PDA

View Full Version : Does Maynard screams this long live?

Carlos T.
11-28-2002, 03:57 PM
Im just curious if Maynards does the 30 second scream in the grudge live....anyone knows?

Casious
11-28-2002, 11:33 PM
Yes, i have witnessed his ability to perform this act.

Vincent
11-28-2002, 11:40 PM
Bloody hell.....he actually does it live.....how in the hell....uhh........the first time I see Tool live, I -need- to hear this.

Carlos T.
11-29-2002, 06:59 AM
thats cool ,i cant wait to get that live dvd on my hands is just that i live in puerto rico and we dont get good bands to come. im gonna see Kittie on deevember 21 second concert of my life first one was NFX here in puerto rico..well anyways who cares thanks for answering my quiestion.

rickiep00h
11-29-2002, 09:41 AM
SOMETIMES he does it. It depends. Sometimes he goes longer. :) I heard one report of him hitting 40 seconds on the last tour.

However, if his voice is in need of rest (i.e., when he's sick) sometimes he skips it altogether. It's really a discretionary thing on Maynard's part.

pink gentile
12-01-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Carlos T.
Im just curious if Maynards does the 30 second scream in the grudge live....anyone knows?

i have witnessed this amazing feat three times, and yes he does!

46&2
12-01-2002, 04:47 PM
Yeah... at the Kalamazoo concert on 10/18, he screamed for about 35-40 seconds. It was quite nice.

moonburn
12-01-2002, 08:35 PM
i actually had the misfortune of being at a concert and having to decide between seeing him scream the famous scream and saving my girlfriend and i from the carpet of people that is the floor

Un Lapin
12-02-2002, 09:23 AM
don't discount the possibility of added reverb

Carlos T.
12-02-2002, 10:20 AM
is good to know that even if he uses reverb he dosent do it exactly the same way everytime sometimes he does 30 seconds maybe 35 or 40. is always diferent.so i think he does it with his real voice without using any shit like chino moreno does or some power metal fucked-up vocalist.

browndog
12-02-2002, 11:00 AM

Yes. Every show that I have witnessed since Lateralus came out, Maynard wailed on The Grudge for at least as long as he did on the album. This includes Voodoo Fest in New Orleans, Birmingham, Pensacola and in Biloxi. And the new red backdrop during the grudge on the fall tour just intesifies that scream.

StinkfistJEff
12-02-2002, 05:00 PM
As a singer myself, i can assure u people that a good amount of reverb is used for the yell. Maynard is a great singer, indeed. My favorite of all time, but that scream with no reverb or anything would be close to impossible.

volcano lance
12-03-2002, 12:57 PM
ON a live cd I have of the tour before the summer one, he used a delay, and stopped screaming after about ten seconds. I personally timed him at sacremento on that tour as well, and he went 15.
Most likely, he's using a delay and letting that take over after a certain amount of time.
I dont dispite the fact that he can do the scream, but I dispite the fact that he does it every night or frequently, for that matter. That'd take a lot out of you, and thats near the beginning of the show.

Norfleet
12-03-2002, 08:50 PM
When I first saw them in Memphis 2001, he held it for longer than the album, right into the "Let Go" section.

This summer when I saw them in Little Rock, he only held it for half the amount of time on the album

A month ago when I saw them in Biloxi, he almost held it to the end; he only missed maybe the last couple of seconds

Depends on how he's feeling, I suppose...

flipmojo
12-03-2002, 10:02 PM
Maynard has an amazing voice... but the yell is more like 20-25 seconds (on the CD) and is not duplicated everytime (he is human). There is no way it went for 40 seconds without vocal effects.

It is a very deep and intense yell, regardless.

dan
12-03-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by StinkfistJEff
As a singer myself, i can assure u people that a good amount of reverb is used for the yell. Maynard is a great singer, indeed. My favorite of all time, but that scream with no reverb or anything would be close to impossible.

i disagree. my friend screamed for LONGER than maynard did while we were listening to the cd.

i think physical fitness has a lot to do with it. my friend, being a soccer player, was able to do it quite easily.

and besides, when i saw tool live (twice), maynard did it for the entire time.

peace!

flipmojo
12-03-2002, 10:32 PM
Was your soccer playing friend able to sustain the same pitch in his yell without cracking?

Its not hard to yell for 25 seconds. The hard part is sustaining the same intensity, pitch, tone, and being able to begin/end decent (cross fades).

My friend, a solid cigarette smoker, was able to do it easy as well. I think it has something to do with talent, desire, and emotion.

Tool!

Cracker
12-04-2002, 01:53 AM
I think its not a full on, proper scream.

