PDA

View Full Version : Right in Two Lyrics (Again), but hey, read it anyways

Esurient4Truth
03-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Okay, lately I've been bent on the whole pronounciation thing.

GREEAT.

At 3:36
"Cut it _ in all, right in two." It almost sounds like he's saying "cut it like in all, right in two." Hmm, I investigated.

This has been one plausible statement:
Cutting it all right in two

Ummm... no. People, pardon me, but will you turn the damn bass down, turn up a treble equalizer setting, and listen for once? (CD and Car Stereo users excuse my rant). Good lord!

"Cut it [like] in all, right in two."
It's very clear he says "in all."

I've also heard a "divide in all" statement, but that's clearly false.

Okay, here's my theory:
CUT IT RIGHT IN ALL, RIGHT IN TWO

If you'd listen, you'd hear what I mean. Start at 3:36, and listen.
CUT IT [LIKE] IN ALL, RIGHT IN TWO

Hmm....

Right. Kind of like 'aight.
In the song, like is not fully pronoucned. It sounds...mumbled. So we get a ike, or 'aight sound.

Now, it is very hard for me to prove this, but due to Maynard's quick "improvision," or vocals of trying to fit the word "right" in there, it's hard to determine if that's the word or not.

Please give this a listen through. It fits doesn't it?

Cheesegreater
03-01-2007, 08:44 PM

GREEAT.

"Cut it _ in all, right in two." It almost sounds like he's saying "cut it like in all, right in two." Hmm, I investigated.

Ummm... no. People, pardon me, but will you turn the damn bass down, turn up a treble equalizer setting, and listen for once? (CD and Car Stereo users excuse my rant). Good lord!

Okay, here's my theory:

Hmm....

In the song, like is not fully pronoucned. It sounds...mumbled. So we get a ike, or 'aight sound.

Now, it is very hard for me to prove this, but due to Maynard's quick "improvision," or vocals of trying to fit the word "right" in there, it's hard to determine if that's the word or not.

You want it to fit. I'm still old-school. I think he's saying "cutting it all right in two."

Let me say this though, he kinda lazily says "ting-it-all." The "cut" sound is undisputibly evident, but the way he sings the rest of it until "right in two" is just a case of a couple of words not being clearly punctuated in the line.

Cheesegreater
03-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Also, the line you're suggesting is just so loopy and silly for someone to speak it. "Cutting it all like right in two" or what have you. I mean Maynard isn't a valley-girl.

hobblegobble
03-02-2007, 10:20 AM
yeah he just kinda goes "cutting uuuUuUuUut all right in two"

Esurient4Truth
03-02-2007, 11:56 AM
You want it to fit. I'm still old-school. I think he's saying "cutting it all right in two."

Let me say this though, he kinda lazily says "ting-it-all." The "cut" sound is undisputibly evident, but the way he sings the rest of it until "right in two" is just a case of a couple of words not being clearly punctuated in the line.

I'm not bashing you, so please, don't take anything I say offensively (as I often come off as an offensive person).

Now, I looked into this heart and soul.

CUT-TING IT ALL RIGHT INTO
In the song, you hear CUT ___ RIGHT IN TWO, that's evident.

So what do we make of the TING & IT bits and pieces?

Okay, after you hear CUT pronounced, you hear an aye, or aight sound. The only reason I don't think it's CUTTING is because it would be hard to drag the ING out for that long. It would have to be: CUT INGGGG IT ALL RIGHT INTO.

I'm sticking with:
Cut it right in all, right in two.

I can hear the plausible connection, and it just fits well. Hmm....We need more people to look into this.

Cheesegreater
03-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Don't think you're bashing me, and I certainly don't think your opinion is "stupid" or anything.

I also believe saying the word "right" one after another practically doesn't make sense. Sounds too forced.

Esurient4Truth
03-04-2007, 11:00 AM
...I don't know. Makes sense to me:
"Cut it right in all, right in two."
He's emphasizing that we are divided.

Tool really needs to start putting their lyrics in their albums (the lyrics maynard sent into toolshed are not exact with the album lyrics, and I believe all lyrics should be revised to include what the album "exactly" says). It's great that they want us to figure out the meaning of the songs, but even with lyrics, it still takes awhile.

BlueSecondSun
03-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Cutting my law right in two.

Meaning the law God gave man to love your neighbor.

I win.

Esurient4Truth
03-05-2007, 01:08 PM
He clearly says the word "it". Cut _ it all right in two. There is no "M" pronounciation for my.

So...perhaps not.

I should argue that "my law" is not not a possibility. If you listen with iTunes turn the treble booster up so you can hear the vocals better.

nighthawk
03-05-2007, 02:46 PM
"Cutting light and all"??? maybe.

Inner_Eulogy
03-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Cutting my law right in two.

Meaning the law God gave man to love your neighbor.

