PDA

View Full Version : A Tool book, for my Mum

eek
07-08-2003, 03:35 AM
Late last year while visiting my parents, Mum asked me to put some Tool on (yeah, my Mum rocks ;). As the albums played through and I helped her out in the kitchen I explained what I knew of the lyrics and the meanings in them. Somewhere along the line she said "Wow, you should write a few of those down for me." I agreed, but didn't think much more of it until I got home.

A few days later, with Christmas approaching, I had the idea to make a book with all of the lyrics of the recent albums, and exlplanations to go with them as a gift for my Mum. Not wanting to be too ambitious I, gave myself a solid month to get it all together.

Seven months later, it's finally finished, compiled, bound (by hand) and delivered.

Thanks to everyone on this forum who got me thinking and churning through all of this. Your thought's and opinions have made this project possible.

In gratitude, I give you the book as PDF. There is only one real book, but you are all welcome to the electronic version.

Cheers, respect, regards, thanks,
Steve (eek).

http://www.vanillacircus.net/book/

6bit
07-08-2003, 08:59 AM
I can't get the file to load properly, anyone else have that problem?

Tantobourne
07-08-2003, 09:33 AM
eek, that's a phenomenal piece of inspiration and a great gift ; ) *laughs* a coffee table Tool book....

I like it, a lot. Would I be a nit-picky asshole if I pointed out that your dedication has the word "tought" in it instead of "taught"? *shrugs* Perhaps it's an Aussie spelling?

Regardless, it's great. I'll take one, too.

-Tant

euthanasia
07-08-2003, 01:38 PM
That is beautiful.

Alexandra
07-08-2003, 01:57 PM
Late last year while visiting my parents, Mum asked me to put some Tool on (yeah, my Mum rocks ;). As the albums played through and I helped her out in the kitchen I explained what I knew of the lyrics and the meanings in them. Somewhere along the line she said "Wow, you should write a few of those down for me." I agreed, but didn't think much more of it until I got home.

A few days later, with Christmas approaching, I had the idea to make a book with all of the lyrics of the recent albums, and exlplanations to go with them as a gift for my Mum. Not wanting to be too ambitious I, gave myself a solid month to get it all together.

Seven months later, it's finally finished, compiled, bound (by hand) and delivered.

Thanks to everyone on this forum who got me thinking and churning through all of this. Your thought's and opinions have made this project possible.

In gratitude, I give you the book as PDF. There is only one real book, but you are all welcome to the electronic version.

Steve (eek).

http://www.vanillacircus.net/book/Dude, that is really, really, really freakin' awesome. I have printed out 28 pages of lyrics, all formated to my tastes, so I have my own Tool lyric book, but that's quantum mechanics (really tiny) compared to the stature of what your creative genius actually DID.

My mom is cool like that too. She likes most of their songs, and really loves Maynard's lyrics. Although some are just a bit...yeah...*whispers "anal sex"*

Yes mstajaduh, I think the band would be proud too. That's quite a compliment eek. ;)

eek
07-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Wow... thankyou all :)

6bit, you'll need Acrobat Reader version 5 or above.
You can get it free from here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Tantobourne, not at all. Thankyou, I've made the correction ;) In spite of some hurried proof-reading I think there are a few other typo's that slipped through. In the real book the lower edge margin is a little smaller than it should be too, but what-are-ya-gonna-do? It came out pretty nice all in all and Mum digs it.

Thanks again everyone, I'm pretty darn stoked that you like it. :)

eek
07-09-2003, 04:04 AM
My mom is cool like that too. She likes most of their songs, and really loves Maynard's lyrics. Although some are just a bit...yeah...*whispers "anal sex"*

Haha, tell me about it. I had to explain Stinkfist to my mum :X
She's a big girl though, she'll survive, and hopefully learn that it's superficial and metaphorical like that.

But yeah, I didn't do Undertow, and Prison Sex is a lot more literal. Thank God I didn't have go though trying to write up the last verse for that one..

RecapModotti
07-13-2003, 03:36 PM
I read the whole thing, top notch work there, keep up the good work :)

nate
07-13-2003, 06:19 PM
Thank you for sharing it with the community, very nice work. I'm going to print it out and staple it together. (Using some sort of insane stapler that can penetrate over 80 sheets of paper of course)

RecapModotti
07-14-2003, 02:10 PM
by the way, i printed it all out double sided so i only used 40 pages or so which is a lot easier to handle. my printer has a double sided printing option so it made it pretty easy.

eek
07-14-2003, 02:39 PM
Good idea Recap'.