You can do this thing where you constrict the airway by half closing it. It makes your voice very coarse. he could be holding a note while doing this, and by increasing the mic volume, it would sound like a regular scream.

El Deano
12-04-2002, 01:06 PM
I dont know anything about screaming, but I have witnessed it live. Its amazing. The thing that amazes me is that no other singer on the planet has the originality and pure talent to pull this off as art. And thats what Maynard does. Hes amazing.

alzimmoralius
12-05-2002, 01:28 PM
Indeed, the scream is so intense...it's not just a grunt...it sounds as if it comes from the centre of hos body...so raw and intense...who cares what he does, it sounds fucking amazing...

ATG
12-05-2002, 07:35 PM
Listen to the scream....you can hear his voice going out towards the end, struggling to hold it out half a second longer. This to me is proof that he did in fact do it.

I don't think any of us know what is or isn't possible since people are always coming along and redefining the art. Futants.

Adnar
12-05-2002, 09:27 PM
he does. Wether he does it with effect or not is another matter that I can't be sure of. Sometimes it's longer sometimes shorter, In newcastle this year he didn't do it though. Also remember kiddies: Singing along with this is NOT a good idea... <coughs up phlegm>

Googadust
12-06-2002, 02:51 AM
It was about 15 seconds long when I saw them live last year. Regardless, it was impressive, and better than most anyone could do.

crow011
12-06-2002, 04:51 AM
well, you all rule, because at the sydney australia show, he screamed for about 12 seconds . . .

at the newcastle show he completely skipped it . . . i was surprisingly quite disappointed . . .

peace and blessed be . . .

crow011 . . .

Penguin
12-06-2002, 09:20 PM
It's a yell, not a scream. =P

I have a live version and he yells for about 12 seconds.. he can probably do more.. and it is at FULL FORCE, so I don't think you can just turn up the volume and get the same effect.. hehe it's really awesome though.

TheDisturbed1
12-07-2002, 01:04 AM
my God...i call myself a Tool fan and i dunt know wot is that scream u all r tokin' about...plz lemme know wot is it and at what part of the song does it come...?...i know i am dumb!!!

Penguin
12-07-2002, 11:00 AM
In the album version of The Grudge fast forward to 6:56

Frater Linus A.
12-07-2002, 11:30 AM
Maynard actually starts the scream hunched over, takes a big breath in his diaphragm and then let's go. He screams while he arches his back. Once he passes the "vertical" position, he begins to let gravity push the air out of his body instead of him totally doing it. I've seen him arch his back until his head nearly came down to his ass, screaming the whole time. If you were to trace his head while he is performing this feat, it would form an upside-down parabola.

Think, "technique"

Meuterei
12-07-2002, 12:01 PM
The scream can definitely be done. I can do it myself, holding the same pitch throughout, for up to about 28 seconds before my voice begins to weaken. Half that if I've been singing already that day, though...

I've heard Maynard hold a scream for 30+ seconds before, without a delay or reverb, and I'm fairly sure he can still do it...

ragna16
12-07-2002, 12:31 PM
There is no need for any techno mumbo jumbo voice altering garbage, you just need to have will and a good set of lungs, although 40 seconds is unimaginable to me.

ry.
12-09-2002, 09:50 AM
in cleveland (2001 and 2002) he did the scream/yell. there appeared to be no reverb, he did the full 30 both times, without any stop, he did do the "upside down parabola" where he starts hunched over and ends bent over backwards. i think that has a lot to do with his sustain.

Machine
12-09-2002, 01:51 PM
What about there live Cd ? The line " You lied " lasts 28 seconds by my count

ShackledEidolon
12-09-2002, 02:17 PM
Im pretty sure the scream is possible...the reason that it may seem near impossible to match the CD is because we are not performing it with an audience (for 1) and we are also forcing our voices to match the pitch...personally though I can emulate Maynards voice quite well my voice is lower so it requires more air to produce the sound. I would also not be too suprised if the scream in fact was a sound produced from a semi closed windpipe and the volume turned up...its much easier to maintain the pitch that way and the intensity is easily produced by the air speeding up through the narrower gap. I think by using the technique described earlier and having the added advantage of a live crowd Maynard is more then capable of this scream...i know when i perform live my voice is much more powerful and my breath lasts much longer...so keep that in mind. Im sure even pros like Tool still get a thrill out of playing live

Scobularni
12-09-2002, 07:14 PM
Agreed, it's down to practice & technique, not effects. He's been screaming similarly since Opiate, notably the title track, so he's well practiced, and it'd be no suprise if his lungs have expanded naturally too.

