PDA

View Full Version : My friggin' God check this out!

Cheesegreater
02-27-2007, 09:06 AM
It seems possible this has been posted before, but I just had to share when I saw it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QigyYZ5VTvo

They call him MachineGunDan. This cover of Ticks and Leeches just blew me the fuck away. He's not Danny of course, but this shit he's pulling off is very tight, and he's nailing it. You guys should see this video and let him bash your face in a little and tell me what you think.

Peace guys!

jevons
02-27-2007, 10:56 AM
What's to say? Thank you.
The piano version beside it is somehow much darker to me. Dark, in like a Legend of Zelda sort of way at times.
Not to offend...

Bogart
03-21-2007, 08:53 AM
That's pretty good indeed.

BLaF715
03-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Hearing it is great, but watching it is so much better because you can see just how difficult it is to play.

Hodge
03-21-2007, 10:20 AM
ya i love watching ppl on youtube
makes me wish i had the co-ordination to drum

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
03-21-2007, 11:49 AM
they should use this guy while danny is nursing his injury haha Good stuff. He is awesome..Almost Danny Carey Almost

jevons
03-21-2007, 12:24 PM
If you ever even think to replace Danney again, Medieval times.
Medieval times.

He's a witch. Burn him.

Nothing beats Danney's drums. I've had the Bonnham/Carey debate. I've had the Pert/Carey debate. I've had too many debates, but as soon as the debate heads down the ''innovative'' road to lake polyrhythm, every other drummer stays dry.

This guy's a nice photocopier, though.

SMEPman
03-21-2007, 01:45 PM
If you ever even think to replace Danney again, Medieval times.
Medieval times.

He's a witch. Burn him.

Nothing beats Danney's drums. I've had the Bonnham/Carey debate. I've had the Pert/Carey debate. I've had too many debates, but as soon as the debate heads down the ''innovative'' road to lake polyrhythm, every other drummer stays dry.

This guy's a nice photocopier, though.

I agree, but The Professor is very very tough to top. It's Peart , btw.

If "Machine Gun" was on American Idol, I wouldn't put him through to Hollywood. Yea, Ticks is hard to play, but that was a lack luster imitation for me personally. I mean he looks like he's working way too hard. DC is the man and makes it looks effortless obviously, but this guy is all muscle and no finesse."

Cheesegreater
03-21-2007, 02:21 PM
I agree, but The Professor is very very tough to top. It's Peart , btw.

If "Machine Gun" was on American Idol, I wouldn't put him through to Hollywood. Yea, Ticks is hard to play, but that was a lack luster imitation for me personally. I mean he looks like he's working way too hard. DC is the man and makes it looks effortless obviously, but this guy is all muscle and no finesse."

Glad people finally started giving this video a gander. "Lack-luster imitation" is a little harsh though. Anyone that can play Ticks and Leeches and nail all the time signatures, has my respect. I'm not an awesome guitarist, but it's very difficult just to keep up with the beats on guitar. Like matching the triplet beats. That little "duh-na-na" guitar triplet is more difficult to nail than it would seem cause Adam is matching him beat for beat.

I do agree however that he is by no means a DC. Danny is graceful, and this guy likes to hotdog it (like a lot of young drummers). All in all, the dude is fucking talented, and he could very possibly become fantastic with years to come. Danny has had a lot of time to master what he does. I think Danny is the best... that just my opinion, but Peart is recognized as a God to many. I didn't get too much in to Rush, though my girlfriend straitened me out recently. I still think Danny is the greatest right now.

Thanks for checking out the vid. I knew some people here could appreciate it, even though he's no DC.

-Cheese

SMEPman
03-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Good points, Cheese. IMHO Tool without Danny is just Too. He kind of holds everthing together like glue. He does have similar qualities to someone like Peart...beautiful timing, exquisite skill, but most importantly he and adds his emotional element to each piece. He provides much more than just a beat like a lot of drummers do. To say one is better, you almost have take them out of context, but it's within the context that makes them great.

Don't watch that video next time, just listen to the audio. You can hear how off he is in some parts and how hard he has to beat the shit of the drums to try and play along. But I definitely give him mad props for trying, I sure as hell couldn't do that.

Cheesegreater
03-22-2007, 07:41 AM
I noticed a couple of his slip-ups as well. I know this is highly arguable, but I think that T&L is the epidome of masterful drumming. I would explain how, but I'd be getting into technical jargon pretty heavy. Personally, I think it may be Tool's best drumming. I mean, I love Triad, but that's totally a "jam song".

For this guy to remotely come close to T&L is amazing. There's hardly any drummers out there brave enough to tackle this piece. You say a couple of times he's off which I agree, but what the times he nails it? For instance, the rolls where he says "Take what you want and then GO!" He nails those fucking rolls every time they come around. It's the rolls with heavy bass pedal with hits all across the top drums. Pretty hard shit to pull off.

He also does Stinkfist pretty well. Granted he doesn't have the snyth drums that are used, but he nails it, and of course, it's a more straight-forward piece to cover. He also doesn't use his "brute" force as much. Anyway, good points all the way around.

Peace

Bogart
03-22-2007, 08:05 AM
they should use this guy while danny is nursing his injury haha Good stuff. He is awesome..Almost Danny Carey Almost

Let's not lose our heads here

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
03-25-2007, 08:01 PM
im sorry

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
03-25-2007, 08:03 PM

this was a joke everyone...lets not get mad at Clutch. thank you have a nice day...Listen to TOOL and Have sex with hot girls. peace

the_milkman
04-10-2007, 02:27 PM
this guy's really good, he will probably be big soon!

Tezcatlipoca
04-25-2007, 12:00 PM
WOW , if thats real ,which it should be, he is really good , if you can jam out to ticks and leaches you've got to have some sort of skills.