I win.

Sounds good, problem is, he doesn't say "my" anywhere in it. I'm still standing with "Cuttin' our love, right in two"

EDIT: UNLESS, of course he's saying "Cuttin' OUR law, right in two" (speaking in terms of them being the angels)...now that's a possibility.

hobblegobble
03-06-2007, 10:52 AM
cutting it all right in two..also..a possibility...cuttingggg uuUuUUut all right in two...also..a possbility...endless..possibilities...

Esurient4Truth
03-06-2007, 02:03 PM
OMG!

Cuttin' our love right in two - ...where's all? The word all is present.
Cutting it all right in two - I could see "Cutting it in all..."
Cutting light and all - perhaps "cutting light in all..."... nah
Cuttin' our law... - !#$@ no!!!

God, what loud music does to your ears people...*sigh.

hobblegobble
03-07-2007, 07:46 AM
hmmmmm...no light, no law, yes all, cutting it all. Case closed.

Esurient4Truth
03-07-2007, 11:56 AM
I would rather argue cutting it in all. I can clearly tell there's 4 words.

Inner_Eulogy
03-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Wish them arseholes at distortion online would've left that live version online, not that it couldn't necessarily be diff from the CD anyway but...'oh well. I'll listen to it again on the way home from work

hobblegobble
03-07-2007, 01:39 PM
I would rather argue cutting it in all. I can clearly tell there's 4 words.

cutting it in all? that doesn't make sense though....

hobblegobble
03-07-2007, 01:40 PM
I think he just kind of drags out "it" and gives it a weird sort of forced "uh" sound...

Esurient4Truth
03-08-2007, 12:33 PM
cutting it in all? that doesn't make sense though....

Sure it does. Okay, damn, normally, you wouldn't say it that way because we are lazy and we try to find the shortest way possible to do things.

I think he just kind of drags out "it" and gives it a weird sort of forced "uh" sound...

Why would he want to drag it out? By the way, the "it" would have the "uh" sound since it and all are immediately consecutive. He'd have to follow the "ing" with "uh," but either way, I can see dragging out a scream, but not a phrase.

jevons
03-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Guess what i had for breakfast this morning? Go on, you'll never guess. Not in a million years, nope.

*shakes head, crosses arms like a child*

jevons
03-08-2007, 12:42 PM
You give up? it was cheerios. Guess what was in my cheerios? A word? And another word, and another word. Here's what it said.

Cutting, cutting it all right in two.
Cutting our love right in two.
Cutting, cutting it all right in two,
right in two...
arieeeet in two-who-oooh.

This could be the last Tool ''song (since so many of you disagree with my firmly-held beliefs on the subject of filler material, and ass-to-mouth)'' we ever get, so smarten the fuck up.

Take notes, mafu****s. Take notes.

love and kisses,
Zaphod

Esurient4Truth
03-08-2007, 01:17 PM
LOL!

I think that this article has become more of a sarcastic debate rather than an argument. But I'm here to prove you wrong...on a different note.

how the hell can you get cheerios to spell fucking cutting it all right in two when they're just a bunch of fucking O's! Dude, since when did Cheerios start having C's, U's, and other letters?

It's not alphabet soup dude!

hobblegobble
03-08-2007, 02:50 PM
i think you have to have a lot of fuckin cheerios to spell that. You ate the whole box I presume.

Esurient4Truth
03-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Lol.

I don't think he could fit the whole box of cheerios in a bowl of cereal. He would have to have a really big bowl...a really big freakin' bowl with lots of milk.

Cheesegreater
03-09-2007, 01:33 AM
And all it would say:

"Oooooooooooooooooooo...... [I get it now... he says "cutting it all"]

That's what it would say.

hobblegobble
03-09-2007, 09:13 AM
waka waka

Inner_Eulogy
03-09-2007, 12:50 PM
This could be the last Tool ''song (since so many of you disagree with my firmly-held beliefs on the subject of filler material, and ass-to-mouth)'' we ever get, so smarten the fuck up.

My understanding is that they're still under contract for at LEAST 1 more album.

Inner_Eulogy
03-09-2007, 12:51 PM
LOL!

I think that this article has become more of a sarcastic debate rather than an argument. But I'm here to prove you wrong...on a different note.

how the hell can you get cheerios to spell fucking cutting it all right in two when they're just a bunch of fucking O's! Dude, since when did Cheerios start having C's, U's, and other letters?

It's not alphabet soup dude!

That's easy, if you just line them up in the forms of full letters, good job thinking outside the box though, seriously

hobblegobble
03-09-2007, 12:55 PM
literally?

Esurient4Truth
03-09-2007, 01:19 PM
My understanding is that they're still under contract for at LEAST 1 more album.