Jizzlobber
12-09-2002, 11:58 PM
When I saw Tool live here in Brisbane he just screamed half of the album version. No complaints cause it still sounded just like the real thing. There’s just one thing all of you are forgetting. Some are saying you can perform this scream but are you 5ft1

Cracker
12-11-2002, 06:03 AM
haha, good point Jizzlobber, and I must say thats a very graceful name.

It could very well be a real scream, as already stated, he's had around 15+ years of practice.

Carlos T.
12-11-2002, 10:28 AM
what are you saying? that maynard is 51 years old?your wrong his is close to 40.

TheDisturbed1
12-12-2002, 07:24 AM
yeh.....its not a scream..its a yeall...and i had another version of the song which didn't had that yell....i heard the cd version and i was really impressed to hear it...its like his voice was so powerful!....thumbs up for maynard!

soberfairy
12-12-2002, 09:45 PM
in my experiences yes at the winston salem concert of 2002 anybody can ask anybody that went his scream on third eye was AFUCKINGMAZING, beautifully amazing!

tieske74
12-22-2002, 05:54 AM

Ofcourse he does, saw him do it live 4 times, one show longer and better than the other, but always impressive..

Psilo
12-24-2002, 07:28 PM
I think its definitely possible. The question of whether he sometimes "uses" reverbs and equipment to extend the length of time its going on is questionable. I personally dont care, i love listening to it either way!

LazyE462
12-27-2002, 09:07 AM
On august 23 buffalo he went about 25 seconds, iwas in the front row, i could se his mouth close at about 25 seconds. But regardless of whether he screams the whole time or not or whether he sues reverb or whatever, its the sound that comes that counts. i think that 2 years of touring would have a tough effect on one's voice, and if maynard uses a little reverb, thats fine by me.

bringerofbasses
12-30-2002, 08:11 PM
I've heard somewhere that Maynard knows circular breathing (for those whom do not know what that is, he can still sing while taking in a breath of air)...it is possible that he knows that, and it is possible that he uses technology to help extend his scream/yell/whatever you desire to call it. But I asked my friend at the Nov. 19 Phoenix show, to time Maynard when I knew that part was coming up. When he was done, my friend shouted back to me "25 seconds!"

Whether or not Maynard was using the assistance of delay or reverb or any other form of voice tweaking, is beyond me - I was too far away to see his mouth. I do believe Maynard knows how to do circular breathing, and that is what helps him hold those long notes.

..But that's just my opinion.

- Cheers, the bringer of basses.

illusion33
01-09-2003, 08:33 PM
I really dont know if it was for the whole 30 secs, but he does scream

Misanthrope
01-12-2003, 12:32 AM
The one show I have been too he would have screamed for about 20 seconds.

I have tried it myself, the best I can do is about 15 seconds...

apcdc
01-15-2003, 06:26 PM
Well when I do this I usualy screw trying to match his voice for the shout and just give it my all. At this point in time I can get close to the albumn length (but Maynard beats me every time (I havent really precisely timed myself vs. the redording)
I tried the upside down parabola technique and that seemed to extend my voice a little longer. If this works for him why dont you think he uses it for Judith? I havent been gifted to see APC live but any of the recordings ive seen he hasnt done it.
And as for the Inward/circular singing Ive been trying to do that for a a while, and I cant seem to get my vocal cords to work backwards, It comes out all garbled and raspy. And Im not 100% positive but I think my many attempts actually hurt me. I was making some more attempts to inward sing and I arrived at school and I felt some pain in my lungs. About 5 minutes into my lunch period (5th which is around 12) Im walking in and suddenly I stop and gasp because of the excruciating pain in my chest. I couldnt breathe at all. A friend told me afterwards that she thought I was going to pass out. Im not completely sure if it was the circular singing attempts that caused it but I really think 14 is a little young for a heart attack. Who knows it could just be some freak happening.

The Huntsman
01-24-2003, 12:16 PM
Yes,
I was blessed to hear the yell twice in Sacramento during the La Te Ra Lus tour.
Maynard does alter the length, and does constrict the throat to decrease the amount of breath, thus to stretch the breath out and vocalize longer.

I am also under the impression that the yell could be a word -
"Go!" as in let go. When I sing along, phlegm welcomed, I begin the yell with the word "go" and find that I can hold about twenty of the approximately thirty seconds.

At the second Sacramento concert, Maynard also performed Ticks & Leeches...
he hit every scream there, as well.
Also, the singing/screaming during the extended bridge was much, much louder than the album version...it was a part of the song.