Nate, if you find such a stapler, post a pic of it ;)
We used to have one at high school that might've had a go at it. It was just like an oversized regular stapler, but a lot beefier, and with a huge (almost 1m) handle for leverage (yes, it was bolted to the table).

nate
07-14-2003, 07:06 PM
I tried using a regular stapler and hitting the lever down with a big hammer...the son of a bitch broke my stapler. Perhaps I'll just print it out on really really thin paper.

eek
07-14-2003, 08:23 PM
You could punch it or drill it and stick it in a ring binder.

Aenimal
07-15-2003, 01:12 PM
This is one extremely impressive peice of work. kudos.

eek
08-13-2003, 01:41 PM
*bump*

Ok... after a lot of people emailing me, I've decided to contact the band and see what they think of the book. I've got mixed feelings about doing so, but hey, what've I got to lose?

The worst thing that could happen is that I could end up in jail for reproducing lyrics without permission I guess. ;)

Anyway... we'll see how it goes.

*sends email*

polarforsker
08-14-2003, 03:47 AM
This is great... i wish my mom loved Tool (she digs deftones though, hehe)

Well this book is fantastic, whenever some "dumb schmuck" ask me why Tool is amazing i can allow myself to slap this certain individual with this particular book of answers! I love it!

Windir
08-14-2003, 03:53 AM
My mom sucks!

nate
08-14-2003, 10:42 AM
I just got the time to finish reading the book, and once again, excellent work. And not to degrade it or anything, and I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but it was Disposition, Reflection, and Triad that were originally performed as one song, not Lateralus, Disposition, and Reflection as stated in the book.

LuisCarruthers
08-21-2003, 04:40 PM
Wow!

That is a great job.

Your Mom/Mum must think you are a real sweetie.

blindsight
02-09-2004, 03:41 PM
amazing. absolutely amazing.

blindsight
02-09-2004, 03:43 PM
*bump*

Ok... after a lot of people emailing me, I've decided to contact the band and see what they think of the book. I've got mixed feelings about doing so, but hey, what've I got to lose?

The worst thing that could happen is that I could end up in jail for reproducing lyrics without permission I guess. ;)

Anyway... we'll see how it goes.

*sends email*
best of luck...
let us know what comes of it

Gh0sT
02-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Wow..........this is really amazing, you can tell it took some time to compile lol, i can't see what the band could get angry about with you sending it to them

eek
02-10-2004, 03:38 AM
best of luck...
let us know what comes of it

kind of what i expected... no reply ;)
i'm not dissapointed.

Sgt. Sassafrass
02-10-2004, 02:31 PM
OMG, that is amazing. You sure must've put a ton of effort into that. Kudos.

P.S.-Dude, your mom kicks total ass!! Make sure she knows that. I asked for Undertow for Christmas, and as soon as my mom saw that "Prison Sex"
was a song title, she deemed it something that Santa Claus would NEVER think of bringing a good boy...even after I explained to her that it was a metaphor.

eek
02-11-2004, 12:09 AM
Thankyou.

Ironically Prison Sex is one of the few songs I think is pretty literal. What would you say it's a metaphor for? One of the reasons I didn't cover Undertow in the book was that I wasn't sure I wanted to be serving up 'I have found some kind of temporary sanity in this shit, blood and cum on my hands' to my mum. ;)

However, she did take Stinkfist in the spirit that it was intended. But then, I'm fairly sure that Stinkfist is a metaphor. :)

Anyway, my advice is to convince your mum that music can be an expression of all things, not just the happy la la ones, and avoiding coming terms with some of the ... quirkier ... sides of life doesn't help one deal with them any better.

Try Stinkfist out on her. I quite like the idea of that song as a disgusting guardian keeping out those who aren't ready to be open-minded.

Sgt. Sassafrass
02-11-2004, 10:43 AM
Ironically Prison Sex is one of the few songs I think is pretty literal. What would you say it's a metaphor for?

Heh, well I think that we can all agree that it's not about getting taken down in prison...

Well, the more I think of it, dammit, you're right. It's not about a literal prison, but that's about where the metaphorical aspect ends. I dunno, I guess child abuse, rape, etc., and the consequences therein are not something my mom can palate.

Oh god, something about discussing Stinkfist with her gives me chills of revulsion. There's no way I'd ever be able to get past the fisting someone in the ass part. I managed to get Undertow, so I think I'll be happy and leave it alone. :)

astaroth
02-16-2004, 01:37 AM
hehehe dude thankyou so much for the book, however you stole my idea- how very Australian of you ;)
I have always planned on writing a biography on Tool, maybe i might work on that.