I thought under their contract that they would produce 3 albums. Aenima was the first, Lateralus was the 2nd, and now isn't 10,000 Days the 3rd? Wouldn't that mean their contract is over with?

(Not sure about the contract, but that's what happens on bad info from our wonderful network of misinformed civilians and government spies.)

Inner_Eulogy
03-09-2007, 02:38 PM
I thought under their contract that they would produce 3 albums. Aenima was the first, Lateralus was the 2nd, and now isn't 10,000 Days the 3rd? Wouldn't that mean their contract is over with?

(Not sure about the contract, but that's what happens on bad info from our wonderful network of misinformed civilians and government spies.)

No no no, their spat with the record company came after Aenima, that's why it was so long in between Aenima and Lateralus. So that would be 2 records out of 3 on the new deal they had signed for after that issue was resolved so unless the record company counts Salival as an actual record we've got ourselves at least one more, read it and weep.

Esurient4Truth
03-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Ahh...Gotcha now. (I did forget about Salival) Thanks for setting me straight.

Inner_Eulogy
03-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Ahh...Gotcha now. (I did forget about Salival) Thanks for setting me straight.

I would THINK, that Salival wouldn't be considered an actual record. If anybody knows the record business at all, does a record have to actually consist of all new material for it to fulfill a record deal or would a compilation CD like Salival count as 1??? Now that's that magic question.

Emericana
03-09-2007, 09:15 PM
it is "cut it right on .. right in two"

masta killa
03-11-2007, 07:27 AM
I'm hearing either "gotta divide it all right in two" or "cutting my law right in two". I'm more inclined to say the first is correct.

Esurient4Truth
03-11-2007, 08:38 AM
o....m.....g....

masta killa, how the hell do you hear gotta? no offense, but does anyone else here hear "gotta?"

jevons
03-11-2007, 01:06 PM
masta killa, refer to a box of cheerios; and keep it down, you are scaring some of the other children.

Salival can't be a real album because it contains a lesser percentage of new material than it does covers and other stuff.

They would never count it, nope, never.

Greatest hits albums would be in the same vein. The label is often entitled to put these things out in a lot of contracts, which is how they gouge the talent even after their contract has withered and set them free.

So i guess i'm wrong and we get another album. Let's not make a big thing of it.

But didn't anyone else take Maynards' 3D toast in the cover as a duality? Mommy and telling us to fuck off now and make our own music? No takers? Eh? Eh?

jevons
03-11-2007, 01:08 PM
And cutting could sound like gotta, quit being so mean.

*riddled with sarcasm*

God, you're always so angry. God. We should yell at you for being so mean.

*sarcasm fades*

if She can sound like He, than anything is possible.

In French, possible means possible.

jevons
03-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Connections rule.

Esurient4Truth
03-11-2007, 01:41 PM
^Nice.

I may come off as mean (sorry if I sound offensive), but I'm really a nice guy. I probably overdid it as usual. Oh well.

:) Smiley

jevons
03-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Doode, i was kidding. You know how if i had a custom title it would probably be ''RESIDENT JACKASS'' ? Fuck man, i have a terrible sense of humour. Hey, there's another word you Yanks fucked up, humoUr...

Maybe i'm a comic genius...

What's the deal with airline food?

Esurient4Truth
03-11-2007, 01:54 PM
peanuts

jevons
03-11-2007, 02:07 PM
It is far easier to catch a hangover on a plane if you are flying East.

A pidgeon once flew into a deep-fryer at an amusement park. Good Gooood God, can you imagine the sound?

chalk_line
03-11-2007, 02:20 PM
last night after driving around and pondering the "chorus" lyrics i think i figured out what he is saying.

Cut it right NOW, right in two

You don't belive me? You think i'm wrong? Probably ..but i don't care.. just listen to it and you will hear it too.. it is the most evident in the last time he says it

Now go! prove me right

Esurient4Truth
03-11-2007, 02:31 PM
it sounds like N' - all sounds like OW

hey, it's actually possible but... soundwise, it would fit. meaning wise, i don't think it would.

the song talks about angels questioning the human race, and their separation from themselves between fighting each other and what-not. So in a sense, if our civilization is already divided, why would it be cut into now? it's already been divided.

ten bucks says Jevon is gonna comment on this.

jevons
03-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Listening, ... , headphones on, ... , getting impatient , ... , ...

fast forewarding.

Rewinding.

CU-UUU-WHO-UUUT IT ALL RIGHT IN TWO.
CUTTING IT ALL RIGHT IN TWO.
CU-UU-WHU-UUUUT IT ALL RIGHT IN TWO.

and so on.

I win, still.

jevons
03-11-2007, 02:37 PM
If the song was about two hungry kids and a piece of toast, you sir, might have a point.

But i doubt it is.

Esurient4Truth
03-11-2007, 02:43 PM
If the song was about two hungry kids and a piece of toast, you sir, might have a point.

