PDA

View Full Version : Reflection, through my eyes...

bohanman
07-07-2003, 06:29 PM
I posted this as a reply to "Finally the real meaning..." but I decided I wanted to start a new thread with this idea, just to hopefully get some feedback, Ive always wanted to see what people would say about this interpretation...

Ok, I believe Tool, if not all music, should be recieved by your own self and interpreted into what it means to you, not by what someone says it means, in other words I don't really think any song should have a meaning except the meaning that you keep for yourself, the meaning and emotion that rose in your soul when you blessed your eardrums with the sound. I like all of the previous interpretations, yet a few friends and I were sitting around one night silently listening to this song in the darkness and we started talking about the meaning, now normally I don't like to get into these conversations, but I leap into this one. The way I view this song is:

Maynard makes reference to the moon, which we all know the moon reflects light upon the earth... Then he goes on, singing:

" As full and bright as I am
*This light is not my own* and
A million light reflections pass over me
Its source is bright and endless
She resuscitates the hopeless
Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting "

Ok now, think about this... every person on earth is a reflection of someone else, more so a reflection of many people. The reason you have the knowledge you do is because someone elses knowledge was once reflected upon you, same with the disposition you hold. Naturally you look around you and unknowingly take in other peoples personalities, taking bits and pieces of their personalities in order to forge your own, as they have done with other people... its a giant circle, everyone is a reflection off everyone else.

" And you will come to find that *we are all one mind*
Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable."

Now I'm not saying this is right by any means, I would just like some of you Tool fans out there to take a look at this and tell me what you think. It seems interesting to me and maybe it has already been brought up, if so I apologize for taking up your time.

TJBundy
07-28-2003, 10:19 AM
... its a giant circle, everyone is a reflection off everyone else.

great thought...but now how about this...

what if each person's experience is merely a reflection of their own mind?...meaning that your "reality", each person you meet, each object you touch, etc... is merely a thought in your head. you reflect yourself onto everything in your life, therefor if you reflect optimism and positivity and love, you will see nothing but these things. on the other hand, if you project/reflect negativity and hate you will experience nothing but hate and shit. make sense?