PDA

View Full Version : wings, 10000 days + The Pot

badimo
01-31-2007, 11:30 PM
Here goes:
I think there is a connection between the three songs. The Pot is actually a response to your interpretation of Wings for Marie and 10 000 days. You can’t deny that it comes in very rude - totally doesn’t fit to the mood of the songs before it. I don’t think that’s an accident. In my opinion if they were to be taken as separate songs, there would have been some fill up or something to prepare the audience. The Pot is too dynamic and too hard. Not only there isn’t any preparation, but that twirling sound continues during the beginning of the first vocals from The Pot and connects the songs. Therefore The Pot might be fucking with you and what you might have experienced during Wings For Marie and 10 000 days.

As an argument to my point I’ve decided to go along with the songs, take the most literal interpretation and add it to my interpretation(the one above)

First what we hear from Wings is some noise which twirls around our heads ( when using headphones or surround). It continues as guitar comes in. Then Maynard’s voice comes in to quietly fill up what’s between the side-spinning music, saying “you…”. This might be(or not) a hypnotic method to make you feel that what’s happening is in your head. Those of you who had been interested in hypnosis might agree those are “Fixation” of the attention and “penetration” afterwards – which are basic techniques in hypnosis. Don’t worry, even if that’s the case it’s not harmful to your brain (there is hypnosis in every movie you see actually).
After getting the song to be happening “in” our heads, we are to become witnesses of a dialogue between Maynard and his dead mother. We are actually involved in that dialogue.

Please forgive this selfish question, but
What am I to say to *all these ghouls* tonight?
(that’s us)

None of *us* have actually been there.

None of *them* can even hold a candle up to you.
Blinded by choice, *these hypocrites* won't see.

But, enough about the *collective Judas*
(…and many more)
He is “using” the audience as an argument, in his conversation to his mother. If you think about it you’ll see that’s true.

Let’s see how that is supposed to affect the audience:
After we are involved in that epic, we are to take part in it. We realize at one point, that we are actually the vessel where the meeting happens. If there is no vessel, there could be no meeting. It is a magikal deed. Once having this thought, it blows our minds. So we think of it as something very personal, and as something that would sound crazy if spoken out! Most of us wouldn’t even admit to themselves they’ve felt that because it’s just crazy. And some wouldn’t pay any attention to anything…
The only way that seems suitable for us, to have that kind of experience, and feel free to afterwards talk about it, is when we are stoned. If we don’t know anything about hypnosis, we wouldn’t realize it is there, and it wouldn’t affect us as much, because a sober mind is more resistant. But when we are stoned it’s very easy to get affected by that suggestion, although we are not able to explain it.

So The Pot comes in as a response to that experience. It comes in rude, as coming somewhere out of our heads (echoes) while we are still pretty much “in”( that spinning sound countinues). The Pot is talking directly to you. It says: “ you asshole what have you done, you mean to tell me you’ve just raised the dead or something? You are too stoned!”

It refers to us – the moment when we are not sure how to take anything – “difficult to dance round this one…” and makes idiots out of us.

I would like to think that’s made to encourage people to feel like idiots, and to motivate them to get out of that moment of uncertainty about anything, as it places that moment right in front of them where they can’t escape.

…or that all could be wrong. Tell me what you think!

the midas touch
01-31-2007, 11:35 PM
So...you're saying I killed MJK's mother?

I'm not completely following your train of thought.
It seems like you have an idea, but maybe clarify it a little bit.

Inner_Eulogy
02-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Here goes:
I think there is a connection between the three songs. The Pot is actually a response to your interpretation of Wings for Marie and 10 000 days. You can’t deny that it comes in very rude - totally doesn’t fit to the mood of the songs before it. I don’t think that’s an accident. In my opinion if they were to be taken as separate songs, there would have been some fill up or something to prepare the audience. The Pot is too dynamic and too hard. Not only there isn’t any preparation, but that twirling sound continues during the beginning of the first vocals from The Pot and connects the songs. Therefore The Pot might be fucking with you and what you might have experienced during Wings For Marie and 10 000 days.