The Huntsman

teknolojik
01-25-2003, 10:15 AM
thats cool ,i cant wait to get that live dvd on my hands is just that i live in puerto rico and we dont get good bands to come. im gonna see Kittie on deevember 21 second concert of my life first one was NFX here in puerto rico..well anyways who cares thanks for answering my quiestion.

yeah dude.. tool hit toronto twice on the lateralus tour (they headlined 'edgefest' and then they cam with meshugguh.. and luckily i had a people around me who were nice enough to accommodate my moneylessness.... the grudge scream is very real and very controlled, yet out of hand...
and kittie is from the city i now live in... don't get me started on them... i've been maintaining my own little grudge... maybe i'm just jealous

Originally posted by bringerofbasses

I've heard somewhere that Maynard knows circular breathing (for those whom do not know what that is, he can still sing while taking in a breath of air

circlebreathing doesn't work for vocals... it's for wind instruments.. that's how kenny g can play scales for like 45 minutes without rests...
what you do is let your cheeks puff out and close off your mouth at your throat (as you play, while it's full of air)... then as you force the air into the mouthpiece by compressing your cheeks and sorta using your tongue while playing, you inhale through your nose and you're ready to kenny-g it up

Cronos
01-25-2003, 10:28 AM
I was under the Impression that the scream was the word Let, but extended. It sounds like he starts with an L accent. But, that could just be because of the flick of the tongue when he's about to open his mouth and scream. Then he continues the word go in his whispers and keeps saying Let Go, softly, and builts it up to the final, LET GO!

This could be, now I just think it's a crucial part of the emotion of the song. Sometimes you just feel like you want to scream when you're angry at someone.

I've always thought some of those words in the interlude/bridge of Ticks & Leeches were suppose to be in the lyrics sheet, some of them are very audible.

Nowhere does it say Maynard sent THOSE lyrics to tdn. The fact that there's a "?" mark in the lyrics proves this theory. It's just fans telling us what Maynard's saying. They just can't figure out a few of them. Just like with Harry Manback.

Also you can do inward breathing for whistling too. I can whistle a good tune without breathing if I did that. But, really sometimes it's hard because your throat dries, and you still gotta wet your lips, and the tone may be hard to maintain breathing in.

twist
01-28-2003, 04:56 AM
I agree with huntsman, it sounds more like go then anything else, if it is "go" then it couldnt possibly be falsetto or any half clossed wind-pipe cheese simply because you can only make the "g" sound with your real voice, but however it is possible to half close your wind-pipes half way through the scream/yell to prolong it a bit more and this is what I think he does.
but then again he could be just saying ahhhhhh

thegman420
02-04-2003, 10:43 PM
Maynard hits all of the screams live, like 'good-bye' in eulogy and the scream in question. He has a certain qualit to his voice that isn't done justice on the cd's, anyone who has heard him live would agree that he sounds even better live than on the cds as unbeliveable as that may seem. The next time you get a chance to see tool live do whatever it takes to go to the show.

Adrian
02-05-2003, 05:15 AM
The live addition to 'Undertow'--"euphoria" scream is my personal favourite. Pure as hell.
He does apply reverb and echo to the scream in the Grudge BTW...the fade at the end isnt his voice necessarily 'dieing down' its the effect(s) mixing down from the mic channel.

He went nuts in Tacoma (Seattle) back in fall 2001 with the echo, ie: applying so much echo to calls like 'wear the grudge like a crown' that he was quietly laughing to himself. Effects pedals=good times.

eknick
02-06-2003, 04:48 PM
yes maynard does scream for about 30sec, i have witnessed him twice and it was amazing, EVERYONE puts up the metal finger(the indi and te pinki) and scream with him in the auckland concert i went to the last time i saw tool live.
maynard have six lungs hidden somewhere....

Toad
02-13-2003, 07:50 PM
He held it for quite some time at the VA show i went to, it was insane, reverb or none. All the people in the seats around me, and myself, were all screaming at the top of our lungs with him, it was; beyond words. The whole feel of that experience was one of the, if not the best thing i've ever felt in my entire life, and i am so thankful to have shared that with someone I love. Thankyou Allison.

3rd eye
02-13-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Jizzlobber
When I saw Tool live here in Brisbane he just screamed half of the album version. No complaints cause it still sounded just like the real thing. There’s just one thing all of you are forgetting. Some are saying you can perform this scream but are you 5ft1

U ARE FUCKING STUPID! MAYNARD IS 5FT 7', NOT 5FT 1'

Dikiznya
02-14-2003, 06:15 PM
Please, use proper grammar...and I dont think he thought Maynard was 5FT 1" in the first place.

