PDA

View Full Version : interesting yet without real significance.

the_chef
11-29-2002, 08:10 AM
this evening i listened to lateralus, the song that is, which is not particularly out of the ordinary. i was extraordinarily bored, so i put on and muted the parabola video. they didn't start at the same time, really, which is why i say this was completely random, but i had a pretty amazing moment.

lateralus was approaching the peak, nearly to the point where you have to decide between a grapefruit to the head or deadly electrocution. as the line "and following our will and wind..." drew nearer, the video approached the moment when mr. tendrils screams in the general direction of that semitetrahedric collection of spheres. I had thought in the back of my mind that the image and the music went together extraordinarily well, but then i was stunned, shocked, amazed, and speechless to see that random chance had landed the moment when that scream begins in the video, maynard hit that intense moment right as lateralus peaks, right on the word "following". i've seen videos that didn't match the song they were intended for that well. it was incredible, although decidedly insignificant. this isn't like the fucking dark side of oz or something like that, it was pretty random, and regardless of that it was incredible. you might say it "blew my mind" if you were the kind of person to say that sort of thing.

just now, for fun, i put on the parabola video with lateralus actually synched up to the first note of parabol, as close as i could get anyway. i'd say it was close.

you could do something like that, and read a lot more into than you should. there's so many different things that happen between the video and the song that probability dictates some things will line up. you can read way too much into that, and be stupid, but the parabol/a video fits lateralus quite nicely. also, while lateralus takes a bit longer to fade away, i've noticed that parabol and parabola together are just a few seconds off from the total length of lateralus.

one thing i noticed just now when i tried to synch the video with the song as well as i could is that the line "and open wide to suck it in/i feel it move across my skin", and possibly the rest of that verse (or whatever you want to call it), fits notably well into the images you see, to the point where it might not have been a coincedence.

but here's how i look at it: if i've got the time and the effort to spare to play a good song to an equally good or arguably better song's video, if i can think to look for it, then tool has probably thought that they could do it. Not that they did or would in every case, but the thought might have crossed their mind. honestly, i wouldn't put it past them to hide a few little things like that in a video. however, even if it is intentional, it's probably just for fun more than anything else.

well, just something i thought was interesting. ignore away.