As an argument to my point I’ve decided to go along with the songs, take the most literal interpretation and add it to my interpretation(the one above)

First what we hear from Wings is some noise which twirls around our heads ( when using headphones or surround). It continues as guitar comes in. Then Maynard’s voice comes in to quietly fill up what’s between the side-spinning music, saying “you…”. This might be(or not) a hypnotic method to make you feel that what’s happening is in your head. Those of you who had been interested in hypnosis might agree those are “Fixation” of the attention and “penetration” afterwards – which are basic techniques in hypnosis. Don’t worry, even if that’s the case it’s not harmful to your brain (there is hypnosis in every movie you see actually).
After getting the song to be happening “in” our heads, we are to become witnesses of a dialogue between Maynard and his dead mother. We are actually involved in that dialogue.

(that’s us)

(…and many more)
He is “using” the audience as an argument, in his conversation to his mother. If you think about it you’ll see that’s true.

After we are involved in that epic, we are to take part in it. We realize at one point, that we are actually the vessel where the meeting happens. If there is no vessel, there could be no meeting. It is a magikal deed. Once having this thought, it blows our minds. So we think of it as something very personal, and as something that would sound crazy if spoken out! Most of us wouldn’t even admit to themselves they’ve felt that because it’s just crazy. And some wouldn’t pay any attention to anything…
The only way that seems suitable for us, to have that kind of experience, and feel free to afterwards talk about it, is when we are stoned. If we don’t know anything about hypnosis, we wouldn’t realize it is there, and it wouldn’t affect us as much, because a sober mind is more resistant. But when we are stoned it’s very easy to get affected by that suggestion, although we are not able to explain it.

So The Pot comes in as a response to that experience. It comes in rude, as coming somewhere out of our heads (echoes) while we are still pretty much “in”( that spinning sound countinues). The Pot is talking directly to you. It says: “ you asshole what have you done, you mean to tell me you’ve just raised the dead or something? You are too stoned!”

It refers to us – the moment when we are not sure how to take anything – “difficult to dance round this one…” and makes idiots out of us.

I would like to think that’s made to encourage people to feel like idiots, and to motivate them to get out of that moment of uncertainty about anything, as it places that moment right in front of them where they can’t escape.

What the fuck did he just say?

Dude, slow down for a minute...take a deep breath...read the insane crazy waste of space you just wrote and come to terms with it so that you may create your next post with some sanity and common sense.

badimo
02-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Ok what I’m trying to say here is:

1. The Pot is addressed directly to you – the listener in a very sarcastic way!
2. That Idea sounds crazy, so it might be comprehended only under influence of drugs.
3. The goal is to blow your mind at first and get you thinking later. It insults you, for not understanding it!

badimo
02-01-2007, 03:10 PM
What the fuck did he just say?

Dude, slow down for a minute...take a deep breath...read the insane crazy waste of space you just wrote and come to terms with it so that you may create your next post with some sanity and common sense.

I didn't waste space! I didn’t park my car in your garage right?! What’s that about?

dissected-detcessid
02-01-2007, 03:41 PM
I think this works well.
Maybe because he dropped his heart on the ground for anyone with $12.00 could buy and listen to, and he feels he needs to get his words in right after the songs, maybe before we get all stoned and try to pick apart what he's saying.

Inner_Eulogy
02-02-2007, 11:11 AM
I didn't waste space! I didn’t park my car in your garage right?! What’s that about?

You did too! And I'll have you know I had it towed and shipped to India

wearethestories
02-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Just wondering where kangaroos, lawyers, and the Government fit into me being stoned and insulted by someone who put me in a state of hypnosis to commune with his dead mother THROUGH me...

badimo
02-27-2007, 01:10 PM
The kangaroo(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_Court )
What that part says is : The innocent fans ( those that actually understand the difference between lawyers, liars and mirrors) are hung along with the guilty ones.

