PDA

View Full Version : "A Classic Bill Hicks" Pot -> LC -> Keys -> RS

goobermensch
02-16-2007, 01:11 PM
something else that struck me about the progression of songs after wings..

first maynard rips on government controls on "narcotics" and the hypocracy behind it.. so if you're a stonner and you're listening to this you're like yeah.. he's pro drugs wohoo..

then theres a short interlude in the form of LC which as we now know is danny and some dude tripping and doing some apache thing.

then there's Keys + RS and here maynard pulls a 180 and rips on the junkies ..

if anyone's seen bill hicks' routine on smokers/non smokers.. this stylistic technique would sound very familiar

first he rips on non smokers for being such dicks about people smoking around them.. and really rips on them for a while until everyone's cracking up.. then he goes and starts ripping on smokers and how they're physically lame etc. its hillarious.. if you havnt seen it check it out search "Bill Hicks Sane Man" on youtube.. i think he does it pretty early on..

if you see the resemblence let me know.. i think maynard's taking on after his hero and ripping on both extremes of the equation.. telling you to be open minded about experimentation but not to go overboard with it and fucking fry your brain after this shit.. which incidenatlly was also hicks' message.. i think he said that he quit drugs, not that he thinks theres nothing wrong with drugs .. he just doesnt do anything anymore apart from smoking.. that was appearently his only vice. i think he says that on sane man too.

goobermensch
02-16-2007, 01:13 PM
yeah.. i forgot to mention Hicks also used to put poetry in the middle of his comedy .. so anything that didnt make you laugh was a poem..

so Lipan Conjuring was sort of like his "A young man on Acid" bit. where Tool's just showing the beauty of all that psychadelics can be..

Headphuq
03-27-2007, 11:38 AM
Hey goobermensch, the "Stealth Banana" reference in Rosetta Stoned is from Bill Hicks too. Its on Relentless part 1. http://youtube.com/watch?v=4FusUtBdg_I

illdojo
04-02-2007, 10:44 PM
I remember watching Hicks for the first time on HBO in the mid 80's. Back then as kid Bill Hicks and Eddie Murphy taught me how to swear. When Ænima was released. I loved hearing the sample of Hicks on Third Eye, and seeing the tribute pic in the CD booklet.

sylph
05-21-2007, 02:34 AM
Bill Hicks also stated, on numerous occasions, that he and 2 friends had been abducted by aliens whilst tripping on magic mushrooms but that no-one believed him/them because he WAS tripping. He stated that this was a huge motivating factor in his decision to stop doing drugs, especially mushrooms, he said that he wanted to experience it again, totally straight.

hobbitcore
06-01-2007, 10:55 AM
"how many smokers here tonight?"
*a few people respond*
"boy look at that energy they can just pump out at will...HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGHHH...WE-HHHHHGGGHHH. HHHHHHHHHHHH....."