Reuben
02-15-2003, 09:58 PM
All depends on how close you are to the mic, you can make the same sound but quietly, put the mic closer to your mouth and voila, it sounds the same. Its not hard, I can do that myself.
Still not SURE he does that, cos he does seem to be putting a lot of effort into it... could be showmanship though, but either way, its good shit.

myownidentity
02-17-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Vincent
Bloody hell.....he actually does it live.....how in the hell....uhh........the first time I see Tool live, I -need- to hear this.

Maynard is one hellofa screamer. I attempted to scream as long and as loud as him but... NO!

Grudge76
02-22-2003, 02:06 PM
Just thought id give my two cents on the scream.

Firstly for everyone whos been estimiating, its 23.5 seconds on the cd... however i feel the most accurate way of judging it live is to listen to the guitar/drums that repeat a measure of 4 times while hes screaming.

I have about 60 shows on cd from the Lateralus era, so ive heard about 60 different renditions of the Grudge itself.
On a "normal" night, maynard seems to give a 3/4 scream.... not quite the full one, but still a huge task. Half screams or none at all are usully reserved for nights when he is sick or having voice problems. Full screams are rare, but he does hold it a little extra every one in awhile

Now, i dont know if theres a surefire way of telling if thats natural or mechanicly assissted.... After seeing Tool live 6 times since 2001, I prefer to think its all done by Maynard. Anybody who gets a good look at him whiile hes doing it can see, hes screaming the whole time, and ive never seen him "stop" screaming into the mic and still heard it. Also on many of my cds it sounds like hes "running out of scream" at the end of it, just as it does on he studio cd.

Only a select few know the truth on it, but man hes got one set of lungs! This scream, the good-bye on Eulogy, The one he used to do Third eye (that he used electronics on in 2002)....Inhuman voice!!!

brilliantname
03-13-2003, 10:06 PM

He didn't at the show I was at. It was more of a 15 second scream.

FlamingEye
03-18-2003, 02:08 PM
Yes i have seen Tool 2 times (both amazing shows by the way) and he does scream for a long time

Pierre-Paul
03-23-2003, 06:46 PM
I have no doubt Maynard can sing it.

However, I'm a bit skeptical if he can do such a scream everynight on tour. It would hurt his voice way too much.

Disco Stu
03-27-2003, 10:04 AM
Maynard is a wonderful singer and all, but he uses a buttload of delay and pure volume compression live. This means that he can 1)scream for 10 seconds and have it sound like 30 2) keep screaming and have it loop so much that it sounds like 4 of him and you would barely be able to tell if he stopped screaming took another breath and then started again 3) could breath harshly and make it sound like a scream.

cainecrawford
04-20-2003, 06:45 PM
However I really don't sing all as much as I soon plan too, but I have at one point been able to keep up with the length. I quit smoking weed so maybe that will help. The other little 2 ( him and his killing self, can't say murder cause we are all murders) can kiss my ass. So I have no dought that Maynard can do this. Some say we don't really need to breathe to live. I say much Yoga.

Cracker
04-21-2003, 07:29 AM
In any live bootleg of the song, you can hear the effect loop. It doesn't mean he can't do it, but its there just in case.

The worst is in the salival version of pushit...

p to the e
04-28-2003, 01:39 PM
yea... its just like Tenacious D... Inward Singing...

Thats one reply in the bank.. Next reply...

crackerjack
05-02-2003, 09:15 PM
which part of Pushit are you talking about?

I've definitely heard a shitload of delay and reverb on versions of You Lied
and a few other songs there was at least some delay at the end of a long scream and I think sometimes he forgets about it or goes longer than he had planned on because a few versions of Crawl Away the delay of the scream overlaps the "this is love"

and for the people that are claiming 30-40 sec screams on the Grudge
they need a stopwatch
simply counting is not accurate

the CD version is only about 24 seconds long
I 've seen it live 3 times and only one time was it noticebly shorter, but I never bothered counting

chazbot
05-06-2003, 11:46 AM
Yeah i think the people claiming a 30-40 second scream are the same fools claiming that Tool played a 15-20 minute version of Triad.

hbynoe
05-12-2003, 12:01 AM
Im just curious if Maynards does the 30 second scream in the grudge live....anyone knows? he actually does it...remarkable huh...god the man has lungs like a fish or something.

hbynoe
05-12-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by chazbot
Yeah i think the people claiming a 30-40 second scream are the same fools claiming that Tool played a 15-20 minute version of Triad. actaully the halloween show in NYC version of Triad was mad ass long i am sure over 15 minutes

Astrogalis
05-13-2003, 11:59 AM
40 seconds is fucking amazing i tried to do it and i got to like 20 seconds and fell over.

superstrings19
05-14-2003, 06:02 PM
Yes in deed!!!
and OOOH does he do it!
haven't been the same since