But i doubt it is.

LOL.

Always with the brilliantly humorous criticism that keeps me inclined to laugh when I'm not throwing my keyboard through the computer monitor.

jevons
03-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Oh, stop it, my penis is getting bigger.

Do you get special powers when you get a custom title? How long do i have to wait, cuz i'd like to be ''one bad motherfucker'' if the opportunity ever came up.

chalk_line
03-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Im sticking to my guns, i think its.. cut it right now, right in two... we will find out if the official lyrics are ever posted , until then let the arguements continue

jevons
03-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Jesus F. Whizzakers, what guns?

Refer to the cat who thought it was ''he used a poison in his tea;'' there is no purpose in me trying to tell you something you think you hear is incorrect. But i could suggest that you get a sound editing program (audacity is probably the best bet) and isolate the vocals.

Because you're wrong.

I win.

Enjoy your guns, Mr. Charlton Heston, they always help.

chalk_line
03-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Im sorry, but this:
Cutting, cutting it all right in two.
Cutting our love right in two.
Cutting, cutting it all right in two,
right in two...
arieeeet in two-who-oooh.

is not right...
not even close
the part you got right was "right in two"
everything else is WRONG

You don't win you don't pass go you dont collect $200

masta killa
03-11-2007, 05:04 PM
nope.

arieeeet in two-who-oooh is correct.

cutting our love right in two is possible.....omg, wait. don't get too excited yet, k.

the cutting, cutting is where I had to laugh. c'mon now.

that's not a win.

jevons
03-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Thank you, Benjamin. I am glad to see an advocate.

Fuck this guy('s opinions).

He has nothing to say, except ''nope, nuh uh.''

so fuck his ''opinions.''

Wait, you're not ben...

jevons
03-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Everything else is wrong... of course, those four words are the indisputable argument i have looked for all these years.
I always tried to proove things.

Nob.

masta killa
03-12-2007, 02:16 AM
I'm a new member here, so I'm probably considered to be a dumbass until I have a thousand posts, but I've been trying to figure this out for a while. I don't really think anybody is stupid for what they think he's saying, I was just being a smarty pants because jevons was talkin trash.

o....m.....g....

masta killa, how the hell do you hear gotta? no offense, but does anyone else here hear "gotta?"

It might seem crazy, but I swear by this now. I thought it was just "cutting it all, right in two" for a long time. Then I started to listen for "cutting my law, right in two" and I was sure that was it. Then I started hearing "gotta divide it all, right in two" ...seriously. I don't think "cutting my law, right in two" is actually what he's saying anymore, but it's there if you listen for it and it's how I started hearing "gotta (got to) or gonna (going to) divide it all, right in two". Now I'm hearing "cut and divide it all, right in two" also.

I listened really closely tonight quite a few times and damn, it can get frustrating.

Here's what I've decided on...

First Chorus

"gotta divide it all, right in two"
"gonna divide all, right in two"
"cut and divide all, right in two"
"cut and divide it all, right in two"

Last Chorus

"cut and divide it all, right in two"
"gotta divide it all, right in two"
"cut and divide it all right in two"

That's all I'm coming up with now.

tstirler
03-12-2007, 03:55 AM
I might be of here, but am I the only one that can hear
"Guide light on, right in two"

Intertwined
03-12-2007, 07:58 AM
It sounded like guide to me too. I'm not sure what it sounded like after that word.

They could've made it this undistinguishable and vague so we could make it right in two. haha.

It also sounds like "Guide my love right into" or "Guide my love right in two" ..and then in the second chorus "Cutting my love right in two."

jevons
03-12-2007, 08:39 AM
I might be of here, but am I the only one that can hear
"Guide light on, right in two"

What makes sense for the storyline? You have monkeys killing monkeys over pieces of the ground, a division of things. If we were listening to AFI, where the song doesn't have to be coherent, i might be inclined to believe either of you, musta killa or tsirler.

And, the fact is, no one ever listens around here. I might be bitter, but if you're looking to be heard or respected, i suggest you write a cookbook.
hmmmmmm, cooking with tool: One half-pound of flour, turkish hash, AND NO EGGS!

jevons
03-12-2007, 08:41 AM
The monkeys are cutting it all, therefore love (love is everything), therefore the word all and the word love have the same meaning.
And they are both being cut in half.
This keeps with the message of the song: Stop Killing other Monkeys and find out you're all the same: find love.

Esurient4Truth
03-12-2007, 11:04 AM
...and back to the story...

refering to masta killa, I highly doubt that the "cut...." statements (sentences) change. I think they're all the same.

"cut it right in all right in two" by gosh gibbity darn it.

jevons
03-12-2007, 12:28 PM
My ears might suck (this has been thrown at me recently), but i clearly hear cutting, followed by cut.

