PDA

View Full Version : Talking Heads and Punditry

ErgotSomethingThere
03-09-2007, 01:24 PM
I was just thinking recently on whether or not Jambi could be about a Television Pundit; someone who got lucky enough to get on TV and put their 2 cents forward for all of the Nation to see. Except for that most of the time a political pundit does not necesarily get to say what they really want to say, they are fed scripts that fall along a particular party line. In that way, a person who is full of intelligent insights and personal truth can be reduced to nothing more than a Jambi, an annoying, bleeting Talking Head. Could this song possible be about a Talking Head's struggle to say what they want to on TV, even if it would come at the cost of their career?

The light being passed on in the song would be that TH's load of personal truth.
They would be pushing it all away by saying the truth.

yes there are numerous lyrical holes in my little theory here. I just thought that the pundit idea was an interesting take on this great song. Thank You.

hobblegobble
03-09-2007, 01:33 PM
hey, i've never thought of it that way. Thanks for the brain food...

Esurient4Truth
03-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Wow. I honestly never thought of it that way. Shit, now I can relate more to Jambi than ever.

Inner_Eulogy
03-09-2007, 02:34 PM
It's an interesting thought but that's REALLLLYYY fucking far fetched

hobblegobble
03-09-2007, 02:54 PM
hmm..I didn't think so...it actually seems pretty simple...

ErgotSomethingThere
03-11-2007, 02:23 PM
It seems that the main issue being addressed is losing track of why the pundit began doing what they were doing in the first place; a theme that can be universaly translated. They aspire to be a pundit not so that they can be controlled by a party, or a singular streamlined message, but just so that they can put their two cents forward, and be able to influence other people. And to a limited degree, that is what they are able to do at first (with only minimal influence). Then they are offered a wider audience and a bigger paycheck. They will be told that they are really smart and have a truthful message, but they could influence more people if they went with a slightly different message. THey could feasibly change the world with the position being offered to them! This is a devil's deal, a trick that a lot of people succumb to. They accept the offer and gain their wider audience and bigger paycheck, but at the cost of dumbing down their message, or even abandoning it all together and adopting a new one. Therefore their infleunce has been subverted, and they are spun into somebody that is just doing it for the money. In a way they lose the light of their own reason.
This theme in and of itself is not limited to the realm of the TV pundit, but I only came upon the theme because of the Jambi->Talking Head->pundit line of personal reasoning. I just hope this makes sense, and that my lack of lyrical connections wil not tarnish this idea.

jevons
03-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Nope.

Cheesegreater
03-12-2007, 01:11 PM
You're telling the truth about pundits. I see no coorelation with Jambi though.

jevons
03-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Hence ''nope.''

*walks away with shit-eating grin*

Inner_Eulogy
03-12-2007, 01:16 PM
You're telling the truth about pundits. I see no coorelation with Jambi though.

Me neither