But seriously dude, i think i speak for everyone here when i say that your efforts are well constructed and very informative- congrats

stephenlc
02-16-2004, 07:01 AM
I am about to print and read the whole thing.

eek
02-16-2004, 11:10 PM
hehehe dude thankyou so much for the book, however you stole my idea- how very Australian of you ;)
I have always planned on writing a biography on Tool, maybe i might work on that.

But seriously dude, i think i speak for everyone here when i say that your efforts are well constructed and very informative- congrats

Sorry man.
Thanks for the kind words though. :)

Yeah, do a biography. That'd be kind of neat.

astaroth
02-25-2004, 01:04 AM
Sorry man.
Thanks for the kind words though. :)

lol its all good eek, you got nothing to be sorry for!Youd did a better job than i could of done :)

eek
03-15-2004, 12:49 AM
The book has been updated.

I've fixed up a couple of spelling mistakes, and added in the whispering from 46 & 2 that I'd previously managed to somehow leave out. Oh, and the PDF now has a propper electronic bookmark / contents to make it easier to find specific songs or albums, and it should also now be compatible with reading tools for the blind.

Carry on! :)

xStainDx
03-16-2004, 01:12 AM

Steve (eek).

Finished?! You Completely Left out Undertow and OPIATE!

o.O

porter200
03-19-2004, 12:14 PM
I would just like to say thank you. That is a tremendous work of art, and it was an even greater gesture to allow all of us the privillage to read it. I think that this is a perfect example of what Tool is trying to teach all of it's fans, the idea of working together to expand our knowledge as a whole. So much emphasis is placed on personal gain and advancement, that greed takes over and drives us insane, but it is acts like these that give me hope because there are still people out there working for the advancement of the human race and not the advancement of themselves. Thank you to everyone who took the time to read this post.

Porter

africanherbsman
03-25-2004, 02:26 AM
Right on.

triad636
06-13-2005, 05:04 PM
great piece of work... will we get a 2nd part for when the new album comes out??

eek
06-14-2005, 03:53 AM

will we get a 2nd part for when the new album comes out??

Hmmm... probably, yes. But it might take me a while ;)

spiral_out:keep_going
07-13-2005, 03:56 AM
this is very beautiful. you are a good person :-) i bet your mum treasures that book so much.

5th Eye
07-13-2005, 09:22 AM
I really like this book too, but it would be nice to see an addition for Opiate and Undertow.

Petary791
07-14-2005, 09:38 PM
The true bible has been written.

You don't mind if I print it off and make it into my own book do you?

EDIT: And one more thing, what does your mom think about "Hooker With a Penis"? :-P

eek
07-15-2005, 04:42 AM
The true bible has been written.

You don't mind if I print it off and make it into my own book do you?

EDIT: And one more thing, what does your mom think about "Hooker With a Penis"? :-P

Not at all. Everyone is welcome to print and bind up their own copies if that's what pleases them.

As for HWaP... she thinks it's an 'interesting' name for a song. ;)

Petary791
07-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Not at all. Everyone is welcome to print and bind up their own copies if that's what pleases them.

As for HWaP... she thinks it's an 'interesting' name for a song. ;)

Damn, your mom is so cool. I want to print this out soo bad. Do you know what I would need to buy or where I would need to go to get this binded? I would prolly want better paper than computer paper too... what should I use?

eek
07-29-2005, 09:43 PM
Do you know what I would need to buy or where I would need to go to get this binded? I would prolly want better paper than computer paper too... what should I use?

Most bigger cities should have a paper shop or two. Just look them up and try to find a paper that won't bleed too much with an inkjet (unless you can use a laser printer). Otherwise an art supply shop should be able to help you.

Other than that, to stab bind it (like I did with mine) you'll need some string, some clamps, a pawl (like a giant sewing needle) and some big pegs or clips. I've put some book making resources up here for people who want to make their own: www.vanillacircus.net/book/bookmaking/

Good luck and have fun.

Ertai
08-20-2005, 08:08 AM

Steve (eek).

first time i read the book, and i enjoyed it

mohaafajita
07-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Necro threading this. Anyone have a copy of this on their pc? I would like to have it. The link is dead. Been looking everywhere for this again. So if anyone would care to upload it, many thanks. Please!

5th Eye
07-19-2010, 11:40 AM
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=114464#post2777836

SpiralOut34
07-22-2010, 11:59 AM
I am just on the H. interpretation, but I would like to say (a little late!) that this is a beautiful gift. Thank you for sharing it.