So i think they alternate, like i do with the clean and dirty undies.

Jumping Jewhosifats, i win.

Esurient4Truth
03-12-2007, 12:52 PM
damn... I think since we can't come to a conclusion, we should make a list of REASONABLE possibilities, and perhaps make a new "poll." What say you?

jevons
03-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Here's the lisst:

Moron interpretation A
Moron interpretation B
Moron interpretation C
see above D
see above D.2
see above E-Z1000
Jacks cvorrect interpretation: cutting, cutting it all right in two, cutting, cut it all right in two, cutting our love right mafucking in two. Ariiieieeeeet in two-who-oooooooh.

Poll that, sucka.

Ser-riously, give it a shot, though. You know where my vote goes, and anyone who joins my correct interpretations gets 70 virgins in the afterlife when they die.

Esurient4Truth
03-12-2007, 01:27 PM
LOL
only 70 virgins? (kid)

I may. Not tonight though...we'll see who else joins this great debate.

hobblegobble
03-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Jevons, you're turning into quite the prick my friend...

hobblegobble
03-12-2007, 03:21 PM
imo

jevons
03-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Well i have been drinking more, thank you.

Esurient4Truth
03-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Jevons, the drinking thing is kind of ironic. You bitch about how many problems society has...yet in a sense, wouldn't drinking be a problem with society?

jevons
03-13-2007, 04:22 PM
A huge problem, s'ruined my entire family.

Microcausm.

smeefsmeef
03-14-2007, 06:24 PM
He says "Cuttin' da' Tylenol right in two"

This is what he really says. FOR REAL

smeefsmeef
03-14-2007, 06:25 PM
damn... I think since we can't come to a conclusion, we should make a list of REASONABLE possibilities, and perhaps make a new "poll." What say you?

YES!!!! MAKE A POLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tryptosaur
03-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Like sugar with your Cheerios, do you?

About the song, though, think about the effect this line has on everyone who hears it. It divides us into 2 groups---those who claim to know vs. those of us who admit we don't.

NightmarexOfxFerocity
10-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Cutting life and love right in two?

parables in the world
10-23-2007, 01:12 AM
that line is either

Gotta divide it all right in two
or
Cut it, divide it all right in two

but it does fit with the monkeys theme of them having to divide it all in two.

Rhin01
11-28-2007, 02:06 AM
Hi there, I just got into the lyric thing and have been reading all the theories and stuff.
I'm right into this song, i guess cause i like the thought of the greater being (being God and Angels or whatever floats your boat) The movie DOGMA comes to mind for some reason, maybe when the two fallen angels cruise around in a resentful killing spree... Anywho, I listened really hard and initially thought it might be "god divided all right in two" and then i heard "can't divide it all right in two" what do you think?

GREEAT.

Okay, here's my theory:

Hmm....

Inner_Eulogy
11-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Hi there, I just got into the lyric thing and have been reading all the theories and stuff.
I'm right into this song, i guess cause i like the thought of the greater being (being God and Angels or whatever floats your boat) The movie DOGMA comes to mind for some reason, maybe when the two fallen angels cruise around in a resentful killing spree... Anywho, I listened really hard and initially thought it might be "god divided all right in two" and then i heard "can't divide it all right in two" what do you think?

I don't think...I KNOW you're wrong

Rhin01
11-28-2007, 02:23 PM
I don't think...I KNOW you're wrong

Hang on a second! weren't you just going on about pronounciation and all that stuff. Here's some advice for you friend : "Engage brain before engaging mouth"

orangeisgoood
11-28-2007, 02:38 PM
no idea if this has been said before but its
CUU-UUT-it all right in two....

he says cut and it really fast and sometimes doesn't even say the T in cut. but its defiantly nothing else besides "cut it all right in two". and everyone who doesn't agree. i really couldn't care.

Inner_Eulogy
11-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Hang on a second! weren't you just going on about pronounciation and all that stuff. Here's some advice for you friend : "Engage brain before engaging mouth"

What's your point dumbass? It's not "can't divide it all right in two". It just isn't, get over it.

Inner_Eulogy
11-29-2007, 10:33 AM
no idea if this has been said before but its
CUU-UUT-it all right in two....

he says cut and it really fast and sometimes doesn't even say the T in cut. but its defiantly nothing else besides "cut it all right in two". and everyone who doesn't agree. i really couldn't care.

Well I agree on some of it but I'm still on the fence between the following 3:

A) "cuttin' our love, right in two"

B) "cuttin' our law, right in two"

C) "cuttin it all, right in two"

However, I've been 99% sure of A) since day one and I'm sticking with it until something official says otherwise.

orangeisgoood
11-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Well I agree on some of it but I'm still on the fence between the following 3:

A) "cuttin' our love, right in two"

B) "cuttin' our law, right in two"

C) "cuttin it all, right in two"

However, I've been 99% sure of A) since day one and I'm sticking with it until something official says otherwise.

im gonna laugh when the offical lyrics come out so i can say, "told ya so" to all of you that think otherwise. i have a strong opinion on this one...