“Mirror” is a symbol commonly used in tool’s lyrics, however neglected by fans. It is used here as an example of what’s not understood.

Liar and lawyer sound alike. They are used to show incapability of interpretation.

The government is probably used to show how easily it is blamed for everything, with no need of evidence. It is just modern to blame so easily today.

The Pot is used, because it means two things: Pottery as craftwork, and slang word for marijuana. It is an example of how artwork( the craft) is not understood, because fans interpret it as marijuana – something which is closer to their way of thinking.

RiseToYourHalo
03-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Here goes:

(that’s us)

(…and many more)

This is how I connect these three songs:

Wings for Marie – Describes the fires of Judith’s life and gives recognition to her unconditional spiritual practice that earned ‘the pillar’ her wings. Maynard acknowledges that her efforts benefited him as well.

10,000 Days - Maynard starts addressing spiritual hypocrites as he holds himself and others up to the example of his mother.

The Pot – Confronts and exposes hypocrisy, spiritual and otherwise. The song is dripping with spiritual references. Guilty as the government we are as well. Jury is also a reference to civic duty and participatory process. We’re not doing it justice (kangaroo court) and ‘we the jury’ are hanging ourselves. We’re unmotivated (pot reference) and can’t decide to shit or get off the pot.

'High is the way, but all eyes are upon the ground' - 10,000 Days
The TRUE high way.

'You must have been ‘high’ - The Pot
The FALSE high way (we've got lemon juice and muddy waters in our eyes.)

'Blinded by choice, these hypocrites won't see' - 10,000 Days
We CHOOSE to be blinded.

The CD also ends with a call to recognize the CHOICE:

'Move by WILL alone' - Intension
'This what they CHOOSE?' – Right in Two

Salvatorin
03-12-2007, 05:11 PM
I think it has a connection to 10,000 days. If you think about it, some lyrics in wings/days might describe the ignorant and hyporcritical members of Marie's church, and then The Pot follows along, talking about igorance and hypocracy.

think this song is really about those annoying southern preachers. Maynard has never really liked them...ie. "Reverend Maynard." and that ties into the idea that none of them ever knew Marie, and the bitter sort of half-glances at the church-goers.

Salvatorin
03-12-2007, 05:12 PM
This is how I connect these three songs:

Wings for Marie – Describes the fires of Judith’s life and gives recognition to her unconditional spiritual practice that earned ‘the pillar’ her wings. Maynard acknowledges that her efforts benefited him as well.

10,000 Days - Maynard starts addressing spiritual hypocrites as he holds himself and others up to the example of his mother.great interpretatio

The Pot – Confronts and exposes hypocrisy, spiritual and otherwise. The song is dripping with spiritual references. Guilty as the government we are as well. Jury is also a reference to civic duty and participatory process. We’re not doing it justice (kangaroo court) and ‘we the jury’ are hanging ourselves. We’re unmotivated (pot reference) and can’t decide to shit or get off the pot.

'High is the way, but all eyes are upon the ground' - 10,000 Days
The TRUE high way.

'You must have been ‘high’ - The Pot
The FALSE high way (we've got lemon juice and muddy waters in our eyes.)

'Blinded by choice, these hypocrites won't see' - 10,000 Days
We CHOOSE to be blinded.

The CD also ends with a call to recognize the CHOICE:

'Move by WILL alone' - Intension
'This what they CHOOSE?' – Right in Two

great interpretation

dmurf
11-15-2007, 12:16 PM
I don't know. I'm not sure where it's posted, but one person wanted to try to explain how the songs are paired with each other (using, obviously, 10k days as the basis). If you look at Vicarious and The Pot from just the narrator's standpoint, you have a strong case to move with this 2-song thing. Vicarious' narrator is fairly simple and straightforward. Now, move on to The Pot. He's calling out anyone who thinks he's a bad person for living this way. Who are you to call someone evil for just sitting by watchign the world fall apart? What are you doing to make anything better?