenda, which gives the addition of these references a sort of paranoid feel to this song. The agendas of all others are not important here, they were only bits and pieces of a message so huge, so cryptic that the one telling the story is beyond certain that he is the "chosen one". The message is being broadcast all the time, yet does anyone realize how to decifer it? He does! So everything that comes out of the TV is crucial information--if you REALLY are paying attention.
In this awesome state the many have been revealed as the ONE. The complete coalescence of the meaning of EVERYTHING. The only reason anybody thinks that anything can be unrelated to anything else is because they are not using their REAL EYES. Only then would they REALIZE, and be able to separate the real truth from the REAL LIES.
I should probably drink something.