Inner_Eulogy
11-30-2007, 10:35 AM
i have a strong opinion on this one...

Don't we all....

orangeisgoood
11-30-2007, 05:42 PM
the best way to handle this, is drop it. i know were not going to change our oh, so strong personal opinions, or rather i know i wont.

Inner_Eulogy
12-01-2007, 01:43 PM
the best way to handle this, is drop it. i know were not going to change our oh, so strong personal opinions, or rather i know i wont.

Yeah, you're better off smokin a bowl and staring at that dancing bananna of yours

orangeisgoood
12-01-2007, 02:10 PM
i think you mix up banana with orange slice. oranges are orange, bananas are yellow. its all in the colors man...

orangeisgoood
12-02-2007, 02:33 PM
i don't think so. he says it too fast to cram all of that stuff in there.

orangeisgoood
12-04-2007, 07:58 PM
well im "old school" simplicity is a bitch aint it?

Inner_Eulogy
12-05-2007, 10:58 AM
i think you mix up banana with orange slice. oranges are orange, bananas are yellow. its all in the colors man...

I stand correct...nonetheless, my point still stands.

Inner_Eulogy
12-05-2007, 10:59 AM
cutting ahole right in two

cutting alliknow right in two

put the words real blended together, ahole, alliknow

How about you think of "cuuutin' our lo-ove, right in two" the next time you listen to it....I'll bet you it fits. Although, the V is pretty silent.

orangeisgoood
12-05-2007, 08:58 PM
nooo! old school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

tooltomus
12-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Without a doubt, this lyric has been the most debated one since the ridiculous "X yogi DMT" and "vanilla chig champa" lyrics that kicked our asses for six months.

orangeisgoood
12-07-2007, 06:49 PM
maybe.

oualt-edu
12-08-2007, 12:52 AM
i don't think that the official lyrics will ever be released... just a big question mark FOREVER

Inner_Eulogy
12-08-2007, 02:03 PM
F??O??R ?R RRE?VE?R

Yeah, somethin like that

orangeisgoood
12-08-2007, 02:21 PM
this lyric pisses me off because none of the current options really feel right consistently.

They're all awkward to hear/say

then the simplest route would be be the wisest one imo.

tooltomus
12-09-2007, 04:09 PM
this lyric pisses me off because none of the current options really feel right consistently.

They're all awkward to hear/say

I totally agree with you. NONE of the suggestions are easy to make sense out of. Just like I said about the "x yogi DMT" and "vanilla chig champa" lyrics that none of use were able to decipher. Something is missing in everyone's analysis of the lyrics.

orangeisgoood
12-09-2007, 04:22 PM
occam's razor doesn't apply to lyrics, moron.

*facepalm*

who's what?

orangeisgoood
12-10-2007, 08:13 PM
what about fooling? na, thats TOO lame.

eyedriht
01-04-2008, 07:25 PM
sorry to interupt. But It almost sounds to me like "cutting our world right in two". The song is about Maynard losing his mother right? seem to fit to me.

ufopancakes
01-13-2008, 03:46 PM
does anyone have software that can cut out all the instruments except the vocals? I think that would help

eyedriht
01-13-2008, 07:15 PM
I thought the song was just about humanity's general tendency to fight and scream over something that isn't ours in the first place. It doesn't seem to have a very strong connection to his mother at all.

Well either way I still think it sounds like cutting our world right in two : }

Rubb.
01-13-2008, 08:41 PM
People still think this is anything other than gotta divide it all? fuckin' gosh.

tooltomus
01-15-2008, 05:07 AM
People still think this is anything other than gotta divide it all? fuckin' gosh.

I have never heard the "divide" part.
Or the "gotta".

Rubb.
01-17-2008, 03:42 AM
YOUR FACE IS A TROLL

๖ۣۜThe Stove๖ۣۜ
01-17-2008, 04:09 AM
I haven't read most of the thread, but I want to mention one thing:

Anytime I've thought Maynard was lazily pronouncing a word, he was actually saying something else that I didn't think about. I can't think of the examples right now, but I'll edit this post when I remember them.

Anyways, the reason I mention this is 'cause for the first time ever, it seems that he's lazily saying something during the chorus, whatever it is between "cutting" and "all right in two".

tooltomus
01-17-2008, 09:03 AM
I haven't read most of the thread, but I want to mention one thing:

Anytime I've thought Maynard was lazily pronouncing a word, he was actually saying something else that I didn't think about. I can't think of the examples right now, but I'll edit this post when I remember them.

Anyways, the reason I mention this is 'cause for the first time ever, it seems that he's lazily saying something during the chorus, whatever it is between "cutting" and "all right in two".

