PDA

View Full Version : Vicarious, 10,000 days theme

one with nature
02-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Vicarious is the 10,000 days theme. It pretty much states somethign, thich a lot of peopel overlook, and then proves it to you. The Pot is actually calling all of you hypocrits. Let me explain:
Vicarious explains how someone owns a T.V. because they like to watch tragedy. They are obsessed with watching things die from a distance. Then he goes on saying that you should not look at him like a monster. He sais that with one face you say that you hate tragedy, and war, and any kind of suffering. But in reality, you are staring at the T.V. like a zombie while things die and suffer. He sais that you need to watch things die as well, so just admit it.

After this song, a bunch of tragic songs are played. One of them being wings for marie/10,000 days, lost keys/rosetta stoned, and intension, which leads to right in two. These songs are all very tragic, especially rosetta stoned. All this time the band has been playing tragic music, and you have been enjoying it all along. (note that the music itself sounds tragic, not just the lyrics) This proves to you that you need to watch things die from a distance as well. And in the middle of the album, Tool throws in The Pot to see if you realize how much of a hypocrite you are for not admitting you like tragedy.

the midas touch
02-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Good tie-in.

However, here's what I don't understand about this album: Ok, so we like to watch tragedy from a distance. So what? I don't want this shit in my life. It makes my life seem good in contrast. Had it not been for some other bloke's pain, I wouldn't have derived this pleasure. Human nature, right?

...which leads us to Intension/Right in Two. Were we really pure when we began? Were we really all team-players?

one with nature
02-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Well, I think that most people would have nothing to live for if it weren't for wars and other struggles in the world. But why we enjoy tragedy? probably so when we run out of problems to deal with we create more, that way we have a reason to live.

I haven't really given too much thought to this. Well, I have, but as a 16 year old, I don't have the experience others have. So I can't come to a good conclusion right now.

wearethestories
02-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Rosetta Stoned is hilarious... how does that fit in?

redjenova
02-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Post = DUH'd.

one with nature
02-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Rosetta Stoned is pretty tragic man...

wearethestories
02-20-2007, 09:52 AM
sad: maybe.
tragic: mehhh...
hilarious: definitely

Is it really that tragic that this character thinks he has been told the meaning of life and then "can't remember what they said"? That he thinks he was "born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending/to write it down for all the world to see"? Yes, UNLESS you remember that HE'S TRIPPING ON DMT AND HE FORGOT HIS PEN. There is an inherent sadness in this character's misconception of reality (because of the drugs that he's taking), but a definite hilarity in the very postmodern understanding of reality: of poking fun at everything... of bringing up serious questions and treating them whimsically with no hope of a solution/answer. It might help to read some plays by Tom Stoppard or other postmodern playwrights (authors might be helpful, but can tend to be too philosophical and thereby destroy their own arguments) in order to see the trend of humor mixed with pathos. But I stand by the literary understanding of tragedy whereby nothing is tragic unless a character has shown admirable qualities and then is brought down by his own (or I suppose other[s]') misdeeds and I just don't think that the character is admirable at all, and therefore, not tragic.

Wolf-R1
03-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Rosetta Stoned is hilarious... how does that fit in?

That's what I was thinking. Rosetta Stones has quite a bit of parody to it.

"Shit the bed again...typical"

And I really don't see the tragedy to it. Rosetta Stoned leaves One wondering whether or not the guy in this story actually did see "E-muther fuckin-T" or that he was just another stoned Dead Head.

Torn-tool
03-16-2007, 08:46 AM
He forgot his pen and left humanity with no message at all, he left them sinking deeper.
He is what is called a "tragic hero".... tragedy is written all over it, and yet in a hilarious picture frame. :p