PDA

View Full Version : Benevolent SUN

<Insertcrypticnamehere>
02-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Everyone seems to be assuming that MJK is saying "son" and talking about Jesus. To be honest, the first time I heard the song I thought he was saying "Sun." There's no official lyrics so there's obviously no definitive answer to this but I find this one word changes my entire interpretation of the song. I might be way off but I honestly thought this song was an homage to Gaia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis - If you're unfamiliar) I feel that many of the messages in the song have to do with indulgence and excess at the expense of the earth.

"Here from the King's Mountain View, Here from the wild dream come true"

I have made it to an elite and successful status I could have never imagined.

"Feast like a Sultan I do, on treasures and flesh never few"

Plundering the earth of resources and life

"But I would wish it all, away
If I thought I'd lose you just one day"

I would stop the indulgence if i thought for a second that it was hurting the earth

"The devil and his had me down, in love with the dark side i'd found, dabblin all the way down, up to my neck soon to drown."

I had fallen into the mainstream consumer/corporate driven lifestyle consuming everything, melting the polar ice caps as the water rises.

"Pray like a [martyr / father] dusk to dawn
Beg like a hooker all night long
Shout to the devil with my song
And got what I wanted all along"

Some people pray, others beg, I shouted/sang to the "Devil" (masses) and found success through that means.

"But I
I would
If I could
I would
Wish it away
Wish it away
Wish it all away
Wanna wish it all away
No price could hold sway
Or justify my
Giving away, my center"

But I would, in fact want to, wish away this success if I thought for a second that it was harming or helping to harm my connection to the earth.

"So if I could I'd wish it all away
If I thought tomorrow, they'd take you away"

So if I thought that my lifestyle and successes would contribute to the demise of the earth/Gaia at the hands of the "legions" of people who consume/plunder and destroy the earth, i would gladly give it up.

"Damn my eyes!
If they should compromise a fulcrum:
[Want and need] divide me
Then I might as well be gone..."

I hate my greed (as in the expression "my eyes were bigger than my stomach) if it is truly affecting the delicate balance/equilibrium/fulcrum of nature. If my wants are in conflict with my human needs to be in union with nature and the earth for survival/consciousness, then why even exist as such a self-defeating paradox.

"Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun
Shine down upon the broken
Shine [on 'til / until] the two become one

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun
Shine down upon the severed
Shine [on 'til / until] the two become one

[Divide and wither away
/ Divided, withering away
/ Divide, I wither away]

Shine down upon the many, light our way,
Benevolent sun.

Breathe in union

So, as one, survive
Another day and season
[Silent legions / Silently, just] save your poison
[Silent legions / Silently, just] stay out of my way"

I hope the sun keeps shining down upon the earth and it she survives for another season without destruction. The divide between people and their environment is withering away both earth and people alike become united in existence and harmony so they can both survive. Until then, the hoards of consumer legions that have made me successful can stay out of my way, saving their "poisoning" of the earth through materialism and greed for themselves because I don't want it.

P.S. I know I'm way off but every time I hear this song I naturally conjure up these images/metaphors in my head. just my initial reaction to the song the first time I heard it.

Carbonatedgravy
02-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Probably the best Jambi theory I've seen so far. Of all the songs from 10,000 Days, this has had the most absurd ideas surrounding it. This one is good though. I'll buy it.

<Insertcrypticnamehere>
02-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Just having fun with this: JAMBI is an anagram of "BIJAM" which is ancient sanskrit for "the seed, source or essential truth"

I know this is a real reach/wacko but it's fun for me so go screw. (jk)

jonboy
02-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Everyone seems to be assuming that MJK is saying "son" and talking about Jesus.
Not So.

Arkham Asylum
02-19-2007, 08:01 PM
That's really weird. What the thread starter posted is also what I've always heard when I listened to "Jambi". Believe me, I don't want any credit for it, but I'm just surprised to find someone else who heard it the same way (right down the the Gaia hypothesis.)

wearethestories
02-20-2007, 10:04 AM
I don't know how much I buy the "gaia" philosophy, but all the talk about this song being about Jesus or about Christianity (though I still maintain that there are themes pulled from Scripture in here) has gotten really old and hasn't seemed to bear much fruit.

This is the first original theory that actually makes sense. I think what I will end up pulling from this idea is the thought that Maynard is talking to something inanimate - that it's not a person (his son, mother, or Jesus) he's speaking of losing, but something intangible. Whether that's the earth or his sense of moral code/personal philosophy or any other non-physical ideas is up to much interpretation and further discussion.

Alex in Chains
02-22-2007, 03:22 PM
I don't know about the Gaia connection, but I always thought it was "sun," if for no other reason than the word "shine" right before it. I mean, seriously, regardless of who ends up being right, why would the MAJORITY of people here think it was "son" and not "sun" if the line is "Shine on, benevolent ___"?

I don't know how much I buy the "gaia" philosophy, but all the talk about this song being about Jesus or about Christianity (though I still maintain that there are themes pulled from Scripture in here) has gotten really old and hasn't seemed to bear much fruit.

Just like this "silence legion" nonsense (or, my all-time favorite, "benched along with patience and reason" in "Right in Two" -- anyone who thinks that's the line shouldn't be allowed to listen to music anymore*). I guess no one likes easy answers.

*EDIT: Except you, wearethestories. I didn't realize you were . . . one of them, but you're okay in my book.

]v[edusa
02-22-2007, 07:19 PM
i like this view on jambi. i think it fits well. i also think that there are many different views that can fit just as fine. you can def. see this song having different levels of meaning.

wearethestories
02-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Just like this "silence legion" nonsense (or, my all-time favorite, "benched along with patience and reason" in "Right in Two" -- anyone who thinks that's the line shouldn't be allowed to listen to music anymore*). I guess no one likes easy answers.

*EDIT: Except you, wearethestories. I didn't realize you were . . . one of them, but you're okay in my book.

before I got to the EDIT, I was laughing hysterically... because you described my views to the "T"... hahahaha

Alex in Chains
02-24-2007, 03:00 PM
before I got to the EDIT, I was laughing hysterically... because you described my views to the "T"... hahahaha

Yeah, I went to a "Right in Two" thread right after posting that and thought, "Oh, shit. I hope he hasn't read that post yet."

Cylith
02-25-2007, 06:54 AM
I mean, seriously, regardless of who ends up being right, why would the MAJORITY of people here think it was "son" and not "sun" if the line is "Shine on, benevolent ___"?

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong here, but I'd like to comment on this.

Jesus, the Messiah, is viewed as the Light and the way to salvation. So using the word "Shine" in reference to Jesus makes perfect sense.

Irregardless of what Tool intends with this song (which is probably NOT about Jesus), to me, it's about Jesus. That's how the song has the most meaning for me.

Arkham Asylum
02-25-2007, 09:01 AM
"Shine on, benevolent son."

Haha, maybe they're talking about Danny from The Shining.

REDRUM

Inner_Eulogy
02-26-2007, 10:50 AM
I think he's definately saying "sun" regardless if it's a metaphor for son or not.