I agree. The other post suggested "guiled by love right in two"
That sure would be lazy pronounciation.

eyedriht
01-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Yeah, this phrase is one of the tougher ones on this album. wish we could get the official lyrics.

parables in the world
01-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Its "Cut, and Divide it all, right in two." like a recipe. You cut it, Divide it into two.

bassmaster
01-28-2008, 02:23 AM
I honestly think these days he's simply saying "Cuuu-uuuut it all, right in two"

Inner_Eulogy
01-28-2008, 01:19 PM
I honestly think these days he's simply saying "Cuuu-uuuut it all, right in two"

nah

parables in the world
01-30-2008, 01:36 PM
heh he might just be harmonizing..."Cut-ah-nana-nana right in two"

Inner_Eulogy
01-30-2008, 02:34 PM
heh he might just be harmonizing..."Cut-ah-nana-nana right in two"

Cut a banana right in two? Yes of course, seems quite plausible

jasminæ
02-03-2008, 03:32 PM

i think there is nothing more to it than that. that's the only thing i ever heard, it's pretty funny to see all these different versions. it will be really interesting to see the official lyrics.

Mad.Arsenal
02-05-2008, 08:17 AM
"Cut and divide it all right in two". As has been mentioned several times already.

Imo, the song is about how "these talking monkeys" have a silly habit of dividing and fighting eachother instead of living in unity. The key concept is the division instead of happy unity. Unity = good. Division = bad.
But humans always divide in two, manifested clearly in the dominance of duality in religion, dark/light, good/bad, them/us, etc. Later probably manifested as hegelian dialectic or lately the two-party system of democracy.

The whole song is about the idiocy of humans dividing into two opposing fractions. To me there can be no doubt at all that he's infact singing "cut and divide it all right in two".
Or "cut 'n' divide it all right in two." Afterall, isnt that what the whole point of the song is? Human division "right in two"?

Apart from that, God didnt give man Free Will, as Maynard writes. Actually that was Gods worst nightmare! The serpent gave us Free Will ;- )

Cheesegreater
02-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Cut and divide is a little repetitive, don't you think? Maynard usually avoids redundancy in his lyrics.

๖ۣۜThe Stove๖ۣۜ
02-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Maybe he's implying that whatever we can't physically cut, we will theoretically divide.

LoLoL

Inner_Eulogy
02-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Maybe he's implying that whatever we can't physically cut, we will theoretically divide.

LoLoL

It's all a fine and dandy idea but, I'd suggest investing in some Q-Tips if you can somehow hear "cut and divide" in those lyrics. We may not know for sure, I still think it's "cuttin' our love, right in two" however it could very well simply be "cuttin' it all, right in two" but to hear "cut and divide" anywhere in there I'd seriously have your ears checked or check yourself into the local inpatient nuthouse.

eyedriht
02-06-2008, 12:44 PM
LMAO

ufopancakes
02-07-2008, 06:55 AM
I'm inclined to think that his first word may not be "Cut". I was thinking "Guide" or something with an "I" sound. It becomes more pernounced when he raises his voice at the very end... although the last time he sings it, it could be a different word.

Maybe "Cutting light and all right in two" "Cutting light and LOVE right in two" Or "Guiding light and all right in two" or "Guiding Light and love right in two". I'm sure there is a reason they've put off posting the lyrics to this song... it seems like a key to really understanding this album.

ufopancakes
02-07-2008, 07:02 AM
I just watched a few videos of Tool performing this song... and Maynard was really flat on every one of them... And the syllables were even more obscure.

bassmaster
02-21-2008, 08:08 AM
I honestly believe he's making one vowel sound like more than one syllable. You know, he's written a melody, has the lyrics already down and now stretches a lyric to fit the melody. He does it a bit in his vocal melodies in certain songs.

๖ۣۜThe Stove๖ۣۜ
02-24-2008, 06:00 PM
It's all a fine and dandy idea but, I'd suggest investing in some Q-Tips if you can somehow hear "cut and divide" in those lyrics. We may not know for sure, I still think it's "cuttin' our love, right in two" however it could very well simply be "cuttin' it all, right in two" but to hear "cut and divide" anywhere in there I'd seriously have your ears checked or check yourself into the local inpatient nuthouse.

NO!!! YOU'RE insane!!! To the tee I hear: cut ed in ite it all, right in two. On one out of the four times he says it per chorus(except for the last chorus, where he peaks and just says Right in Two again), I can even hear the V before the "ite" in "cut ed in ite" (I also can hear "Cut ed in IET" on one)

Cut and di-vide

cut-ting our love??? That doesn't sound like it at all! Not only that, but it would also be the most lame slice of lyrics that Gaynard has ever written.

Inner_Eulogy
02-25-2008, 09:52 AM
NO!!! YOU'RE insane!!! To the tee I hear: cut ed in ite it all, right in two. On one out of the four times he says it per chorus(except for the last chorus, where he peaks and just says Right in Two again), I can even hear the V before the "ite" in "cut ed in ite" (I also can hear "Cut ed in IET" on one)

Cut and di-vide

cut-ting our love??? That doesn't sound like it at all! Not only that, but it would also be the most lame slice of lyrics that Gaynard has ever written.

Not really, you just like to argue with me is all.

tooltomus
02-25-2008, 02:48 PM

Cut and di-vide

Totally agree with you for the first time. I really don't know why I wasn't hearing it before, but it is so clear as day to me now. CUT AND DIVIDE IT ALL.

Inner_Eulogy
02-26-2008, 06:28 AM
Totally agree with you for the first time. I really don't know why I wasn't hearing it before, but it is so clear as day to me now. CUT AND DIVIDE IT ALL.

Cut and divide our love right in two....how's that for a compromise? lol

K1DA
02-26-2008, 01:40 PM
From live recordings I can hear plain as day "cuuuuuut my love" 95% of the times he sings it. the others it kind of sounds like "cutting my love" and 1% of the time I hear "cut it all."

Rolo
02-27-2008, 02:17 PM
From live recordings I can hear plain as day "cuuuuuut my love" 95% of the times he sings it. the others it kind of sounds like "cutting my love" and 1% of the time I hear "cut it all."

Maybe it's just me, but i miss 4%.

K1DA
02-27-2008, 03:25 PM
those 4% are "cuttING my love." yes wi si?

Rolo
02-27-2008, 03:37 PM
You must have a scalpel to cut those 4%, imo ;)

K1DA
02-27-2008, 07:32 PM
You must have a scalpel to cut those 4%, imo ;)

Swiss army brand pocket knife was my tool of choice. I don't even know what I'm talking about right now to be honest though.

squall83
03-05-2008, 12:15 AM
ok, i'm not sure if anyone is still reading this, and i don't know if this has been resolved yet (i'm definitely not going to read through 4 pages of this to find out.)

if you listen to this real closely you will see that all 4 times he is simply saying "cut it all right in two"

the only thing that's throwing you guys off is the way he is saying the word cut. he stretches the word out long and adds some inflection to it by putting the back of his tongue closer to the roof of his mouth. Effectively making the word's pitch kind of go up then back down. i'm 100% sure of this and if you guys will just sit down and give it just one more listen (don't over-analyze) i'm sure you will notice. if you still don't believe this just try singing these lyrics yourself out loud with this inflection and you will clearly notice.

later

Rolo
03-05-2008, 12:38 AM
ok, i'm not sure if anyone is still reading this, and i don't know if this has been resolved yet (i'm definitely not going to read through 4 pages of this to find out.)

if you listen to this real closely you will see that all 4 times he is simply saying "cut it all right in two"

Jee! No one thought of that earlier. Thanks alot :(

Please, do read earlier posts in the future..................

squall83
03-05-2008, 03:50 AM
Jee! No one thought of that earlier. Thanks alot :(

Please, do read earlier posts in the future..................

well i figured somebody probably already thought of that, but i also think i've pretty well proven that he is indeed saying "cut it all right in two". so whoever the webmaster here is should probably change the lyrics page.

K1DA
03-05-2008, 07:32 AM
well i figured somebody probably already thought of that, but i also think i've pretty well proven that he is indeed saying "cut it all right in two". so whoever the webmaster here is should probably change the lyrics page.I love tool fans.

Inner_Eulogy
03-05-2008, 10:01 AM
I love noober tool fans.

fixed

K1DA
03-07-2008, 01:54 PM
I believe TOOL is a victim of the 80/20 rule. That is, 80% of their fans are getting 20% of what the band gives, and vice versa.

Inner_Eulogy
03-07-2008, 02:02 PM
I believe TOOL is a victim of the 80/20 rule. That is, 80% of their fans are getting 20% of what the band gives, and vice versa.

Sounds the ratio of idiots in the world to the ones with some actual intellect and common sense

K1DA
03-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Sounds the ratio of idiots in the world to the ones with some actual intellect and common sense
Yeah no joke, that may even be a little generous.

Nong
03-17-2008, 04:02 PM
I hear cutting light and love right in two, or cutting our love right in two. I don't hear anything that sounds like divide at all.

๖ۣۜThe Stove๖ۣۜ
03-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Also, verses end with "bound to divide it right in tow", I think that slightly further suggests that I am right. The people hearing other shit must have inferior genes.

Inner_Eulogy
03-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Also, verses end with "bound to divide it right in tow", I think that slightly further suggests that I am right. The people hearing other shit must have inferior genes.

Bullshit, I've got Levi's.....501's